WHY must Arch Linux be so HARD to install?

WHY must Arch Linux be so HARD to install?

Attached: arch.png (584x134, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It isn't hard to install. At all.
It takes 10 minutes.

If you can't install Arch then I have bad news for you...

You are below 90 iq.

This. It's actually very easy to do. Perhaps complicated if you're a direct convert from Windows and still have a phobia of the command line, but other than that it's very easy.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide

arch is easy. not as easy as FreeBSD but infinity times easier than gentoo. and don't even mention LFS.

the only easier linux distros are ubuntu-based or RHEL-based. and maybe Mint/Debian. afaik it's easier than slackware

arch is easy to install in the same sense that it's 'easy' to cut your dick off.

>the instructions were absolutely wrong.
aka i skimmed the instructions and didn't actually interpret what paths i needed to take.
i see it all the time.

>````hacker''''news javascript blowjobs can't into something that requires half a brain

wow, color me surprised

Arch is very easy to install and use!

Attached: 2018-07-10-215841_3840x2160_scrot.png (3840x2160, 3.22M)

Is this where we circle jerk about how easy arch is? Lmk

No it's about how advanced hackernews is you dip

shut up jordan

im literally a brainlet and found a youtube video that explains EVERY single thing you need to do to install Arch. Just copy and paste what he puts in there, no reading and shit required.

Hacker news
full of overpaid SJW 'entrepreneur' twits
can't install Arch
yet, the unemployed neets of Jow Forums can
I'm going to savor this for a while
:^)

Because Arch is for pretentious faggots. Anything that has install media that doesn't boot to a pleasant ncurses installer or a live desktop in the year of our Lord two thousand and eighteen automatically goes into the trash. I say this as an embedded software dev who probably knows 100x more about computers than Archniggers. I use Devuan GNU/Linux because it just fucking works. Nothing breaks when I go a month without updating it. I don't need to dig into config files or compile stuff. That shit is for nerds. No, I log in, launch Firefox, and head over to /gif/ for a nice meat beating session and then swing by Jow Forums to make an angry blogpost. There is no pacfag -Sy whateverthefuck. Only the sane defaults and a simple GUI that never changes.

Archfags get fucked.

>SJW
hacker news is constantly anti social justice, women and minorities wtf are you talking about
most people there see james damore as a hero

t. has to reinstall arch so frequently he has it down to memory

Arch was very easy to install you can literally just copy-paste instructions from a teenagers website. I'm not sure why people act as if you need to be high IQ to install it.

entirely encrypted system in 10 minutes or less (excluding the initial dd)
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=4k status=progress
# create a GPT table with an EFI and LVM partition
cfdisk /dev/sda
# format partitions
mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1
cryptsetup -v -y -c aes-xts-plain64 -s 512 -h sha512 -i 2000 --use-urandom luksFormat /dev/sda2
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 luks
pvcreate /dev/mapper/luks
vgcreate lvm /dev/mapper/luks
lvcreate --name swap --size 4G lvm
lvcreate --name boot --size 512M lvm
lvcreate --name root --size 64G lvm
lvcreate --name home --extents 100%FREE lvm
mkswap /dev/mapper/swap
swapon /dev/mapper/swap
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/boot
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/root
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/home
# mount
mount /dev/mapper/lvm-root /mnt
mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/mapper/lvm-boot /mnt/boot
mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
mount /dev/mapper/lvm-home /mnt/home
# connect to the inet
wifi-menu
# init package database
pacman -Sy
# sort mirrors
pacman -S reflector
reflector --sort rate --protocol https --number 100 --fastest 50 --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
# install
pacstrap /mnt base base-devel fish git vim
genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
arch-chroot /mnt fish
passwd
chsh -s /usr/bin/fish
# bootloader
pacman -S intel-ucode grub efibootmgr
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/crypto_keyfile.bin bs=512 count=8
cryptsetup --key-slot 7 luksAddKey /dev/sda2
# set grub config:
# GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y
# and cryptdevice=/dev/by-uuid/UUID:luks kernel parameter
vim /etc/default/grub
# set mkinitcpio config:
# FILES=(/crypto_keyfile.bin)
# and encryption+lvm2 hooks
vim /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
# install
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=GRUB --recheck
mkinitcpio -P
chmod 400 /crypto_keyfile.bin
chmod 600 /boot/initramfs-linux*

done...

>4g swap
for what purpose?

you literally have a fat32 filesystem? using linux?

lmgtfy "EFI"

I meant
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/lvm-boot
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/lvm-root
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/lvm-home

why not, configure the swappiness however you want

efi, dumbass

>swap
Just trying to rustle your jimmies. I'm a first worlder using 3rd world computers as well.

Distcc is for the kids

If you think that swap is just an extention of your physical RAM, you're wrong. But since I don't expect some Murrican lardass on 4chin to ever do some research by himself, I'll just let you continue with your bullshit. Good luck. And btw, my desktop has enough of ram for what I am using it for (32GiB) and my notebook as well (8GiB). And since I'm from DE, we both know who the guy living in a 3rd world cunt here is

Lets make this an informative post Dutchman. Tell us why you need 4g of swap?

>DE
>Dutchman
yikes

>DE
>deutschland

Why 4gigs for swap if you have that much ram? Srs.

this man speaks the truth

gentoo is way easier to install because it has a sane installation guide, arch's new guide is absolutely shit

you want your swap to be as big as your ram if you plan on using hibernate

>and don't even mention LFS.
LFS is easier to install than Arch. No jokes here.
On Arch I wasn't able to do desktop, while on LFS I compiled everything manually and after some time reading about x.org I had my XFCE working there.

Thank you for a sane answer. I don't use hibernate in any of my setups but that makes sense.

I don't care about systemd OS although pacman festa seems fun.

Attached: computers are racists.jpg (450x200, 68K)

I installed Arch in my first month learning Loonix
If you think that Arch is hard you are certified retard.

>been around since SunOS 4 back in the early 90s
>can't figure out pacstrap
wew

at least it's not as hard as debian. Even linus himself can't install that.

Only good post in this thread.
I wish Jow Forums would die.

Uhhh bro, do we go to the same HN? You're crazy if you really think that.

Try installing Arch with the wrong instructions

just because you can't say nigger and faggot doesn't make it a SJW website
it's very conservative even when sometimes the top comment will be some "hey guys we should consider homeless people human beings" that's only because the rest of the comments are saying to remove them at gunpoint
I've seen plenty of high up comments supporting or at least defending trump on HN

what do you need instructions for? the only arch-specific thing involved is 'pacstrap', and it's own help is enough to use it. the rest is all just standard tools and generic methods
if you've installed debian before using debootstrap it's basically the same thing
if you need to be told every since command, you should either be looking in what each command does, since you clearly are doing this to learn how it's done, and if not, why are you using this and not something like antergos?

There's nothing wrong with turning homeless "people" into biofuels.

>You must be conservative to defend Trump
Kelly

When I was living in Japan he visited, news just reported it as it happened, Abe poured his fish food into the carp pond, Trump looked over to him and followed his lead.

Look on Facebook, people exploding about how Trump is a selfish asshole and embarrassing the U.S. and that he should be impeached for it.

They shared hit piece articles written by news, which all included an edited video - An American news outlet literally edited Abe out of that part of the news to make Trump look like an ass, then wrote a hit pass.

At the time I could not find the original video in the western sphere of the net.

There's been so much shit like this, that even if the news were to publish a positive story in him, I would be suspicious and question what they're playing at.

Trump automatically gets the benefit of the doubt and news stories automatically get disbelieved unless proven for me, since the long track record of total bullshit since the presidential campaign by the American news getting ever more ridiculous.

I've also only ever voted for left wing parties.

Cops don't snitch on dirty cops
Journalists don't snitch on dirty journalists

Crux is much easy to install than Arch

Arch is actually easy to install and use

kek this

>Alienware

Install something else. Not everything is meant to be baby duck's first operating system.

>Literally wrote my own guide to install it the way I like it
Starting with Arch was probably a bad idea.

arch loonix is soo hard to install
>1. download iso
>2. bootable usb
>3. wget archfi
>4. ??????
>5. profit.

I've installed Arch twice in the 5 years I've been using it. The second installation was on a laptop I had at the time.

Arch install is fucking baby shit, if you don't know how to partition and set up boot you are just plain stupid, no matter what OS you use. Even Gentoo is easy, the handbook is pretty comprehensive.

>HARD
it's literaly easier than debian/buntu/etc

arch installer is the best
>t. someone who had to struggle with debian's buggy installer

All you have to do is follow the install.txt which is on the live image, no wiki required. Just copy it over to the new image and keep on going.
It's not hard at all.

>boot to a pleasant ncurses installer
>it puts grub MBR to the install usb
nou

Manual input to install an OS in this year is unacceptable and no amount of free philosophy will change that.

How do you pronounce Arch?

>so hard to install
>literally took me 15 minutes the first time I installed it.
retard

>#rice
gross

>boot from arch usb
> cat install.txt
> follow instructions

not that hard ay

uefi sucks on arch
Updates broke my uefi installation a couple of times
Never again
Legacy grub just works

WHY must you use these DUMB click bait TACTICS to get people to click on your post?

I tried installing arch but got caught up in all the wires and had to wait until mom got home to untangle me loose.

ah'tch

you're literally an idiot?

even a tripfag can do it

Should i switch to arch? I have been using Manjaro for some time but its a bit bloaty

Attached: Screenshot_20180711.png (3840x2160, 143K)

he is probably hiding something there

cfdisk is comfy

That dudes username means dumbass in Russian lol

Use grub2 since it has uefi support. Copy the grubx64.efi to the correct place in your efi directory.
UEFI as a whole is a shitshow though. Whoever came up with this should be tortured slowly and painfully for all to see.

The only part I find confusing is setting up the ESP and systemd-boot.

Дa дa, дeлбeл = дeбил

Attached: 1528803645285.png (625x773, 117K)

Just use the EFI stub/systemd-boot. UEFI has a builtin OS/bootloader selection so there is no need for GRUB.

How long have you been using encrypted disk/parts and lvm?
I'm scared shitless of using encryption because I fear that a single badblock will make me lose all the data.
As for lvm I don't understand why it's good for desktop use at all. I mean, we have GPT now, it's not like we can run out of partitions.

Akshually

don't be a moron the point is it's not an instantaneous knee jerk reaction against trump or blaming him for everything bad in the world

that's pretty good for a forum full of tech (liberal industry) professionals mostly using their real names

sudo pacman -Syu

o no all my shit is broken.

>(((systemd)))
goy, I...

You would have to manually encrypt every single partition if you don't use lvm and wouldn't be able to migrate easily.

I know how to install with UEFI
Thing is that somehow some update crashed my system and couldn't boot up again
Didn't cared to fix it first couple times, untill I installed with regular BIOS/GRUB
>use systemd boot
Haha, good one
"mom, call off my meetings! Systemd broke my boot again!"
Literally, tried it one time and after systemd update it didn't boot anymore.
Fuck this garbage. Even UEFI doesn't work always.
Most reliable still is BIOS/GRUB

sudo apt-get install arch

Been using encrypted partitions since more than 12 years and never had any issues... You can back up the LUKS header (and/or master encryption key) and be relatively safe. Regarding LVM on LUKS, if you encrypt several single partitions with LUKS you will have to decrypt everything separately, which takes time and if no keyfile is used, you will have to enter the password multiple times. A LVM container inside a LUKS container (on a single disk) only requires you to do this once. Stretching a LUKS container over multiple disks is something I wouldn't do, though.

Installing SunOS is really simple, it's a enterprise grade operating system with lots of documentation and easy/quick setup. Time is money after all.
If you can't handle installing a Linux distribution in 2018, you won't be any better at using it.

Attached: 0008.png (200x180, 7K)

>brainlets detected
Literally the same shit (with stage3) with slightly automated chroot on the arch side.

Attached: 1517342450434.png (792x584, 1.01M)

"hacker" news
>be pypi maintainer
>make stupid blog post about package signing
>"Package signing not the holy grail!"
>HN tards parrot it because you are pypi maintainer
>post is still terrible advice
>repo gets owned every few weeks
>dig in further to defend brainlet stance
>another day, another pwnage at pypi
>defending stupid stance in forums
>let it slip that package verification isn't practiced by your employeer
>employed by AWS
>thanks for the tip
>another day, critical pwnage
>directly preventable by package signing
>maximum damage control
pic related

Attached: 2018-05-09-113555_1257x151_scrot.png (1257x151, 33K)

Oh look a pretentious european asshole how original.
Eurofags are such a good example of slave morality. boohoo the USA has a higher gdp and personal freedoms, they suck and are all dumb because I want to hide inferiority complex.

Fuck off asshole

Attached: 1502365245669.jpg (569x525, 177K)

I'm comparing the guides, a new user would have more success with Gentoo is what I'm saying, because their guide is way more comprehensible

You guys know systemd-boot is just an up to date gummiboot right?
I've been running systemd-boot on two systems (both desktops, amd one from 2015, intel one from 2016) since systemd-boot was introduced (systemd 219 or 220) I've never ran into a problem with it. In fact I just updated the intel system to systemd-boot 239 about one hour ago.

>Even UEFI doesn't work always. Most reliable still is BIOS/GRUB
A shitty UEFI implementation is the only reason to not use systemd-boot I can think of.

Why is UEFI even a thing? Can't we all just boot using MBR like we all before with 0 problems?

As if just having a Reddit account isn't embarrassing enough, now he's got that comment permanently attached to it. Yikes.

It's full of SJWs, but has a substantial population of anti-SJWs, so it's like a tiny model of the Silicon Valley. Both Steve Klabnik and Mencius Moldbug post there. The power is on the SJWs' side, so they're more loud and obnoxious.

Can confirm this as someone who uses gentoo and recently have looked into arch. I've tried to use arch installation manual but ended up with using gentoo handbook and looking for arch-specific things in their wiki on the web.
It's funny because arch wiki is a real gem for learning several third-party server applications but fails for arch itself.

To keep people from actually using it and realizing how shit it is.

I followed a guide and it took like 30 minutes. How is that hard?

Windows installation: 2 minutes
Mac OS installation: 1 minute
Loonix meme shit: 1 hour info search, 2 hour guide and 30 minute installation