/tpg/ - ThinkPad General - ThinkPad A485: Never Ever Edition ;_;

If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Seriously, Lenovo, A485 when?

Attached: ChMkJlr6hECIPKRbAB8_MkVvzQwAAoZigNMsvIAHz9K302.jpg (640x480, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-a-series/A485/p/22TP2TAA485
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1) why are thinkpads so overpriced?
2) when are Ex85 going to be available?

will a 170w charger work with a T420? dont care if it fast charges, just if it will charge and power the system at all.

Thanks /thinkpad/

Yes, but you adapter is keyed, so you have to file the plastic down.

Is a 40 dollar X240 in good condition a good deal? Local seller.

>having to ask this
go get that right now man. Amazing deal

Whats the new "T" models build quality compared to recent "L" series or pre TX30 models? (only thinkpads I used)

I had a Thinkpad T430s. Got it the year it was released.

Didn't last a year. Trackpad died and display got fucked with lines going through it. Why do you all think these are better than any other laptop?

because mine still works
perhaps a bag of stones would be more suited to your usage scenario than a laptop

1 - business class stuff is always expensive
2 - soon(TM)

Attached: 6 gets.gif (315x411, 80K)

SATAN QUINTS

Attached: dubs web em.webm (302x362, 169K)

bros why are they holding out so long on A485?

i really really want it to be because of thunderbolt licensing
Lenovo PLEASE give us TB3 and A485 will be the perfect laptop

Are we still talking August some time for the Thinkpad A485? I WANT ONE. I have $1400 for a laptop with nowhere to spend it!!! Gib nao.

Attached: 1416445164265.gif (480x480, 186K)

This is from lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-a-series/A485/p/22TP2TAA485

Looks like a Thunderbolt port of some sort along side USB-C

Attached: LeftSideA485.png (1114x492, 176K)

T480, which does have thunderbolt, has this bolt symbol next to the actual TB3 port. Models without TB3, like E-series, I think, don't. Their side docking port looks just like your pic.

Pic related, T480.

Attached: t480_dicking_port.jpg (1657x771, 32K)

nyce quints

Attached: 1530685016052.jpg (621x627, 178K)

Damn

whooosh man

>Looks like a Thunderbolt port of some sort
It's the proprietary dock connector.

E480 owner here, only USB-C but dock works fine, im running 2 1080p via dock and one 1050p with hdmi

What is the name of this keyboard layout on my x220?, i tried setting the input method to Japanes(kana) on KDE but it doesn't match the keycaps.

Also, what is the function of the keys around the cute little space bar and under the ESC key and why does it have 2 ENTER keys?

Attached: IMG_20180711_105151.jpg (3840x2160, 1.24M)

Looking for a laptop with a 13 inch screen and optical drive.

Basically a x220 with a CD drive.

You'd think this is easy to google, but sites only list most recent models.

X220 with an ultrabase dock.

That's not portable enough

>why does it have 2 ENTER keys
for multi thread shitposting of course

get a X220 and a dock

the ulrabay dock can take a cd drive or Hard drive caddie. Hot swappable too.

naruhodo.

Other than japanese laptops like the panasonic CF-Y7, you wont find something like that. ODD have been removed from almost every laptop.

RECOMMEND ME A LAPTOP!!!

budget: no more than 600 dorra

size does not matter but not too small or too huge since i'll be toting it around. long battery is highly preferred. ill go slightly over budget if it means a big performance boost

Attached: 1312959848608.jpg (248x236, 14K)

macbook pro retina display

cuckbook pro retina disgay

Attached: Portable Disc Drive.jpg (1280x960, 314K)

he wants a laptop not a laptop screen

Attached: 1530375417069.jpg (900x810, 55K)

x250 up to x270.

Guess external will be my solution.

Pic related was the only thing that I found.
>HP EliteBook 2560P-XB208AV

Attached: file.png (400x400, 139K)

Dude, just get a T420/30, if you're carrying it around in a backpack it's not a lot of extra weight compared to say an X220. I went from an X220 to a T420 and I don't feel the difference. Granted I'm not a skinny dweeb, but you should be fine anyway

>>HP EliteBook 2560P-XB208AV
Nope.

I still have time to think about this.
Have you used the T420s before? How do the two compare?
I know the specs, I'm talking real life experience.

Is there literally any reason to use anything other than a t440p?

Shitty trackpad doesn't count since it can be replaced for like $15.

Any ultrabook if you don't feel like carrying a brick daily.

It looks like the docking port is Thundebolt 3.0, but the USB-C port is not Thunderbolt 3.0.

So, the only way to utilize Thunderbolt 3.0 with the A485 is going to be an adapter (unlikely since the dock is proprietary) or, more realisitically, you'll need to buy the dock that also has a USB-C Thunderbolt 3.0 port.

In that case, you'd only be able to use the Thunderbolt 3.0 while docked. Which is annoying, but it looks like this might be the only possible way for Intel to allowed Thunderbolt 3.0 with a Ryzen laptop, so hopefully that's how things work out.

E485/A485 for Ryzen

X301

Only an homosexual twink would find a T440p "heavy".

It's not even about the weight also the dimensions, I often want to carry groceries or whatever else inside my bag and a brick like t440p would take like half of my bag. Fuck off with your "t440p is flawless" bullshit, it's just best at price/performance.

>Fuck off with your "t440p is flawless" bullshit
what the fuck are you talking about fagboi

The only thing i'm saying is that a 14" laptop that weighs almost the same as an average book is not heavy at all for daily commuting.

>t440p would take like half of my bag.

homosexuality conformed.

Attached: medium-fag-bag-men-business-bag.jpg (344x591, 31K)

The docking port is not proprietary, it's literaly just the two USB-C ports and a mini Ethernet port next to them. Look at the plug on the dock.

Intel was supposed to make TB3 roalty-free by 2018, so there shouldn't be anything stopping AMD based laptops from having Thunderbolt, but so far there's none.

Of course, if they managed to hack up the USB ports to have some sorf of external Thunderbolt controller capability, It'd be great, but I don't think it's very likely. And I would not even be mad if I needed to use the dock to get Thunderbolt since the only thing I'd be using it for would be external graphics at my desk.

>tfw we won't get qt 4:3 display Ryzen Thinkpad

>Intel was supposed to make TB3 roalty-free by 2018
That doesn't mean they haven't blacklisted AMD, which it really looks like they have.

Not a single Ryzen motherboard or laptop supports Thunderbolt 3.0.

>it's literaly just the two USB-C ports and a mini Ethernet port next to them
Then why is #9 (the Thunderboly 3.0 port) clearly not a USB-C port? It might not be porprietary, but it's obviously not a USB-C port.

Literally this

How's 1440p on a 14" dispaly...on Windows 10?
What's the effective resolution, scaled, and are the kinks of Windows scaling sorted out by now?

I'm debating between the 1440p hdr 500 nit display vs the standard 1080p 300 nit display on the current X1 Carbon. I want it the top spec because it's brighter, but I would like hello windows support and 1440p is a bit pointless to me if it's not even going to provide more real estate than 1080p.

based yotsuba poster

Attached: 1531118617248-g.jpg (582x582, 64K)

Gonna look ridiculously small, I found 1080p to be a little small already at 14”. 26 year old boomer here

I have 1440p on T480s and on 100% scaling it's too small for me, I use it personally on 125% scaling and it's just fine, you get screen estate slightly bigger than 1080p(2048x1152@125%). I wasn't convinced about screen either but now that I have it it's incredibly nice, and I had 1080p on T460s before this one.

not him but as someone who owns both the t420 and x220, the x220 looks much better because of no dusty speaker grills and overall cuteness
it also has a perfect form factor for fullscreen applications like, the screen is as high as the t420 but smaller in width, making it harder to multitask by stacking windows next to each other but is nonetheless great for everything else

You forgot the Previous thread

I mean, TB3 is defined as a USB-C alternate mode. It always uses a USB-C connector. The connector below 9 is the mini Ethernet port, which is proprietary, but can be adapted to RJ45 easily with a dongle.

>tfw we won't get the classic keyboard on a Ryzen ThinkPad

Does the X1 Carbon have the same "legendary" business cred as the the T series? i.e. same build quality and durability? Aside from the lack of replaceable parts.

hello my fujitsy lifebook arrived

also came with a custom made dual battery charger cradle, port replicator, all of the original software, a spare battery, a really fucking nice jansport bag, and still had the stylus attached, 15$

Attached: fujitsu lifebook.jpg (1032x774, 159K)

I don't know if it's exactly the same standards, but it also has some sort of mil-spec certification.

>a really fucking nice jansport bag

>15$
How and where?

Only the first gen, but latter models are lighter so they don't need rubber coating nor rollcage.

Get yourself a bigger purse faggot.

yes, its pretty nice
durability, no, as there is no plastic panels and rollcage, but they are solid otherwise. zero flex in my gen 1 carbon.

I have a budget of $600, but can go up to $1000 if absolutely needed.

I want to be able to do some 3D modeling and some work in Unity - specifically, I'm trying to make a visually simplistic game and require something with just a teeny bit more power than the Intel Integrated GPU.

I'd like to be able to do some kind of upgrade to it, be it popping in a new screen, nicer CPU, or SSD but that's not necessary.

Best would preferably have a rectangular, large screen, and - very important, most important part of this - the 7-row keyboard (like the T420)

>x230 good condition
>I5 2.6 Ghz
>16 GB
>300 GB HD
>£110

How did I do?

goodwill

Attached: memebook.jpg (1205x693, 89K)

Refurbished pXX series, (lots of p50 on ebay for cheap).

>the 7-row keyboard (like the T420)
The xX20 models are the last ones to use the 7 row keyboard, you can mod one on the xX30 models but it's not perfect, the problem is that any modern iGPU will be better than most GPUs you can find on older 7 row models.

thanks!

I'm looking to get my first thinkpad. What's the difference between T530 and T530i?

Attached: C5.jpg (677x733, 36K)

user, i...

Yes? OwO

Attached: 1531343802898.png (752x604, 64K)

>i
aren't those the ones with the i3 processors? i'd get the one in better condition since you can replace/upgrade the processors in these things anyway

Attached: IMG_20180512_125707-3036x2277.jpg (3036x2277, 2.41M)

Attached: 4chan.jpg (3840x2160, 552K)

I've had this thing for almost 6 years amd finally decided it was time to sticker it

Probably gonna look faggy as shit to other people but it makes me happy

Attached: 0711181913.jpg (4656x2620, 2.62M)

Is there too much difference between the E485 and the A485? Should I hold for the A? The price on the E is pretty attractive (600 gbp for the base model with ryzen5). So I'm not sure if the increase in quality (which seems pretty vague) is worth an extra 200 or whatever.

What's the best way to try to get an Alienware panel? I can't stand the stock display on the T430

Attached: 1529818952218.png (640x773, 49K)

this is unironically great, enjoy it
I love everything about it sans the two gitlab stickers
I'd take the upper one that just says "GitLab" off desu I like the fox logo more

my T530 is a fucking brick. Do you plan to commute with it at all? Don't forget to consider the power brick for portability.

I'm not a fan of multiple stickers but i have a single Illya decal on my ThinkPad and yeah i like it.

Did they really make a new model name for i3 processors? I am almost too afraid to ask what the W530 means. For now I want 2c4t but I'll keep in mind they're swappable when comparing value. Eventually I plan on getting a quad core in there. Am I correct in assuming all the 530's can cool that?

with how much of a disappointed A485 is being (no WQHD, no thunderbolt, Realtek wifi card, ...), what's the point? If i was really desperate for an Ryzen APU, then yeah, I would probably consider the E485 instead and just save money.

I still want something durable so I'm just going to go for a T480s or even an X1C6

[*cries internally*]

Attached: gondola_in_stalingrad_by_make666-db8fqmq.jpg (1011x790, 138K)

How long until i can buy one of these ryzen thinkpads second hand on the chrap from a clueless business?

The X1C6 is so expensive though. What would be the advantage of the A over the E? (I don't really care for WQHD since 1080 is more than enough for a screen that size don't care either for thunderbolt, the wifi is a bummer but I could live with it ). Is it really that better in terms of build quality to guarantee the bigger price?

I don't really know how good or bad is the E build quality stacked against other lines.

Not entirely sure but i remember the T420i was an i3 T420.

>I am almost too afraid to ask what the W530 means
Workstations, a big boi T530.

>Am I correct in assuming all the 530's can cool that?
ye
even the T4**(14") can cool quad cores just fine with the stock heatsink even though they only came with 2c4t processors.

i have a T530i i just gave to my mom. It came with an i3 processor, 1080p TN screen, no webcam, didn't even have a wifi card (had to put a whitelisted one myself), but at least it was only $400 clearance *new* when I got it around 5 years ago. I only got it because of the 1080p TN screen, no idea why it was pre-baked with that screen along with an i3, no webcam wifi.

eBay

>no webcam
as if that's a bad thing

I will probably use it at home 90% of the time. I'm a big dude and lugged a 17" laptop in my backpack in college. After using 14" screens I want something big again. I don't suppose they can be modded for 16:10?

>Workstations, a big boi T530.
Does that mean more IO or is it just better upgradable internals?

Is there any CPU upgrade that I can do on a T420? It has a BGA motherboard so I was wondering if there was anything older than a Sandy Bridge that I can use.

I'm looking for a Thinkpad with a better GPU than my x230t, something that'll allow me to play Witcher 3 and GTA V on low settings, and run Borderlands 2 at more than 20fps. I know I could just get a gaming laptop, but I'm insistent on having a trackpoint. Would one of the newer X series Thinkpads have integrated graphics good enough for the task, or should I get something bigger with a dedicated GPU? Portability is a concern because I'm a manlet who doesn't want to drag around a 17" laptop.

>Sleep

mah nigga

Attached: q5gWpTE.jpg (1920x1080, 440K)

it's PGA fgt
i7-2720qm, plug n play like ur mum lmao

or something third gen if you're willing to coreboot it