Got around 30 of these laying around ranging from 80GB to 320GB

Got around 30 of these laying around ranging from 80GB to 320GB.

I assume they are useless these days, not even worth using them in a NAS due to the power consumption per GB being awful compared to modern drives?

Attached: IDE.jpg (590x368, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yISqCAnROh8
amazon.com/Cutequeen-USB3-0-Adapter-Converter-Drives/dp/B01LXBF4WK
ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-SATA-External-Adapter-Converter-Bridge-3Gbps-for-2-5-3-5-Hard-Disk/381729660948
ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-To-SATA-22-Pin-Adapter-Cable-For-2-5-External-HDD-SSD-Hard-Drive-Disk/401445261261
ebay.com/itm/SATA-7-Pin-Data-Male-to-Female-Hard-Drive-HDD-Cable-Adapter-1M-3-3Ft-T1/252592538891
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use for vintage pc project or sell on ebay.

If you put them all in raid 0 it will be faster than an ssd.

You could get a buttload of IDE to sata adapters and put them in a modern system, but you'd waste a lot of money on that, as well as an enclosure to fit that many drives in and powering them.
It wouldn't be worth the effort of doing that, compared to just going out and buying a 2TB drive or some shit.

Do this.
youtu.be/yISqCAnROh8

just hide them in random places and wait for anons to find them

Just put some backups on them and stuff them in the closet. A NAS made of all of those will be slow, power-hungry and a PITA to use (unless you make a single volume spanning many drives, but in this case RIP reliability)

Attached: DSC_0184.jpg (1920x1080, 747K)

there is some bitcoin you mine by plugging harddrives into your computer in mass not sure what it does I assume it sells your storage for cloud storage or some thing.

probably is a bad idea but could use them for that.

>320GB
I still use 320GB drives for backups. They're SATA though.

Stop it Dave

Thanks for the great ideas. In the end I decided to just get the magnets out of them

Attached: DSCN3990.jpg (1982x1888, 1.14M)

Resell on ebay. Retro users will buy them.

What's a good HDD secure erase software for when I want to sell drives?

Have like 2000 ide, wanna go full nostalgia, but im afraid il need older windows and older hardware is there anyway to avoid it like try virtual machine it or someshit ?

Attached: Capture_2018-06-27-23-55-49.png (1410x1947, 3.19M)

A hammer

It will also be extremely susceptible to data loss

Hell yeah.

I would have said to use them for ZFS experiments. Try different configs yourself rather than just reading random forum posts.

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

so I have like 30 extra hard drives all around 160 - 500gb
should I toss them? I was looking into powering them all and running them all on some micro server over usb, speed wouldn't really matter just dumb storage

I saw wiring up 12v and 5v big rail to power like 10 of them is very easy. Is there some type of $1 cable that does sata data to usb?

Nope.

DBAN.

Sell to retro idiots.

1-pass dban does literally the same thing, and you don't need more if you're just going to sell the drives on ebay.

Also dban guys are now pushing some paid shit so they stopped updating it.

>$1 cable that does sata data to usb?
think $15, just google sata to USB

yea that's way too fucking expensive to run on like 30 drives. You can nearly get an entire hard drive enclosure for that price. Which includes power supply etc.

amazon.com/Cutequeen-USB3-0-Adapter-Converter-Drives/dp/B01LXBF4WK

these are for sata power & data to usb. can't be used for 3.5hdd cuz it uses 12volts. however if you break it in half you can use the data part to usb and run your own power to the HDD
trying to find something that does that broken in half part.

just buy one and manually swap the drives like a tape library

Use photorec on them and blackmail people.

I already have a fucking HDD docking station, who doesn't?

Shhh user... no smart answers here only memes

ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-SATA-External-Adapter-Converter-Bridge-3Gbps-for-2-5-3-5-Hard-Disk/381729660948

most compact one.

or
ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-To-SATA-22-Pin-Adapter-Cable-For-2-5-External-HDD-SSD-Hard-Drive-Disk/401445261261

+
ebay.com/itm/SATA-7-Pin-Data-Male-to-Female-Hard-Drive-HDD-Cable-Adapter-1M-3-3Ft-T1/252592538891

take the sata data and run it from hdd to usb then run your own power to the hdd
ez

perfect for backup and shit website hosting

what a fucking waste

they're useful for original xbox modding cuz it's not sata