/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find more detailed videos on YouTube)
youtube.com/watch?v=9M2-UIwWguw[Open]
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3fsVk9Sss[Open]
CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good multithreaded work use CPUs
>i5 8400/8600k - Best midrange gaming
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory with Intel

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>GPU prices have gone down
1080p
>RX 580 or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU to match it
1440p
>1070Ti preferably with Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>Lock to 72fps on 144hz non-Gsync monitors with Nvidia cards to prevent tearing on more demanding games
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: Bog.png (1920x1080, 1.25M)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932004
pcpartpicker.com/list/Zmc2r6
pcpartpicker.com/list/6Mz2r6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why do their heads look like something out of a satire drawing?

CPU
>R3 2200G

Motherboard
>Asrock A320-HDV

RAM
>8GB, DDR4

Graphics card
>GeForce GTX1050

Storage
>My old HDD (1Tb)

PSU
>DeepCool 430W DE430

Where have i fucked up?

What's the best/cheapest 144Hz monitor I can get? My local Staples has an Acer GN246HL for 300 leaf bux, they any good?

Is it even worth upgrading to 144Hz with this setup?

Attached: 1531278369087.png (753x492, 34K)

What are some things I can get for $35 (so I can get free shipping)?
Mainly stuff like peripherals.
I'm planning on getting a USB SD card reader for my rig and that's $8

Seems good
Do you get more than 60 fps on the games you play? If so go for it. 144hz is good to have for general use anyways.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932004

This thing should suffice for some low-end gaming like LoL, Civ and DS/GBA/3DO emulation, right?

I need to RMA my 1060 6GB and my CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, so I need a temporary/back-up card.

Attached: 14-932-004-Z01.jpg (1280x960, 119K)

CPU
>i5 8600K
Motherboard
>Asus PRIME Z370-P
GPU
>MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X
RAM
>G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4, 2x8GB, 3200MHz
CPU cooling
>SilentiumPC Grandis 2 XE1436
PSU
>SilentiumPC Supremo L2 V2 550W
Case
>SilentiumPC Gladius M35T Pure Black

Dead set on Intel, I haven't liked AMD ever since the FX days and haven't gotten over it since.

As for the drive: Samsung EVO 500GB, and my old 2TB HDD. I'm wondering about looking around for a cheaper RAM solution, and haven't really checked the compatibility with my mobo yet. I'm also undecided as to the monitor, should I go 1080p or 1440p? 144Hz? Anything you guys would change?

Attached: 1526073508315.png (1280x1280, 446K)

I do for most games I play. Is it an issue to say, get 100fps on a 144Hz monitor? Will there be screen tearing or something?

It will suffice, but I'd recommend something like a used R9 380 / GTX 960 / GTX 1050, should be in the same price range (possibly lower) and offer more power.

But getting a brand new 1030 as a backup isn't a bad idea either.

No.

>bought my 1050ti for $180
>used it for a year
>just sold it for $200
Based miners

Attached: 1531430174130.jpg (206x206, 14K)

I can grab a 4GB RX 470 for 150 and a 2 hour drive. Worth it? I'm the user who's R9 290 died on him recently and my budgets a little thin.

Originally the price was supposed to be 130 and im a little torn up he's trying to change it sort of last minute, but if it's a good deal regardless then I'm pretty set. I just want to be able to do shiton my PC without it blowing up again.

are software like RAMDISK a good idea? what are those best used for? can i increase the lifespan of an hdd or ssd with it? how much does it take to stop the windows overlord from destroying the hard drive while also slowing down randomly?

>bought a RX580 for $100 and a pair of sneakers from some nig 2 months ago
>sold it yesterday for $320 on eBay
based retards

>I'm also undecided as to the monitor, should I go 1080p or 1440p? 144Hz?
Care about 144hz only if you manly play e-sport stuff.

Question: What's the go with the TUF series of boards? Is it just marketing hype or is there actually any real advantage in terms of lifespan and durability and all that? (Planning on an i5 8400 build)

I wish I could say that the reason why I've had a string of mobos fail on me (ASRock boards mostly) is just misfortune, but it's also probably a healthy dose of a flimsy case combined with being lugged cross country a few times to many. I don't ever need to move the PC any more, but I'd still rather pay a small premium now than replace a mobo 3x like I've had to do with my SB mobo.

Screen tearing happens when you suddenly drop frames (e.g. when there is action in the game). If you think it is noticeable and bothers you, you can lock the frame rate of your screen to a low point but I don't think it's needed.

>inb4 he cancels the payment and you get fucked in the ass

>buying ASSrock

What are good models for Vega 56?

>tfw bought ASSrock only because it was the cheapest for my new [spoiler]and 1st[/spoiler] build

Attached: 1483906033664.jpg (491x489, 35K)

Screen tearing occurs when you exceeed's your monitors refresh rate. Low fps is just low fps

Cheap msi boards are. Asus owns asrock. Their boards are overpriced and in my own experience the only mobo thay i have had die was an asus

I sold it on Kijiji, my dude. GTX 1050ti's go for $250+ new here in Canada, so it's not a terrible deal. It was hardly used, actually.

>Asus owns asrock.

Asrock used to be Asus' budget line.
But I think they are fully independent now?
In any case Asrock's quality isn't as shit as it used to be.

Planning to build a new computer but gpu prices are giving me nightmares.
I found the 2400g apu and it seems too good to be true.
Would using it for gaming for a year or two till the GTX 1060 drops in price a bad idea?
Planning to use the cpu along the 1060 for at least 5 years.

Attached: IMG_20180523_104701.jpg (768x1024, 149K)

Any advice on buying pcie cards?

Yeah but you won't be buying a 1060 in two years time. There will be better

What do you mean by gaming?

Budget
>lower the better

Goal
>1080p/60hz
>non-AAA games on medium settings

Current pieces of kit to work with (mostly Craigslist finds for little or nothing)
>500gb ssd
>gtx 950
>fractal mid-tower case
>keyboard/mouse
>headphones

Needs
>cpu
>mobo
>ram
>psu
>maybe gpu (if the 950 isn't up to snuff - it was $20)
>monitor (must be height adjustable, I am a tallfag 6'5")

Main Game
>eve online

Muh Intel/Muh AMD
>I am not a fanboy, don't meme me

Wait until the 11xx series is released then buy a 1080ti for a reasonable amount
Or the 1180 if it's a similar price

is 1070ti good enough for 1440p at high refresh rates or should i wait for volta. i'm paring it with an i5-8600k

How hard am I jewing myself?
Want to build a pretty beastly system.
1539 British bongs so far, but still need a monitor for Jewsync.
1080p/1440p @ 144hz or more.
Will sell the cpu and gpu when zen 2 and the next nvidia cards come out.

Attached: Untitled.png (1011x765, 51K)

I'm getting a similar setup to this. Is a 550W PSU enough?

No GPU?

Yeah the igpu is good enough foe now I guess.

Wait are those ram sticks 1800 MHz?
When did ram prices drop ?

Can a modern CPU like an i5-8400 bottleneck a GTX 1080 Ti?

What sort of CPU would be a safe pick?

How many of you have bought used components on either eBay, Craigslist, or hardwareswap?

Is visiontek a decent brand? I have the chance to get a rx580 8gb for $200. Currently have a gtx 670
Yay or nay?

don't make my same mistake, i don't think all ryzens have IGPU

Is it ever worth it?
Over here local used parts sell for maybe 50 Euros less than brand new ones, it's really not worth the risk.

Assuming you will be using a 1440p monitor with the 1080ti then no 8400 is gonna be fine.

Oh fuck my ass.

That's what I'm asking.
If I can get a used 980 for less than the cost of a 1060 I think it's worth it and whatever kind of ram I can find. That's like 40% of the cost

Would it bottleneck at higher Hz or higher resolutions?

I don't know what's the deal with refresh rates, I assume 120Hz requires twice the power of 60Hz, so sort of like running at twice the resolution

If you are going higher on resolution you are being more gpu bound so cpu doesn't matter much. I don't think refresh rate has anything to do with it.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Zmc2r6

Remade the build again I got two errors & I don't know what to fucking do. Did the 450 boards land yet?
I have an old psu btw.
And somehow I found another dual sticks of ram from vulcan with 3200 speed are those legit for another 10$?

Why a fucking 125 gb m.2 drives so fucking expensive?

Will my computer automatically detect and utilize new RAM packs that I plug in or is there something else I need to do with windows after I install them?

Attached: 1518976540094.gif (450x551, 213K)

Post a better build than this for a similar price range.
Top tip: you probably can't.

Attached: Jewvidia Intel build.png (718x775, 54K)

How much better are the m.2 over regular ssd?
I can get a samsung 500gb regular for 100 and an m.2 for like 50 more at the same size.

You can buy pro keys off ebay for less than 10 dollars

Buy a number of components pre-owned off ebay and you can get a 1080 ti instead.

I have an i5-4690K installed on my Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard. How big is the difference between current CPUs and this, what, 4-year-old processor I have? If I were to upgrade to something more modern, I would necessarily have to replace the motherboard as well to make sure it can even interface with the new hardware, right? Is now even a good time to get a processor, or is something coming I should keep an eye out for?

Uhm...

Attached: amd build.png (718x728, 45K)

What happens when the parts break and there is no warranty?
Which of the two will be the most future proof, by that I mean I'll be able to slot in a new gpu/cpu without needing to change the motherboard (over the next 2 - 3 years)?

>non-blower card in that case
nigga i have it and that would be stupid to do. also that case is huge for mitx

Regular ssds reach max 600 MB/s read and write speed
M.2 nvme ssds can reach 3-4 GIGABYTE/s read and write speed.

What's the cheapest PC on ebay I could reasonably pair with a 1060?

Holyshit.

How do I get those pretty PSU cables people have in their cases?

SSDs are fast compared to HDDs because of latency.

Actual transfer speed isn't that noticeable

But yeah NVME SSDs are pretty cool.

Looking to buy a better mouse for my laptop, currently using an old wired mouse. Main purpose is comfortability for casual games. How bad are wireless mice? Will they generally drop connection often or have noticeably poorer reaction time?

Would a Dell Optiplex 9020 with a 290w PSU be able to support any decent graphics cards?

Actually the individual components of an SSD are pretty slow. Their advantage comes more from spreading the writes and reads over many cells simultaneously, like raid 0 over thousands of drives. But yes, not waiting for the drive head to seek is also useful.

Why don't they turn the CPU/Mobo power connectors sideways?

Literally no one connects them from the front anymore.
At least maybe include a small plastic adapter to turn it 90 degrees, it'll be much better and tighter than bending all those cables.

Attached: mobo.jpg (543x649, 154K)

Except it doesn't almost go nuclear on a daily basis like raid 0

How does transferring files from normal HDD and m. SSD and the other way around factor in in terms of speed ?

Even for SATA SSDs, you're gonna be limited by the HDD speeds to either read or write.

HDDs are not that slow, it's only gonna take seconds maybe a minute

Unironically, which is the better build?
Without the overpriced windows faggotry in both builds.

It looks good to me. But I don't know about that RAM. I have 3200mhz RAM with a 2700x and the XMP won't run stable, so I'm not sure that 3600mhz of yours will run fine.

get a better monitor you fucking mongeliod

What's wrong with it?

>Literally no one connects them from the front anymore.
By which you mean "I don't. And I'm prepared to ignore the vast majority of people who don't route cables behind the mobo."

You can hardly even find cases without room behind the motherboard for cables.

Some of the most popular cases, like the NZXT S340, don't even let you do it any other way. The PSU is hidden behind there, you have to route the cables through the back.

And for expensive 160E Z370 overclocking motherboards, this is really a no brainer.

I want to fit a 2700x and gtx 1080 into a small case. I'm tired of having a tower.
What do I do lads?

Please respond

Attached: 1504735484141.jpg (232x197, 8K)

What are the good VEGA56 models?

Attached: We9euvQ.png (716x533, 470K)

I don't know if this gets asked alot here ? I don't know if i'm being annoying with this question. I just opened this board and clicked the pc thread .Can someone tell me on what should i focus when i build a pc made mostly for using photoshop/clip studio paint ?GPU , CPU, RAM ? I'm not much of a gamer actually but i want a good performance on the software , you know, handling high resolution files and as little lag as possible on the brushes.

P-p-please help

What is your budget?

Screentearing occurs when you don't use a form of vsync regardless of framerate

In my country, you can get an i5-8400 and cheap Z370 motherboard for about 20E more than a Ryzen 2400G & mobo combo, and it's much faster.

You can also go with B360 motherboards and find cheaper, slower RAM since it can't use 3200Mhz unless you buy Z370, but B360 motherboards are only about 20E cheaper.

1000$- 1200$ ? More or less

But the 8400 igpu is shit has less threads and more expensive where I live not to mention locked.
I am looking long term here something to last me at least 6-7 years.

Oh I thought you had an old GPU to use, didn't realize you'd use the internal one.

I don't know anything about iGPUs, but the Ryzen 2200G is much cheaper than the 2400G

I might opt in for the 2200g though I don't want to regret it in the future. Those extra 4 threads could become handy.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6Mz2r6

Listen, I am really trying to justify putting 5 industrial poofans in the Graphite 380T. There is probably nothing to gain from either side intake or exhaust but I still wanna populate the 240mm AiO bracket. And even though LAN boxes are mostly deprecated, I still feel the urge to proceed with this build. Perhaps it will make me go outside some more once I can carry my PC around?

You should probably talk me out of this.

Attached: poobox.png (1031x871, 160K)

I need a gaming mouse, that is not filled with bloatware and can be used for pc and macbook.
Ideal would be wired and bluetooth. It doesn´t need to be pro ultra gaming mouse, but shouldn´t be that bad.

Powercolor red dragon is what I have and it is great.
Asus strix is also supposed to be good

Yeah I did a bit of research and RD is best considering prices right now. How much did you pay for it and when?

$500 on newegg last month. It runs super cool

Is this okay? This is my first build since 2010.

Why the fuck is memory so expensive in 2018?

Attached: Capture111.jpg (1173x561, 74K)

Is BenQ ZOWIE 24" a good 144hz monitor? It's cheap price is throwing me off.

A monopoly

>Why the fuck is memory so expensive in 2018?
welcome to the club

drop the 8500 for the 8400, it's stupid paying more for it
change the 3000mhz RAM for any 2666mhz (the max supported by b360)
cooler look stupid and expensive, I suggest a Cryorig C7 instead

>bought my 1080 for $420
>mined on it and used it for a year
>sold it to miner for $800

Attached: smug_beatr.png (747x615, 691K)

Smartphones now use DDR4 RAM.