What are your thoughts on Plan 9, Jow Forums?

What are your thoughts on Plan 9, Jow Forums?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1376x1492, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aiju.de/b/plan9-faq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cute rabbit.

Minimalist shit.

Unix but even Unixier--hence trash.

This.
Daily reminder that UNIX (And Linux) killed OS research.

its dead right? and has been for years..

minimalism taken too far
failed at it's own design goals
too slow for no valid reason
many stubborn design choices
dead

It's much better than Unix and should have supplanted it but it didn't because people are stupid.

My main thought on Plan 9 is: people are stupid.

Suppose if people weren't stupid: would we be running any OS in the Unix lineage?

It's dead like Hurd.
ReactOS has more potential.

It's too good for this world.
Too bad BSD and lincucks brainlets couldn't understand it at the time. So now they implement the same concepts but worse.

surely Plan 9 being open sourced late in 2000 doesn't play any role in adoption

How exactly was it hailed as the best and the most same operating system? Can anyone elaborate?

this, we should all be running GNU/Herd, or as i've recently taken to calling it GNU Herd

That happened because people were stupid, but even so late people were stupid for not taking on the initial hurdles of transitioning to it.

But that's a Unix OS. Christ Jow Forums, does the concept of an OS that is not a Unix or Windows fit in your pea brains?

Unix in modern world. it has few elegant bit effective design, some of that now ported to other os (see the /proc directory in Linux).

everything is a file to the extreme, except for shared memory.

private namespaces: every process see a different set of resources (seen as filesystem structure)
you want to remote debugging in Plan 9 or pause debugging?
just exportfs your /proc directory over the net and bind the /proc in your local process, it doesn't affect your system since every process sees
a different /proc

also research for yourself: 9p, utf8, structural regular expression

Minimalist to the point of being useless.

>killed OS research
Hey retard, ever heard of Genode and seL4?

Imagine not being able to browse Wikipedia. Who the fuck would use such a shit tier OS?

Windows is garbage and React OS is garbage. Why would anyone clone garbage and expect to end up with something less trashy? Haiku OS will eventually replace desktop Linux and Mac OS X, and React OS will be kept around for win32 legacy shit in the back room. Servers and embedded special purpose machines will run an advanced microkernel OS like Sculpt OS.

Attached: IMG_20180408_204801.jpg (451x558, 50K)

Good for distributed computing in theory due to everything being a server (not actually practical for anything though). Rams a server. Storage is a server. Cpu is a server. Weird stuff, but an interesting concept

if you ever into unix C programming you would see what a clusterfuck the standards are, Plan 9 rejected the standards and did their own thing in comfy way, so that's from programmer's perspective
from user's perspective it had such thing like snapshoting filesystem that helped you recover your changed or deleted files from near past, quite advanced window system, first sane unicode support, good cross-software communication. remember that it as around y2k, nowadays it's pretty classic just looks cleaner

cont

other minor plus:
> UI
simple, comfy and non intrusive(and part of the os -> no stupid ricing).
Mouse chording is something you seriously miss once you get used to. after 3 months of Plan 9 using Linux feels clumsy.

> Plumbing
combined with mouse chording you can "send" every selection of text to a program(plumber) that does different things based on customizable regular expression.

eg:
if you select "file.c:100:80" text and send with middle mouse button, it automatically opens the file.c in the editor at line 100 column 80.

> editors
acme and sam are high tier, better than keyboard driven editor.

IPC is done through messages in /srv directory (no shit dbus).

Gnu's Not Unix

last time I tried 9front I could browse Wikipedia, not perfectly but reasonably

It's not AT&T's proprietary UNIX(tm).

Last time I tried Mac OS 8.6 in a buggy ass virtual machine I could browse Wikipedia perfectly from the default Internet Explorer dumpster fire of a browser. Last time I tried IRIX I was able to browse Wikipedia perfectly from Netscape. Same with OS/2. So what the fuck is Plan9/9Front's excuse for not being able to do the things that other platforms can? Platforms that were relatively obscure with low market penetration to begin with that are two decades out of date.

Plan9 is trash.

first of all
Plan 9 not Plan9
9front not 9Front
> Same with OS/2. So what the fuck is
> Plan9/9Front's excuse for not being
> able to do the things that other platforms can?

because it does every other things better, if you need to browse Facebook to appreciate an os you can stick to windows

Ugly, actually. But the eyes need more of a 3D effect to look like holes.

>muh names
>muh facebook
Listen, 9Faggot, every other OS on planet Earth can browse Jow Forums except yours. Remember when that user loaded Jow Forums on an office phone? Because I remember. And you cat-v niggers still can't do this.

>w-w-who n-needs that anyways?!?!?
FOX AND GRAPES BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS

Attached: E7F4D349F58B49DFB2B7FA71EB61A522.png (255x139, 49K)

What? Are you having a stroke?

It's a failed experiment, Kubernetes is Plan 9 in userspace which is the correct way to adminster distributed systems

>Minimalist to the point of being useless.
2abstract4u
>Imagine not being able to browse Wikipedia. Who the fuck would use such a shit tier OS?
I'm pretty sure that's not a limitation due to the OS itself.

aiju.de/b/plan9-faq

Attached: spaceglenda300.jpg (1910x2208, 639K)

i like it but i don't quite understand it at the same time

authentication and user management on plan 9 is a confusing mess. its dialect of C is also weird.

Attached: fdasfasd.png (1376x1492, 610K)