Just how important was Sun?

Just how important was Sun?

Attached: 1200px-Sun_Microsystems_logo.svg.png (1200x519, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSPARC
oracle.com/technetwork/systems/opensparc/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>muh VLSI

Linux is still trying to copy from them.

Other than Java what is their lasting influence?

nfs, zfs, dtrace, virtualbox, open sourcing openoffice

Weren't they one of the big backers of Google very very early on when the founders were still at Stanford or something? Or they at least fronted them a ton of server hardware?

somewhere between not at all and entirely

This.

The SPARC architecture really is legendary.

Attached: sparc.png (1195x1600, 3.6M)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSPARC
oracle.com/technetwork/systems/opensparc/index.html

no one likes sparc though its one of the shittiest RISCs lol

Attached: OpenSPARC_T2.jpg (678x680, 205K)

>pretends to know what he is talking about
Why is that?

we're all in on RISC-V gramps

>try harder
What are you trying to say?

they had one of the coolest logos ever

No one other than Fujitsu and Oracle use that anymore. If you appreciate software actually working it is time to move on. It was great years ago but it attracts far too little interest to be useful for anyone but hipsters anymore.

Your reasoning system is demented.

he's correct though, everyone had their own risc in the 80's early 90's. None of it was revolutionary nor survived.

>register windows
how high were they

when I tried it out around 2002 it was pretty usable, even on windows. I thought they should have marketed it more aggressively

Attached: __57.jpg (1600x1600, 286K)

Posturing and sentimentalist gibberish has little traction with reality. Move on, tards.

when I was at college, one of my lecturer has it. heavy as fuck.

But they opensourced software so it's still alive.
Sun should have given up on hardware in 2000 and became a software company. Their hardware killed them.

This.
There was an internal battle over this. Alot of the early staff always viewed Sun as a hardware company, but there was a push within the company to go in a software direction. It met some success as they acquired innotek and tried to make inroads into cloud, but it was too late at that point.

Your forgot their biggest accomplishment

Attached: java_tech.jpg (1024x768, 53K)

Thumbnail looks like a vending machine

>accomplishment
>java

t. retarded child

I was replying to a post that began "Other than Java"

>was

>kids in this thread think Sun and Oracle where always one and the same

Attached: 1500980880754.jpg (650x564, 76K)

I'm not seeing any posts like that

Something that I think is overlooked is how they helped the free software movement in general via their SunSITE program. They would give universities free Sun hardware to host large ftp repos of free software. When I first started using Linux most download links began with sunsite.

Attached: schleswig.jpg (3000x2000, 783K)

other than what's already been listed, in a way they were pretty much the face of Unix for a long time as one of the biggest workstation and server vendors until commodity hardware took over their role
that's not MIPS

the language may be sort of OK, but the browser plugins were god awful. second only to flash in terribleness. and in security holes
thank html5 for getting us off this

the only fast java plugin was the Microsoft one for IE (MSJVM), back before Sun sued them and they had to drop it.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1435, 223K)

Vitally important, which is why the subversion artists killed it off.

Same subversion artists are doing their best to kill IBM. The people doing this have a catchy three letter name!

This thread reads like alternate history lmao.

Sun is overrated as fuck. They killed every attempt at a unified Unix, for that alone they deserved to die. Java? Gimme a break, unrealistically hyped as the solution to every and all programming problems, made the industry wasting years on bullshit that never really worked, now it's server side only hah. SPARC? Outperformed by Intel chips that were like 1/10 the cost. Staroffice? VirtualBox? Both bought from Euro companies. And don't get me started on their sales teams, what a bunch of cheeky cunts. Fuck Sun, good riddance.

As important as Oracle in 2018

It is known as LibreOffice now.

My dad worked for Sun.

>SPARC hardware and compatible software
I love them, it's even better than Power9/PowerPC IBM derivatives.

Definitely going to buy some of their hardware at some point.

Man that image gives me a boner

SPARC was a big deal. It was the first economical multi CPU architecture that had decent price:performance. I was still using it until the Dell R4XX servers came out and we went to RHEL.

>They killed every attempt at a unified Unix
Yea, thats why they worked with AT&T for SysVR4 standardization.

How canone room contain so much hipster?

Sun worship on Jow Forums really is cringy sometimes but this post reeks of the same brand of underage who knows nothing of what they're talking about and just wants to look smart.

imagine feeling personally attacked by server racks
real hipsters wouldn't even know what Sun is

Stanford UNiversity.
They started there, got big, and to be able to sell the software/hardware without getting the university in trouble they started an own company.

close.
Stanford
University
Network

Any stories?

Is it ASS?

They made some good looking cases

Attached: a526603290e679caeafc773080a03e2a.jpg (225x300, 12K)

He was on the hardware side. In the 80s they had a 50% defect rate. Also people used to make fun of Schwartz’s ponytail.

Linus Torvalds used a Sun reference manual to implement system calls on Linux, one at a time, when porting programs that expected them.

SJW? JOO? JEW?