Why aren't you using VSC right now?

Why aren't you using VSC right now?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-13 18-30-27.png (1600x900, 208K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Studio_Code
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/16131
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/17996
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773177(v=vs.85).aspx
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers
code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/overview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

leafpad is just as good

Notepad.exe

I am

because I don't like it

Attached: .._..png (1024x768, 1.53M)

i am m8

I like it, but it's bloated as fuck. Sublime Text still reigns supreme for me.

Visual Assist is still $99

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-10-03-13-18.png (959x719, 773K)

>node.js
Into the trash it goes.

Because it's almost 11:30 and I got shit going on tomorrow morning.

>leafpad
>not mousepad
m8

>right now
because it's 6 am and I'm going to sleep soon
I'm running it on a fucking toaster and it works fine. check your extensions m8

It's only good for web dev, and that's if you're too poor to buy proper tools.

Every other language has better options.

Ah yes, the jetbrains salesman.

>vim

It is dogshit.

I'm not a complete fucking retard that's why.

I don't install bloated datamining programs disguised as text editors

I am restarting my computer. Botnet free Jow Forums ironically enough requires you to use Clover, so that's why I am here.

Because GNU Emacs :)

In terms of editors on Windows it's pretty decent. Now that they have the grid mode with split panes it's actually okay to use. I would say that for more in aggressive(?) file editing Notepad++ is still the go to.

because I use vim (the superior text editor)

Switched from Atom, and I'm not looking back. VSC is a god-tier IDE

Attached: vsc.png (1920x1040, 83K)

kek

I prefer geany

Vim with a 400 line vimrc, YouCompleteMe, Syntastic and NERDTree make it better and more usefull than any IDE can possibly be.

>make it better and more autistic
FTFY user

maybe for your kiddie scripting projects.

Like in every VSC thread: it's only good for typescript, and I don't use typescript.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Studio_Code
>Visual Studio Code collects usage data and sends it to Microsoft, although this telemetry reporting can be disabled.[22] The data is shared among Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries and with law enforcement, per the privacy statement.[23]
Wow, what a great feature. Surely you can just compile your own, though, right? Or not:
>github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/16131
Why would they obfuscate telemetry?

What's the problem if you can disable it?

>electron
>ever
i like eclipse

it has microsoft's intellisense for C/C++ without IDE bloat so it's pretty comfy for that

Just got done with an 8 week Java project. No one with Intellij even came close. Been using Vim for years and years. Plus, YouCompleteMe does a better job than most IDE's.
You can't just get where I'm at though. It's just forcing yourself to stick with Vim for multiple years, which then forces you to learn everything about it.

But you can't. Supposed settings to opt out from it didn't honor it, and the issue was closed by someone at Microsoft. It's baked in. You gotta remove it like with ungoogled-chromium.

Because I'm using Visual Studio

Why does every electron based editor slow down to a crawl as soon as you install a few extensions?

Visual studio code is botnet and non-free software.
>it is free software
NO IT FUCKING IS NOT.

explain how it's not free software

The device you wrote this on is made out of non-free parts user.

If you download Visual Studio Code from Microsoft's page then that version is distributed under a nonfree EULA. This version is DIFFERENT than the one they have on GitHub.
Microsoft employees call this the difference between Chromium (an open source browser that is nonfree because it depends on binary blobs) and Google Chrome (a closed-source browser). I'll mention that VSCode depends on Chromium - therefore is by default nonfree, but I'd like to make a few points about their policies first.
But you can compile from source (takes hours) or grab it from your local AUR user repository or whatever! Then you run into problem number two. If you use any Microsoft extension installed from the Microsoft store, Every extension, even though the source code is a published under MIT is distributed as a different version under their nonfree EULA. But you can download these extensions and compile them separately and sign them.
Then you run into problem number three. If you are not debugging, VS code's default behavior (which I have yet to see changed in ANY forks) is to only run extensions signed by Microsoft. You are forced to run nonfree software locally on your machine and god knows what it does to the Zip file you send on Microsoft's site to sign these extensions.
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/17996
I used vscode. I republished their extensions to the store under an MIT license (the same license on their GitHub page) and removed the telemetry code. Pic related, they sent me an unsolicited email asking why I published those extensions. I gave up without fighting because I found that I just didn't care.
You're right, but unfortunately the FSF has made very little progress in the microcontrollers realm. There just aren't enough hardware people in the FSF.

Attached: microsoft-convo.png (668x236, 11K)

Same here

Attached: 1531091235650.jpg (720x960, 167K)

how does this "subword navigtion" work?

What's a good general IDE/editor that has support for most programming languages and has hopefully a good plugin support? I don't want to download a new IDE for each programming language.

VIM keybindings are a big plus either natively or via plugin.

Unironically emacs as long as it isnt java

t. Jetbrains shill

Move to the next capital letter in the current word I'd have to imagine.

Vim fits all your criteria.

can I make it work like FAR Manger on windows? I've used vi when I get onto a remote server running linux but that's not development and I assume vim is much different anyway.
Also I've tried midnight commander and it's a FAR cry from FM, I basically need to be able to do low effort customizations like put a 1 liner command to hot keys that are context sensitive, eg an EXE (or I guess .so) is selected, enter runs it in the current console, control + pagedown disassembles it and opens the disassembly, etc. For a .cpp, enter builds it silently, control+enter opens compiler output after, control + pagedown builds with assembly listing and displays that after.
Maybe a good question would be, how easy is it to program context sensitivity, like if I wanted for shits and giggles to replicate a typical DE context menu in vi, would that even be possible? FAR can do it easily because it's windows, from what I understand as a programming perspective, there's no way you could get something like this api: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773177(v=vs.85).aspx in a linux OS because the provider of it would be kde, gnome or one of a hundred something environments instead of an intrinsic part of the OS like windows. On the other hand if you don't depend on a bunch of shell extensions like tortisesvn, 7zip, gpgex, etc. I can see how you could take care of yourself just by being able to write scripts that take file selection lists as inputs.
I didn't mean to type an essay but win10 is wearing me down after a long time of being a windows user (inb4 boomer, monster *sip* xD) and I no longer develop windows applications fulltime as of nearly 2 years ago. Not that I hate Microsoft or anything.

Attached: 2500.jpg (215x179, 21K)

yeah, but which keyword.. nvm, using vscodeVim anyways.

Does it support Jupyter Notebook files

>Web technology in anything but the web

Faaaahk juuuu

Because I don't program

But I am OP

Attached: 2018-07-14_17-02-49.png (1842x1080, 104K)

>not using wsl.exe
user! In my office right this instant.

Because it’s an Electron app

I use a paid SublimeText.

Just one word: Electron.
I don't want ugly font rendering and excessive RAM consumption.

Electron apps render font much better than the alternatives actually.

>Also I've tried midnight commander and it's a FAR cry from FM

Attached: 1512548029895.gif (240x228, 858K)

don't use yaourt, user

thanks for suggesting an alternative

sublime babbies btfo

Attached: absolutelydisgusting.png (505x455, 108K)

>still using Studio
Tell Grug I said hello.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers
yay is nice

because im using vim

tfw we live in an age we have to sandbox an IDE

Attached: bird-brains-intelligence-toolmaking-brianiacs-2.adapt.885.1.jpg (885x663, 50K)

>tfw educational license

>YouCompleteMe

Attached: 1511910315878.jpg (349x349, 25K)

I have respect for myself.

Then why aren't you using VS Code then?

My nigga. Never hear people reppin the geany.

It's summer break. I don't work for free if it's not an assignment.

Using MS products is degrading.

>Why don't you pay microsoft hundreds of dollars for the privilege of using a text editor and a proprietary language.

My workflow with ed(1) works fine for me.

IDE ? I taught it was only a text editor and Visual Studio was the IDE. Am I wrong ?

Code is pretty much Studio without all (well, most of) the bloat that MS is known for. It doesn't have debuggers, linters, compilers etc. for every language under the sun, you download these as plugins if you need them: code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/overview

>Why aren't you using VSC right now?
My Python course is forcing me to use fucking pycharm. By the end of the year I hope to have a grasp of Sublime, Atom, VSCode and Brackets and have my own opinion on an IDE some day.

I can live with MS-signed extensions. Which are the best forks?

Studio isn't bloated at all. I think without installing any workflows it's a smaller install than VSC.
Atom/VSC blur the lines between IDE and text editor. Think of them like IDE-lites due to the sheer amount of extensions you can install to provide IDE features.

I

>>Does it support Jupyter Notebook files
Atom's hydrogen does.

I can't believe I only now realized that by buying Github, MS also owns Atom now. Fucking hell.

Attached: 1288311345386.jpg (122x126, 11K)

takes a lot of time to open on core2duo

Hmm less lines of code with emacs and it's still better

because your computer is shit

Big deal. Not.

Yep, Visual Studio literally uses less RAM than VS Code. Electron is atrocious.

what's the future for atom now anyway?

>You're right, but unfortunately the FSF has made very little progress in the microcontrollers realm. There just aren't enough hardware people in the FSF.

Thank you for acknowledging this. The FSF also isn't really the free hardware foundation, although free hardware is nice, it's very rare.

At the very least, it'll get stuffed full of telemetry code.

Attached: tumblr_inline_p6mvdauRhy1qmoaae_raw.png (1000x1180, 2.05M)

there's a couple people working on a replacement for electron in rust that should make it very comfy if it gets used

>using MS Eclipse
I just use Visual Studio proper

Attached: 1412473719922.jpg (420x393, 19K)

how much is that lizard

emacs is free(as in free beer) and free(as in freedom)

Yes.

Thanks, looks cool

If you are an actual CS student and don't program over the summer you are doing it wrong

It doesn't respect your freedom nor does it run on an OS that does.