Richard Stallman will make a cameo appearance on next weeks episode of the Big Bang Theory

Richard Stallman will make a cameo appearance on next weeks episode of the Big Bang Theory.

How hype are you?

Attached: richard_stallman.jpg (250x166, 6K)

Link?!

This sounds like a hoax. Also, would Richard Stallman on the Big Bang Theory be worth watching?

Nice. Will celebrate with a nice beer and a nice bowl of feet cheese.

TOP KEK

>Sheldon is discussing a new computer at the lab
>"I can solve quantum cortonic photomodoulation with only a post it note, I'm the elevated Spock to Euler's natural numbers. Why do we even need these computers?"
>"Well Sheldon, the computer is like a infinite room of Sheldon's with post-it notes"
>"Except under the Godel theory, an infinite room of Sheldon's has a chance of getting a gf. A computer using Linux however..."
>Room goes silent for an awkward second
>"Bazing..."
>Stallman walks in

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to t

linux is a kernel

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

He looks a bit like Bobby B in that picture.

Is GCC the greatest compiler of all time?

Attached: gasp.png (1918x1078, 1.06M)

>not using MSVS' compiler

Attached: q1y3dpls8l611.jpg (1125x1124, 95K)

Yes

sure when they merge clang into it

Attached: 1385984426763.jpg (1920x1080, 1.13M)

Nice. He should do an Iama on reddit about it.

It generates worse code than ICC or MSVC. But it's free.

>autist cares about a crap pseudohuman on a crap show

>the big bang theory
I no longer like Stallman.

kino

>someone will mention linux and he'll interject
>out of fucking nowhere

Fake and gay

Install Bazingoo

Attached: 2d6c45f5b7c67ebafdef2bc85499743c.jpg (600x450, 77K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're calling the bing bong theory is indeed Young Sheldon / Bing bOng Theory...etc...
underrated

he just fits in

literal show for basedbois

>underrated
>last one to post
what

they'll have him using wangblows and say "heh its not so bad"

i once tried to watch bbt, but it was just filled with inane jokes

msvc

ill never understand this mans vicious and irrational hatred towards proprietary software

he wouldn't because of this

it's because he never gets laid

Didn't he once love a 1dqt? How do you fug that?

>watching the big bang theory

Attached: 1280241641392.jpg (418x455, 38K)

so hyped that it will be the first episode till season 2 that I will watch

why else would Google based all it's C++ analysis tools on clang?

>Stallman comes in
>"Free software"
>laughtrack.mp3
This will be a huge shitshow.

Do you also believe everyone on Jow Forums makes 100k a year?

I wonder if he'll still be working at Medieval Times after his television appearance...

Attached: DiCtTNXU8AAr4w4-orig.jpg (1280x960, 238K)