Is OLED the future?

Why are they so cheap now?

Attached: 1523258240453.jpg (1200x619, 556K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fdj3rwP7fN8
youtube.com/watch?v=N8QZVkRe9vQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're the present for the high-end TV market.
They're the future for most other markets.

Chink panels. Look up BOE

>true blacks experience
Didn't know TVs can now rob you, eat kfc chicken and live off EBT

no mLED is the future because Applel is investing billions into this technology. mLED will make OLED obsolete

This user is correct.
IF they manage to pull it of, it's going to take a while for prices to come down. OLED is a safe bet for next 10 year. mLED is better intrinsically thiugh

Oleds have crippling burn-in issues, don't they?

>Why are they so cheap now?
burnout info finally got to the masses, nobody want them

Same as later gen plasma. Meaning as long as you dont let a desktop sit static for hours on end you'll be fine

OLED is already on the way out. Quantum dot is everything OLED is without the dimming and burn-in.

some elements of desktop do not change
it's unfixable, dell gave up and canceled their $5k model

quantum dot is just a color filter that doesn't help with blacks
micro led may help with contrast, there are some new monitors coming end of the year, will see

You don't seem to understand quantum dot technology. It's basically OLED but with transistors suspended in fluid rather than organic dyes.

I woildnt use one for computer use, they are for media consumption

>tv busts out in the middle of night
>pawns self

MicroLED is the long term future (10+ years). OLED is what will replace LCD in the interim as inkjet printing will make them cheaper to manufacture than LCD.

Electro-emissive quantum dot displays aren't happening anytime soon. The other user is right; in the near term, QD will act as a color filter to enhance LCD performance (and possibly OLED).

>micro led may help with contrast, there are some new monitors coming end of the year, will see
You're thinking of Mini LED, which is just smaller LEDs used as backlighting for conventional LCDs, so you can get more zones for local dimming. That's what Samsung is coming out with later this year/next. Very different from a true emissive Micro LED display.

>Why are they so cheap now?

Manufacturing techniques are improving.

See
youtube.com/watch?v=Fdj3rwP7fN8

Burn-in is not the worst issue with OLED it's the stutter. When you watch 24fps content on an OLED the image is presented so fast you get no perceivable motion blur (equivalent to turning a video game down to 24fps on an IPS display).

Newer OLED's use black frame insertion or similar techniques. Sadly I missed the bandwagon so am still on an older 2016 LG model so yeah I notice stutter occasionally on pans.

But motion blur is already incorporated into the movie (during fast movements objects appear blurred within a single frame). As long as the display displays the image correctly you will get motion blur.

Nah, it's just autists sperging out over it.
Same with SSD's wearing out.

24fps also stutters in cinemas.
It is a well known issue and any decent director will take it into consideration.

No, this has been fixed years ago. You shouldn't have issues.

>Why are they so cheap now
fuck you, you made me look. cheapest I see is $1,500. An LCD TV at the same size is $300.

micro led is the future

they used to be $5000 poorfag

What about premature aging of the eyes due to the blues and whites from OLED light?

Is there any other technology that will have true blacks though?

mLED will only work on small scale. It's easy to make a 5" die, sort of. But it's FUCKING HARD to make a 24" or 32" or 55" die, that's bigger than most wafers produced.

The Samsung wall is "manually" assembled which is why they have such a hard time making it smaller. Meanwhile some Taiwanese company already demoed a 1 million cd/m^2 tiny mLED screen that's a few inches wide, with 5000ppi.

I expect mLED will be fine for phones. It'll be a long time waiting for anything larger than perhaps 6", a very long time. Unless you want to pay for awkwardly sized, super expensive, impractical TVs like the Samsung.

>MicroLED is the long term future (10+ years).
>Electro-emissive quantum dot displays aren't happening anytime soon. The other user is right; in the near term, QD will act as a color filter to enhance LCD performance (and possibly OLED).
They're happening sooner than mLED at monitor and TV sizes.

Attached: tbe.jpg (977x296, 118K)

They still cost at least double the equivalent LCD TV so not sure I'd call them cheap. Definitely worth it though, and the image burn-in isn't even as bad as it was on plasmas. The burn-in might make them unusable for PC monitors though.

My Galaxy S5's OLED screen is still going strong after 3.5 years with no noticeable burn-in.

The burn in problem basically prevents them from being used as monitors. But if you get a good deal on an OLED, nothing prevents you from hooking it up and only using it for games/movies.

Any self-emitting element will have perfect blacks.

Electroluminescent Quantum dots, microLED, oLED. Even regular LCD with really fine FALD could approach true blacks. Some of the higher end TVs these days hit like 1:20,000 contrast with local dimming enabled, and they have something like 400 lighting zones. Some chinese company said they'd have displays with thousands of zones coming out soon.

>5000ppi
finally the high dpi we deserve

youtube.com/watch?v=N8QZVkRe9vQ

It's amazing. But right now they're talking about AR, sniper scopes, car HUDs, and maybe 3D printing. So it sounds like they're focused on projected light rather than direct display. I'm pretty sure 1 million nits will burn your eyes out so maybe that's why

they are cheap when you make 200k+

>4k oled deal vs. 4k led deal
>cheap
Not really. If they actually were cheap I would buy one. Walk into any electronics store with a tv section and it will be immediately obvious which are the OLEDs. They are far superior to even Samsung's expensive meme LED tech.

Attached: 1520228815043.png (1429x628, 183K)

>equivalent LCD TV
No, a bargain bin chink TV from Best Buy isn't equivalent to a high end TV. If you compare OLEDs to other high end offerings they blow them out of the water.

ok, this is epic

Is there a readily accessible 14 inch eDP oled display?

No but Asus makes a 20 inch one.

>24fps
Well wtf did you expect from a slideshow?

i just have a 17" 1366x768 TN viewsonic panel
it works i guess

Not even a LCD panel?

aren't they supposed to follow a standard?

my animes are not slideshows

Task bar.

Hard for me to believe this when many OLED monitors were canceled last year citing the burn-in issues.

>many
Really? There was literally one monitor, the Dell UP3017Q, and I don't think there was ever any official statement about why it had such a short production run.

>mfw the blue OLEDs start dying off just after a year

Attached: 36806980_10216971153458154_405766837721104384_n.jpg (484x478, 25K)

>burns in
>diodes start to fade after just a few years use
No

Attached: 1530390328730.png (285x260, 107K)

That's not how it works. They don't "die off;" they age faster than other colors, which means they get dimmer sooner. But obviously manufacturers are aware of this and take steps to compensate for it - like using twice as much blue OLED material so they don't need to be run as hard to make the same light, causing them to age slower. This way you can balance out the aging of different colored OLED materials.