/hsg/ - Home server general

/hsg/ - Home server general

Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it. This is all about taking control over your own services. Not leaving things up to some weird company that doesn't have your best interests at heart.

AWESOME SELFHOSTED! github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

[I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?]

RPi3, Asus Tinker or Odroid XU4/HC1.

Are you interested in learning GNU+Linux or BSD administration and configuration better? Becoming a openrc expert? want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

[News]
Gentoo hacked archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-announce/message/dc23d48d2258e1ed91599a8091167002
hard drives fail backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018/
STYLISH BROWSER EXT IS A VIRUS robertheaton.com/2018/07/02/stylish-browser-extension-steals-your-internet-history/

[Chat] using libre clients only
discord.gg/9vZzCYz
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_

Attached: 14f687c9c3e486e2.jpg (1280x960, 326K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Incident_Reports/2018-06-28_Github
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what hypervisor for linux VMs

Proxmox. Also allows you to easily use LXC containers for better resource management.

QEMU/KVM. Containers also are popular, though.

I have a i3 4thgen/4gbram/ old hp laptop is that enough for 1080p streaming plex? also would connect like 4 hdd's, I don't know how to raid but wanna use it as a nas too. are those configurations enough?
I need help to setup nas here, I have arch installed with kde on the laptop

If is only one 1080p stream, the i3 will handle it.
This much externals will only make shit tedious when you set up your library, and make sure that shows/animus are separated from movies. Plex won't discriminate, and will gladly put some random TV show that is on a movie folder, on the movie catalog.

> I have a i3 4thgen/4gbram/ old hp laptop is that
enough for 1080p streaming plex?
You only need like 5MB/s bandwidth or some such, you can do that with a small ARM with a single HDD.

That is of course assuming that the other end can handle whatever video codec the file originally was in.

If you need to transcode to some specific codec with specific settings to make some crappy device work, your hardware requirements can raise dramatically. Though in these situations I'd frankly recommend replacing / augmenting the playback device so it can handle the modern codecs, rather than setting up some monster of a realtime plex transcoding machine.

What is the media board in OP's pic?

The giant label would suggest it's a Rock64.

That and the even more widespread Odroid seem to be the current main choices for cheap ARM boards that can use HDD/SSD to more or less saturate GBE [rather than choking on USB performance like the RPi 3 or such].

Which of the big three (rpi3, odroid, rock) SBCs have or can have totally open firmware?

ESXi

Nicuuuuuu-desu, thanks for the info. Will make sure to seperate my animu stuff.
have a 20mb/s bandwidth with fup 400gb per month can handle that. Thank you-desu

I think none? You'll find virtually no computers with totally open source firmware and drivers.

I'm getting a Hifive1 then. What's the minimum speed required just to load CMUS and stream music?

>Will make sure to seperate my animu stuff.
I think with the correct settings, various media servers and/or playback client can do this for you with their filtering. And you may not even have to do that either.

To be more specific, you aren't only able to "somehow" get playback devices for 1920x1080 devices, but they're really quite cheap. $30 chinese HTPC or SBC can play h.264 or h.265 at that or even higher resolutions these days, and so can $50-100 smartphones.

I don't think I ever used more than 1MB/s for even FLAC. But that's not robust information - merely based on casually looking at BW stats a few times.

Frankly, I don't know exactly.

The demons tend to require blood sacrifices every now and then, just be aware of that or you may lose your mind.

What's a good "todo list" app to put on my homeserver?

I run Wekan.

whats a cheap server setup that i can expect to be able to run multiple game servers, voip, and web hosting?

this hp laptop is a 3year old laptop, it really can't handle windows anymore, So I'll not bother to buy a new one and continue using this. Thanks for the help though

Game servers are very RAM hungry, so, the bigger the ram you can put in it, the better. A vanilla Minecraft eats 5-6gb, a vanilla insurgency eats 4.5gb per 30 players. Do the math, see how much you gonna need and build it if a cheap 2nd hand one is not available in a good price. Cpu, go for 8 core xeons

>vanilla Minecraft
>5-6gb
Holy fuck that must be a big server

is it better to build a ddr3 system? ddr4 is double the price

Yep, ddr3 is the way to go right now if you don't wanna spend a lot, and get a wider variety of xeons to choose. Don't go for ecc, your use case don't ask for it.

That is for only 20 max players with 6 simultaneous users. If you go for 40 simultaneous, you are looking in the 10gb range

Why specifically xeons? an i7 seems more performant unless im missing something

postmortem for gentoo wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Incident_Reports/2018-06-28_Github

Well, more cores/thread and easily found on eBay or AliExpress for less than a used i7. Core speed is not key in a game server scenario, but core/threads are

How do you get whatever that board is to use a external HDD? My Rasp Pi can't even power it.

Attached: elon misk.png (575x413, 171K)

I use an external powered USB hub for that

Anyone here well versed in raspberry Pis? I have a raspi 2 b+, and a raspi 3 b+. I will be using one for a home server (git + file server) and another is needed for a wsn sink/gateway node.

So which one should I use for which?

Attached: Dothraki mixtape.png (413x341, 160K)

You could put something like pic related in your laptop if you remove the wifi card. You will probably also have to cut a hole in the bottom of the laptop for the sata cables to reach the hard drive. Plus you will need an external power supply for the RAID drives.

Attached: 51nJeJTZsSL._AC_SY400_.jpg (449x400, 37K)

Didn't mean to reply to OP

It's probably better for him to not use raid, and use just a hub to connect all the drives.

XCP-ng

Use the pi 3 for the most cpu demanding tasks, simple

Photon on ESXi

Sharepoint cluster

Everything you listed has minimal ram requirements

DDR3 RDIMMs are cheap as fuck. You can get 256GB for $640. And no one cares about your shitbox i7

>doesnt even use SFF 8088 connectors
what a piece of shit

Minimal RAM requirements? Ok, but set up, those games I stated do love some ram, those where just examples. Maybe the servers he is going to setup do not need a lot of ram.

6gb isnt a lot of RAM

so I spent the last few weeks studying and mastering freenas. Everything is where it should be. Feels weird having nothing to tweak/tinker with. I guess I just sorta sit back and use it now

Is this how sys admins jobs work? Where 90% of the work is setting the shit up and the other 10% is just monitoring everything?

Anyone know how the Fujitsu RX300 S7 servers are or how they compare to something like a DL380p G8?

I got the option to get one for and it would be an upgrade and leave room for some more power compared to my current FreeNAS system with its E3-1230v1 and ASRock board.
I really want to change my current system so that I can get rid of the dedicated GPU because the current board is unable to do a headless boot and I want the additional PCI-E slots for a QSFP+ or maybe dual QSFP+ NIC and for my second HBA, maybe even a PCI-E to M.2 card.

I think could get the price down to something like 150€ with shipping for the Fujitsu while the HP ones usualy seem to go for 300-500€
On the contrary I could get an Intel S1200BTL for like 40-50€.

The only thing that comes to mind for me to consider is RAM.
The current one has 4x4GB ECC while I have some 32GB ECC RDIMM lying around and RDIMM DDR3 is nice and cheap to get while 8GB DDR3 UDIMMs are kinda hard expensive for their size.
The 19" case would also fit nicely into my new rack.

These babies rock. 5 bays + E-Sata & comes with ECC ram. All you add is drives and os. Has internal USB port so you can run Freenas from USB and have it all look nice and clean. Combined with WD RED's, a UPS, and backups (cause shit happens) you got a pretty bullet proof system for not much $$.

Attached: HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-N40L-4GB-RAM-AMD-Turion.jpg (400x378, 16K)

when are they gonna get around to ZFS on Linux 0.80? I want my vdev removal, dammit

>you got a pretty bullet proof system for not much $$.
$499 refurbished. With 1.3GHz Athlon and 1Gig RAM. 160Gig HD. On Amazon.
Um, nup.

back up your config files, and maybe even write a blog about how to do it all

Why ESXi over Proxmox?

>why do people pay thousands of dollars for software instead of just using free software
Its like asking why people use Photoshop instead of Gimp

>5-bays
what the fuck I need like 26 bays
>esata
nobody uses this. its bad.
>comes with ECC ram
ddr3 ecc ram is cheap
>Has internal USB port so you can run Freenas from USB
you want to put the os on an ssd/sata dom

>have it all look nice and clean
what?

> you got a pretty bullet proof system for not much $$
fuck off

Might I add "not on enterprise level"?

Prob easier to setup and deploy in enterprise environments.

Thanks bixnood

sysadmin jobs are mostly trying to translate to/from people that can't computer
and meetings

you don't monitor much because you set up everything to mail alerts to you anyway

Does anyone else have this issue.

So I have SMB setup via mapped network drives. When I turn my server off and the mapped drives become offline, explorer lags like hell. Takes up to 10 seconds to load folders.

How the hell do I stop this aside from removing the networked locations?

That wasnt bixnood, bixnood wouldnt be helpful for a retarded question like that. Ive already made fun of them for thinking that 6GB RAM is a lot. My firewall uses 26GB and 14 vCPUs for comparision.

Stop turning off your server, they're supposed to be always on.

I don't need it on currently because I'm not done populating it. It's still in the testing phase. It's just stupid how much explorer lags when they're offline. Even the right-click menu takes 5 seconds to pop up.

I use a refurbished thinkpad that I got a discount on from work as my primary at-home server. I have a DAS attached, which is on a battery backup for additional storage. I use containers for pretty much all the local crap I run.

I also have a rpi3 for DHCP & DNS -- I have two dnsmasq processes running, one that is configured to block all ads by default, and then another where requests from all the kids-devices have additional filters (can't have their young minds visiting Jow Forums).

I have a few servers hosted at local datacenter for my email and various websites.

>can't have their young minds visiting Jow Forums
would it make you proud or dismayed if you found out that your kids learned about networking and how IP addresses and DNS lookups work, and about VPNs, SSH tunnels, and other kinds of security and obfuscation technologies, just so they could get around dad's parental filter so they could shitpost and watch hentai?

I'd be proud of course. When they accomplish that, they will have earned their access to all the tits they can handle. No hentai though.

Who said anything about Amazon? E-Bay has the deals. Never did I say that you gotta use E-Sata,merely that it's there. Why would I want the server os on a ssd for? Boot speed ain't really a priority and sides I can restore my config via backup file so if the stick dies, no big deal. Same way with the data, it's backed up so if the whole server goes tits up, nothing is lost. I'm only out, what, a puny USB stick that cost is only maybe $10? Lifespan wise, both the stick and the drives should last least 4-5 yrs before something fucks up. By then, drive capacity will be like ten times what its now, plus I'll be hitting capacity limit of current storage by that point to.

>No hentai though.
well you jinxed yourself

Attached: 1500395888330.jpg (750x755, 39K)

>i dont know what unrecoverable errors are
>let me just use media which doesnt even have datasheets