Retro/DOS Computer Thread

Post issues and retro computer general stuff. I'll start with a question:

I have a PII machine that only reads 504MB on a 4gb CF card. The bios reads it as a 4gb card but FDISK only recognizes 504mb, so i cant install Windows 98 on it, even though it was a Win98 machine initially. Am I fucked, can I bypass this somehow?

Attached: IMG_0160.jpg (2448x2972, 1.82M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IFlw4x3Uquk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSolaris
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Desktop_System
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_User_Environment
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: IMG_9536.jpg (2448x3264, 2M)

just buy a real hard disk for like $10

where?

Attached: hdd_price.png (860x971, 340K)

>Retro/DOS Computer Thread
Why? There's not enough material even to keep a retro thread up all the time, yet alone specifically a Wintel DOS era machine specific thread.

>I have a PII machine that only reads 504MB on a 4gb CF card. The bios reads it as a 4gb card but FDISK only recognizes 504mb, so i cant install Windows 98 on it, even though it was a Win98 machine initially. Am I fucked, can I bypass this somehow?
Seriously? You ask this?
Google is your friend, buddy.

If there's any recycling places nearby or similar computers for sale that might actually be cheaper for the hdd

Why? When a CF card is native PATA, more reliable and with instant seek.
His problem isn't the CF card or hard drive, it's his lack of knowledge and software.

I asked this here because the issue well answered on Google. Im getting a lot of
>help i have this problem
>last post 7 years ago, no solution

When I search about CF cards (as a replacement for a hdd in a win 9x environment specifically) nobody has this issue, and those that do have 286/386 machines. This is a 1998 packard bell which shouldnt have any problems with a 4GB drive.

Attached: SDC11334.jpg (1024x768, 721K)

Jesus Christ, people missing the obvious can sometimes be quite funny.

why does it have to be 4 GB? it's obvious you're not trying to match anything, there's plenty of disks in the 6-12 GB range that are way cheaper for example
from personal experience the unreliability of old disks is really overblown here honestly, especially on desktop systems
but I was ultimately just throwing out a half-assed just werks answer because I didn't feel like troubleshooting

I dunno if you can run fdisk on such a card, but if you do, enable large disk support

Right now i'm using a Packard bell recovery CD (because it has the programs and drivers I'd want) The CD has a limited amount of dos programs on it, including FDISK which only recognized 504mb no matter if I format the CF card on my current computer with 4gb fat32 partition. I suppose I could just use an official Win98 CD if all else fails but I'd really like to have all the programs back.

Sounds like the geometry is set to CHS instead of LBA, even though the BIOS "sees" it as 4GB drive. Look for a setting that says Access Mode in the IDE configuration panel.

IIRC large disk support was for if you were planning to format partitions with FAT32, not breaking the 504MB barrier.

>person has rock and hammer
>needs to hit nail into wall
>keeps using rock instead of hammer and missing
>because muh rock is pretty and I don't want to try the hammer even for a second even when I have the option to use the rock again latter

I guess I could, but i JUST bought a CF card and CF>IDE card last week because i was told that it was better than a hdd

How would one go about attaching a waterblock to a SuperSocket 7 AMD chip? Anyone have a hook up on a waterblock that fits, or at least one that fits PGA370, or hell maybe even an Athlon 462 cooler could fit if it attaches to the socket and isn't a screw in type

So I have this. the problem is that if I set it to "manual" even without changing any settings, the bios no longer recognizes the card lol

Attached: IMG_0972 (Edited).jpg (1216x1196, 708K)

Sounds more like he's using a old pre-Win95/DOS 7.10 version of fdisk.

hmm. i'll do a VER on fdisk and see. could be that the packard bell Cd is the wrong one and made for an older computer than mine

You could try zeroing out the card with a linux machine dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX

haha well memed

That might be it. I'm still a little bit dubious about Packard Bell packaging an LBA-unaware version of FDISK with Win98 drivers (multi-gigabyte disks were the norm when Windows 98 came out), but hey, they weren't known for quality assurance even back in the day.

So even with an actual Win98SE CD, it still only formats it as a 504MB FAT16 partition but at least it will fully install windows. must be something up with the packard bell CD, however i guess the PB cd needs to install extra software and drivers that would be bigger than the 504 needed by just a straight wintel install

can you try the cf card with the ide adapter in any other pc that has ide?

it could be the cf card or the adapter it self as both of these products are usually chinkshit and finding good ones is expensive and hard.

also just install 98se by itself once you fix the cf card problem and copy the software manually from the packard bell cd

Transcend ones are usually great and hard to go wrong with. Those are also the ones always recommended (for a reason).
Most of the others have problems running as PATA disks reliably.

>DOS

Attached: 20180714_174813.jpg (4160x2340, 2.79M)

fucking hell, what could you possibly still use that for in 2018? with 95 you could at least do some classic gaymen on there.

but if you don't enable it, you can only use FAT16, which had a limit on the maximum partition size iirc

>fucking hell, what could you possibly still use that for in 2018?
Programming (gcc, tcl, perl5, awk is all installed)
Typesetting papers (troff/eqn/tbl)

>with 95 you could at least do some classic gaymen on there.
Retro threads are always crypto /v/ threads.
This place is shit.

Attached: 1328624037782.gif (300x215, 2.9M)

i have a solution to this,
make an image of a fully installed windows 98 machine
copy the image to the flash drive w/ mbr

so what should we talk about instead?

or cf disk w/e

i installed win 98 on a sata ssd (yeah it works)

why the hell wouldn't you program on something lighter, more power efficient and less autistic?

i dont even play games apart from shit from my childhood

Does the adapter have any jumpers for setting LBA?
You might have to settle for another card, adapter, or just install spinning rust inside the computer. Dynamic drive overlays are an option too, but I'd consider it as a last resort and reserved for PCs built before 1995.

no point in putting it on an ssd, windows 98 caps out at around 20mbps read/write

>why the hell wouldn't you program on something lighter.
I keep on the tray
>more power efficient
It's laptop; it doesn't take much power.

I don't have anything that will run Solaris 10 since it's so bloated with ZFS and virtualization. Plus Solaris 9 removed openwindows and I hate CDE. Solaris 8 was best Solaris.

just jumpers for master/slave and 3.3v or 5.5v

i keep throwing money at this, all because its my childhood 98 machine with a busted hdd. it came with a seagate 4gb hdd which started clicking last time i went to boot this up (2 years ago) so i figured buying a cheap cf/ide card would be the quickest way to see if it's worth keeping around. The only thing I like about this machine is that it has a Yamaha XG midi chip built in which isnt well emulated today and not extremely common anymore

Attached: cftoIDE.png (1194x727, 313K)

Yeah, but that limit was around 2GB if using 32K clusters.

it runs like a champ
youtube.com/watch?v=IFlw4x3Uquk

have a pic of packard bell install cd used on a secondary hard drive

Attached: hackeredbell.png (1024x768, 561K)

Fuck off retard.

>Solaris 10 since it's so bloated with ZFS and virtualization.
You can use Solaris 10 without using either.

>no point in putting it on an ssd, windows 98 caps out at around 20mbps read/write
This is false. I run 98SE off a SSD and the average read speed is 380Mbps.

it's still using gnomeshit/cde.
OpenIndiana forces you to use ZFS.

>it's still using gnomeshit/cde.
Gnome and CDE are two different things.

>OpenIndiana forces you to use ZFS.
Solaris 10 is not OpenIndiana.

depends on the speed of the controller and the choice of ssd mine was 2.5 in no converters or anything. all i had to do was image the installed OS to the drive (install in VM > backup partions/ mbr (hbcdiso)>copy image to new drive)

YMMV however you may be able to bypass most errors by making a blank autoexec.bat
and booting in safemode. i had to use the memory patch for more than the max limit (i can't remember the name) i know 95' and 98' have a ram limit

>Gnome and CDE are two different things.
yes and those are your default options in solaris 10
Have you ever run it??

>solaris 10 is not OpenIndiana
Yes, openindiana is a fork of opensolaris which is solaris 10.

Is a meme OS

Attached: IMG_20180714_193945125.jpg (2340x4160, 2.35M)

comfy

I bought a cheap PATA-SATA bridge, hooked up an 48GB mSATA SSD with a 2.5" mSATA to SATA adapter into the primary SATA port of the PATA-SATA bridge and plugged it straight into the cheapo on board PATA controllers primary IDE port.
Partitioned and formatted with fdisk and format.
Installed directly from 98SE CD.

did you partition it to 48 gb?
partition it to 32 gb

>yes and those are your default options in solaris 10
Those are indeed the default options.

>Have you ever run it??
I only have a few dozen SPARC machines. Do the math.

>Yes, openindiana is a fork of opensolaris which is solaris 10.
As I said, it's not Solaris 10, nothing to do with forcing you to use ZFS. OpenIndiana is a fork of a outdated version of OpenSolaris that was in itself based of the open code of Solaris, not just Solaris 10. It had many versions over the years.

also

i don't have any adapters it's just running on a sata chipset w/ a normal sata cable,

I used the full disk.
Maximum size for 98SE is 137GB.

>OpenIndiana is a fork of a outdated version of OpenSolaris
source.

fat 32?
make it 32 gb

Why not a recent linux distro? Debian 7 still has olvwm

>I only have a few dozen SPARC machines. Do the math.
Then you're just stupid to think that saying gnome/cde was referring to the same thing?

>linux distro?
Commie bullshit.

Sweety, OpenSolaris has been discontinued for almost 8 years already.

Doesn't answer the question.

There is no 32GB limit with 98SE.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSolaris
>OpenSolaris (/ˌoʊpən səˈlɑːrJs/[6]) is a discontinued, open source computer operating system based on Solaris
>Latest release 2009.06 / June 1, 2009; 9 years ago

>2009
Confirmed for solaris 10 source then.
Lives on in illumos.
Now try posting something that doesn't confirm what I've said.

guys its a moot point
Solaris 10 is bloated and won't run on a PIII with 576megs of ram.

ok upon further investigation you are right about the limit but i suggest you try changing the size of the partition using another os or bootable disc. and not the win 98 cd. also does the converter support a drive that large?

Argie/10

Is there a way to get 98SE on floppy?

>Everything I don't like is crypto /v/
When will you stop crying? You little pussy.

> start sonique

ah i see you are a man of refined tastes

>DOS Computer Thread
>OP pic of Win 98

what's your point? win98 was still a dos GUI

>This place is shit.
basically. /v/ tards need to fuck off.

>what is retro/dos
>win 98 is not retro

>Retro threads are always crypto /v/ threads.
This. Gamers are cancer.

Based on the tech you had as a kid, are you Xoomers, Yoomers, or Zoomers?

Attached: 1519940561563.jpg (1128x1535, 2.08M)

I saw like 3 working PCJrs selling for under 10$ each plus shipping

I missed em though

>I hate CDE
pleb. CDE and Motif is peak UNIXCORE
only thing better is irix

>pleb. CDE and Motif is peak UNIXCORE
Only if you like design by committee.
Nobody I know used CDE on Solaris. Hell, they only ripped it out in Solaris 9 and that was because they were moving to JDS (aka gnome).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Desktop_System

Note the screenshot date is 2001. So CDE lasted 5 years before being replaced.

Attached: gnome.png (1006x233, 41K)

gnome is bloatcore

cde is great the way it is

eh by 2001 nobody was using UNIX anyway.
I just don't know anyone that used CDE on Solaris.
To skirt the standard they made dtlogin the default session manager and had it ask you which DE you wanted. Everyone chose openwindows.

openwindows isn't aesthetic or memorable though

Then BSD.

it's only memorable because of the standard.
It forced all UNIX's to show it in marketing materials.
It's just funny that CDE was mostly based on HP's vue and they even abandoned it for gnome.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_User_Environment

>Retro threads are always crypto /v/ threads.
retro threads here are infested with plebeian retrogamers who don't know anything other than Win9x/DOS/8-bits for as long as I can remember
why the fuck are you here if the only thing you care about is saving money and time, do you even truly like technology or do you just pretend to be interested in it because it's trendy?

the "design by committee" is exactly what makes CDE attractive, it's ugly, clunky and machine-like. openlook is kind of nice too but I never liked the decorations versus motif, I've seen both in the wild and I think it really just depends on the shop you're in
>Note the screenshot date is 2001. So CDE lasted 5 years before being replaced.
that screenshot is pretty much just some random retard running on about things that he knows nothing about, considering CDE was still the default on both of those systems at the time
I wouldn't peg CDE's "replacement" on Solaris until 2005 when JDS started shipping standard, and no HP-UX version actually used on a conventional workstation shipped standard with GNOME or even included it as an option on the installation media, its mere existence didn't mean shit

>that screenshot is pretty much just some random retard running on about things that he knows nothing about, considering CDE was still the default on both of those systems at the time

Sun never had a default, it asked you at login which one you wanted until Solaris 9. But like I said JDS was being worked on and was a downloadable packaged. It was mainly that GNOME2 wasn't ready when they were releasing Sol9, but sol9 didn't bring much to the table over sol8.

I want to dualboot GNU/Linux with FreeDOS. Any guide?

Attached: BEHOLD.jpg (1005x1200, 190K)

>But like I said JDS was being worked on and was a downloadable packaged. It was mainly that GNOME2 wasn't ready when they were releasing Sol9, but sol9 didn't bring much to the table over sol8.
yeah but none of this really means CDE just up and vanished just because GNOME was available, just as there were still people like you who kept going with olwm despite CDE being the hot new thing
FreeDOS sucks shit

Shouldn't os-prober detect it if you install Linux on a system that already has any flavor of DOS on it?

Hello from NT3.51

Attached: kek.jpg (1920x1080, 554K)

Oh, so FreeDOS can automagically install himself aside GNU/Linux?

>yeah but none of this really means CDE just up and vanished
Everyone wanted it to, it sucked.
Even the people who created it wanted it gone, it just took too long to rip up a standard.

>...eventually succeeding CDE...

Attached: myimage.png (1089x140, 13K)

is that just the toastytech FF build or something newer?
was having captcha fuckups last time I tried posting here from HP-UX mozilla and it kind of worried me that FF2 might be fucked too

Other way around, I'd expect that if you run any distro's installer on a system that already has FreeDOS (or any other DOS) on it, the installer (or rather GRUB's os-prober that the installer runs, or that you run if you're installing Arch or Gentoo) will detect FreeDOS and install Linux around it.

really multibooting is more about what the bootloader recognizes and works with than what the rest of the OS does. Windows' bootloader is willfully ignorant of other OS's for instance, but GRUB can recognize it and work around it (by having itself invoked first and then chainloading the Windows loader, if the user selects the 'boot windows' option)

I know how to do it from any distro, but I am not sure how to install FreeDOS on top. Do you have any info on the FreeDOS bootloader?

none of this really impacts my point though that you're trying to pretend that nobody used CDE and that it was immediately swept under the rug the moment some bloated optional package came out, which couldn't be further from the truth

none of these HP announcements you keep posting mean shit anyway because HP-UX workstations died before any of that even came to fruition, I don't even think that package is available on the 11i install media

>none of this really impacts my point though that you're trying to pretend that nobody used CDE
5 year "Standard" pretty much proves nobody wanted it.
irix never used it. (i think you had it as a option nobody used)
Sun had it as an option that nobody used.
HP-UX dropped it like a hot iron after creating it and POSIX said they would rip up the standard that dictated it.
>because HP-UX workstations died
All Unix risc workstations died, but not until around 2008 a good 7 years after announcing the abandonment. And yes GNOME is on the install hockey pucks CD.

>5 year "Standard" pretty much proves nobody wanted it.
what does that say for Open Look's short lifespan then? Or Windows' widely praised "classic" shell that was "only" 6 years old when XP finally updated it? 5 years is a long time for any piece of technology, and if you look at CDE as basically the direct continuation of VUE that it is, it was a decade old by then and quite dated in a lot of areas
the rest of this post is just you pulling shit out of your ass based on a shoddy anecdote that you knew a couple guys who liked olwm over dtwm, it doesn't mean dick if it's even real and you're not just trying to be a contrarian
>All Unix risc workstations died, but not until around 2008 a good 7 years after announcing the abandonment. And yes GNOME is on the install hockey pucks CD.
what does this sentence even mean, what does it have to do with the reality that people weren't installing GNOME in droves on a specific hardware platform that no longer existed? Solaris was practically the only platform it took off on via the JDS, everything else at that point was stuck on CDE, dead or running headless and nobody cared what desktop environment was wasting space on it

Attached: 1515139908111.jpg (2272x1520, 2.43M)