Redpill me on Chromebooks

Redpill me on Chromebooks.

For an average scrub that uses it for web browsing, Netflix, and writing, is it good enough? Is it worth investing in a cheap Chromebook?

Attached: c05916387.png (573x430, 197K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/m8MsjxHQ
coolstar.org/chromebook/windows.html
lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/windows-tablets/miix-series/Lenovo-Miix-630-12Q35/p/88IPMX60984
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's a bad idea

It works for me. Especially with crostini.

Can you explain why? I'm not trolling or anything, I'm genuinely weighing up my options.

yes but still don't buy "cheap" hardware if you can help it. try to have at least an i3/Ryzen 3. $400 would be a good price point.

Thinkpad X220.

The hardware itself obviously varies with models but the OS itself is fine. If you don't like it you can just install your own OS on most if not all of them.
ChromeOS is just a stripped down Linux system that also runs Android applications or whatever Linux binary you want.

There's not much it can't do that other operating systems can. It's just a machine with a Linux distro on it.

basically a device with terrible build quality that has horsepower on a range from arm processors (early hp ones) to too much fucking power for a chromebook (pixelbook), running on what is an essentially a stripped down distro

This, but uniroincally

Someone figure out why this trips the spam filter on 4ch.
pastebin.com/m8MsjxHQ

Get a non-arm version and install coreboot. Then you can install whatever OS you want and have a laptop for chromebook prices

coolstar.org/chromebook/windows.html

Hi Tripcode!Q/7!

For that little use if you can't use a smartphone I'm sure its fine.

Chromebook prices aren't really any better than windows these days. They also have horrible emmc storage. I'd say windows laptops are actually better.

Sometimes I need to type on a full sized keyboard. I don't like typing for a long time on a phone for neck reasons as well. If you want to type a lot while traveling I feel like it's a must. Even if that means just typing over SSH.

Just get an iPad.

They're too thicc

I really enjoyed my Chromebook back in the day, but it's much more worthwhile in my mind to just save and buy something that can do a little more. Google has been doing a good job to bridge the gap though. If you're trying to save money and you just want to browse and stream video, it'll be fine

Attached: 135317323820.gif (500x281, 498K)

I'll put it this way: if you own MacBook, chances are very high that you'd probably be fine with a Chromebook. Just make sure you get one with an IPS display or you'll hate yourself

Get the Sammy chromebook pro

Current ARM Chromebooks have:
Open source kernel
Open source boot loader
Open source EC (nobody else has this)
Open source boot firmware

Once you install Arch Linux ARM on them
They're the least botnet machine you can buy

If tranny leah didn't have her meltdown there would probably be libreboots for all the current ARM chromebooks

Some Chromebooks will be officially running Debian software soon, so they are fast becoming very competent machines for general use.

I have the Toshiba Chromebook 2 2015 model. I bought it for $280 brand new on launch and it has
>13.3" 1080p IPS screen
>16GB internal storage (It's actually a type 2242 M.2 SATA SSD that is in fact replaceable)
>4GB DDR3L
>Intel Celeron 3215U dual core
>MicroSD card slot
>3 Cell battery
>USB 3.0, HDMI out, audio jack
>Backlit keyboard
>Skullcandy tuned audio
I've also been exclusively using ChromeOS on it as well. I get almost 14 hours of use on a single charge if I keep the screen brightness down to 50%. Close to 8 hours if I ramp the brightness all the way up. The laptop still manages to run lag free even with 15+ Chrome tabs open (Having ublock origin on chrome really helps stabilize just how much memory/CPU Chrome eats). Keyboard is decent and now Google rolled out native Android app and playstore connectivity to all major Chromebooks so you can use android apps on the fly. Having access to all the utility apps of android helped ChromeOS massively. I.e. I have access to a proper file manager now. Long story short, my chromebook is easily the best purchase I've made in a long while and I'd love to start seeing potentially AMD based chromebooks popping up. Hell I can even do light video and photo editing with Adobe lightroom and premiere now that I have access to the android playstore. I can also connect to my server easily.

For all the cases you're talking about using the Chromebook for, it's perfect. Don't listen to all the spergs on Jow Forums saying "get a thinkpad!". I have a T420. It's garbage for battery life, shit screen quality, and its only redeemable quality is its keyboard.

Lastly as far as installing Linux is concerned, you could, but that would defeat the entire purpose of a chromebook imo. ChromeOS is a fork of Gentoo linux at its core and an entire updated install of ChromeOS with all the Google utilities is just shy of 8GB. It does its job well.

Attached: IMG_0768.jpg (1920x1280, 340K)

Just posting this from Toshiba Chromebook

It's good for people with little computer knowledge. Actually my parents like their chromebooks a lot.

>my parents like their chromebooks a lot.
Chromebooks and boxes are great for giving to tech illiterate. They're so easy to govern as an admin, and being gentoo based, they're damn near bulletproof. Calls from my parents, uncle, and sister to fix their laptops and PCs has been drastically reduced since I bought both my parents their own Chromebooks. Little imouto got a chromebook for college and a chromebook in a rear monitor mount + Wireless keyboard and mouse for home.

>It's garbage for battery life

I get 9 hours using wangblows in my T430.

I own 2 9 cells for my T420 (primary and a slice) and I'm lucky to get 10 hours. That's only for standard use too like standard browsing. The screen on my T420 is only 768p to boot. So not only do I get garbage battery, I have to stare at an ugly screen.

Now I'm not knocking thinkpads entirely. My T420 still serves its purpose with its i7-2620m and 8GB RAM but it definitely shows its age. I'm eagerly awaiting the thinkpad A series launch, but a thinkpad for only the uses OP listed it a waste.

I have a Samsung Chromebook Pro (the non-backlit keyboard one) that I received as a gift for my to-go normie needs and a proper tower at work, if that's all your looking to do in your free time with a Chromebook you'll be fine, having Android apps might even be beneficial in your scenario. I use my Chromebook for normie shit as well (threw in on developer mode for the occasional crouton but it looks like I should consider looking into crositini rn.) It is a bit steep for a Chromebook but if you can find a good second hand deal for under 400, I say take it.

I like mine.

Installing arch was kind of a pain in the neck since I had to use an external keyboard during installation and then a ton of extra configuration to get everything working, but it was worth it in the end.

As an investment I'd say it was worth it. It has pretty good battery life, it was cheap, and it does what I want it to (word processing, irc, and Firefox). It's not a good option if you don't have another computer though. In my case I already have a nice desktop and just needed something cheap to take to class with me.

Attached: IMG_20180714_223148.jpg (5344x4008, 1.88M)

Unrepairable botnet node.

This, I would only recommend it if you plan to replace the firmware and OS.
I have a reflashed Asus chromebook that I really like as a cheap, compact, and quasi-rugged machine, but ChromeOS is like a fisher price playset with integrated nanny cam. Avoid.

Speak english Luigi

IDK just get a laptop from like 2009 and install some light weight linux distro on it and you have all the functionality for like 5 bucks

They can't use physically connected printers.

did the exact same thing

Good bang for your buck. Lightweight, good battery life, android and debian app support in the works.

If you're okay with a small bit of lag when browsing more intensive sites, go for it. If your thing is just general browsing, netflix, writing, it'll do just fine. Can also check for some models which have support for Windows 10 if you're really into it. I owned an old Chromebook Pixel that I got off a guy for 50 bucks, slapped arch on it, and it was a fantastic daily driver for even dev work for a good two years until I had to upgrade due to 3d work I was doing. Stuff works for day to day stuff great though.

Can't decide between a cheaper windows system and a Chromebook myself. A few things hold chromeos back for me, mainly things like crouton likely being a thing of the past with crostini and everything running in a container to the point that android and Linux apps can't even access external storage.

Higher end ones have nvme storage that's upgradable.

Then buy a Bluetooth keyboard for your phone. It's a lot cheaper.

They're shit. Grab a windows-compatible one, install Windows and be happy with it.
Or Linux, whatever you prefer.

I personally don't have to make such a compromise. If I want a device with a large screen and a full sized keyboard, I just buy that instead of trying to bolt things on to my phone which already has shit battery life without Bluetooth and screen mirroring activated.

That being said, I'm waiting on my Key2 to arrive in the mail soon.

lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/windows-tablets/miix-series/Lenovo-Miix-630-12Q35/p/88IPMX60984

why the fuck does this tablet with keyboard and laptop battery cost $800?

They;re OK. Seems half finished when I use mine. Half of the 'apps' just open as a web browser and not a separate window. And a lot of keyboard/mouse mappings are wrong