There is absolutely no reason to not be using GNU/Linux right now

There is absolutely no reason to not be using GNU/Linux right now.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-14_15-01-39.png (1366x768, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

media.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/case_studies/WaltDisney.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CodeWeavers
statista.com/statistics/761434/number-linux-games-steam/
youtube.com/watch?v=9a8YzP2Syd0
youtube.com/watch?v=OoU7M3181Qw
youtube.com/watch?v=czGzNdGcOzk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wait is PS on Linux a new thing? did they port the Ipad version or some thing?

>playonlinux
I think he's running it through wine.

I think for most conventional functions of what people expect from a computer can only be reliably done on a wangblows operating system which is why they have like 80% market share. Though linux costs $0 it's so bad for day to day activities that you literally have to pay them to use it.

Attached: 1467081959254.jpg (400x534, 200K)

codeweavers is a major contributor to wine.
they produced software under contract to
Disney that enabled them to run photoshop
on machines in their gnu/linux redering clusters.
media.codeweavers.com/pub/crossover/case_studies/WaltDisney.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CodeWeavers

Games. The second, say 25% of PC games are available on Linux i will switch.

The day all Japanese games are on GNU/Linux is the day I part from windows.

i'm neurotypical. is that a good enough reason

Why is dual-booting such a pain with Win 10?

But it is not?

I tried installing Debian multiple times this week. Noveau doesn't support my nvidia 1060 and for some reason i can't uninstall/reinstall debian.

As if photoshop was ever a good enough reason to be using windows.

Attached: wilber.png (474x474, 75K)

Gimp is not only behind its even younger competition (e.g. Krita or any photo editing software for values available on linux), but it's slowly dying.
It's not fast at all, unintuitive and almost more bloated than the worst points of the Adobe suite.
If you champion it or Inkscape, you have never done any professional work or anything beyond simple personal works.
When it takes the developers over 29 versions to implement a function that makes circles from scratch, you know something's wrong.

Its not at all

What's an alternative to inkscape?

true

Linux for average consumers are dying. People care more about comfort than freedom. They rather pay 150$ to have windows preinstalled then install a Linux distro.

Only place it will be alive is Android, servers and some TV's. It will turn into an OS only used in professional circles by engineers. Even there it will only be used by programmers, since most programs are available on windows.

Source: I used to work at Continental, programming flashloaders. Even there, the software and hardware engineers used Windows since that's what people are more comfortable with.

I play games. Also I need office on my laptop

You mean like open fakebook or local newspaper garbage online in chrome? Yeah you definitely need wangblowz to reliably open chromium

Weird, it works with my 1070 just fine. You could always boot into mode 3 to remove noveau and install the proprietary drivers

on my desktop i have an ssd dedicated to windows and an ssd dedicated to linux and a HDD they can both mount and store things on. Its pretty comfy user

There is absolutely no reason to not be using anything other than Mint right now.

What?
It took me like less than 20 minutes to download linux distro, put the installer on the usb, allocate space in disk manager, then install and boot linux when i got my new laptop. It also installs GRUB automatically, so it takes care of selecting which OS to boot if that's your problem.

Unless you downloaded something like gentoo or arch, but the pain is the point of those systems.

Linux does not have a regedit cleaner.

Baiting this fucking hard. Amazing.

>regedit
>regedit cleaner
>registries in general
I had no idea windows users were still living in the dark ages.

>The second, say 25% of PC games are available on Linux i will switch.
wine+dxvk m8

or gpu passthrough

>Gimp is slowly dying
They JUST had a major rework on the UI. Welcome back above the ground, user. Krita is a drawing program instead of a photo manipulation program. It may be a great tool in what it's meant for but it doesn't do what Gimp does since they are for a different purpose. You should definitely know this already.

CS6?

MacOS is better in pretty much every way for desktop use.

Attached: desktop.jpg (5120x2880, 2.95M)

>commie
>his name is miles
>lives in menasha, wisconsin
>aim

>If you champion it or Inkscape
My friend is a skilled toddlercon artist and has made fair amount of bucks doing work with Inkscape.

but they are user

>toddlercon artist
Is this what the kids are calling lolicons nowadays?

No.

>2018
>Playing proprietary video games which are the enemy of your freedom
Surely you know better than this, anons?

>watches jre

On the other hand I see no reason to not use Windows, for my purposes at least

My screen's a bit small for PS but that's fine since i'm probably going to swap this SSD into my tower for typesetting anyway

Attached: Saturday 18:33:06 2018-07-14.png (1366x768, 675K)

Hardware support (especially GPU drivers) is the main thing for me.

I don't get how it's 2018 and the main focus of linux isn't making it actually fucking work on all hardware.

>I don't get how it's 2018 and the main focus of linux isn't making it actually fucking work on all hardware.
It works on all the hardware it can actually make money. The sub 2% desktop adoption out of which a small portion are the muh gaymen type of people are an irrelevant speck that no hardware manufacturer wants to invest in because the money put in will be greater than the money they get out of it.

Look at intel. They have working GPU drivers because it's greatly beneficial to them as most linux desktops that are actually put to work somewhere have no need for great graphical prowess.
Nvidia GPUs on linux do the job of high-performance cuda-based computing just fine.

I did heard that AMD did brighten up their relatinship with linux devs though and are working to have their own open-source driver mainlined in the kernel, akin to what intel did for years now (surprise surprise the model turns out to be beneficial) while keeping proprietary "bobs" on top of it to add support for some openCL features.

Besides, linux actually does work on a wider range of hardware than any other operating system on the planet.

just install proprietary drivers

The overwhelming majority of machines are just used for facebook

Tell me again when AutoCAD is ported.

I think I will pass until Wayland starts working with the proprietary nvidia drivers or proper 4k support with multi-dpi setups comes to xorg

>CS6
that ancient trash still works? Pixelmator and Affinity are better anyway.

also you call it gnu/linux but use discord, photoshop, wine, spotify and placebofox lmao... or mint for that matter

> he can't even split windows

LMAO

When i installed Steam on my Lubuntu session it turned out that 56 of my 105 steam games worked on Linux!
You should check if your games work!
The big "holes" in popular games.
*All blizzard games
*Pubg
*GTA
*Rainbow Six Seige
*Fallout 4

statista.com/statistics/761434/number-linux-games-steam/

t. ard

You forgot fortnite
I only bring it up since its bigger than all of those

Congrats on running a prehistoric piece of software mah dude.
Also what's the point of using GNU/+Linux if you're gonna install trash like Spotify and Discord on it lmao

>Blizzard
youtube.com/watch?v=9a8YzP2Syd0
>GTA
youtube.com/watch?v=OoU7M3181Qw
>Fallout 4
youtube.com/watch?v=czGzNdGcOzk
Wine + DXVK is really opening doors.

Attached: 14925640_1243249882433951_8375708628059100502_n.jpg (460x599, 41K)

for shit casual games, linux is fine.
but for competitive games for non-retards, it must be run on windows
even if you can run it on wine or theres a linux build of the game, and it doesn't break, there'll be added input delay through multiple translation layers.
shitty casual players wouldn't notice any kind of delay. these are the same people that don't think 60fps is fine not even mentioning 240hz/300fps+ minimum is considered standard in the competitive scene. and these are the same people that wouldn't notice a 20ms delay in ping.
for competitive gaming, windows is still king. and always will be

Attached: 1412646620117.jpg (2592x1944, 590K)

I have over 1100 games on Steam. And pretty much no shitgames at all. Half are on Mac, and a third on Linux

nice MEEM HAHHAHAA

>240hz/300fps+ minimum
Show me a game that changes in 1/60s intervals let alone 1/144s intervals.

Either straight up can't run some programs or have to resort to shitty mac ports.

Linux is shit

Attached: 1487826529173.png (233x221, 123K)

I've yet to have something I cannot do in GIMP that I needed to do. How many people require PS and couldn't use a VM if they had to? I bet that group of people probably use a fagbooks too.

I want to play some Diablo 3 but I'm too much of a brainlet to get it working with wine.

>Show me a game that changes in 1/60s intervals let alone 1/144s intervals.
nigga, is you retarded? literally the upload picture of: cs is the prime example of a high skill highly competitive game that needs to be run at high frequency
leagues and tournaments runs standard at 128 ticks and thats only because the source engine can only go up to 128; after source 2 is implemented like it was with dota, every league would run it at 200+ or more. and because of how source behaves with frame rate, for high level play at 128 ticks, you cap your fps at (tickratex2)+1 or uncapped

You're baiting, right user?

Bad bait. It's literally a checkbox when installing any mainstream distro.

Kek
>Linux doesn't have Windows Defender!

>proprietary

>nvidia 1060
Buy AMD next time faggot.
>can't uninstall
You can use dd to wipe your MBR and reboot. Boom, fresh disk.

>can't uninstall Debian
Retard.

miles is that u?

>There is absolutely no reason to not be using GNU/Linux right now.
linux does not have Windows Firewall.
checkmate, communist

>MacOS is better in pretty much every way for desktop use
my laptop runs a cloud hypervisor and every hvm looks like a normal desktop window but its actually running several different hvm's at once, each one isolated from the other to effectively segregate duties such as shitposting, development, banking, work, cryptomining/wallets, and highly educational japanese computer games
also, if one of my highly educational japanese computer games turns out to have a trojan in it, it doesnt infect anything else.
and the vm's are stateless. should a hvm get a virus the infection only lasts until the machine is shut down. every time a hvm starts up it loads a template of the vm in question, and should i want any persistent changes, i just configure that in the template.
only user files are preserved across reboots, so all my docs are preserved across these restarts... basically malware only lasts as long as the vm is turned on for.
check, Macfag

Attached: QubesOS.png (1366x768, 408K)

What about gaming? In actuality though, I don't do a lot of gaming anymore. What would you recommend to someone who is currently using W10 on their desktop build?

>What about gaming?
18+

The program my employer uses a program that has no Linux port and my PC is too slow for Wine (I think, i'm just assuming that emulation will be too much for it. Really old PC.)

>Wine
Wine Is Not an Emulator

>There is absolutely no reason to not be using GNU/Linux right now.

The fact that Linux (of any kind) isn't a desktop OS and it sucks is the reason.

>discord
>photoshop
>spotify
Get the fuck out.

Attached: 1530133775817.jpg (605x605, 30K)

works perfect for my desktop, and has for about 6 years now

Come back when Adobe Premier works.

And multiplayer games.

how much work?

Google Lutris. It pretty much solves the gaming problem on Linux. Installs everything you need

>how much work?
it only took about 20 minutes to train her and raise her loyalty.
or do you mean how much work i do at my job?

I unironically think GIMP is better than PS and use it on Wangblows. I like the UI and all the functionality it gives me.

Wake me up when muh gaymes get ported to loonix

i mean to set up all those templates

>There is absolutely no reason to be using GNU/Linux right now.
FTFY

maybe about 30-40 mins each. i basically just start with a base image of something like fedora or debian and write down all the software i want installed and basically run an update and install the packages i wrote down.
the kali took the longest because i started out debian and then used katoolin to upgrade it manually to kali

and its not like i did them all at once. over the last few years as new templates were needed, i created them, and after that i just back up regularly incase something happens and i ever need them all back

Ubuntu unironically

Discord in particular, fuck

Call me a fag but the purchase of PearOS made me hate all things linux

it's popular with scanlation groups
fortunately you can use firejail for uploads and pidgin for normal talking

cs6 runs 100% fine in wine.. for years...

linux mint why

All Linux weather apps are complete ass. They rely on OpenWeather which sucks and is inaccurate.

This. I can't even play MoeKuri.

Is pen pressure finally working?

Attached: 1520462059180.jpg (907x778, 47K)

>hiding sauce of game

In what, PS? No fucking clue, but in GIMP and Krita it works perfectly.

Yes, with PS under Wine. Native programs work fine.

you niggers go about propagating linux the wrong way. don't worry about the freedom it gives you because that freedom only comes with the knowledge to utilise it. focus more on what linux actually does, and that is that it restricts. i unironically sell re-purposed E8400 machines with 4GB RAM and 250GB HDDs to grandparents with Ubuntu installed for $250 with 21" monitor and a generic chinkshit kb&m. i tell them that it is a limited type of operating system that is more like a tablet then it is desktop, so only expect to be able to do what you can on a tablet, plus a bit more. this shit actually sells for me. it is one of the most profitable parts of my business, considering as well if they return the machine + purchase a windows pc from me i give them a 10% discount on the purchase and then i can use that PC on the next person to hopefully lead to a windows PC purchase, and they still have the monitor, kb&m from buying the linux box originally. think of ways to creatively get linux into the market and the market will develop for it, simple.

there's a new game that came out last month called real life