/hpg/ - Headphone General

AKG master race edition. Sennshills btfo.

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone Guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Attached: k-on2_1704.jpg (636x358, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

van-damme.com/16a.html
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-jotunheim-and-ifi-idsd-black-label-dacs-and-headphone-amps.3717/
amazon.com/Arus-Classic-Hooded-Bathrobe-Turkish/dp/B00KYUFEMU/ref=br_lf_m_w229s446masp3o4_img?_encoding=UTF8&s=apparel
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#kf
youtube.com/watch?v=hrZuDtKIWJc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

WILLIAM THE SON OF SCHIIT SHILL HAS BEEN CURSED

BUY SCHIIT

Attached: deruntermensch.jpg (613x595, 352K)

>AKG master race edition. Sennshills btfo.

>not owning both

i feel bad for poor people.

so ordered my hd6xx on assdrop
ordered a magni 2 from schiit
already own a fulla 2 for my jbl lsr305s so i can passive volume control, no scratchiness in the pot desu.
did i correctly

Pretty much this. AKG K702 until my HD6XX arrive early October.

wtf is this shit?!

>magni2 + hd6xx
You should have used the extra money to get HD600 instead.

kys

I personally dont like the Fulla amp or DAC functions.

Aune X1S 10th anniversary edition is on massdrop for $200 and is a lot more featured than the shit stack, let alone the fulla 2 + a Magni.

>ordered my hd6xx
>ordered a magni 2
>already own a fulla 2
How can people still be this moronic in 2018?

What kind of mutt purchases non-driver matched headphones haha

i like the fulla functions that i can plug my turn table in line in and it comes directly out my monitors or headphones. the amp is also good for my ships desu.

i got the magni 2 in case the fulla 2 don't pull its weight.

What a bunch of losers lol

Aune X1S has RCA Line-in input, USB input, optical input, and coaxial input.

As well as having RCA output and 1/4" headphone output.

It would likely do everything you'd need, but hey, you do you man.

Does /hpg/ make their own cables?

I just made 1,5m and fuck long 5m cables for my K712s.

I used this cable: van-damme.com/16a.html with Neutrik connectors.

Mini XLR is a bitch to solder.

Attached: cable.jpg (1740x2320, 660K)

I make my own interconnects

Attached: IMG_20180608_124250030_LL.jpg (4000x3000, 3.58M)

Attached: IMG_20180713_142737.jpg (3456x4608, 1.92M)

>Budget
< 200 €
>Location
North EU
>Source
Phone
>Type of headphone
IEM, sports

Pls help. I need something that's comfy to use while working out and doesn't turn your ears to damp sweat caverns as quickly as most.

Attached: 8a89ab49398ab91c0982efd1798ed3ba.jpg (1200x800, 803K)

well i've had the fulla 2 for a few months, so a sidegrade doesn't matter much.

Nice lovelive stickers.

>sidegrade

>Fulla 2
DAC
>24/92
Amp
>40mW into 300ohm

>Aune X1S 10th anniversary
DAC
>32/384
Amp
>200mW into 300ohm.

The X1S isn't a sidegrade, it's literally the bigger better version of the Fulla2, more inputs, more amp power, and a much better DAC.

been a while since I've seen a post from you. Still liking the stax?

maybe i'll buy one later then idk
my inputs are my computer and my turntable
my outputs are my lsr305s and my headphones. so the fulla 2 does what it's supposed to do well, but a headphone amp might be better, hence why i got a magni 2 for like 60.

Wait, so you plan on just throwing your Magni 2 on the headphone output of the Fulla 2 and still have your speakers on the line-out of the Fulla 2?

That's gonna sound like garbage, you're double amping.

no no no. the fulla 2 has a passive volume knob, like a control freak. the jbls have white noise at higher volumes, and if i want to adjust i have to dick around behind both of them. the fulla 2 is also a dac, so it's basically my control freak with a dac built in.
the magni 2 i'll plug in the line out of the fulla 2, so it gets just pure dac signal as well.

So what are the JBLs gonna be plugged into?

Or are you just gonna be switching back and forth manually?

Attached: 1521165124722.png (224x225, 8K)

jbls go into the passive volume control of the fulla 2

i'll draw a diagram

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (2000x1125, 71K)

The Fulla 2 has a pre-amp output and a Line-out.

Though it's pretty shitty so that is probably contributing to the white noise he mentioned.

yeah it gets worse if i plug it in. it's inaudible unless i really cram my face into the speakers though. at a higher volume just plugged in, but not in the dac, it'll be very noticible and if plugged into the fulla 2 it'll be exacerbated.

do you measure dac performance in sampling rate? are you retarded?

No, but considering the Fulla 2 uses the cheap as fuck AKM AK4490 DAC chip, and the Aune X1S uses the Sabre ES9018K2M DAC chip, I can safely say the Aune is better.

even if there is a difference it should be not audible
but maybe it is because Schiit products are total garbage
and why do you say that aune is good? it cost $300 and has 10 ohm output impedance. what a joke, it's garbage too.

It's $200 on massdrop and the only reason i'd recommend it right now.

For the HD6XX especially which are 300ohm and give no fucks to a 10 ohm output impedance.

At $300 it's a rip off, at $200 it's better than the Schiit stack or the JDS O2+ODAC

how is it better than JDS O2+ODAC? it's worse for sure because of its OI

I'm talking about for the HD6XX, if you have some IEMs or something that requires lower output impedance there are other options out there.

But for HD6XX, the Aune has more power at 300ohm and allows for more EQ headroom, it also has a higher resolution DAC, and more inputs/outputs than the O2+ODAC.

Not to mention, you don't have to pay for stupid "upgrades" like having the power adapter rear mounted, or other shit that should be free.

i want to nakadashi mio

o2 power is more than enough to apply eq on hd650 and have headroom
"higher resolution DAC" is useless
do you own aune x1s?

Nope, I have the Schiit stack (original Modi and original Magni), and a Schiit SYS to control my speaker volume.

Sabre sounds thin and shrill. Now swap that Aune for Ifi dac and experience glorious Burr-Brown sound.

The only comparable ifi is the Micro iDSD BL at a cool $600, it's $400 more expensive than the Aune X1S is on massdrop currently.

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-jotunheim-and-ifi-idsd-black-label-dacs-and-headphone-amps.3717/
schiit btfo once again

Year after year Schiit proves they simply can't produce a high end product. And year after year they get shilled here incessantly anyway.

jotunheim != fulla/modi/magni
my one regret is i heard the magni 2 can't push the hd6xx that well compared to a magni 3, but i also heard the fulla 2 kinda can and the magni 2 is basically the same as the 3 but a bit less good so i really have no idea what to do. i'll just compromise and save the 30 bananas.

Does the Harman How to Listen software actually correlate with how discerning your ears are? I think I'm pretty bad at this, but I don't know what I'm supposed to be getting.

Attached: harmanhow2listen.png (728x1118, 227K)

what are you talking about? fulla 2 is total garbage, modi 2 is garbage

magni models have typically low schiit quality control and if they break then good luck with schiit customer service because it's awful

The Magni 2 can do 260mW at 300ohm, that's way more than the HD6XX need.

Depending on the music you listen to you wont even need more than ~50-60mW.

With classical recordings you may need double that or even more for certain pieces, but for most modern music, you'll have no issues at all with a Magni 2, and the Fulla 2 could probably do an okay job, but it'd probably be turned up almost to full most of the time, if not all the way.

Attached: 2018-07-14 18_37_04.png (828x277, 21K)

lol yeah so i should be good then desu. most of what i've heard is "it's good but not great." i'll just line out from the fulla 2 to the magni 2 then. already ordered it anyways.

ironically i got b grade which can sometimes mean getting a better QAed refurb. it's like buying used golf clubs. if they certified a refurb it must have worked and your driver won't lose its head.

i may be talkin out my ass there.

Attached: teehee.png (1378x652, 3.43M)

Buy ifi audio equipment.

Attached: 146884181117011.jpg (231x244, 11K)

Day 10 of waiting for my speakers. Once they are mine, I will revel in a near field listening setup.

Attached: __hatsune_miku_vocaloid_drawn_by_tantan_men_dragon__1c63164aea6b99c2f264aac1d21794f3.jpg (790x1024, 466K)

what'd u order

If it wasn't so expensive i'd consider it

I already did. Feels good.

Are Sandisk Clips just rebranded Sansa Clips or are they worse?

sansa clips are made by sandisk...

What is for this ?

Yes that's why I want to know if they're the same thing or if they changed it at all since the Sansa Clips are discontinued.......

Ifi's dacs use Burr Brown DSD1793 chip. It's an old chip but arguably still one of the best there is.

The chip is 24-bit though. How can Ifi's dacs support 32-bit audio?

>150 for an ifi iDSD Nano non-BL
>expensive
J U S T

lets be friends i dont have any

Attached: 1462198437701.png (680x750, 775K)

>How can Ifi's dacs support 32-bit audio?
this is what iFi said in response to this on headfi.

>It was the result of excellent work done at Burr-Brown Japan before it became TI and was meant to be used in High End universal disk players with excellent performance for CD replay, Audio-DVD and SACD. Unlike most newer Chips from TI and many others, it retains a true multibit core for PCM replay, based on the visionary (and under-appreciated) PCM69 AND it retains Burr-Brown’s unique and excellent approach to DSD replay, first introduced with the DSD1700 Chip.

>What this means in practice is that the DSD Stream only passes an analogue lowpass filter, there is no up-conversion or data manipulation applied at all. Very few DAC Chips available today allow for this.

>Further, with this chip we retain a true Multibit PCM Core, true, only the upper 6 Bits are converted using multibit conversion, while anything below the top 6 Bits goes through a 256FS low order delta sigma modulator, in many ways this particular configuration is the best arrangement currently available, short of using a true 32 Bit Multibit DAC, which realistically speaking does not exist (yet).

MIDI controller on my Apple© MacBook® Pro™ confirms 32-bit PCM

Attached: 1529260205904.jpg (2184x1692, 992K)

>Budget: ~$100
>Location: USA
>Source: PC
>Type of headphone: On-ear
>Closed
>Comfort level: High, I'll be wearing them for hours at a time
>Sound signature: V-shaped
>Past headphones: Shitty earbuds

Looking for something for my first real PC, ideally suited for listening to classical music

>150 for an ifi iDSD Nano non-BL
>expensive
if I had low-fi garbage, sure that'd be great.

Good luck getting decent sound levels with an HD650 from that, it only provides 130mW at 16 ohm, how the fuck will it provide 50mW+ at 300 ohm?

Also, looking for something warm, preferably

>on ear closed
>high comfort
Not many here are going to have experience with these. I'd suggest you look at Innerfidelity's wall of fame.

This loser can't even take a picture of his nerd gear haha

amazon.com/Arus-Classic-Hooded-Bathrobe-Turkish/dp/B00KYUFEMU/ref=br_lf_m_w229s446masp3o4_img?_encoding=UTF8&s=apparel
>warm
this is what i do after showers. dry off with a bathrobe and put headphones over it. works fine desu.

Attached: You-Can-Wear-Headphones-Over-This-Hoodie-Make-from-Speaker-Fabric-451216-2.jpg (1150x673, 80K)

If I like my HD 518 more than my DT 770 Pro, is the HD 578 a good purchase?

Attached: hd579.jpg (1356x1356, 127K)

>i like mid-fi headphones better than mid-fi headphones
>should I buy mid-fi headphones?

idk user, tough choice

sorry, HD 579

kek. I want something a little better looking than my HD 518, but I don't like closed-back cans or V-shaped sound profiles (at least from what I've tried).

Should be fine, but you'll more than likely end up wanting to upgrade to HD600

>claims ifi is too expensive
>but not expensive enough to power his cans

what did user mean by this?

buy stax or colorware

I'm complaining that for the price point the power output is minimal, i would need the Micro iDSD at $600. Far more expensive than what other amps that can deliver that power go for.

Sure, it's good quality, but I can get very similar specs for half the price.

You sure Nano BL isn't enough for your 650s?

the Nano BL is just barely enough if you listen to modern music, but I listen to mainly orchestral and opera, where in many cases you simply need more volume, especially in pieces with pizzicato or sections etc.

I KNOW that I need at least 100mW at 300ohm, and for EQ room, i'd prefer 150mW to give myself headroom.

The Nano BL provides 40mW at 300 ohm which again, is good enough for pop and other modern genres, but even then you might not have an EQ room depending how you like your EQ and your listening habits.

I have Sennheiser 598, which don't need an amp so I don't own one. I was considering buying higher end headphones that would require an amp/dac. But my I have a high end mother board that claims it has a dac/amp built into it. It says a bunch of things about AMP/DAC like:

"121dB SNR AMP-UP Audio with ALC1220 & High-End ESS SABRE 9018 DAC with WIMA audio capacitors".

My motherboard is the "Z370 AORUS Gaming 7" But would it be good enough for something like the HD600 or better? Idk if its an actual helpful feature of my mobo or its just buzzword gimick trash, meaning i would have to buy an amp aswell.

gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#kf

>ALC1220
can't find any solid specs on it, but assuming it has the same output power as the ALC1150, then it's not gonna be great for anything powerful.

That being said, HD598 are probably fine, HD600+ i'd say you need an amp.

The regular iDSD Micro is 450 brand new, and around 300 on eBay.

Also, what DAC + Amp. combo is going to give you near Mojo performance for less? Do you really think that the iDSD is just an amp?

I own it and a pair of Senn. cans and it definitely lifts the veil. Yeah, it isn't the Mojo but everyone hitches about Mojo build quality and support on Head-Fi, the literal shill website for Chord electronics.

What are we supposed to suggest, the RHA dual chip with that stupid proprietary balanced-out.?

Fuck off.

Attached: 1449684794383.png (1000x963, 116K)

s/hitches/bitches/

Attached: 1505854695676.png (427x415, 245K)

Sennheiser HD 558 or 579? 558 is cheaper so that's a plus to start off with. They also apparently have a more spacious sound. Bass is supposed to be stronger with those too, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Any thoughts?

Attached: cd1e755d.jpg (500x750, 33K)

imo 558 are better and there is a really easy foam removal mod that makes them even better.

i think the 579 has an updated driver and better looks, but use the 558 has a eq preset by metal571 which makes it sound so much better
youtube.com/watch?v=hrZuDtKIWJc

Anyone wanna talk me out of buying LCD-2 Classics or is it a good choice for the price?

Just got a pair of EL-8.

Not worth it. They sounds incredible, but planars aren't meant for living, breathing people. Look up crinkling and shit Audeze QA. Support is nice though.

They're 100% onions but they're nice.

Yeah I’ve heard the QA has been a problem too which is why I have reservations.

expensive speakers

I would buy the fostex th-x00

any headphones that can cure my tinnitus?

Attached: 1529040351235.jpg (415x357, 20K)

Have a pir if m50x and the speaker in one side doesn’t work, what’s the general troubleshooting process for these things? No sound at all

>Budget
$700AUD
>Location
Australia
>Type of headphone
1990, lcd2c, Dt770 250, HD600
looking for a singe ended amp, source is a Topping D50.

I have had both, the 2c is more detailed, but the thx00 is more fun and punchy.

The driver on planars is so thin that its always adjusting to different air pressure and this causes crinkling.

It's great for keeping you head perfectly still in a perfectly quiet and soundproofed studio while holding your breath for 5 seconds to hear all the details in 5 seconds of a track, but that's it.

They are pretty honest about their leather nonsense. They introduced vegan pads which completely outperformed leather and protein leather (eggshells?), but they last too long and don't use them on the new iSine crap.

Protein leather is almost as bad as leather, wearing out immediately, so they use it to make you rebuy more often.

Shit company tbvuqh famiginiggi

Attached: 1522317470915.jpg (916x910, 66K)

Why not the TH-610?

Talk about lack of driver matching haha

Attached: HD600.jpg (3024x4032, 839K)

my he-500 broke

Attached: 1524921999094.png (789x750, 18K)

No, it's a sidegrade. If you've got some HD5xx already, look at HD600.