Casey Johnston of The Outline and formerly of Ars Technica notes that the keyboards are so terrible...

>Casey Johnston of The Outline and formerly of Ars Technica notes that the keyboards are so terrible, she wouldn’t even buy the MacBook Pro on sale. In fact, she sold her 2016 system and now relies on an older MacBook Pro and a PC she built with the proceeds from selling the original.

>what am i supposed to do when the space bar stops working. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING WITH THIS FCKING KEYBOARD

>DaringFireball’s John Gruber writes, “This keyboard has to be one of the biggest design screwups in Apple history. Everyone who buys a MacBook depends upon the keyboard and this keyboard is undependable.”

>Designer Marco Arment writes:
>Butterfly keyswitches are a design failure that should be abandoned. They’ve been controversial, fatally unreliable, and expensive to repair since their introduction on the first 12” MacBook in early 2015. Their flaws were evident immediately, yet Apple brought them to the entire MacBook Pro lineup in late 2016.
>After three significant revisions, Apple’s butterfly keyswitches remain as controversial and unreliable as ever.

>In short, nobody — nobody — likes these keyboards. Musician Jonathan Mann even wrote a song about it, helpfully titled “I Am Pressing the Spacebar and Nothing is Happening.”
youtube.com/watch?v=FdS3tjEIqUA

Applel. It Just Breaks.

Attached: 1514035524428.png (685x1080, 395K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/the-technical-pants-that-replaced-my-jeans/
twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/600544946500849666
twitter.com/misandryqu33n/status/598960073659002880
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're typing on it wrong.

>macshit
Found your problem.

It's covered under warranty and they fixed this in the newest models. What's the issue

That it happened in the first place?

Isn't that the only argument for paying the Apple Tax to begin with? The idea that you get higher-quality stuff, instead of just some bullshit that they might repair under warranty and fix in a revamp of the line a few years later? If you're willing to say "Eh, it might break, if it does, I'll deal with that then" you're essentially getting the same experience as a PC. You might as well just buy one and at least save some money in exchange for dealing with the unreliability.

>we removed the membrane to reduce keytravel and typing comfort for thinness!
>stop suing us it's not broken!
>STOP SUING US!!!111 REEEEEEEEE!!!
>OK OK OK WE'LL REPAIR IT
>btw we added the membrane back but not all of it since there's no space, so it's not a full seal and dust can still get in
>please god let the warranties expire before our bandaid fix fails

lmao @ ur LYFE

Attached: 1528024747405.jpg (1200x1200, 713K)

mactoddlers will defend this

I keep saying this shit.

Listen, as someone writing this on a 2017 model of the MacBook Pro this thing is shit.

The keyboard is loud as fuck and my fingers hurt. Why did I buy this? I got 25% off thanks to a friend at Apple. Besides that, it works well with my iPhone and other iShit because I like continuity.

Yeah I'm a slut for Apple at this point. Jony Ive has a fucking hard on for thin shit and now my fingers hurt, fuck me.

Not only that I bought this shit less than a month ago before the new one came out - fuck me right.

Bottom line: who gives a fuck. We're all gonna die one day and my fingers still hurt.

I didn't think Mactoddlers typed enough for such an issue to bother them. I thought they only used the macs and their giant touchpads to enhance scrolling through their Facebook feed.

Only reason the backlash isn't bigger TBHfam.

Apple should just throw in the towel and go back to normal scissor switches or try to license Dell's maglev switches. By the way the HP Spectre's plain ass keyboard feels great. Normal as can be with decent travel. This is a failure of innovating purely for show just like all of Razer's garbage

Stop typing so hard like a retatrd

>maglev
Literally just a butterfly keyboard with a magnet. They even said it themselves in the unveiling.

stayjellythickbadfaggotsmaybeifyousaveupenoughgoodboypointsmommywillbuyyouarealcomputer

kek

I had the spacebar issue, luckily it was about 6 months after I got it so I was still under warranty (they've since extended that). But it was a major pain in the ass, since I had to first go to the damn apple store, so that they could confirm my spacebar was indeed fucked. Then they had to order the replacement keyboard assembly, since they didn't currently have one in the store. And once it arrived, they took several days to repair it.

But the fact that it breaks isn't the only issue, the real pain in the ass is that it's impossible to fix on your own. If like me, your spacebar stops working and you dare take it off, there are (iirc) 12 tiny hooks to connect it to the lower assembly. They are extremely thin and brittle, and one or two are guaranteed to break when you first remove the space bar. Then there are a few plastic pieces that need to be hooked into the lower assembly, but also carefully positioned and stuck down to the base of laptop. This is basically impossible to do sufficiently well, so only half your spacebar will work, and it will probably come loose again in a few minutes or a few days.

The one upside of all this is they've extended the warranty for keyboard replacements, and keyboard replacements involve replacing the whole top case, which includes the battery. So essentially free battery replacements.

I'm not even typing that hard

>If you're willing to say "Eh, it might break, if it does, I'll deal with that then" you're essentially getting the same experience as a PC.
Real talk, I have an old cheapo Dell laptop, which served me faithfully for almost 10 years.
It went through almost every torture possible, from Cheeto dust and spilled coffee to running miners on it 24/7 and dropping it on the floor, and the only thing that died and I had to replace once over all these years was the battery.
It still works perfectly, even though the hardware is getting more and more obsolete with each year, I've never had to bring it to repair shops, and I've cleaned, like once every two or three years at best.

Meanwhile, my brother had an old MacBook Pro bought the same year, and it starting shitting itself only after 2 or 3 years, despite the fact that he treated it like porcelain, and the official Apple support refused him warranty service citing bullshit reasons.
In the end, he had to go to a third-party service centre and repair it there, out of his own pocket.

The idea that your MacBook lasts less than 3 years, and that after that point you're supposed to throw it into garbage is fucking ridiculous in the first place, but the fact that people tolerate it and come back asking for more dicks in their ass is even more unbelievable.

Attached: Mental Resistance (Charm).png (701x622, 306K)

If you talk to support you may be able to score a refund you retard

>you may be able to score a refund
>may
Ah yes, this is what you should base your purchases on: a shill on Jow Forums saying your several-thousand-dollar faulty computer MAY get refunded.

Attached: macshills.jpg (4500x3000, 1.6M)

>(((artist))) forever immortalized apple in music cuz of bad (((applel design)))

when did we jumped into this timeline?

Is this a serious post? The warranty is a huge benefit of going Apple. You actually have a spot to take in your machine instead of going to some rando's computer repair shop or shipping your computer or phone to some repair center

>In short, nobody -- nobdy -- likes these keyboards.
I'm quite loath to be defending Applel here, but I'd think that most of their idolaters actually do like the keyboard for making the laptop (((thin and light))), only they aren't clever enough to realize that it's a package deal.

Attached: apple-4.jpg (675x665, 49K)

>The warranty is a huge benefit of going Apple
>Apple service centres deep-frying circuitboards and using bandaid solutions to make you fuck off until your warranty period ends, instead of, you know, actually replacing the faulty part, is somehow a huge benefit
>and the warranty service isn't even free in most cases
????
I'd rather pay for my repairs in some rando's repair shop, knowing that he will simply buy the required part and replace the faulty one, instead of fucking around with jerry-rigged solutions or telling me "it's a feature, not a bug".

Apple wants you to use Siri's speech-to-text functionality more

Attached: 1531601220549.png (480x480, 254K)

My fingers feel fucking great

t. cherry MX brown

Yeah the keyboard fails.

But I actually like the feel. The keys feel like omron switches found on mice. Take a look at the gap of your mouse button and see how much the travel distance is. Don't care if I sound like an apple cocksucker but they're just approaching typing from a different direction. It is very mechanical and you definitely know when you hit a key stroke.

fpbp

>What's the issue
This shouldn't be happening in the first place, it's a goddamned keyboard not a fucking Tesla vehicle.

>my fingers hurt.
what do you mean your fingers hurts? nigga this is not a typewriter, your fingers are not supposed to hurt, go see a doctor

I don't see what the problem is, just buy a new one when that one breaks :^)

>applel

Attached: 1523357295907.png (587x1052, 323K)

>But the fact that it breaks isn't the only issue, the real pain in the ass is that it's impossible to fix on your own. If like me, your spacebar stops working and you dare take it off, there are (iirc) 12 tiny hooks to connect it to the lower assembly. They are extremely thin and brittle, and one or two are guaranteed to break when you first remove the space bar. Then there are a few plastic pieces that need to be hooked into the lower assembly, but also carefully positioned and stuck down to the base of laptop. This is basically impossible to do sufficiently well, so only half your spacebar will work, and it will probably come loose again in a few minutes or a few days.
This is by design, that's why Apple is so obsessed with making their laptops as unique as possible, it's so customers become enslaved to their tech support and keep dishing out the big bucks to fix minor shit after the warranty expires.

>this logic doesn't apple outside of US

you get 2 years warranty in EU and Australia and both have consumer rights to extend past that

The US isn't even their biggest market.

You will need to push the consumer law. I've been told by ex Apple retail staff that they were instructed not to tell consumers about it unless absolutely necessary

I think the accc did end up suing them over it

yeah but it's not really hard to push the consumer law

and yes they got sued and fined for apple care as they were implying only 1 year

1 yr warranty here in Brazil (plus 3 months of law-mandated warranty) and after that you pay for repairs out of your own pocket

We really need to crack down on companies that manufacture electronics that are meant to be thrown away after they stop working properly in a year. We throw away entirely too much shit that could just be refurbished if someone gave a damn enough to collect it. The companies that generate this garbage should be required to dispose of it if the device they built isn't built to last.

Maybe get good switches next time

>forcing companies to make shit last 1 year even though some stuff is really cheap
>then forces them to pay for all disposal
>thinks stuff dies after 1 year on purpose
>thinks anecdotal evidence means everything dies
>implying this doesn't drastically drive up costs

American culture is throw away culture, user

>t. mactoddler

I don't think its crazy to expect a device to work for a minimum of 4 years. Why can't device manufacturers can't be required to use standardized batteries and offer support for older devices for longer than a year? If they did those two things most people wouldn't be throwing away their smartphone every other year. Then we could just require that device manufacturers have to provide a way for consumers to dispose of older devices.

>Why can't device manufacturers can't be required to use standardized batteries

So they all have to use the same size battery regardless of what's good for their design

apple increased their battery capacity by over 5% in the mbp to compensate against ddr4 ram and the new intel chips so battery life hasn't gone down

who sets the standard for the battery? Is there different sizes for gaming laptops, ultrabooks, 13/15", workstations. Why go back to bulky battery ports at the back

also people don't throw their phone away the sell them and buy a new one or recontract

>gluing the keyboard in with other components
literally a throwaway toy

apple riveted them to the chassis for rigidity

pretty sure the only thing glued on apple stuff is batteries as it negates the need for a frame/latch and they can put batteries further into corners

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 127K)

>So they all have to use the same size battery regardless of what's good for their design
How about a middle option. They can use their own form-factors but they have to make it available as a replacement part to consumers. I would like for device manufacturers to be required to provide instructions for how to replace the battery on their devices.

I mean, the world has to support 2 billion chinese and 1 billion indians already, we can't afford to be "creative" with our handling of resources, this just isn't sustainable

holy shit i wish the EU would get on this, they could buttfuck apple real hard

Attached: 1502718806595.jpg (500x500, 54K)

subhuman apple sheepfaggot spotted, terminate immediately

this is 100% correct and it keeps happening, appletards will eat whatever shit gets served on their plate provided it has the right logo

Seems like an unbiased source.

KYS

I'm loving my macs!

Attached: Captura de ecrã 2018-07-15, às 06.15.45.jpg (2604x1956, 581K)

*crickets*

Attached: courage.jpg (636x544, 59K)

>casey johnston
did anybody manage to archive that video of her pouring water on her waterpoofed pants before it was deleted?
i jerked off to it so many times

Because this kind of shit gives a company a bad face,, even if it's covered in warranty. Company like Apple is living on one thing and one thing only on it's reputation of being good hardware manufacturer.

this.

t. cherry mx blue

Doesn't happen in Jade laptops.

>tfw you could just tell that the new model keyboards were shit so you bought a used 15" 2015 model instead
Despite Jow Forums's warnings of horrible battery life and throttling this is actually the best laptop I've ever used.
It might also go down as the last good laptop that Apple made.

Attached: 556323904916.jpg (680x591, 34K)

Not fixed in the newest models.
Only covered under warranty because they were sued into submission.
The problem is that the butterfly switches are something no one asked for, doesn't improve the laptop or typing experience in any way, is a pain in the ass for Apple or anyone to service, turns out to fail extremely easily and Apple refuses to admit it was a bad idea.

I get 7-8 hours with my 13 inch and about thermals. Idle is always at 30c and full load reaches 70c at max.

Kinda sad to dig up old articles just to bash Applel.

So it's not even a facebook machine now.

I have the same experience with my model.
It really helps if you disable the transparency and turbo boost.

The real solution is to release a MacBook with a touchscreen keyboard.

There can't be a last if there was never a first.

>applel

Yeah I have disabled turbo. No need for it, just wish I could undervolt it.

At least your ass is trained well

I have a 12" MacBook (2016). Not a single problem with the keyboard. In fact I like it a lot as it takes less pressure to press the keys. You can get pretty fast typing with this keyboard.

So?

If casey neistat hates it, it must be good.

>Ars Technica

Attached: 1514260526248.png (188x264, 77K)

man, the person who made this image is a butthurt faggot

t. shill

>product breaks
>keep buying from the same brand
when will they learn?

Lmaopoorfagsthinkdifferntlyaboutneedingaspacebar

Attached: 2kuf8nfyvl911.jpg (520x676, 80K)

I can get a multiple year onsite repair warranty with accidental damage from Dell, HP, or Lenovo where the tech is shipped a part and comes to my house to fix it for less than Applecare.

Id rather buy a new MacBook every 3 months than use windows 10

>have to go to a shop and carry you broken shit
>it's better than a courier picking up the stuff on your doorstep

most people would prefer to drive somewhere to have the laptop fixed as repairs are usually same day rather than being without the laptop for 2 weeks or more (time in transit + time at depot for repair)

have you tried any of the new butterfly keyboard macbooks?
holy shit, there's virtually zero key travel anymore. it literally would've been better if they shipped a glass touchscreen with a keyboard pattern printed on it.

Holy shit, it even has this newflanged thing called a GUI, you can't even boot into MS-DOS. In fact, it doesn't even have MS-DOS!

>Casey Johnston
>of the outline
noooooooooooo she was better than this
fuck topolsky and his jewish fucking shit
but yeah, fuck macs

Haha!

zero travel is a non-feature
tactile feedback is very important for typing.
Have fun writing a 20 page document by clicking on the on-screen keyboard

Macs have a headphone port and Fucking NO ONE uses Ethernet jacks anymore.

Only one dongle is needed

>NO ONE uses Ethernet jacks anymore
what a fucking idiot you are
and if they don't, it's because your shitty company whose cock you love to suck and whose shit you love to eat removed it
kill yourself

>sell a broken piece of shit product
>keep using same broken feature for more revisions
>Applefags defending the practice because "it's covered by warranty, though"

Attached: tumblr_inline_mumvwi4JpW1soya4m.gif (500x198, 994K)

Jesus Christ newfag, that's Shoeonhead's parody of a millenial SJW.

Are you serious? Literally first video search result.
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/the-technical-pants-that-replaced-my-jeans/

>This keyboard has to be one of the biggest design screwups in Apple history.

She's too young to remember Steve Jobs shipping computers without fans

No it's not. Are you blind?

>boomers are so retarded they have to add the extra 3 panels to understand the joke

There's so much to object to in that image that it doesn't hurt pointing out what particular thing one wanted to draw attention to, or otherwise putting it into context.

>it doesn't hurt pointing out what particular thing one wanted to draw attention to

Clearly you don't understand how humor works

Attached: 5p30dpunefmy.png (450x764, 488K)

this basically confirms one of the things I know to be true:

No one uses a Mac to do real work.

twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/600544946500849666
twitter.com/misandryqu33n/status/598960073659002880

What does it feel like to go through life with a two digit IQ?

>What does it feel like to go through life with a two digit IQ?
Thanks for the sauce, senpaifag. I reckoned that was the only way to get it.