/spg/ - Smartphone General

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: q8x9mjP76nG9DTfLHABrrK-970-80.jpg (970x545, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX
youtu.be/tD-VuwulVgI
youtu.be/I36qvNvWBRY
lg.com/us/stylo-series-mobile-phones
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My phone got stolen 4 weeks ago and I need a new one. Thought about buying the redmi note/mi8/oneplus6 until the samsung note 10 or S10 comes out. What do you think which I should buy? A decent camera would be appreciated.

note 8 user, and loving it

>live in the US(Verizon)
>trying to find a good upgrade from my Note3 in the 200-400 range
>every time I find a phone that looks pretty good for my needs(long bat life, micro sd) i find out it doesnt support verizon's bands or is LTE-4G only or something weird like that.
>everything else is like 500+

help

I have a meizu m2 note and I am looking for a new phone since the battery has started dying. The new phone needs to meet this requirements.

>Under 300$
>5.5 Screen with at least HD resolution
>Long battery life (Related to other phones since I don't know the current standard)
>I don't need it to be powerful (I don't play games in my phone), but it needs to be smooth.

I have been looking at some Motorola phones and they seem to be good, are they the right choice?
Thanks for the help.

Try Redmi note 5 or asus max pro m1

Essential PH-1 has dropped to $400, that's your best bet
People here shill Xiaomi constantly, and their a good choice, other good choices would be the Nokia 6.1 or 7 Plus if you don't mind spending extra, as far as the battery life is concerned yes, the Moto Z Plays get the best battery life because of the battery mod

WHY THE FUCK CANT I CONTROL THIS SHITTY ROUNDING
WHY IS MY FUCKING SCREEN RUINED, I CANT SEE THE GAME VERSION
WHY CANT I TURN THIS SHIT OFF IN THE SETTINGS
No, seriously, how they made this roundness. If custom roms also have rounded edges, so it has to be done on driver level or something?

Attached: unknown.png (841x875, 728K)

>buying xiaomi
no please

My god I never thought of the possibility that people on this board play pubg or fortnite, especially on a phone. More mouth breathers by the day

Considering how many stupid questions this thread gets on a daily basis about
>durrr what phone should I buy?
Without giving pertinent information, why are you surprised?

I had hope

It's youtube video screenshot you blind fuck, better answer the question.

Pic related should be the OP image from here on out

Attached: 71w3zYX3gSL._SY606_.jpg (416x606, 79K)

>U.S.
>Verizon
>~$500-$600
>Need either Android OS or iOS for work, but I've been using iOS for 5 years now and would like to switch to Android if possible
>I use my phone for music, so high storage capacity is a must. Other than that, I don't use any resource-intensive apps

S9+ comes in two days lads, should I pop on nova launcher upon arrival?

Jesus Christ, how many times are these Verizon idiots going to ask these questions? go on the fucking website, VZW doesn't play nice with unlocked phones unless they're Motorola's or Essentials

Bestbuy and verizon have a good deal on S9/S9+, although it is a monthly plan I believe. If you have a good condition phone you can get like $200 off S9/S9+ off samsungs website too. Other than that verizons site has basically anything that works. They dont really support chinkphones like oneplus 6, xiaomi, huawei, etc

OP, next time one of these threads are made, can we have a section dedicated for Verizon users that say "do your fucking homework, Verizon doesn't play nice with unlocked phones" please? I'm getting sick of these idiots

Femanon here

Why does anyone sign up to Verizon then? Don't they use some weird CDMA standard too that is incompatible with the rest of the world? What is the point in using them as a carrier. Is it just an American thing

Attached: selfie2.jog.jpg (764x1024, 101K)

Disregarding the initial bait, the reason why people go with Verizon is normies think they have the best Nationwide service, which they really don't anymore, and yes they are a CDMA carrier along with Sprint, and to have a phone on their Network you have to pay the licensing fee to Qualcomm who holds the patents, most unlocked phone mannies don't want to pay Qualcomm twice or a third time
It seems like Qualcomm and Verizon have a little deal amongst themselves because the IMEI whitelist for VZW/Sprint is a short one compared to T-Mobile and AT&T

They are the best US carrier for the phones they do carry, which are basically the big 3 (iphones, samsungs, google phones) and some moto and LG phones. Tmobile, AT&T, and especially Sprint are pretty shit tier. I think Tmobile and AT&T support GSM though. I would switch to T mobile to try out some of the support GSM phones but I am mooching off my parents verizon plan

Note 8 is garbage. Slow brick after 6 months. No removable battery.

something like this?

>T-Mobile and AT&T are shitty
>I'm milking off my parents plan
You don't have a clue what you're talking about, just stick to posting what you know about, which is zilch

Thanks

fuck, forgot the pasta. here it is:

Subject: /spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

>Verizon users
Ask to compare between phones that are supported in the Verizon's website, it has basically anything that works. They dont really support chinkphones like oneplus 6, xiaomi, huawei, etc nor they do play nice with unlocked phones unless they're Motorola's or Essentials

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread >>

If that's what you want, then get it
You don't have much of a choice in phones as stated already

Thank you, seriously

Attached: 1527216172526.jpg (800x600, 36K)

Tmobile is good, did not mean to put that with sprint and At&t which is why I want to switch. Ive just heard sprint and at&t are dogshit from friends that have used it. May just be my location too as I am not really in a big city that may be covered by all the networks

>dont want s9+ because of samsung's android version
>lg g7 has the apple notch

WHY the fuck did they add the notch WHY

You can just flash a custom ROM if you really dont like the samsung shit. It isnt as bad as it was years ago though, but I would at least try it out if I were you and if you dont like it then just use a launcher or flash that shit

You've paid for that feature, enjoy. :^)

Attached: Screenshot_20180714-231236_Clover dev.jpg (1080x2220, 396K)

>$200 or less
>micro usb
>durable
>removable back
>powerful enough to last a few years
>needs to work with ting
what should I be looking at

Attached: 1530983492750.png (851x508, 392K)

I'm on an AT&T MVNO and I have no problems whatsoever with reception, data, or anything anywhere on the East Coast, you might live in a shit area for their service, but I switched to AT&T towers from Sprint and the difference is night and day
Sprint is the a solute worst for coverage and data speeds

Yeah I live in bumfuck midwest so my info isnt reliable for other regions. T.b.h I havent met anyone that has used at&t or sprint for like 7 years

Attached: Artboard-Copy-33.jpg (714x446, 217K)

Don't bother with those "third party metrics" companies, they rank the carriers according to how much they pay the companies
Especially when the one VZW likes to tout was actually proven incorrect when they said Verizon has the fastest LTE Nationwide, which is bullshit, then the whole spat between T-Mo and VZW happened
It's all bullshit

Are there any recent phones that are easily rooted being made anymore? I'm kind of ready for an upgrade.

My Redmi Note 2 is dying after 3 years. I am thinking about getting a new phone with a good battery life, but I am not sure if it is worth cutting on the main specs.

The Motorola E5 has a 4000 mAh battery but it only has 2GB. If I get a Huawei p20 lite or a Motorola g6 I will have some good performance with 4GB but with a 3000 mAh battery.

Can you recommend any phones from 200$ to 400$ with a good battery life and performance balance?

Attached: giphy.gif (320x180, 1.37M)

Buying a shitty new phone. Is .3 gHz across 8 cores worth 70 USD?

Attached: notundermyruff.jpg (992x744, 88K)

Motorola G series

Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom

When it comes to ARM, yes
Moto Z2 Play

>thinks not playing pubg makes him supperior intellectual
how did you know it's pubg? checkmate. also pubg the mobile version is awesome, fornite is garbage.

femanon here too. women power! you go girl! show them world what you made off! usa is weird, expensive health care lol also the carrier lmao why can't you just be normal like the rest of the world, usa still live in stone age? low tech country because only specific device can get 4g. usa should just nuke themselves. #indiansuperpower2020, we will shut up no more to bullies that call us name!

Attached: Screenshot_20180715-130631_Firefox.jpg (1440x2960, 959K)

Which arm?

your left and your right

How will I ever feed my starving family?

you could start by taking lessons from an amputee
youtu.be/tD-VuwulVgI

iPhone?

Thanks. The G6 looks good.

I have a Google Pixel OG that works fine, is running Android P (DP 4? Whatever the most recent one is), and has been good for the past almost year. Should I upgrade to another phone when it comes up?

dunno about the G6
I know the X4, G5+/G5S+, and the Z series can be rooted/bootloader unlocked

there's nothing mind blowing right now
ride it out as long as you can

So playing anything competitive on a J7 Pro rather than an A5 woyld be like playing with one arm tied behind my back?

precisely, couldn't have said it better myself

I want a 4" phone. XZ compact line is dogshit with stupid bezels and iPhone SE is still overpriced

I like the sound of those bragging rights.

>Loved Pixel Launcher in AOSPExtended
>New phone doesn't have a build for it

Is Rootless Pixel Launcher worth trying?

what does Jow Forums think of the key2? i alreadyt have a keytone, and planning to get the key2 to replace my xz1c eventually.

Did you enjoy the key One?
Yes -> Get it
No -> Don't

I don't know what the Key One was like and if the Key two will be much different, but get what you like.

i liked the keyone, except for the fact you cant really use 3rd party keyboards like gboard, although i dont know if theyve been updated to handle the physical kbd yet

>buying xiaomi
>no please
You don't deserve good advice then. Go waste your money on flagships.

It's been three hours, give the man time.
You've overpaid for subpar at best battery life, curved edge gimmick with the added glare and added fragility thanks to that gimmick. Enjoy. :^)

Thanks, you two.
I have been looking around further and have stumbled upon the following:

> Moto G6 Plus
> Huawei Mate 10 Lite
> ASUS ZenFone Max Plus M1
> Huawei Honor 9

Any experience with these?

Moto G6 Plus is essentially the same phone as the X4 but it has a 18:9 screen
Mate 10 Lite I'm assuming has the Kirin 659, but you have to check about what features it has because fuck having phones without quick charge and Huawei only likes to put it on the flagships
the Max Plus isn't the Max Pro M1 and should be avoided due to the shitty Mediatek chip
Honor 9 has the Kirin 970 which is the current flagship chipset, a bit old but still very much relevant, and i think you might still be able to unlock the bootloader on this one

If you're willing to spend that much on a Honor 9, why not just get the Moto Z3 Play? It and the Battery Mod will put the total capacity of the phone to ~5000mAh and it has the SD 636 which blows away all your choices except the Honor 9 in performance, but destroys it in battery life

Dropping by just to say, getting the moto g6 was probably one of the best life decisions I've ever made
If you need a mid range phone that just werks, I highly recommend
Barebones android is best android, you don't need all that other fucking trash

Meh, coming from any phone that sported a SD 625 the G6 is a letdown when it comes to performance

What do you normally do?
I use it as a texting and Clover machine and that's it

I've had a 400 series octocore before and it's definitely noticeable when trying to load apps, webpages, load videos and other things
The 450 is essentially a down clocked 625, and the 625 is getting long in the tooth

I'm about to change my flex cable on the iPhone 6 out with a replacement part. I've already opened it up to check that the connections were in place and clean, A/B'd with stock photos, blew dust, did all I could as the replacement part's coming.

Any other advice? Inb4 getting a new phone, I'm broke and the replacement part is only 5 bucks. The Wifi/GPS antenna is another 5 I will try after if it doesn't work.

Good place to buy unlocked iphone SE?

Apple store is $350, so screw that.

on Amazon and Ebay its under 200$, but im seeing bad comments saying they send you scuffed locked phones.

Attached: iphone-se.jpg (3425x2920, 1.48M)

The no headphone jack is a nono for me.

>country
Italy
>advice
Buy Pixel 2 XL, wait for 3 XL or go with OP6?

I am also considering iPhone X or Note 8 ( short battery life?) .

Any gaming devices priced lower than 300 USD that won't leave me with buyer's remorse and a bad kdr?

Attached: lilmatt.jpg (207x243, 7K)

Are the recent nokia phones any good?

They are. Shame for the locked bootloaders.

How the fuck is it still only Samsung that offers a phone with an Active stylus digitizer.
For fucks sake Wacom AES and Ntrig can't be that hard to put on a phone, screw spending $1000 on a Note, but unfortunately that's the only choice.

I fucked up my plan's free phone and I want a note 8 but i couldnt afford it unless i credit it for 2 years.

Attached: 1526260670919.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

>iPhone SE is still overpriced
Where's that? The cheapest it's available here is 220€ which is actually pretty cheap considering it has mostly the same hardware as the iPhone 6S which they're still asking 500€ for.

Can anyone advise on a good upgrade to my Moto Z Play? The best option for me so far seems to be the Z3 Play, but I'd like to try something new. I'd prefer something with an SD Card slot and AMOLED display, as well as root or stockish Android available. Price isn't really an issue, but none of the expensive phones seem to have what I want.

>220€ is cheap for 3 (THREES) years old device
I wouldn't spend more than 100€ into a brand new one.

>but none of the expensive phones seem to have what I want.
That's the thing. Flagships have stopped being the uncompromising models years ago. If it's not the lack of a micro SD card slot, a 3.5mm jack, then it's a notch or a curved edge gimmick.
youtu.be/I36qvNvWBRY

It was released in 2016, not 2015

And my 2015 Galaxy s6 outperforms it in any way. Might as well buy brand new Galaxy S7 for 200€ if I would spend that much in a phone again.

I plan on buying a Xiaomi redmi note 5 off aliexpress. I'm a leaf so I checked willmyphonework.net to see if it would work on Fido (rogers I beleive) however willmyphonework.net lists a note 5A or note 5A Prime. So I'm confused, is the global redmi note 5 4gb ram 64gb a 5A Prime?

Either way it said it should work on 3g, 4g, and LTE (only some bands apparently)

Any leafs in AB using chinkfones?

>US
>AT&T
>100-250~$
>must have nice or decent camera, as good as a iPhoneSE or better.
>must. be. waterproof. (Work related).

Doesn’t have to run fucknight on it, but I would like for it to have decent speed for different vr projects.

Is there any alternative to the note? I want a stylus

There's the LG Stylo series, I think.

lg.com/us/stylo-series-mobile-phones

The Nokia 7 Plus is nice but it's not AMOLED, and the dealbreaker for me is locked bootloader. I need my root, man.

Best phone for 250 europeans?

You're wrong, Apple's A9 in the SE absolutely shits on the Exynos 7420 in S6.

>S7
Its Android update support ended in 2017, SE will get iOS updates until 2022.

Hey guys
Guys
What if, instead of stacked camera sensors we also get stacked displays

Why are there no small phones? The only recent ones I've seen are those Sony Something Compact ones. Is that really all there is? I can't stand those huge monstrosities. I have a Sony Xperia Ion now and even that is almost too big.

What are my options? Apart from size, my only other requirement is a "decent" camera, but I reckon all phones have one and the ability to easily root/flash stock firmware in case I fuck something up.

Does anyone have an recommendations? I am also open to buying 2nd hand.

Forgot to mention that I live in Europe.

>Removable back
What? Sorry, but you need to go back quite a few years for that. Get something cat or a Samsung active/Xcover phone.

I wasn't recommending it, I just linked a video.

>Removable back
What? Sorry, but you need to go back quite a few years for that. Get something cat or a Samsung active/Xcover phone.
>Micro usb
Really? REALLY?

is Nokia 7+ good?