Remind me again...

remind me again, why am I compiling an entire modern operating system on an obsolete laptop I bought from a recycling center on ebay?

Attached: Row0px7n[1].png (512x512, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because you enjoy memes

Attached: 1531117603729.jpg (405x540, 95K)

>another one

You aren't unless you choose to use a genkernel

Never understood Gentoo these days. It's clearly all about choice, yet everyone just installs Stage 3 instead of compiling stuff on their own. Isn't the point maximizing performance and stability for your hardware? Is running Gentoo just a bragging thing now?

Because everybody here implies "Gentoo is the best" so all the newfags who can't install shit and don't know what OS would be best for them (the point of linux) install it in EZ mode get a sub optimised system but feel like they're using "da best" system.

If you're a newfag who is installing linux and you want to learn more about linux start with arch. If you enjoyed learning as you installed and used your system. Then you'll probably enjoy Gentoo. If not don't bother, if you're using a script to install either of these OS you're missing the point of the advantage of them

>instead of compiling stuff on their own
which you can do at any time after you install

you can install stage2 or stage1 if you wish. Or use stage3 but start with recompiling everything.

gentoo makes Linux 10 times the pain in the ass as it needs to be, just install debian,

No thanks, I want my devices to actually work once I provide the nonfree firmware.
Even the nonfree iso has problems.

but arch has systemd

You either enjoy playing with computers or you fell for a meme.

> Isn't the point maximizing performance and stability for your hardware?
No, that is not the usual point.

The point is doing some of virtually any things you can do with sauce code.

Compile it with different dependencies, patches, a different lib or compiler, extended debug information, ...

that not ricing

Attached: bl.png (645x729, 77K)

>Compile it with different dependencies, patches, a different lib or compiler
>only one approach will work reliably
>in the future there will be patches incompatible with your ad-hoc fuckery that increased efficiency of some inner loop that gets used 5% of the time by 3.5% while reducing efficiency of other parts of program that get used 95% of the time by 2%
>you only wasted time and electricity

gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/
Gentoo never was all about "maximizing performance and stability for your hardware". This is yet another Jow Forums meme. The point of Gentoo is giving you the right tools to do that if you wish.

No, you are just making things work (better) for yourself.

Some of it isn't a good idea if you can't attempt to hack together some patches and have a chance of succeeding. Other things are easy.

He who enjoys memes should be careful, lest he thereby become a meme.

because you can control what you want to compile into the binaries you use.
but frankly, the biggest memory footprint comes from actual usage of a program, not from statically loading its binary into memory.

so just fucking use binary packages (yes gentoo has these too as well also)

are you saying to install gentoo?

he already installed gentoo, I was just telling him to stop compiling libreoffice on his ancient thinkpad and use pre-compiled packages instead

this. bloatware like firefox takes longer to compile than the rest of my system

Get Debian

Is it possible to install Gentoo from Stage 1 these days?

I said the EXACT same thing to myself when setting up Xorg on my T410's Gentoo installation. What a fucking waste of time.

It's fun configuring the kernel, but the immense time dump compiling everything makes no sense. Give me the binaries and fuck off, which I can do that with something like Arch.

Gentoo should never be taken seriously, it's a hobby... but also a fun game if you do -Ofast or -O3 and see how fast you can break it all.

Use Trisquel if you care about Stallman shit. Use Devuan if you want to stop the systemdniggers.

Attached: 1514232966689.gif (480x360, 1.33M)

try pulling in something like dolphin, firefox takes 20 minutes to compile for me, dolphin was over 1 hour with all the kde/qt deps

>It's clearly all about choice
Yes, and many CHOOSE to have Stage 3 already taken care of. If you have ever tried to install Linux From Scratch (LFS) then you understand why many choose the advantageous Stage 3. You still get all the advantages of native-compiled software without the hassle of having to compile your own toolchain.

Firefox is an easy compile, but Chromium... haha forget about it.

>use stage 3 to complete your installation
>recompile the system and world sets afterwards
>you now have everything compiled for your machine without the trouble of installing from stage 1 or 2
Wew, that was hard.

so that people on the internet will stop calling you a normie

cause you don't know how to use distcc/cross-compile

because you failed life