Thoughts on ultrawide monitors?

Thoughts on ultrawide monitors?
Are they just a gimmick? Can we come to a resolution?

Attached: file.png (1500x844, 1.98M)

>Are they just a gimmick
maybe
>Can we come to a resolution?
kys!

This man is a true genius and the most valuable Google engineer. He's like a God at Google and not even the CEO would go against him. He literally made Google what it is today and wrote/worked-on all of their most important software stacks. He's worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Now, notice something interesting:

He doesn't have two, three or four monitors and he doesn't have some gigantic TV screen that kills your focus and distracts him from everything important.

He's not distracted by having a phone out on his desk, because he doesn't use such technology as a lifeline like consumerist millennial do who'd literally die without their phone.

He doesn't have some bullshit meme mech keyboard with some special switches that were forged by elves in Japan from katana-grade steel and lights that emit perfect sRGB colors.

He doesn't have some tricked out text editor with million different features and colors.

He doesn't run some super-autistic Linux distro like Arch that demands you babysit it all the time.

He doesn't have some DE with customized CSS US that you usually see in tons of threads on here.

He didn't even change the default theme, colors or the default background.

He can afford all that shit, yet he doesn't waste his time on it. Instead, he writes 100x more lines of code than you and is 1,000,000x more accomplished than you'll ever be. And he's infinitely smarter than you'll ever be.

So quit falling for fucking memes and quit craving all the latest bullshit that gets posted on here in these cancerous consumerist "generals" threads. Mark my words, and this is coming from a professional: there's nothing more pathetic than consumers who think having ultrawide setups makes them productive.

Attached: 1531408080528.jpg (1200x801, 208K)

>X doesn't do Y
>X is Z
>which implies If you don't do Y you'll be Z
I agree with you on the ultrawide monitors but it's a personal preference . Whatever makes you more productive

That one monitor he has in front of him is probably worth more than most people's three 1080p monitor setups though

You're better off with 4k imo

>ultrawide

The name itself is a gimmick, considering their origins as further shortened standard resolutions sold for marked-up prices.

> 2560x1600 -> 2560x1440 -> 2560x1080 - 2560x???

For example, if the 5k (5120x2880) "wider" variant was ~6800x2880 instead of 5120x2160, I would have actually considered it truly wide and not just short.
The whole thing is literally a gook marketing scam to sell people smaller panels with fewer pixel for more money because people associate ~2.35:1 with Hollywood films and premium/luxury experiences.

Show me his home setup. Oh wait, you were talking about a rig for work? You need a job for that in the first place, haha!

I have tried it all. I'm obsessed with the perfect gaming and work monitor.

The best thing so far is my 32" ips 4k
Sadly it's only 60hz. So I'm waiting on 4k 32" 144hz.

32" 4k is perfect dpi and scaling.
27 makes everything too small when running 100% scaling.

It is nice that most movies will fill the entire screen. It actually looks pretty nice. The extra space is also pretty nice for content creation, in my case DAW software. Gaming is hit or miss.

>(5120x2880)
That's 15k, not 5k.

Put it in portrait mode, and add a proper 1440p landscape monitor next to it, and it will stop being a gimmick.

This.

He does have what seems to be a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor which really helps though

Not a gimmick in my experience. Completely stopped using my second monitor after i got an ultrawide. It's pretty much dual 5:4 monitors side by side.

27" QHD is nice too if you have a tight budget. I have a vertical 22" 1080 (standard company issue) on the side for reading / output. Damn work laptop only does 2 monitors. I might have to buy a 1200x1920, 1080 is too narrow vertical.

At that width non curved monitors are awkward. Then when you look at the price vs vertical resolution it's horrible. Only good idea if it's for home and gaming.

5k refers to the horizontal resolution

I don't see the point, I keep seeing 2560x1080 ultrawides for similar money to 2560x1440 displays, why would you pay an almost equal amount for less pixels?

fucking hate it
we have only this at work and the normies like it
>MUH FACEBOOK SCREEN
but its actually pretty bad I prefer 4:3 or just a normal 19:6

To get rid of the kinobars.

I have a 34" one and I love it

Getting read of letterboxes in films isn't worth having a pillarbox in everything else

*rid

That's why you get two monitors, each with different aspect ratio.

>I keep seeing 2560x1080 ultrawides for similar money to 2560x1440
But that's wrong. At least when i bought mine 29" lg in 2016, it was almost 2 times cheaper than a cheapest 1440p 75hz ips monitor with a freesync.

34" IPS 1080p UW: $300
27" IPS 1440p non-UW: $350-400

It just depends on what your use case is. If you want low end gaming with a GTX1060 or something then the UW is better. For production purposes and/or a high end GPU the 1440p is better.

15k/16k is where bullshit marketing resolution terminology will get its real test.

"4k" UHD = 3840x2160, "8k" UHD = 7680x4320, """16k"""??? = 15360x8640

XHD

>curved
gimmick
>ultrawide
gimmick. a 35" ultrawide has the same height as a 27" lol and theres so little support for ultrawide, not worth the money

a meme for sure

I have 27 qhd ips for gayms. Not that great for working when you have hundreds of open windows and programs. 4k 32" if ou have never tried it is perfect. Just need higher refresh rate.

I have the same one and the clit to adjust the settings fell off. What do?

Attached: 1527360313294.png (629x643, 270K)

I have a lg29 and it's decent colour wise but for gaming and movies the black to white ghosting is so bad I'm never going with ips again
Be warned it's extremely bad anons

>Instead, he writes 100x more lines of code than you

oh okay so he's a code monkey, got it.

weird PPI.

What monitor is he using? Some sort of old NEC flat screen monitor?

Isn't that an MX518 Logitech mouse?

>gimmick. a 35" ultrawide has the same height as a 27" lol

I hope you realize how dumb you should feel right now. They are called ultra_wide_, not ultra_tall_. There purpose is to be wider, not taller. It's really not a hard concept.

If you buy a monitor based off the diagonal length you should feel retarded.

I'd rather run multiple screens, not all things play nice with the many different odd resolutions they can't seem to agree upon.

My desk is only large enough for 3*24s anyway.

They are a niche.

They are filling the gap between 1080p and 4K monitors

Just like before 1080p became mainstream there were tons of monitors will all sorts of resolutions, after 1080p everything from 15 to 27 inch monitors became 1080p for better or worse.

As 4K (and possibly other high PPI resolutions) take a larger foot hold , ultra wides will shrink more and more

I prefer a more modular approach with two high-resolution monitors. I can toggle them on and off as needed, but the space is usually wasted.

I don't like them. Most videos aren't in a 21:9 aspect ratio, not all games support it properly either. The only real advantage I see is the increased workspace compared to a 16:9 monitor of the same height, but more workspace can be easily added with multiple monitors. I'd rather have multiple screens in more widely standard aspect ratios than an ultrawide.

So, it's a copypasta at this point

Ultrawide 21:9 is not a gimmick. The Acer X34 is easily my best computer related purchase i made.

He writes infinitely more lines of code than you specifically

i have the monitor in the pic you posted. i liked it while i was using it but ultimately went back to a 1920x1080 because i did more gaming. if you need the real estate for windows for references then it is a better investment, but not all games support ultrawide and i don't care to bother with not using 1080 if i don't have to.

Purest of logic

lol

Post the model and if you have any issue with backlight bleeding, please. I've been comparing all the lg 29" monitors and I can't come to a decision. I just want 75hz so I can watch anime.