How is no one talking about this?

>Advocated by the FSF
>Actually non shit CPU that can run games
>No backdoors

Wtf whats the catch? How do you not hear about freedom respecting hardware thats actually not shit, why is Intel & Amd so popular and not this guy?

Attached: madman.png (1924x450, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

secure.raptorcs.com/content/TL1MB1/purchase.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also just to confirm, IBM's power family of CPU's don't have backdoors right? I mean I haven't had any solid proof, but given the FSF supports Raptor I assume so...

bump

I too would like this to succeed. However I currently don't have >5000€ to spare.
It's probably because:
1. due to the processor, no proprietary games will run on it
2. it's not only games, practically no non-free software (with a few exceptions) will run on this. Many people would like to dual-boot windows.
3. it might be a bit expensive for the general public

>due to the processor, no proprietary games will run on it
>it's not only games, practically no non-free software (with a few exceptions) will run on this. Many people would like to dual-boot windows.

Wait really? Why is this the case? I don't see how this makes sense, how can the process know whether your installing windows or installing entirely free GNU/Linux, if say you're running a completely freedom respecting GNU/Linux distro to begin with an a proprietary game is offered in GNU/Linux then the processor should be able to carry out the GNU/Linux elf format standardized binary executable, someone care to explain? How can it magically know which executables are proprietary or not

Because it's Power9 which uses the Power ISA, not x86 ISA.

You could probably emulate a windows VM, but it wont be ideal.

Windows natively supports IA-32. X86-64, and ARM64, it has no native support for the Power architecture.

What is the cpu ideally made for running on, GNU/Linux systems? If so, at the very least couldn't you use wine to run (most) games?

I see thanks, since the Power ISA is from IBM, is this type of CPU not meant for consumer household use? Rather scientific computation and such....?

because i can't justify the 5k price tag when all my current shit just works and I literally just had to buy a new automobile.

>Rather scientific computation and such....?
Yup, it's meant for servers, databases, etc.

Power9 is great for multi-threading huge workloads thanks to SMT4 and SMT8.

Pretty much useless for the average consumer since it wont run most consumer software.

>What is the cpu ideally made for running on
>POWER9 is supported by IBM AIX, IBM i, and Linux (both running with and without PowerVM).

>Implementation of POWER9 support in the Linux kernel began with version 4.6 in March 2016.

>RHEL, SUSE, and Debian GNU/Linux are supported as of November 2017.

nothing. ppc64le or even big endian mode doesn't have the same level of highly optimized assembly like other popular isa's like x86. also if you run it in big endian mode, some shitty C code might not even work.

About the only game that runs on Power9 is Unreal engine 4. And thats just because it was made to run on pretty much anything.

>is this type of CPU not meant for consumer household use?
if you plug it into your household socket, it would probably explode

name 10 3d well known games for it that arent editors or demos

>selling a mobo with any SATA ports
wtf were they thinking
all of my hype for this is gone

Attached: boardlarge.png (1500x1000, 1.04M)

Because they expect you to be running an actual workstation which will be using SAS drives anyway.

From the site
>8 hot-swap SAS/SATA drive bays (functionality requires SAS controller)
>3 PCIe 4.0 x16 slots
>2 PCIe 4.0 x8 slots
>2 Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet ports
>1 Microsemi SAS 3.0 controller (optional, upcharge on selection)
>4 USB 3.0 ports 2 external 2 on internal header
>1 USB 2.0 port

there is no actual option to add the controller
they also reserve the right to cancel any orders with the SAS controller option

It's still retarded to sell a mobo without any storage options

PCI-E exists for a reason

>there is no actual option to add the controller
Huh?

Attached: SmartSelect_20180715-115101_Samsung Internet.jpg (1278x1394, 528K)

you are only given options for the Talos II Lite if you purchase their case and power supply.

Huh?
Explain what the fuck you're talking about the SAS controller is available across the board

Attached: SmartSelect_20180715-120350_Samsung Internet.jpg (1246x1393, 495K)

secure.raptorcs.com/content/TL1MB1/purchase.html

No shit, stop being retard