Jow Forums doesn't know how a computer actually works

I bet that not a single person on Jow Forums actually knows what fuck is going on a mobo (can you tell me what those transistors and capacitors do. Or what exactly a CPU does when you run a promgram and how it adresses memory.

Attached: images(5).jpg (259x194, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/X86_Assembly/X86_Instructions
software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-sdm#combined
developer.amd.com/resources/developer-guides-manuals/#amd64_architecture
youtube.com/watch?v=xrJ3GRWjdNg
youtube.com/watch?v=3TLg3MAHWCg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tell me why I should give a fuck. Plug thing in, thing do work

I've built two computers myself, based on the Z80 and M68k. Wrote the monitor myself too.

I know just the abstract concepts of how CPUs work. I'm interested in messing around with an old CPU and writing assembly for it. And I'm way behind a lot of people on this board. Anyways OP, what's the point of this thread?

>what's the point of this thread?
a retarded underage macfaggot who wants us to write his homework

It's a massively integrated system with a lot of parts all of which do very little individually. I can collectively say nearly all transistors in a PC are being operated in saturation rather than their linear region as they are used for switching. Clusters of those transistors will be arranged to form logic gates and memory. In addition you'll have others that will be used as buffers, line drivers, etc.

Caps have a million purposes in a PC. Most are decoupling, there are probably a few for timing, I think DRAM is capacitor based.

In either case you're being an elitist faggot.

More like an immature autist trying to show off how smart (brainlet) he is. 1st semester physics major probably.

There's a clock inside that goes tick-tock and on every tock the logic advances one step.

neat
any recourses for learning this?

I don’t know how my urinary system works, can still take a piss.

best analogy kek

you're such a massive faggot and mods should ban you

Does it run Crisis ?

sir I tip my fedora to your impeccable intelligence

*tips fedora*

>I don't need to know how it works, it just needs to work mentality.
Can you even get anymore brainlet?

Attached: images.png (194x259, 3K)

>Can you even get anymore brainlet?
i have way better brainlet images in my folder

So you must know how every single device you use in your day to day life works in enough detail to actually be able to do something useful with it like repair it if it breaks, right?

Surely you aren't a hypocrite?

They are current controlled voltage amplifiers

>1st semester physics major probably.
i don't think he's capable of going to uni
he's just regurgitating shit he saw on youtube

I studied electrical engineering

To REALLY understand everything about modern digital electronics not even getting an EE degree is enough. People literally research building block circuits for years.

Even if you could know everything, it would be pointless. You design electronics by thinking in terms of logical building blocks and than finding building blocks with the correct specs. It's unsatisfying but deal with it.

>digital electronics
ez pz

>RF and millimeter wave
>casually defies all notions of low frequency electronics

Attached: 83732b-filter-3.jpg (3000x1689, 3.23M)

A CPU is just billions of logic gates. The basic computer architecture has a system bus and on it is the control bus, data bus and address bus. When you give your computer an instruction it's sent along the control bus to the CPU, which decodes it and then uses the other two buses to perform the operation if necessary.

For instance let's say you want to add two numbers both stored in memory at say addressed 0 and 1 and store the result to address 0. You'd first send an instruction to read address 0 and commit it to a register. You'd then send a command to add the value of address 1 to your register. Finally you'd store that register to memory address 0.

This is a really basic generalization and mainly applies to older CPUs. Newer CPUs are far more complex; they've got built in memory caches, predictive branching, and more. In some ways newer CPUs are actually older computers packaged into a single die.

>he does not play around with old computers

Are you saying Chinese/Tawain chinks know better then we do at this?

>For instance let's say you want to add two numbers both stored in memory at say addressed 0 and 1 and store the result to address 0. You'd first send an instruction to read address 0 and commit it to a register. You'd then send a command to add the value of address 1 to your register. Finally you'd store that register to memory address 0.

That is pajeet level computer science 101 and not even remotely close to how a modern or even legacy micro processor works.

Attached: 3UjYomT_d.jpg (112x125, 3K)

That's literally how a 6502 works.

Attached: 6502 die.png (944x900, 1.15M)

Lots of transistors, logic gates, adders amd such. Too much going on to be understood.

Only too much to be understood by one person. The teams of engineers that design and test this stuff would all have different tasks and different parts of the whole to design, in the case of a CPU each discrete functional circuit block on the die. Each group only needs to understand one section and how that section needs to interface with external circuitry and that makes it simpler to understand.

Veterans of the industry with decades of experience probably have a decent working knowledge of the whole and could get into more technical detail of various different parts but that knowledge isn't gained through study or school. It's really only something you get from working in that particular field of engineering for a long time and doing a lot of design work.

Part of what a modern CPU or mobo does was originally done by a big room filled with cabinets crammed full with electronics. Explaining it would take too long.

Yeah I can tell a buck converter when I see one. For everything else, I have my PCI POST card.
This is all the knowledge you need as a non-professional - to diagnose broken shit.
Jelly, retard?

Neither do you with that blurry stock image. No one really knows how a modern CPU works anyways without the schematics. They're so complex that they can hardly be reverse engineered by massive companies like Samsung or Qualcomm or AMD or Intel who wants to see the guts of competing CPUs. This is why RISC-V exists.

The average programmer doesn't even need to know how the hardware handles memory unless they're using assembly. At most they need to know how the kernel allocates and manages memory, and this mostly at the compiler level or for low level languages. I can easily slap together basic C programs and not worry about that shit. Other software abstracts it for me.

Fuck off, wannabe haxx0r 12 year old.

Attached: 1526078534530.gif (500x493, 631K)

This. A man has to know his limitations (and his place).

ur a dumbass, that's no buck converter, it's a bank of sallen-key bandpass filters

No, it's literally a buck converter. Have you ever done basic electronics?

>transistors
BJTs, MOSFETs, or JFETs user?
Do you understand the electrical differences between analog and digital amplifiers? How about the chemical process behind how silicon gets doped towards a particular charge bias, given a boundary condition to the Poisson equation allowing for NPN and PNP transistors to be understood on your brainlet level? And if you understand all of those things, then what about electron vs electron hole transport within a doped semiconductor? can you explain that quantum mechanical charge flow?

Do you even understand how a computer works? jeez OP you're stupid.

You're a retard. You see all those op-amps? It's filters. I can tell from the resistors. Look they even got pots on the front panel so you can change the filter characteristic. lrn2smallsignal electronics fag.

Ok wiseguy open up ms paint and do your thing.

Attached: IMG_20180715_204327.jpg (2448x3264, 3.29M)

Are you not actually memeing cause I am. OPs board obviously has no filters though it doesn't appear to have any VRMs either, at least not visible, so no buck converters since it looks like a DIY job. It's so low res I can't make out the details though. I thought you were saying the whole thing was a buck converter which is just pants on head retarded.

xaxa))))) TPO/\O/\O/\O/\O
i got owwwwwnd

Low quality bait not even worth an image upload

About half the instruction decoder on a 6502 is undefined which led to the notorious "illegal" opcodes. Newer CMOS 65C02s produced by WDC do not have illegal opcodes, nor did the NES's 2A01.

the more i learn the more i realize just how little i actually do or in fact can ever know
*krk* *kssshhh*
*sippppppp*

Attached: 1515635524648.jpg (304x237, 33K)

How the fuck would I fucking know how a motherboard works the fuckers don't release schematics for us to see how!

Attached: FocusedRadiantAardwolf-max-1mb.gif (240x176, 416K)

Unless you like to program with a voltmeter and oscilliscope at your desk, you're programming against nothing but abstractions on top of abstractions on top of abstractions. Is there value for you in hiding the detail that you are in fact manipulating not bits but in fact voltages? Does doing so sacrifice transparency? Is that transparency valuable?

A 6502 has 3500 transistors in all. The schematic for it was laid out on paper.

Compared with modern hardware, an 8-bit computer is so simple you can understand the entire thing easily.

Attached: IMG_0890.jpg (1600x1200, 626K)

Steve Wozniak designed the Apple II by himself; the entire board layout and everything. But try doing that today.

What is white man's limitation?!

It's all simple logic pretending to be complicated. I'm not going to explain something that doesn't actually need much explaining.

Where do you think you are? This is a technology board, this isn't /sci/ you fucking brainlet.

I bet you don't know how a toilet works.

what a dipshit
>everyone knows it's magic

A car driver doesn't need to be a mechanic, a software engineer doesn't need to understand the manufacturing process of a motherboard

>OP doesn't know how a toilet works
>OP shits in the street

>I bet not a single person on Jow Forums
>is on Jow Forums

Congrats! This was the highlight of your day.

>Tell me what those transistors and capacitors do. Or exactly a CPU does when you run a promgram and how it adresses memory

I think the amount of grammatical errors and you implying even normies dont understand day 1 cs class material shows you are baiting or actually a retard. Or likely an underage "family tech kid" that cant wait to become 14 and take his first computer science class in high school.

I don't know user, studying every design and physical aspect of a computer is actually a whole career

Attached: th.jpg (474x621, 60K)

Dick size

Attached: 1531331566199.jpg (800x450, 84K)

>can you tell me what those transistors and capacitors do

MBs have 4 to 6+ layers. Nobody is reverse engineering it.

>how it adresses memory.

"dear live/g/ournal, today i learned about virtual memory"

Out of all of Tanenbaum's books, I never see anyone recommend that.

>can you tell me what those transistors and capacitors do
Capacitors keep energy in form of electric field.
They try to keep voltage the same
>transistors
They do switching. Like a relay, but without moving parts.
>Or what exactly a CPU does when you run a promgram and how it adresses memory.
More difficult. Read
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/X86_Assembly/X86_Instructions
software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-sdm#combined
developer.amd.com/resources/developer-guides-manuals/#amd64_architecture

Anyway, what did you wanted to say? I did some repairs...

CPUs are just a big collection of logic gates. DRAM consists of a huge grid of cells made of a transistor/capacitor pair. SRAM is a grid of flip-flops.

Attached: ppp.jpg (399x385, 37K)

I recognize that computer.
youtube.com/watch?v=xrJ3GRWjdNg
Playing Atari ST music (at 3:06): youtube.com/watch?v=3TLg3MAHWCg

>any recourses for learning this?
NAND2TETRIS

>Caps have a million purposes in a PC. Most are decoupling, there are probably a few for timing
There are different types of caps for different purposes as well.

transistors respond to signals, so you basically have 3 gates on them (I forget what theyre called lel) and you take one and use it as the ground (negative) for both of the other two. One other them you try to put electricity through you want to control. The other one, you put in electricity based on how you want to control the other electricity. What this means is you can construct logic gates, that say "If transistor A, AND transistor B are on, turn on" and use those to construct..logic.

Capacitors are used to smooth out signals, basically if you graphed the electricity the voltage and current exactly would be maybe going up and down a bit randomly, capacitor can help to smooth that out. Also it can be used to store electricity like a mini battery if needed.

CPUs use logic gates to construct higher order logic circuits, these circuits are designed to construct the x86 architecture in many cases which can handles the x86 assembly language. That is used to address memory and stuff

DRAM is basically a giant grid of cells containing each a capacitor and a transistor, which stores a single bit. The capacitors are refreshed by accessing the RAS and CAS lines.