Any point getting into Embedded Systems ?

Just finished my CS bachelor, they offered me to continue with a CS Masters specializing in Embedded Systems. I don't know shit about these (I've done only basic Webdev stuff at my previous internship), but it's an apprenticeship type of deal. I might learn on the job. Worth it ?

Attached: Intro-to-microcontrollers.jpg (300x142, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

users.ece.utexas.edu/~valvano/Volume1/
deepbluembedded.com/embedded-systems-tutorials/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I do think learning about embedded systems and lower level languages will provide a fantastic foundation for many years to come in computing.

Bump same question

Bump same question

>getting your postgraduate and graduate degree at the same university.

Talk about grooming you. shit man.

What can I say, my ass is just that sweet.
(No seriously, is that a bad thing ? They don't seem so bad.)

>apprenticeship

Take it. There's a good chance it'll land you a job. Way better than dealing with BS HR interviews to become a webdev monkey.

literally anybody you ever talk to will say not to do this

>embedded systems
It's worth getting into if you want, really stable, methodical work. Just stay the hell away from Internet of Shit. Don't expect massive dosh either, but the money is good if you stick around. Since the requirements of successful embedded work is anathema to cowboy managers and agile-tards, you will have a good work environment.

Attached: 1428867246312.jpg (357x542, 64K)

not op, but why is it such a bad idea?

You're right, that's a huge bonus to consider.

Why so ?

Sounds comfy, actually. Do you think that a jump towards robotics is at all possible after a couple years of experience ?

This guy knows. Experience is invaluable etc.

Too add to my previous post at I graduated from CE in 2008. My class was small, but everyone ended up in networking/webdev afterwards. I spent the next few years after school doing factory/warehousing to pay the bills because I couldn't get past HR and fucking hate everything web.

If they're willing to give you a job or even a chance at a job that you're slightly interested in
than fucking take it. Nobody says you have to do it forever.

>I couldn't get past HR
*I didn't do any internships or side projects
ftfy

>Since the requirements of successful embedded work is anathema to cowboy managers and agile-tards, you will have a good work environment.
What does that mean?

Attached: dogboh.jpg (600x566, 52K)

My program didn't offer any internships. I did do a robotics side project and had my own home programming stuff. I just look and sound like your typical Jow Forums stereotype, overweight with zero social skills. It was also the summer of 2008, not a good time for anybody.

It means you won't be dealing with memetech, buzzwords, people who change their minds more than their underwear, or worst of all, salespeople masquerading as management.

Attached: 1384148121200.jpg (494x622, 174K)

>wanted a job
>shotgun approach
>replied to several ads in my area, one of them was embedded for a big local company
>wtf phone call the same day
>fuck job interview tomorrow
>didn't have embedded in uni, know C well and C++ okishly, did toy OS nothing big (processes and virtuals memory, interrupts, some serial I/O)
>doing CS:APPe3 book and the 15-213 course currently, feel confident to talk about covered topics
what chances do I have?

Eh.
I've done my fair share in academia, and while yes, moving around between universities looks good on your CV, it's better to stay in a good research group rather than hopping to a bad one just for the sake of changing places.

It's not a big deal if you're at a good place.

2018 CE grad. Most of my work was related embedded systems. Landed a job in aerospace. Embedded is looking better than any other fields.

glassdoor.com

>not op, but why is it such a bad idea?
>Why so ?

Not him, but everyone avoids this. People doing their BS and MS from the same institution is regarded as a big red flag. Someone who does well at different institutions is more attractive than someone who stays in the same place.

You’re fucking retarded. Shut your lying ass up faggot.

You're probably fine. Embedded is just being able to write low level code and reading hardware specification documents

why? i see "what" in your post, not why

>I do think learning about embedded systems and lower level languages will provide a fantastic foundation for many years to come in computing.
Actually it is worth it on it's own, not as a 'foundation' for something else.

Sounds like a nice and normal place to work for.
Anyway, I'm currently doing my CE degree, what will be a good read/exercises to get me familiar at embedded systems?
I still have time till I will be able to choose my classifying branches courses...

Attached: James-May-Avatar.png (436x524, 555K)

University of Texas's Embedded Systems courses => users.ece.utexas.edu/~valvano/Volume1/

DeepBlue embedded, with plenty of tutorials => deepbluembedded.com/embedded-systems-tutorials/

Cheers!

>performed shitty at his last institution
>has to switch to an 'easier' one

Attached: the_fox_and_the_grapes.jpg (619x1290, 162K)

Embedded and electronics is the worst branch out there. Its boring as fuck and pay is low.
Webdev is the way to go.
Embedded, electronics and automation are pajeet tier jobs.