/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

>Read

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Programming questions?
>Smartphone purchasing advice?
>Windows questions?
Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7
pastebin.com/1PcnaQS5

Old thread

Attached: 1502703205754.jpg (1800x1500, 215K)

Other urls found in this thread:

greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7751-oneechan
blinq.com/detail/electronics/laptops-tablets/pc-laptops-netbooks/lenovo-ideapad-110s-11-6-laptop-2gb-32gb-emmc-windows-10-white/1309099?condition=used-very-good&mrkgcl=860&mrkgadid=3273541590&product_id=1309099_5411009&adpos=1o4&creative=248658274691&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_Cwx6Ki3AIVCAVpCh0w0gHSEAQYBCABEgJd3vD_BwE
my.mixtape.moe/orlgcn.webm
stackoverflow.com/questions/348392/receive-and-send-emails-in-python
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reposting from last thread:

Is this version of OneeChan legit or is it some dodgy version?
I can't find it elsewhere after they deleted their GitHub account.
greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7751-oneechan

Attached: pcman.jpg (600x400, 68K)

I wanted to setup an offline host windows machine with an online Linux guest and wast told to just give the windows host a static IP with a useless or no default gateway and then the VM set it to use the nic and receive DHCP to get valid IP details.

I was able to do the first part but was unable (since Idk how) to get the VM to actually be online.
I'm using virtualbox and would appreciate all the help. (it's all running on a laptop and I'm using the internal wifi card)

update: some dude from reddit told me how to do do this through VMware and not virtual box so maybe that helps?
'''So in VMware workstation you need to go into your vm settings, and network and set it to be bridged networking. There are different options such as internet sharing (not what you want as the host has no internet). This will mean the vm goes out onto the network and get its network settings from the DHCP server/router.

edit: for this to work you will need to have your host on the network, eg cable plugged in or connected to your wifi'''

Trying to git gud at video compression.
What's it called when a video's quality drops to extremely low for a couple of frames? You can see it here at 0:12, 0:19 and 0:25. What's happening there?

And in general: The videos I'm trying to compress are fixed camera top-downs where 95% of the screen is always the same as the last frame. I get the feeling that most codecs are more optimized for real-life videos with more motion and where blurring edges is OK.
How wrong am I? Can I use codecs better suited for what I'm doing?

Attached: blobtest.webm (720x404, 1.64M)

Bitstarved?

>core that close to space

Easy emitters+generator disconnected platform setup.

If the bleb gets big enough that it actually gets to space in that case you already lost

i want to fug gardevoir

Someone in my area is selling an Ideapad 110s for $40.
What do you guys think, would it be worth it as a second laptop or have something small for dicking around?
blinq.com/detail/electronics/laptops-tablets/pc-laptops-netbooks/lenovo-ideapad-110s-11-6-laptop-2gb-32gb-emmc-windows-10-white/1309099?condition=used-very-good&mrkgcl=860&mrkgadid=3273541590&product_id=1309099_5411009&adpos=1o4&creative=248658274691&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_Cwx6Ki3AIVCAVpCh0w0gHSEAQYBCABEgJd3vD_BwE

Why do Steepto ads sometimes load when refreshing a thread/catalog? Bypassing all my shit.

I know CPU and RAM overclocks are supposed to stay running, but do you keep GPU overclocks running at all times too?

Attached: 1509140591702.png (755x733, 557K)

So is Jow Forums pronounced like technoloJy or like technoloGeek?

would pi-hole block windows 10 telemetry botnet? if so pls post or point me to a list of domains windows connects to

techloligy

My cat just jumped up on the table and landed right on my fucking external hard drive. Is there anything I can do to make sure this shit isn't fucked now? I don't have a drive large enough to hold all the files on this thing.

So it's like gifs, huh.

Run a program to check disk sectors. Retard you are for putting it where the cat planned on jumping

>Retard you are for putting it where the cat planned on jumping
I'm sure he could read the cat's mind

Attached: 1508440518133.jpg (236x354, 16K)

Not to mention cats know exactly what you're doing and know exactly how to fuck you up in that moment too.

Gee im sure its so hard to predict what a cat will do, just move it out of clear vicinity of where its likely to jump

Why can't my PC open fucking .bat files? I'll double click on the file and windows will say it can't find it at the same fucking path I am clicking on the fucking file from. The fuck is this shit?

Attached: 1530933808057.jpg (600x785, 210K)

Of course I would move it out of the way. The cat jumped up on it anyway.

But you didnt. Its not the cats fault

anybody know any good free pokemon hentai games?

pokemon brap

Well, what's done is done. Any sector scanning software you would recommend?

not a fan of the name

What's the average electrical output of a smartphones micro usb plug? I'm assuming it's 1.5v and 1200ma is that correct?

I think those are iframes but I could be wrong

In "Head First Python" the text describes dictionaries as being unordered; but the interpreter spits out my dictionary in the exact same order as when I entered it. Why is this?

I'm using Python 3.6.5

Just how fat is your cat? It should be fine.

I want to buy a laptop with
>Intel Celeron N3350
>Intel HD Graphics 500
>4GB DDR3L
>500GB HDD
Will I be able to run
>PPSSPP at least at 30FPS
>720p animu in a player without stuttering
>Yume 2kki
on it?
And is there a better alternative for about $250? I'm poor.

Sometimes when I use Chrome (or any browser for that matter) and I open a link in a new tab, it just stays there loading forever until I click on the tab. Also, sometimes when I switch to a tab I had open earlier the page reloads as if it wasn't stored in memory.
I'm wondering if this is a HDD (going bad) issue or a RAM issue? This usually happens when I only have like 5 tabs open max, gets worse with more tabs open. Speccy attached.

Forgot image fml

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (642x428, 24K)

To be blunt, your hardware is crap and is probably struggling, not to mention the additional ~20% RAM usage of Chrome after they implemented Spectre attack mitigation alst version.

PPSSPP might struggle with that cpu
animus will be fine
don't know about yume 2kki

Emulators don't work this way, or you get full speed or you don't.
Your goal is to get 60 VBL/s, and the frame rate of the game is a derivate of this.
As in, if it's a 30 fps game, it will use two VBLs per frame, if the game is 20 fps, it will use 3 VBLs and so forth.

But it is entirely possible that a slow CPU can get some games to reach 60 VBL/s but not all of em, as a game might not use the whole time of a VBL.

Please help, I'm fucking desperate here.

Damn, was hoping it's something that could be fixed. Worst part is this absolutely every Linux distro I try doesn't work well on this hardware for some reason.

What's in the bat file tho? Right click > Edit

Well shit, meant to quote

All I can suggest is basic performance improvement stuff like disabling Aero, disabling as much at startup and lowering resolution, but the bottleneck is still with your hardware. 3GB of RAM is just not really enough for Chrome anymore at all.

It's a texture replacer for a game. Now I can run it as admin but it fucks up and doesn't do most of what it's meant to, because it can't find things and '/b is not recognized as a command'. I'm guessing my environment variables are fucked but they look fine based on my research.

It sounds like an environment problem but I don't know why you'd go around running random bat scripts as admin.

Alright, thanks.

How the fuck do I open this little bracket holding the gpu in?

Attached: 20180715_223015.jpg (1440x1440, 781K)

I'd honestly reccomend just saving up for a little longer, those are bottom of the barrel components and you could run into issues in the near future like this guy .

Because it's most likely trustworthy, just trying to figure out this weird problem.

>most likely trustworthy
At least have a look over it user.

An additional picture from above this time. What is that black bracket even for? The pc is a small form factor dell optiplex 9010 btw.

forgot pic woops

Attached: 20180715_223029.jpg (1440x1440, 622K)

>DELL
I'm guessing its a pre-built? Its probably by design.

From this angle, pull it up and pull toward you. It pivots towards you.

How hard it would be to set up a simple script to receive an email from someone with an address, cost, labor hours, etc all in one line, and input that data automatically into a master spreadsheet type thing when it comes in? Recommended approach for this? Like I could set up a script directly on the domain the email is going to, or forward it to a device in my home first and process it there, or... Idk what would be cheaper, the server for the company site used nearlyfreespeech so I don't want to waste too many resources since it'll cost more to hosting

I have a very broken laptop on my hands. Would I be able to simply extract the HDD and plug it into another laptop / desktop and run it as normal? OS is Windows LTSB. As in just booting it like normal, Desktop items the same and whatnot.

I remember with my Thinkpad that broke I just stuck the RAM and HDD into another Thinkpad and ran it as normal, but I may be remembering that incorrectly.

Pls respond.

Hey thanks you were right. I had to pull so hard, just when i thought it might break, it opened. now to intall my free-box-of-shit wifi adapter and hope that it only needs connection to pcie and not from psu.

Are there any recipes that actually come out better in the microwave than with traditional cooking methods?

Thinking of getting the roccat leadr to replace my old G700, good plan?

Question about fdroid
Why are a lot of apps grayed out, like for example Tachiyomi? I am guessing they are just not on their repositories but than why does it show on the list?

This has been bugging me so much

Anyone else here run a Linux guest in a Windows host with a nVidia card with Virtualbox? It seems when I turn off 3D acceleration performance drops substantially. glxgears goes from 1600fps down to 70fps and is noticeably laggy. What the fuck?

>It seems when I turn off 3D acceleration performance drops substantially.
Turn on*

Would you go flat for curved for a 27" screen?
27" Agon G-Sync monitor is pretty cheap

Attached: P1090024-1620x1080.jpg (1620x1080, 112K)

'How hard' a task is is quite relative to your skills and knowledge. But based on how you asked the question I am going to guess it would be pretty hard for you.
>How hard it would be to set up a simple script to receivean email from someone with an address, cost, labor hours, etc all in one line
Let's start with that. Is this one line of data in some well-structured format like JSON/XML/CSV/etc.?

It depends on a lot of things, but it is certainly possible to a degree (desktop items and shit might change because windows is going to freak out for a while about every aspect of the hardware changing). I have done this successfully. Anyways it is pretty low-risk, just try it.

What's the biggest barrier when trying to create emulators for things like old games? Is it untangling ancient spaghetti code in a way that a PC can understand? Trying to sort out the clock speeds? A combination of the two or something else entirely?

Better is insanely subjective dude. Quick appeal to authority: I am a chef.
There is nothing I can think of off the top of my head. That said, I am not anti-microwave or anything. It is a useful tool. Like how else am I gonna heat up this leftover pizza in 45 seconds when I am in a rush? Is it the 'best' option? No fucking way. But sometimes it is certainly the most practical option.

Is there a way to open iv2i files/norton ghost backups?

I have a friend who has a whole computer's worth of data backed up by Norton Ghost in this weird format, but Norton Ghost is now defunct, and it's now seemingly impossible to open the backup of his old PC.

Has anyone ever used a Lenovo Legion Y520? I can get it for $500 down from $1.6k Australian, and it seems like it has really good specs for the price.
I'm mainly looking at something for university work and 2000 era games that won't really lag at all (currently I've got an Acer ES1-411 which is constantly freezing like a motherfucker even on Firefox with two tabs open)

Attached: laptop specs.png (617x513, 20K)

Have you considered getting an actual gaming rig and the cheapest laptop you can find? Imo it's better. Laptop gaming is always cancer. You can probably build a comparable pc for sub 400 and spend the rest on a cheap laptop.

What music player or media program do you use to organize and play music?

I used to use itunes because I had an iphone but now I need an alternative. Spotify doesn't have all the music I like, so I prefer to use my own files.

>for university work and 2000 era games
You don't need much for that. But if you're taking it to class you want something lightweight, sturdy, and long battery life. That sounds like a deal for $500, but make sure it actually works for what you really need it for.

Oh shit I just thought of something though. I would never make oatmeal in anything but the microwave. Not worth the time/effort in any other way. But I mean that is literally gruel, so who knows.

@@||Jow Forums.org^*$csp=default-src 'self' * data: 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'

Does this uBlock Origin filter line have potential security implications or is it fine?

I made a gaming rig for $1k which works really well for modern games, while my uni laptop has an ok battery life it's completely hopeless for internet browsing or any sort of university research/essay writing. "Cheapest laptop I could find" didn't do me any favours here even though it only set me back $225AUD.

I don't know the build quality of the laptop but those seem like decent specs for $500AUS.

If my cpu bounces between 0% to 90% randomly while idle, is it broken?

Depends how often and for how long it bounces, but its probably just some background maintanence task or something if you're on Windows.

i got fiber broadband and let's say i go to the catalog on a Jow Forums board, there's a half second delay before the page renders, is it my computer being a potato or is the fiber a fucking meme

Are you using Jow Forums X? Its probably normal, switch to Violentmonkey and it might be quicker though.

vanilla Jow Forums

as in, no extensions or scripts

What's the best garageband alternative on Windows, besides Audacity?

Not even uBO?

oh yeah i do have ublock origin
also my specs are core 2 duo E8400 3 GHz and 6 GB ddr2 ram

Its probably normal to be honest then.
Does it show a sort of plain white CSS before rendering into the actual theme?

Want to get into robotics but I have no money for now, any simulators out there that will allow me to program a robot in C to get my feet wet?

is it possible to emulate android on pc and cast that to an actual phone to control it? or even the other way around?

if i'm on page 1 of the board and click on catalog it looks like this for a split second. if i'm in a thread and go to catalog i stay in the thread for a split second and then the catalog renders instantly. this is on google chrome

Attached: Capture.png (1028x760, 52K)

on firefox i get the plain white CSS for a split second. it seems to load much faster on firefox.

it's inconsistent, sometimes i get the plain white CSS on chrome too

power went out while i was on vacation and left the machine running for remote access. now the entire debian buster partition is fucked. cant startx just goes to black screen, after attempting to startx and ssh in reboot via ssh just cuts ssh connection and sits at black screen. nothing in dmesg nothing in logs. wat do?

can someone explain array subroutines to me pretty please
this is supposed to print a histogram of character inputer (pulled from stack exchange)
#include
main() {
int c, i, n, nc;
nc = '~' - ' '; // range of ascii values to count
int ndigit[nc];
for (i = 0; i < nc; ++i)
ndigit[i] = 0;
while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) {
++ndigit[c-' '];
if (c == '\n') {
for (i = 0; i < nc; i++)
if (ndigit[i] != 0) {
printf("%c: ", i + ' ');
for (n = 0; n < ndigit[i]; n++) {
printf("-");
}
printf("\n");
}
for (i = 0; i < nc; ++i)
ndigit[i] = 0;
}
}
}

if i read that over a lot of it makes sense, but what the fuck does this mean

++ndigit[c-' ']

i THINK it means "if this is a space, dont count it" but i have no idea
pic for attention

Attached: afc.gif (600x337, 107K)

In that case I believe its normal behavior and you shouldn't be concerned.

I think that's to do with the way that Jow Forums does its CSS and it could be related to the whole adblock domain thing from back in December.

Anyone know what to do when I just can't

ok, thanks user

If you check the same dictionary multiple times it's gonna be the same, but if you have, for example, a loop that creates the same dictionary multiple times, you cannot guarantee that they'll be in the same order every time. Also depends on the os. Basically, you can't rely on dictionary being always in the same order, that's just the kind of data structure that it is.

chkdsk has been stuck at 14% for hours. Is it time for me to upgrade my drive?

How to install .tar/.tar.gz/tar.xz files in void linux??? There's literally no documentation on this, and I don't know if other OS's tar extracting methods work

Attached: tyftrdrestydy.jpg (369x134, 8K)

those drops occur on intra-frames (iframes)
the way modern codecs work is that you start with an iframe (aka a whole frame, basically a still image), followed by a number of inter-frames (p/b frames) which are just deltas from the previous frame
p/b frames can't be decoded by themselves, as they aren't whole images, they can only be decoded once everything since the last iframe has been decoded, so you typically want iframes every so often so the video is easy to seek through (if for example, you have i frames only every 10 minutes, a seek could require decoding up to to 10 minutes of video to perform!)
the reason they're low quality here is because iframes are much larger than p/b frames, and you're using an average bitrate mode of encoding, so when it's forced to make a new iframe, it's quantizing (compressing) the iframe too heavily, since there's not much to go around

for short videos on Jow Forums, i personally just opt to use a huge GOP (space between iframes), so there's no unnecessary iframes, since people don't tend to seek Jow Forums videos, and they're never longer than 2 minutes anyway
you can also try reducing the qmax to prevent it picking a large quantizer value

>Error: Your image contains an embedded file.
not this shit again, Jow Forums seems to hate low bitrate video
my.mixtape.moe/orlgcn.webm

I was thinking of using Python. I found stackoverflow.com/questions/348392/receive-and-send-emails-in-python which makes it seem pretty straightforward but this is like almost a decade old so is there anything I might need to keep in mind that isn't mentioned here?