Was it a victim of old ass hardware at the time of launch?

Was it a victim of old ass hardware at the time of launch?

Attached: windows-vista-logo.jpg (482x400, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

longhorn.ms/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.

That and the rush to market after the xP interregnum. Remember Longhorn? WinFS? All those great, new, advanced technologies Unka Bill promised with a straight face? Then, after it was beyond them, they rushed Vista out and blamed everyone else. Their shills blamed hardware drivers, ignoring the fact that this was Microsoft's job to ensure that there were working drivers. It was their OS and they sold it, after all.

>Their shills blamed hardware drivers
I remember watching/reading something somewhere where a large percentage of crashes were Nvidia releated (~30%?).
You can't really blame MS for that, its not their job to write GPU drivers.

>UAC is still garbage today

Vista deserved the hate it got

Windows 8 not so much

I have no problems with Vista. 8 sucked though

>tfw there will never be an OS as asthetically appealing as vista

Attached: 1526670576040.jpg (1080x1350, 136K)

windows metro is the ugliest piece of shit thing ever they need to scrap that tile bullshit entirely

7 is like 95% Vista.

Short answer: Yes.

UAC is a good thing. too bad they nerfed it in 7.

Nothing is more ugly than Aero

This

Vista was the peak of windows aesthetic.

>Rendering of the desktop offloaded onto the GPU for the first time on windows
>No more ugly ass screen tearing
Vista was gorgeous.

What's your excuse anons? Why don't you have a copy of the only non bothet windows os

Attached: 0715181838c.jpg (3264x1836, 2.29M)

That disc case was aesthetic as fuck too, my 5200+ Brisbane machine, Vista 64 (Or 7 beta if I was running it), and Vegas Pro 8 were my life back in 2008-2009.

Attached: slimline%2520s3407c%2520%283%29__28205.1449503501.1280.1280.jpg (1280x1280, 380K)

No. Software can be optimized to work well on weak hardware. Just because better hardware improves the experience, that doesn't mean hardware was the problem.

Vista was stylish at time. 7 was boring, but more efficient

>That box
>Looks like an old PC game

Has 32 and 64 but installations, a serial code, documentation, and on the back has a fold out of the features
Imagine of shit still had this today
I lived on the edge and always wanted the latest. Leaked win8 as my daily driver? Fuck yeah

would make shit ton of money if you sell it

>Vista torrents near dead everywhere
>Windows 10 botnet and telemetry happens
>7 and 8 hit with botnet updates
>Vista not affected
>Huge spike in seeders appears for Vista ultimate torrent
Was fun to see that happen while I got my copy for free. Key still works too if you phone in for it to activate. Or just be sensible and use an activator like kmspico or whatever that better one is that isn't dazloader

Used Vista for 6 years, 7 for 1.5 years, then 8 leaked and I went to town with it

Vista was Windows 7 rushed out before it was ready.

Feeling real nostalgic right now so I'm doing an install, I don't even care if it's newfag for Vista to be my first OS but that era of computing is special to me.

Attached: vista.png (1920x1200, 1.83M)

This is how I know I've spent too much time here. I remember with absolute clarity the threads here back in '09 with people losing their shit over the new and sexy Windows 7 and claiming Vista would be banished from this board until the end of time.

And here we are. Trying to save Vista because surprise surprise M$ managed to fuck eveything else up. Repeatedly.

Wew this takes me back.

>tfw living in a timeline where Vister is a viable OS.

Attached: vista.png (1920x1200, 2M)

holy shit i swear i got goosebumps seeing this, vista was my first os too ;_;

Vista looked OK but performed horribly
8 is an eyesore but is fast

must we always sacrifice one for the other?

the only thing that really went well for Microsoft OSes over time is server management. it just got better and easier with each generation

my worst purchase ever. dunno what to do with a 32-bit ultimate OEM disc. key's never been activated either

Kinda? There were a fuckton of dramatically underpowered machines that were released with Vista, and most random Joe Blow rando fucks sure didn't have the specs to upgrade to it and enjoy it, since it was a fucking fatass at launch. People still had like 40GB disks, so ~10GB Vista was fat as shit. Loads of people had like 1GB RAM, good luck and have fun running Vista on that. All of these were a-ok XP machines, but there was no chance of 'em working properly well Vista.
also, lol drivers

I did have a Vista machine that worked like a charm from the day it was bought (had Vista preloaded) up until well into Win7's lifespan
my Vista partition just refused to boot one day, so I installed Win7

biggest issue I personally remember having is that applications created with Game Maker 6 wouldn't open on Vista due to some shit with the compression code it used, but there was a patcher released to get those games or programs working again (shame there was no way to have GM6's IDE itself to run the patcher every time you ran the game in it, so you had to upgrade to GM7 if you were developing with GM, and that had some DRM bullshit I remember a ton of people bitching about)

I know what I will do at work today. Install Vista on my X200s.

/thread

Yeah, I worked at a place that sold refurbished computers and two models of desktop that we sold had Vista with 512 MB RAM. No wonder people hated it. We started giving free RAM upgrades for those models because RAM was cheap and it was better than making a customer deal with minimum-spec Vista.

People hated Vista regardless because of driver issues. Imagine buying a new desktop because your old motherboard died, then finding out you also had to buy new peripherals because MS and hardware manufacturers didn't support half of the old stuff. Also some older niche business software didn't work. XP downgrades were popular because most of the Vista systems had XP drivers available.

7 is still better. If you don't want botnet, just block updates immediately after installing or block MS servers on your router.

>If you don't want botnet
If you don't want botnet then don't use Windows. People who care about their privacy and freedom do not use Windows. Microsoft have been including back doors in their software since XP at least.

More pics.

>can be disabled in 30 seconds upon first boot
this is the barrier to entry for people who call themselves power users?

Yes. It was basically just Windows 7.

Why would you lie to a bunch of strangers, user? What do you stand to gain from that?

You can still get leaked Longhorn as well. Fun to use once in a while.

Get longhorn
longhorn.ms/