Getting into tech for the sake of jobs

Can you be a programmer if you're not a "math guy" or the kind of really smart person that can get into MIT? I'm an average dude who is more into english/history than math/science (though I don't struggle with those classes), but english/history is lolnojobs. Could pursuing software development work for a guy like me?

Attached: images[1].png (246x205, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.cmu.edu/~bam/uicourse/05863fall17/schedule.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Programming is an learning-for-life-by-yourself activity.

If you think that "getting a job" for the sake of having one is gonna make you happy, then by all means go for it. It's not like the world has a lack of bozos.

Yes absolutely. Math isn't really a necessity in most jobs until you get to a senior software engineer level where you're expected to understand more advanced tricks and performance implications of your code.

I'm saying this based on my experience working as a software engineer. Many of the entry level software engineers in my company have skills I would expect of a college senior who does a bit of programming in his spare time. If you can work with SQL database and understand a language like Java or C# well enough to write simple algorithms like fizzbuzz or filtering a list or other simple tasks like that, you can probably get a job in this field. However to advance you will have to teach yourself a lot. Still, I haven't found math a vital skill for the type of work I do (programming backend)

Yes most programmers arent good at math and do literal monkey work

Math and programming are the same thing. Of course brainlets don't realize this, so will claim otherwise but if you can program you can do math. You're evaluating, using variables/constants, using functions, ect ect. For example there's the concept in programming of Higher Order Functions. That's a function that accepts as input, another function and returns a new function. That's exactly what a derivative does in Calculus, just the specification for that is the real line while the specification for your function is whatever program you're making.

So tl;dr it's essentially the same thing, if you get good at one you'll get better at the other. If you want to fix your shitty math then go on expii.com it's run by the US Olympiad coach guy

Also you don't have to be a programmer, you can just be a designer and manipulate a DSL in a wireframe program cs.cmu.edu/~bam/uicourse/05863fall17/schedule.html

>That's exactly what a derivative does in Calculus
It's really not

You don't need a degree in maths to program.

you can be a web developer no math at all
but if you want to go deep also in web
Liner algebra its what you need

Where do I start off with webdev? My mommy actually has some books already.

Attached: 41T53nRtyoL.jpg (437x500, 27K)

i have Web Dev with Clojure - Sotnikov. Is Clojure cool|? will i be cooler, smarter and earn more money if i learn Clojure instead of hacking shit in javascript and react? I am 40 pages into SICP and i enjoy scheme, however i still has problems to write basic stuff in it

>html
>css
>js
>jq
>ajax
after that choose between
>python
Or
>php
Or
>node-js
dont read books! Its a waste

Learning needs motivation. Just because math in school doesn't interest you for its own sake doesn't mean that you can't learn math when it actually becomes relevant to you Also it doesn't take very long to figure out if you can stand programming or not.

>dont read books! Its a waste
y? if I've already got 'em y'know.

because books have no practice and nothing forces you to turn your head to solve problems

I'm a Data Engineer with an English degree. I started in the Marketing Dept., learned Tableau, then SQL, then got a job as a Database Admin, then learned R, Python, and Scala.
Very possible, you just need to figure out exactly where you wanna be, and work on the languages that will get you there.

>Can you be a programmer
This is a shit job. Stop aspiring to be some shitty programmer.

>if you're not a "math guy" or the kind of really smart person that can get into MIT?
Anyone can be a programmer. Which is why it is a shit-tier job. Just look at all the threads on Jow Forums over the course of a week complaining about "pajeets" and SJWs. You don't have to be a "really smart person" to program or be a programmer.

>Could pursuing software development work for a guy like me?
Certainly. Any dumbass with a little initiative can be a programmer. But you should really aim higher if you want a satisfying job that won't be outsourced or undercut by cheap labor.

>dont read books! Its a waste

All resources come from books user, not everyone is lazy enough to go to a coding boot camp

I was a fucking music teacher for 10 years, now Im lead DevOPs at a bank. ANythings possible

is junior admin better than backend developer?

The differential operator in calculus maps a function to its derivative, also a function. Programming and math is similar enough that Sussman wrote a series of books on how you can do Lagrange equations with scheme notation instead of math notation

dude when i learn something i just dive inside, its the best way to understand. books sometime confusing and time consuming..
>coding bootcamp
and i will never pay to learn there is more than enogh info in the documentations and tutorials out there.
the only thing that missing its you sit on your ass practice and learn for years.
>lazy
maybe i am but i know this shit enogh to be sure it is not fucking anything in code

I disagree entirely. If you want to be more than a codemonkey, then reading structured lecture on how the systems work and how different parts interact with each other is very useful for actually understanding languages and their underlying systems.

yeh the documentations and the api are provid it fully..
books are not bad but they taking to much time on
extensive introduction to the system and
Theoretical messages
Think about it...
when did you learn more from reading books or solve problems in real time?
books are good if you want to confuse people mind about how much you know,
As opposed to practical experience that gives you a thorough familiarity with the systems and languages with which you work

what kind of tech job could a t. 32y/o boomer get that fried his brain throughout his 20's with booze and opiates and no experience administrating large networks or programming experience beyond HTML and Visual Basic in highschool but over 20 years of general computing and a few years tinkering with GAHNOO slash linux...? :'(

>if you really think about it everything is math

Attached: 1513299696345.jpg (500x751, 49K)

what the fuck 'general computing means

u know
intoing computers
tinkering
fucking with
researching shit
shit i don't know, USING A COMPUTER AND COMPUTER ACCESSORIES?

Attached: 1525436180696.jpg (304x237, 33K)