Anyone else fall for the Raspberry Pi meme...

Anyone else fall for the Raspberry Pi meme? I wasted $30 on this thing that does nothing as well as electronics I already own.

Attached: 91zSu44+34L._SX466_.jpg (466x300, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/
pi-hole.net/
duckduckgo.com/?q=hifiberry digi plus pro&t=canonical&ia=web
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>thinking that the pi is a replacement for prebuilt electronics

if you buy one without the intention of learning how to building anything, you're a moron.

kys

Unless you had a pre-dertermined task for one before buying it you're a fucking idiot.

Didn't you have any kind of plan of what to do with it when you bought it?
They're useful for a lot of things

You are the quintessential consumer whore. Buying shit just to buy it. You should feel shame. Next time consider your purchases, don't just jump on the bandwagon. But since you have it and I still have some faith in you, get a book or something with a bunch of projects in it and work through them. Hopefully something will light the spark in you and you'll "know" what to do from then on.

its a cheap computer than can be used for meme tier trolling, pirate boxes, or low end nerdery.
For $30 it was never meant to be anything more than what it is. You should have known before buying it that a throw away 10 year old PC has orders of magnitude more power than a Pi.

Jesus are we having this thread /again/?

Ok, things you can do with a Raspberry Pi:
Hifi audio server for bitperfect playback, without any mechanical noise from hard disk spins or fans. Look into Volumio for a prepackaged distro, or 24bit96.com for how to build it yourself from scratch.
Turn it into a docker server to store files and generally learn how both docker and networking work, always a useful skill.
Turn it into a Tor exit node and/or a bridge for Tor connections to both learn how Tor works and secure yourself to a higher degree.
Use it as an IRC bot, or any kind of bot for that matter.
Turn it into a seedbox to always be seeding torrents for private trackers.
Plug in a camera and hide it somewhere for security (or to spy on roasties)
Hide it in a public place and scan for handshakes on wifi networks.
Use it as a general playground for new shit like distros (arch, gentoo) or possible alterations to distros you want to test run before applying to a more important device, if you lack a laptop for that already.

should've spent them on a penis pump

I have one that runs pi-hole and the unifi controller software for my Ubiquiti WAP. Definitely worth the $30 I paid and the time it took to set up.

Make use of the GPIO pins, and make an Internet of Trash gadget. It's pretty cool to write an app for your phone that can control real life hardware.

>I spent money on a thing I have no use for.
>Clearly the object is at fault.

Their hype sure worked on you.

I have a 3B+ and a 2B+. I use the former as a home server (git and samba), and the latter as a WSN sink node. Works well for me.

Attached: Char_25546.jpg (210x240, 7K)

turn it into a seedbox and never worry about using your PC to run clients and shit

check out rtorrent + flood in google

ya, i own one of those little turds a B 3+

it is so under-powered it is useless, but i know what would make it useful, if someone made a little multi mode router distro for it that was easy to configure for either a wifi adapter or client/bridge through a web browser like any consumer grade router like dlink, linksys or netgear just type in 192.168.1.1 and you can config it as a client/bridge router for a ethernet connected PC,

Why the fuck would you buy it without knowing what you were going to use it for?

Use it as media center for nonsmart TV

I only want one to make my own SNES mini

Is this thread becoming bait at this point?

If you blindly bought a Raspberry Pi because some techtuber or some fa/g/ told you to do without any idea what it does and don't have the initiative to figure out its capabilities I'm afraid you're too brainlet to be worth giving a legitimate answer to.

I use mine for online banking and such as it is immune to Spectre.

I love these threads though, you faggot Pajeet kike niggers must be really threatened by this machine to shill against it all the time like this. Eat my dick faggot.

Attached: 61D1DD2A-7182-4187-8604-34DD2963B12D.jpg (225x225, 18K)

It’s Intel Pajeets who are mad that nobody gave a fuck about their backdoored shitty “low power” “maker” board. They must have wasted a billion dollars on Edison.

Attached: EE8EDE50-89C2-43D1-8CE2-9DCD42A9C7FA.gif (400x224, 3.08M)

I got Bluefish and VLC on it. Just doing part time beginner coding on it while listening to music. Also been messing with Sonic Pi

Attached: 1530500749410.gif (500x500, 44K)

idiot

Have 3 of them. All of them being used as small gome servers. I don't see what is your problem (besides company making them being sjw shithole and them being quite incompetent at making hardware)

>Hifi audio server for bitperfect playback
No. Rasp pi has shit audio output.
Did not read rest but I bet it is bs.

raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/

>Hifi audio server for bitperfect playback, without any mechanical noise from hard disk spins or fans. Look into Volumio for a prepackaged distro, or 24bit96.com for how to build it yourself from scratch.
all that hassle when you can just use spotify
>Turn it into a docker server to store files and generally learn how both docker and networking work, always a useful skill.
dropbox works just as fine, no hassle either
>Turn it into a Tor exit node and/or a bridge for Tor connections to both learn how Tor works and secure yourself to a higher degree.
i'm not a pedo
>Use it as an IRC bot, or any kind of bot for that matter.
Discord exists, why would you use IRC?
>Turn it into a seedbox to always be seeding torrents for private trackers.
i'm not a pedo
>Plug in a camera and hide it somewhere for security (or to spy on roasties)
i'm not a criminal
>Hide it in a public place and scan for handshakes on wifi networks.
i'm not a criminal
>Use it as a general playground for new shit like distros (arch, gentoo) or possible alterations to distros you want to test run before applying to a more important device, if you lack a laptop for that already.
nothing wrong with macOS

It's good for a low-power always-on device. DNS server, VPN entry point, etc. Unfortunately it has shit storage connectivity and slow-ass ethernet so it's worthless as a NAS.
I run boards with SATA ports out the ass.

okay, this is epic.

>hethrewthewholepoleinthewater.jpg

fpbp

I will punch you in the cervix

Attached: 1504323808757.jpg (313x313, 30K)

Totally misinterpreted his post. Should've spent your 30 $ on a heavy duty rope. Please neck yourself, entitled bitchboy.

>raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/
i'm still right tho

uhh lol? actually I'm right.

With the exception that your decade machine is most likely meltdown and spectre-vulnerable while Pi is not.

>this $30 thing doesn't do stuff as well as a $500 thing does
No shit

No need for any of that. The Pi is neat as a learning tool but there isnt any legitimate use for one

my rpi0 sits at my home monitoring with its camera for movements
if it detects any movement, the telegram bot sends me an image and a video of the occurrence
also
>vpn

Attached: rpi0.jpg (709x329, 63K)

I never researched this device before, but after some reading here and the wiki. I have found the only use of it to use it as a SNES emulator.

Mycroft voice assistant

>Discord exists, why would you use IRC?
haHAA

I had thought of maybe getting something along the lines of a raspberry pie to use as a media center thing for the television.
Anyone did something similar well?

The Pi isn't the DAC you tard, it's the music player. You plug the Pi into a DAC.

its too expensive and a waste of time setting it up for whats going to be an underpowered piece of shit

get a commercial product for anything you might need

I have been using a pi as my only computer for over a year, because I'm poor.

It's honestly almost alright.

Attached: wind-blowing-cloud-hi.png (600x377, 32K)

You can't play x265, or use acestream, or really stream hd video, but it's good enough for most local media content

This is an incredibly ironic post

Is it possible to run a small minecraft server on pi?

i found and tried zero shell, it sucks, it booted up good the first time, but no support for wifi adapter, firewall locked down tight cant access anything, like building a house with no doors or windows so whats the point, so i put a monitor on it (not a headless configuration through ethernet) and i see multiple choice selections in a commandline interface, i flush iptables to make access easier until i get it configured but still wont let me connect via direct connection via ethernet on a laptop, so i connect a keyboard and config it the best the multiple choice allows me to and reboot, and it dont work what a fucking broken piece of shit distro, the developers at zero shell should be ashamed for releasing such a pile of horse shit

What do you all recommend instead of raspberry pi? Looking for something with at least one sata port, are banana pi's better?

I haven't tried (yet), but I read somewhere PI is capable for running Minecraft server.

We have this thread every day
The main purpose of the Pi was to teach people how to experiment with computers, programming and diy embedded systems. See it as a toy to experiment with and it will be way more fun than trying to find one task that's more efficient to do with the Pi than a device already specialized for it

you might have to add some swap space with a USB

raspberry pis are for learning and having fun building projects
any off the shelf mass produced item to accomplish whatever your raspberry pi project will always be cheaper than what it costs for you to make when parts and labor are calculated

if you bought a pi thinking that it was gonna be super cheap way to replace something you already have, then you're an idiot.

I feel you, buddy. I had to do two semesters with a motorola lapdock + raspi in university. I wrote some browser based optics sims on it for a professor to replace some ancient java based ones he used for an education major oriented science class he taught. Holy hell did I learn how bad javascript really is.

Don't know what you faglords are complaining about.
The fucker is good enough to run my
>small business website
>own emailserver
>nextcloud for the family
>pihole
>at almost no power costs
I am aware i could probably get a cheaper webserver but fuck giving all that data to the chosen ones.

If $30 is of critical importance to you, there are larger problems endemic to your life.

Everything about the Edison was terrible. I got mine for free although I think that was still too much.

Forget ARM boards. Get a cheap x86 board instead. Low end intels will do, you can find a nice little dual core, throw some ram into it and you have at least a dozen PCIe lanes to work with. You can get boards with lots of SATA ports but also a PCIe SATA card will work just as well.
Stick it in a box, stick a beefy cooler on it and set the RPM down really low, and it'll silently hum away and you can do whatever you want on it. Server, run (a) VM (if you want more VMs get more cores, or consider going AMD for the COARS), run a NAS by just throwing drives into it, media centre, web server, mumble server, music streaming, dedicated torrent machine, etc etc.
One cool thing to do is to get a VPN service, and run a VM that is permanently connected to it and also runs a headless torrent client like deluge. Then you can throw torrents at it and you get VPN'd torrenting without fucking up things you do anywhere else. It can just download the torrents straight to network shares.
Or get a proper domain name. Assign it to your IP and you have a domain to access your shit wherever in the world you are. I've got a script that checks my external IP and automatically updates the DNS record of my domain, so it's dynamic.
It's a load of fun. I run an email server too, and since I got a domain people can literally just send me email using my dumb meme domain name.

I use it to control my dslr camera to make time lapses and high speed photos.

I have a orangepi managing my 3D printer
Another for a VPN
Another for a private cloud backup
One with kodi
One with retropi for games
And 1 left that I'm planning on doing something with soon

>retropi
I've never been able to get the input lag low enough for anything other than rpgs. Am I missing something obvious. I'm using a wired ps4 controller on a pi3

>your decade machine is most likely meltdown and spectre-vulnerable
Joke's on you

Attached: amd_phenom_ii_x4_955_be_01.jpg (980x888, 194K)

taking 'being a faggot' to a whole new level, user.

I have pinhole and syncthing for backups.
Might install Mycroft soon.

>i'm still right tho
No, you're retarded. Common misconception.

Why are there so many consumerist retards on Jow Forums?
If you buy something without having a use for it then it's all your fault.

If you think of it as a small computer then it sucks but if you think of it as a high powered micro-controller it's not so bad.

I had an embedded project I was working on that needed to read a sensor, process some data, and then pulse a mosfet. I considered using an arduino or a ESP8266 but I wanted a touch screen and really wanted to just run linux with no other bullshit and so I settled on a raspi zero.

I played around with the zero while I was working on the project and determined that it's pretty much useless for anything other then being used as a glorified micro-controller which it does fill that role well in my opinion.

the one trade off for using it as a micro-controller though is that the boot times are horrendous and suspend/sleep doesn't exist.

>playground for distros
only if you want the shitty ARM versions

>welcome to /nu/g/ where copya pastsa is a hard

Use one for low end NAS cause I like to give my money to hookers.

Use one for pihole cause it sounded dirty, like my hooker.

Use one with OSMC on it to watch my cuck videos.

Attached: boomer08.png (1500x761, 276K)

>nothing wrong with macOS
see, you just outed yourself as a major faggot, aside from all the other straw-man arguments, this is the one that gave it away

Attached: f849c1be83870b7177f238a7015b60422b7cbfab0c7daa21ec8e59c4761f086e.jpg (242x394, 23K)

I bought mine as a cheap libreboot/coreboot flasher.
Still waiting on some bugs on my particular machine to get ironed out so in the meantime I use it as a /vr/ machine for games that don't really require hyper precise inputs.

>Use it as media center for nonsmart TV
What I bought it for. Fucked can't even play videos

No VLC no MPV

It has a shitty player called omxplayer.
Fucked can't even wrap subs plays it all on one line.

Every single use case is more like useless case, amirite? It's just making something for the sake of making something.

Honestly, just get an Arduino.

>I bought a thing I had no use for and I don't like it
Fuck off, boomer.

Attached: 1531235050321.png (716x537, 544K)

sudo apt-get install vlc

i'm making my own roomba with ROS, maybe is not as good the real one but i'm having lots of fun

OP is retarded

Wifi chip on these things is shit and the SOC will crash and not be accessible until you reboot the unit. Might as well not even put a wireless chip on these.

>boomer

Attached: facepalm_picard_riker.jpg (417x267, 22K)

>don't need a raspi
>buy raspi
>DAE this thing is pointless?
literally end your own existence

pi-hole.net/
Ad block for devices that don't have adblock. I use it to block ads on my TV's browser.

plug in one of these things and run your multibit dac from it.

Attached: hifiberry digi plus pro.jpg (474x360, 27K)

that would be great if a multi mode home wifi router client bridge thing was made that had that adblock app in it, then all the devices that connect using it would all be ad free

what's that?

duckduckgo.com/?q=hifiberry digi plus pro&t=canonical&ia=web

The HiFiBerry Digi+ is a high-quality S/PDIF output board for the Raspberry Pi. It comes in three different versions, compatible with different Raspberry Pis. The dedicated S/PDIF interface chip supports up to 192kHz/24bit resolution.

fuck that nigger shit

wait shit ok I feel like I may be being incredibly dumb here because I've never heard of anything like this.

I've got a high quality DAC/amp and headphones, I used to use foobar for bitperfect playback when I used windows but since using Linux I've used turned my Pi into a bitperfect audio stream server, plugged into my DAC. Where exactly does this thing fit into the setup? As far as I understand, right now my Pi just has music player software that streams bitperfect audio to my DAC, and that's that. What would this thing change?

I use mine as a Mopidy server. A really, really shitty mopidy server.

this

also, if you just want to play around with IO, don't buy a pi. buy one of these:

>Arduino Due (ez mode)
>Infineon XMC1400 bootkit (medium mode)
>STMicro Nucleo F429ZI (hard mode)
>Atmel ATSAMV71-XULT (god mode)

Anyone use one as a replacement for a Phillips smart hub? How well does it work?

You run all of that with just a single one??

>not making a pihole or putting it inside a arcade stick and making a portable arcade game
Its like you enjoy making bad decisions.