Windows 7

So, how much is actually gonna happen when MS ends support for it in 2020? Some 12 year old boomlets on this board keep going on about how they loved it 'back in the day but it's a thing of the past now' but meanwhile it's still the most used OS in the world. Is microsoft really just gonna walk away from it no matter how many users still depend on it?

Attached: windows_7.jpg (523x350, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.directinsight.co.uk/end-of-life-dates-for-windows-embedded-products-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah they are just going to walk away from it, they're the same people that forced win 10 upgrades a while ago.

aren't they still giving out small updates for XP though?
I haven't used windows in a very long time so maybe I'm underestimating their douchiness but I'd think it's mostly big companies who buy huge amount of licences who'd request longer support. MS are based jews I don't see them pissing their best customers off to see them switching to apple.

Yes, xp receives extended support because many businesses still use xp. I assume the same will happen with 7. If all the businesses that rely on 7 are told no more important security hotfixes for you I assume many people will look towards a better os.

>Is microsoft really just gonna walk away from it no matter how many users still depend on it?
you have to consider that 90% of consumers paid $10 for Windows 7 ages ago by their OEM preinstall, getting 10 years of support from that is insane.
The real money for MS lies in businesses and those who won't switch simply have to pay more like they did with XP

I already got used to W10 LTSB which is pretty much just 7 with extra botnet and the """"modern"""" interface, it just werks.

just start learning linux now and run LTSB for gaymes only.

by 2020 you should be fairly confident

I already use Linux for my servers and it runs great but no way i'm going to use it for my desktop/laptop.

Every month they give a small package of updates ranging from security updates to small performance enhancements.

I want to fugg win7

member when xp was the most used OS in the world?

I member

Times change, but war, war never changes.

>just start learning linux now
>learning linux

And this is why Linux sucks.

>support ended
>still get updates every month except you only get the necessary stuff without all the botnets
wow, if only they stopped support earlier

I haven't used windows on any of my primary computers since shortly after 10 came out. Just making this thread because I genuinely liked windows when MS still knew its place, and hope the last consumer friendly version will stay usable for a while. When 7 dies I'll probably dump my last windows system because installing an OS that is designed to use me in stead of serving me is just ridiculous imo. Even tho I love linux more it's depressing to see a nice OS die.

You have to learn any OS dummy

>So, how much is actually gonna happen when MS ends support for it in 2020?

Attached: --madobe-nanami-and-madobe-tooko-os-tan-windows-10-and-windows-7-drawn-by-cyber-cyber-knight--944c4f (800x555, 225K)

gonna switch to applel when this happens, probably sooner

Wonder how small is XP development team now

They will abandon her the same way they did with XP, and I will hate them for it

Attached: 1527959263483.jpg (450x338, 111K)

Wonder how many NT 3.1 developers are already dead.

>I genuinely liked windows when MS still knew its place

Windows 7 was literally a reaction to the anti-consumer disaster that was Vista.

Yes. They dont support XP anymore from when it was most popular.
W7 is used because of cheap businesses and the tech illetarate. It is inferior to 10 in everyway.

>mfw moved to GNU/Linux full time after Windows 8
>mfw use Windows 10 at work and it blows
At home I use SUSE for desktop and Ubuntu for my server.

Windows 7 was comfy, but I have support forever with no need to reinstall with Tumbleweed.

>It is inferior to 10 in everyway.
Except stability, right

The vista rage pastas from that time seem so wholesome now. I mean Microsoft was never a great company. Even XP was relatively botnet for its time but they stayed within the acceptable lines of 'we know you're our customer, and we try to get your money but we promise to give you a nice product'. Nothing like the huge fuck-you that is windows 10.

>So, how much is actually gonna happen when MS ends support for it in 2020?
realistically nothing. Regular security updates will probably stop or slow, but considering many businesses will still be using it critical vulnerabilities will probably still be patched for a while longer.

T B H, XP, Vista, and 7 gave the "typical" user too much control. The average person doesn't give a shit about security, and given the choice of risking ransomware or losing 5 minutes a week to install updates, they'll choose clicking "later" on updates for weeks, to months, to years.

W10 was a necessary evil, and honestly is a 5 minute task to disable all the annoyances for anyone that can use google.

>every reason to use gnu/linux
>a cute anime mascot
who would win?

Considering 'Thin PC' (a MS Win7 based custom build) is EOL 2021 and not 2020, patches will be available to the general public for 1 year easily at least.
And yes POSReady 2009 (an XP SP3 based build) still receives patches

blogs.directinsight.co.uk/end-of-life-dates-for-windows-embedded-products-2/

Attached: 1508410897865.png (1600x900, 324K)

Anyone have or know where to find a relatively recent list of bad updates to avoid? I want to keep Windows 7 alive and healthy as long as possible.

Attached: 1504283136845.jpg (428x371, 102K)

Go help out in ReactOS

I know nothing of code, how can I contribute to this? Truthfully all I want to do is play EVE but even so, that's really neat.

Attached: 1501732134590.gif (500x282, 3.65M)

This but unironically.

Are there any drawfags on Jow Forums? Someone should make anime mascots for different linux distros.

there would be a dozen gentoo-tans and just about no chance for anything else

but that's all we need

Microsoft knows about what happened with XP and will take extra steps to ensure embedded updates don't work for desktop 7 to make you want to upgrade to windows 10.

/thread

>tfw still have XP installed on my old dusty single core PC
;_;

I'm still on the fence about moving from Windows 7, but what advantage does Windows 8.1 hold over WIndows 10?

Not forced to do updates

Windows 7 was the end of progression for OS's. The difference between 7 and XP is staggering, but there's hardly any between 7 and 10. If 7 was receiving the same maintenance (and being filled with the same bloat) it'd be functionally the same as 10. They just made 8 for the profit and finished on 10 because they know windows only works every other OS

Consumers will change OS if they don't want to use unsupported OS.
Professionals who don't want to upgrade will pay for extended support, just like they do now for XP.

You still have access to that extended update channel on XP, if you tweak it a bit.

I just tried W10 on slow ring and those sets and honestly I see a grim future for this fucking OS.

I don't know whether I should switch to 7 or 8.1. I recall 7 on my PC having issues like jerky scrolling (with aero enabled so it wasn't due to screen tearing).

Microsoft still supports it? I get that security updates are a thing but I've never had a genuine lack of usability come from them flipping the switch on "support".
I don't get viruses and shit it just "feels" obsolete.
Nothing will happen except for manufacteres being less likely to make drivers. The only reason they do that is because the MS gods have implied it to be obsolete.

My question is this. How does Microsoft "supporting" the os actually benefit me as a proficient user of the operating system?

I will keep using it as long as I can find drivers for my hardware because it works for everything and isn't full of bullshit. dx12 is all I'm missing out on but I'll take that over Cortana being shoved up my ass.

Unless there is a reliable way to consistently remove windows defender entirely from win10 I will not use it. It comes back every update even if I manage to remove it from everything

There are some mass migration projects happening in the business world, at least in the USA.

By the time 2020 rolls around the world will be ready.

You are not alone dude, I still use my XP to play AoE at least once a week so she will never be alone

LTSB is better.

>2028
Surely by that point ReactOS will be up to snuff and I won't have to use Microsoft trash to play my games, right?

Right?

Attached: 1445907154732.gif (540x300, 2.59M)

>meanwhile it's still the most used OS in the world
You're not from the fucking future and you don't know what the landscape will be in two years. If you are from the future, then post something actually useful like stock tips instead of shitposting.