Couldn't find the stupid questions general so I'm just going to ask here

Couldn't find the stupid questions general so I'm just going to ask here.

Is it common for a 5 years old hard drive to just die all of the sudden?

Attached: 1510234964.gif (480x270, 392K)

make/model/SMART data/where was it running (humid/hot/cold) etc.

Nope, unless it's has like 3 platers and made by Seagate.

Attached: 1444150979045.png (1098x1645, 1.09M)

Depends in the HDD, and what kind of failure.
Always check SMART every now and then.

>made by Seagate.
stupid meme is stupid. seagate drives are fine.

Drives can fail at any moment

Not five years ago.

The more Satania you post, the sooner your drive will die. She's corrupting your hard disk.

It was a !TB WD.
I was updating my Solidworks programm, went to do some stuff around the house and when I came back there was a black screen with "insert a bootable hard drive" or something. I restarted the computer and it went into windows fine but whenever i tried to open a program it would say it was corrupted, it would start get slower until completely freezing adn throwing me back to the black screen above.

2 weeks ago I tried to clean and format the computer myself because I was tired paying someone 50 bucks for it and I though I did it pretty well, but i'm not goo a cable management so some of the fan cables where touching the HDD, could that be the reason?

Attached: superthumb.jpg (300x250, 19K)

By the way the bios doesn't recognize it anymore.

Make a Linux USB, boot into it, check HDD info.

restore from backups.

since this is sqt i have a new question

how the fuck is this happening

Attached: whatthefuckamilookingat.png (947x598, 93K)

Devilish

in my experience, hard disks fail after a few years; SSDs live way longer

your path is fucked or you rm -rf /'d

That happened to my old 200GB Maxtor. I kept it oriented vertically on its side for 5 years, then reoriented it horizontally for a few days, then clicks of death and OS crash. I believe you should pick one orientation from the start and stick with it.

> Seagate

yeppers i have had 5 friends who came to me all begging for data recovery from their 2tb seageates... they were nasty... even ate wedding photos

funny how i still have some 500gb WD 2.5inch portables usb drives i bash around in my bag daily from 2005 ! tough mother fuckers ....

>one of my drives had bad SMART data for almost 10 years and still works

you should make backups every month though

get a tool with differential backup or it'll take fucking eons

trying out veeam agent right now

Attached: 1539531235332.jpg (1280x720, 389K)

dude, my fucking 1-year-old barracuda drive shit the bed all of a sudden. my pc froze, when i rebooted it loaded but everything was slow as fuck, the next time it didn't even load the os and i couldn't install anything anymore on it.

so yeah, i'd say it's normal. now i'm stuck with a fucking 11 years old 160gb drive.

Attached: Screen_Shot_20180611_at_8.39.14_PM.png (2294x1222, 3.3M)

Is /home/jack/.local/bin in your path?

Funny thing... I have old segates that still live and all my wd's died on me in two or so years. Luck of a draw I guess.

To answer your question; it is extremely common for hard drives to fail randomly. You didn't do anything wrong except not keep backups.

Grieve, and then set up a proper storage solution with real backups so it doesn't happen again. Because you will lose drives. It's up to you if you lose data though.

F, may your data rest in peace, and inspire you to backup more consistently in future.