/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

>Read (Cross-thread)

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Programming questions?
>Smartphone purchasing advice?
>Windows questions?
Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4 (embed)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j (embed)
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt (embed)
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7 (embed)
pastebin.com/1PcnaQS5 (embed)

Attached: 1512337896757.jpg (460x971, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B007GMPZ0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/Kingston-240GB-Solid-SA400S37-240G/dp/B01N5IB20Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531797007&sr=8-1&keywords=Kingston SA400S37
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

FIRST QUESTION
what vile prank am i currently on the receiving end of?

Attached: huh.png (947x598, 93K)

Old thread (since you forgot to add it):

Differences between OpenPGP and GnuPG?

is there a good program like puush for windows 10?

What's up with lainchan?

Do they make modern 4:3 monitors or something similar anymore? i'd like something with more than 60hz, even 75hz would work

Have you ever been mellow?

How do I sort all my dotfiles and configs? It seems everyone else but me know how to neatly organize their shit and back it up using git, while I am still doing things the hard way.

Attached: ExplodingPupper.webm (500x500, 508K)

Is it worth it to buy a warranty for every component in a new computer rig. examples would be CPU, Motherboard, RAM,SSD,HDD, PSU, GPU and the case?

pls answer
Aren't they both free software?

Attached: Touhou - Please respond!.jpg (750x750, 180K)

Not an expert but i do know that "open" and "free" mean two different things. Unity desktop environment was "open" software. You could read through it, have it audited, contribute to it, all of that. But you weren't allowed to redistribute it and all of your contributions were automatically property of Canonical. Something like the Linux kernel, which is "free" software is completely open for you to do anything you like with it. Your contributions, spinoffs, patches, etc are not automatically property of Linus Torvalds, unlike those with Unity.

Hope that helps.

I was dual booting linux and windows until I got a new hard drive. Now I want to have each os in a different drive.
I already installed linux in the new drive so now I only need to remove linux from the old drive. If I where to simply remove it then I'd break grub and would need to repair windows with the installation disk to boot properly but, if possible, I'd like to avoid that.
Is there another way to remove linux and have windows boot properly?

Is the C270 good enough for facial recognition?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-16 0002 png (PNG Image, 700 × 359 pixels).png (271x212, 21K)

B-but, how are they different? Are they both not free? I understand the differences between open and free, btw.

Blend or small fft on Prime95 to stress test my overclock?

Lads, what's the easiest way to download youtube videos in any format on chrome?

In Debian I could just type in
p7zip *
and all the folders would be 7zipped into their own archive
How can I do that in manjaro?

How do I encode a 4 GB movie into a 1 GB~ one with least loss of quality? mkvtoolnix, ffmpeg, whatever.

I don't know anything about OpenPGP and GnuPG, sorry. But i can be sure that GnuPG is free software, so maybe openPGP is open software but not free?

Handbreak has a few presets in it

Switching ISPs and need a new modem. Buying mine outright now means I get the service for just 10 shekels a month. What features should I look for in the new modem? Any recommended models? My budget is $100.

Attached: 1527652166492.jpg (231x219, 8K)

Do any of you know where I can find a genuine 64bit ISO of either Office 2007 or Office 2010? I want one that is genuine and untouched, with MDA5 and SHA1 sums to prove it. I am leery of downloading from that Techbench site, despite the claims of them being from the now defunct MSDN database.

Anyone, please?

Speed? Cable or RJ11? speeds?
Modem or router? both are different.

What kind of connection?

Need it to do routing and WiFi too, or just modem?

You could use this, 21 is great.
ffmpeg -i yourfile.mp4 -crf [0-63] out.mp4

I have a usb wifi adapter, and am thinking about getting a pci express one.
Is there a way to see the speed I am getting on my pc while using a usb wifi adapter to compare it to the pci express one?

Run Speedtest.net.
And the huge difference between a USB and a PCIe adapter will be latency.

Dont buy the cheap $17 TPLink ones if you have 50Mb/s internet.

will google alert the fbi if i store my hentai on drive?

I did that, but I keep thinking that its only giving me the general speed of the WAP (or at least being generous)

I am thinking about getting this
amazon.com/gp/product/B007GMPZ0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

yay or nay?

Yeah that one is good.

Thanks mate

Some sort of coaxial cable for the phone lines I assume, and then Ethernet for hooking to the router. And yes, I am looking for a modem. I don't know my speeds since this service came with my house lease. It's mediocre at best and so any decent modem should be able to take full advantage of it.

Just modem. I already own a router. I have to give back my current one that's on lease from the ISP.

do hybrid drives convey any performance increase if the only thing you have on them are games larger than the 8gb they have available as ssd?

Attached: 1502741675972.jpg (850x661, 147K)

locate the package and link it to somewhere contained in PATH.

What about it?

write a small bash script that copies them all to a folder, and pushes them to github, then run the script every week or everytime you make big changes.

just live boot, chroot into your linux partition, and remake grub. Its not hard, just annoying but you only gotta do it once.

you buy it.

No, they are a scam.
They are the bad parts of SSDs together with the bad parts of HDDs, they aren't worth it, for a reason they never got popular.

thank you very much!

thank you friend

What's the best means of looking up info on someone via email address? Google only yields so much, and other sources which claim to bring up social media profiles, etc. seem sketchy.

pipl.com

Are kingston sdds worth it? I have heard conflicting opinions on it.
On one side kingston did a dick move and marketed their sdd at certain speed but sold them being slower and they are apparently still cleaning their stock of them so it's possible to get one of those.
On the other hand others say it doesn't really matter which sdd you get and the speed difference is barely noticeable.
I have never had an sdd before so I'm not sure what speeds to expect and also am a poorfag so only after seeing a deal of one of them I'm considering buying one but I don't know if it is worth it. I know I can't afford to buy a better one so if it's not a good deal, I won't buy it.
This is the sdd I am considering to buy, the SA400S37/240G amazon.com/Kingston-240GB-Solid-SA400S37-240G/dp/B01N5IB20Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531797007&sr=8-1&keywords=Kingston SA400S37

Not really, not only for their speeds but because they are more likely to fail with no warnings than other SSDs, for a reason they are really cheap.

If you need a cheap SSD that wont die randomly on you buy an ADATA SU800.

I live in a place with clean power. Do I still need ups?

this good?

Attached: tism.png (1522x614, 441K)

Does the clean power ever go away abruptly? If yes, you need one.

>tism
Im on the drug that killed river phoenix

>Rj-11

Who still uses dsl?

is either side of black electrical tape conductive?

Attached: black electrical tape.jpg (500x500, 18K)

greenshot or sharex

Let me rephrase: if I take some electrical tape and stick it over the surface of a laptop motherboard, will I have problems?

American and Canadian ISPs.

No in 95% of black electrical tapes, the other 5% is the one that has a conductive side for special stuff but its not your standard cheap tape.

Headphone related question - one side of the headphone stops working due to fucked 3.5mm jack or wire that connects to it (it works only at cetain angles). I get it replaced by an electronics repair service and afterwards the frequency response or outright gain (or both) is different on separate sides.
When my other pair did the same thing, i went to a really high end repair shop and said that price doesn't matter, but i needed a good repair. They said i shouldn't worry, but the same fucking thing happened, though they didn't charge much.

Why? Is it a resistance caused by solder amount? Can this shit be avoided? I remember doing the same fucking thing in my father's workshop as a kid, and it worked fine, but now i'm at uni and can't do it. It's really important to me since i produce music and while gain problem can be tweaked, mixing a track is a nightmare with problems like different frequency response.

>inb4 buy new headphones
I got these high end phillips ones as a gift, but am a poorfag

thanks user

Anyone else getting these steepto ads leaking through ublock at the bottom of Jow Forums lately? Tried updating/reinstalling ublock but no good, so wondering if it's a known issue or just something on my end.

The glue will cause problems with the slightest bit of heat (like that from a motherboard)

Are you using 4chanX?
Also enable all the ad filter lists in uBlock Origin.

Go to settings>Filter lists>Enable everything in the ad section, remember to click the + sign to show the other 2 hidden lists

Is Acer considered a good company

>Are you using 4chanX?
Yes
>Also enable all the ad filter lists in uBlock Origin.
Aight will try it. Enabled the other 3 hidden ones though will take some time to see if it worked since the ads showing up at the bottom was kind of hit or miss only happened sometimes. They tend to load after the whole rest of the page a few seconds later it says "loading" and then a little adbar pops up so I assumed they had some kind of weird bypassing in place

Not had them for about a month now using Chromium (which is not as effective as Firefox's uBlock Origin)

I got a USB A to C OTG adapter to use with a USB C to A cable (so I can do OTG with C to C). It only works in one direction, like this: sender -> adapter -> USB A (cable) USB C -> receiver
I've tested with two cables.

is this how it's supposed to work or is there a faulty cable or adapter?

Enable advanced settings in the settings tab.
Post what is connecting to your current Jow Forums tab where ads show.
This is what it looks like to me.

Attached: ublock (2).png (505x396, 27K)

I only have 256GB flash drive which, can I format this to FAT32 for BIOS flashing?

Do I need to use Rufus or something?

Create a 4GB FAT32 partition as the first partition, leave the rest unformulated or formated as another partition.

Is it worth putting muh gaymes on an SSD?

Attached: 1529025105733.png (128x128, 5K)

is 144hz a meme?

i feel like an idiot still playing at 1080p 60hz

A quick Google search says 90hz is the threshold for all but a few people.

Is there any real world difference between a 1ms and 4ms monitor? Is it even possible to perceive the 3ms difference?

Yes.

Jow Forums
I'm fucking around with some different ideas right now with my switch and it's audio

So as many of you know there's an FM app on your android. Has anyone gone so far as to use an FM tuner on their TV/Switch/whatever and casted it throughout the house or however far it can go? I was trying that out with my phone but the connection is static as fuck. But it works decently, the only thing I want to do is turn it up. It may also be that this version sucks too. It is about 5 years old.

anyways, has anyone tried that trick out with the Bluetooth adapter and bluetooth headphones yet? I've seen some things on youtube about it.

New thought
can 2 FM tuners work together?
What if I have a USB FM tuner and an AUX transmitter. Do they work together?

What's even a good general online retailer for electronics anymore? Tigerdirect? Newegg?

I refuse to support Amazon's bullshit anymore.

My friend doesn't know much about computers, but he's looking for a laptop that can run CS:GO and TF2. Those are the only games he plays, so he doesn't really care for high-end specs. Any suggestions for laptops?

A used T440 with a GT 730m for something cheap.
>Must be new
A laptop that isnt HP with an AMD A8 or A12 CPU.
Or better, a Ryzen 2300 or 2500U.

my Disc (c:) is constantly red even though my pc is almost empty, actualizations are off...what to do?

Attached: 1529894943574.jpg (1338x1902, 2.22M)

Run WinDirStat.

Any laptops specifically? He was thinking about getting an ASUS VivoBook F510UA, but I seriously doubt he needs to spend that much for what he requires.

How do I fix this

Attached: IMG_20180717_094738_HDR.jpg (4160x3120, 1.53M)

so I need to run pic related to fix my screen tearing issue and want to run it once right after mate starts.
I can't put it into bashrc because it would run everytime a new terminal opens and black out the screen for half a sec.
Can anyone recommend me a good place to put this?

Attached: screenfix.png (803x112, 11K)

While it would be a good laptop its not exactly good for games.
Anything without a GPU wont run games properly.

Open msconfig.
Boot tab.
Delete the secondary install.
I assume you installed windows over a old install.

press enter, ya idiot

Yeah, I figured as much, since the graphics coprocessor was marked N/A. Any recommendations for specific laptops?

Thanks user. That was very helpfull

No shit

I want to turn my pc into a retro gaming station, but I'm too afraid of getting viruses.

I have an external SSD. What are the odds of a virus infecting my PC if I boot Linux from the SSD and dl + run all the shit from there ? Perhaps even firejail everything too

sudo pacman -S p7zip

Any good cheap gaming laptops for Prime Day?

Acer Helios 300

Can you get banned for buying up a shitload of dash buttons for a buck each to get the $5 credit on each one?

I got 20 of them last prime day but not sure if I should risk it again. Was nice basically buying $120 in credit for 20 bucks though ($5 per button plus $1 per button digital credit for no rush shipping, though I eventually sold the digital credit off for $15 paypal so it really came out to $115 for $20) and the buttons themselves are a neat little toy if you bind them with AutoNotification/Tasker and use them to trigger various shit

Looking for something less expensive. My friend wants a new, cheap laptop that can run CS:GO and TF2. Not sure if Prime Day has good deals for laptops for that or if there are cheaper alternatives.

The Nokia 7 Plus bootloader can be unlocked(if you pay 5 dollars). But rooting it afterwards is a bit convoluted and updating the phone afterward is tough. I'll wait for Android P and do it then.

ASUS FX504 is $699 with prime day deal. $650 with try prime free promo.
1050/i5 8300 should get around 100 fps on csgo and tf2 with medium settings/1080p.

Best deal out there right NOW for an ultra portable 2 in 1?

Attached: 1306209114968.jpg (300x300, 22K)

How do you set up uBlock Origin so all JS is blocked by default?

Attached: DB9BEAEA-8115-41A6-B850-7A5AE1719B5A.png (756x715, 889K)

>ultra portable 2 in 1
just why

Because I don't have a tablet or a laptop and not everyone wants an over 5 pound thinkpad?

Reposting my question here.

Attached: 720791af86914bc8969a3edbd94f81853eed079853f2a6e1fa6b7df84b67b968.jpg (850x693, 88K)

globally (left-column) block (red) all scripts (inline, 1st party, 3rd party) and then allow per site (right-column)

Attached: screenshot.jpg (382x387, 46K)

Thank you.
Is it just those 3 to block globally?
Can I ignore "3rd-party" and "3rd-party frames" or would it be wise to also disable those by default?

how do i make win10 explorer look like win7/xp
this looks like dogshit
also how do i make "my computer" only show me the drives and not all this other crap
tried classicshell, werks nice for the start menu but the rest is still garbage

Attached: wangblows.png (783x635, 36K)