/hsg/ - Home server general

/hsg/ - Home server general

My last one caught me sleeping edition.

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
The general opinion minus some details are that WD Greens are enough if you deactivate parkdrive, and WD Red are Green overpriced. Also Toshiba and HGST are pretty good.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freshports.org/sysutils/i2c-tools/
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Synology-DiskStation-DS216se-ohne-Festplatten_1016346.html
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Synology-DS218-2bay_1217579.html
youtube.com/watch?v=t_P203uaAkU
youtube.com/watch?v=pXfrfbw4LXQ
baarf.dk/
amazon.com/Kingwin-Enclosure-Internal-Support-Optimized/dp/B01HE4A0DG/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ignore bixnoob butthurt of people calling rapi server and his need of validation

Gonna build a NAS with Windows server.
>baby needs his GUI and creature comforts

At least use freenas, unless you will run a windows specific application on the server and you don't want to deal with VM

Main reason is JBOD as I add single drives over time. Main functions will be serving Plex, remote backup for a synology, NVR recordings, and general storage.

Freenas can handle most of it. It have a native Plex server and remote backup and NVR wouldn't be hard to set up. It have a very intuitive interface and a lot documentation and tutorials. I still recommend it over windows server. The less you have to deal with Microsoft bullshit, the more reliability you have.

BIXNIGGER HERE

FUK OFF NIGR
>NEEDLESSLY USING THE CLI TO NAVIGATE THOUGH MULTIPLE SUBFOLDERS WHEN A COMFY GUI IS FAR QUICKER
KILL U'RESELVES
I BET U DONT EVEN RUN IT ON ENTERPRISE HARDWARE FAGGOT
>JBOD
FUCKING KIKE,
>NOT USING RAID 6, WITH NODE REDUNDANCY.
FUUUUCCCCCK OFF
I BET ITS NOT EVEN DATA CENTER EDITION, FUCKING POORFAG

ALL U GUYS R SHITTERS, CANT TOUCH ME WITH MY $300 5 YEAR OLD HARDWARE. ALSO LOOK AT ALL THESE SERVICES I RUN FOR MY NETWORK OF 2 COMPUTERS

Attached: 1509294045438.jpg (630x630, 43K)

Freenas, UnRaid or Snapraid?

>5 years old

More like 10, nigger

Also, you forgot his 2,000$ ups that will fail in the same time as a 500$, but he believes that will last 10 because Muh Enterprise

What will be your use case? Just file server?

Up to 54TB now lads and starting to run out of physical space. What do, upgrade the old 4TB to 10TB drives or stop being so autistic in hoarding?

>stop being so autistic in hoarding
This was never an option.

>Stop hoarding

Are you mad? Don't do that
Keep those obscure torrents going

Thanks mates doubt myself sometimes.

Someone is selling this sun ultra 450, 60$, I am considering getting it just to fiddle around.

Attached: Screenshot_20180717-105358.jpg (943x873, 475K)

What are you storing?

I sold one of the R720s I got from work for $700, and built an R710 that benches the same and only uses 20W more power for $200. Why is nahelem gear so perfect?

Attached: CramIt_IMG_20180716_19263450720180716_192714.jpg (2952x5248, 1.6M)

cute loli

I was letting the dust settle since the salty fag was really active, but I guess I will tripfag on the next threads.

Waste of space and money

can this do water cooling?

Hello, I would like to get an NAS and a HTPC what is the cheapest option if i want to stream 1080p and seed about a dozen tb of torrents?

...no? Why would you want that?

Watercooling is not an enterprise solution
>t. bixnood

What do you plan to use for the htpc? Plex, Kodi, emby? Do you want transcode for your media? Do you want to do it on a single unit or you want a NAS and a htpc on your living room?

I just dont know if it has that many benifits over air cooling in the 2U formfactor. Hard to squeeze a radiator into that size and shape. Plus, servers run 24/7 and need a lot of uptime. Having a pump running that long, plus a bunch of liquid in cheap rubber fittings seems like a recepie for disaster.

Air cooling is more reliable. Water will only be better with your CPU would run full tilt 24/7 and the air cooling can't keep the CPU from throttle.

Probably Kodi, no, getting everything from PTs so really no need to. I think I'd like to do it on a single unit, maybe separate them later. I want a seed box and an htpc if i can do them both for a reasonable amount of money in the same machine that's what i'd like to do for now then later seperate them have two sets of it for backups.

See, I am even dubious that watercooling is _that_ much better than air cooling for high workloads.

The bulk of the cost will come from the hard drives. Put as much as you want. Get a Dell h310 controller for them from eBay, 60$ + cables. Pick the OS that you feel most confortable using, the best would be freenas or other Linux flavor, for less windows bullshit and more reliability. The cpu can be any decent i5, go for the most ram that you can if you are going to do raid(1150 platform would be the best one for this, ddr3 are still affordable). I would go for a Chromecast or a raspi to transmit kodi from the nas/kodi server to the TV.

You can go even cheaper and get a sata card with 8 ports from aliexpress

If we are talking about 300watts+ from the cpu(or cpus), and a ambient without A.C., so yes, the water could do a better job, but with more maintenance/downtime and less reliability. Air is the way to go.

>steal parts from work
Enjoy getting fired. Unethical pieces of shit like you belong homeless.

I was all excited yesterday and made a post in here about my ssh shitbox, only to realize 5 minutes later that I had been ssh-ing to my own local machine rather than my server.
Is there some reason why I'm not able to communicate between two machines connected by ethernet? Do I need to set up some router software for them to be able to communicate?

Who said stole? We have a two year refresh cycle. I pick up stuff heading to the trash.

What is the IP address range on the interface you have directly connected to the other machine? Is it different than your LAN? It should be. If your home LAN IP range is like 192.168.1.0/24, make the range for your little lab 192.168.2.0/24 or whatever, give the interface on your machine the IP of 192.168.2.2 and the IP on the interface of the other machine 192.168.2.3.

I know this isn't really the topic for the general but what are some remote relay solutions for turning off lights in a home? I have sunken spot lamps that I want to trigger remotely and a light at the other end of the room.

Thanks user, I was overlooking this bit, I'm not very experienced with networking.

Buy chink switchs with WiFi . There are plenty on aliexpress

About to start my journey into home servers, installing emby, syncthing, transmission and openvpn onto an old laptop. Probs gonna use docker and debian. Wish me luck!

This was meant to

If you want your server to have network access, you will have to configure routing, network sharing, or packet forwarding on your main computer. That is fairly easy to do depending on your OS.

good luck
should be easy enough

Someone experienced in Freebsd can show me how to load the i2c module? The only information I can find about it seems to be related to raspberry pi's

freshports.org/sysutils/i2c-tools/

Going on a trip next month, what's the best resource for streaming movies from my home server to my laptop?

sftp.

This user again, everything is working now. Just had to set up the subnet and configure iptables.

Never had NAS before but I want to have one now.
What's a good way to start? I thought about getting a 2-bay Synology or similar but I don't really know what exactly I need.
Usage will be mostly media like BD-rips, flac or some data storage, I want to run it on LAN trough my router.
This is what I've been looking at:
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Synology-DiskStation-DS216se-ohne-Festplatten_1016346.html
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Synology-DS218-2bay_1217579.html
Will the 216 be enough or should I get the 218?
Also which HDDs are recommended, thought about HGST Deskstar NAS or WD Red.

Who here using configuration management tools to provision their homelab?

Puppet, Chef, Salt (god tier), etc

I've been thinking of setting up a server once I move.
Currently think this is the functionality I would want: access to all the functionality anywhere, VM or pi connected to VPN for torrents, able to make specific files available to others, NAS with 30+TB, encrypted backup to cloud, 5 or 10 min UPS incase of powerloss.
Build a something to access it in one place and some automation on the backend to tie it together? Use torrents to share files so I don't compromise my IP? Maybe go full autismo and archive all the pages I go to? Oranization with tags and folder structure or some other way? What more am I missing?

Gonna be a journey for sure

if its just data storage the 216 will do you fine
Just get the cheapest HDD with decent warranty back backup.

I've got a folder of hundreds of badly named powershell scripts, does that count?

cryptomater is good for cloud backups. better to offsite backup to your parents house though, large amount of cloud storage is expensive.

Also start using private trackers if you are serious about it user. you'll be saving yourself a lot of money.

plex

If a lightning struck nearby powerlines a backup at my parents place might be too close

get a ups then?

Lightning strikes shouldn't be in your risk analysis. Your Jamal assessment should however.

Absolutely no niggers in my area

lightning striking utility poles shouldn't matter at all. every home/apartment has a ground pole nearby that prevents this from being a thing.
Even a simple surge protector would suffice if youre really concerned

Then your only concern should be house burning down, tornado or meteorite.

Attached: 1529215868263.gif (360x199, 2.07M)

You are too paranoic

Not only plain data, also BD-, flac, etc to stream to PC and TV but DS216 + 2x 4TB WD Red will be fine regardless, right?

If you are using the nas to transcode you're going to need a beefier CPU on your nas, I'd go as far as to say roll your own NAS if you plan on transcoding hdr bluray rips. dont think any synology bar maybe the $800> ones will be capable

yes, the wd reds will be fine, if a little pricey

Transcode etc I do on my PC, the NAS will be storage for playback over LAN only.
>if a little pricey
What do you recommend instead, simple Blues?

>Synology
youtube.com/watch?v=t_P203uaAkU

Make sure you are transcosing in a format capable for your tv then.

Pretty much, WD refurbs are decent for the price and come with a years warranty, better to have redundancy build in rather than just buying more reliable/expensive drives.

he had an opportunity to replace that broken ass atom under warranty and never.

it's his own fault

Do I need FreeNAS or can I just use Ubuntu to create SMB shares?

Every os supports SMB shares

Nehalem (well, Westmere) really is great. Cheap as hell and with most of the modern features that you'd want from later processors. Sure they added a few more instructions, but by Westmere you had:

No more FSB
Memory controller on CPU, with 3 channels
DDR3 support
QPI to link processors and chipset
PCIe Gen2
Good virtualization support
AES-NI

They really blew the Core 2 era stuff out of the water, and aside from some minor power savings I can't justify the expense of SB, IB, or anything later. You can get complete working Nehalem/Westmere servers from eBay for $50 shipped. Also, one thing that is nice if you just need a ton of PCIe lanes, you can find systems with two 5520 chipsets bolted together and have a shit ton of lanes even with a single processor installed, unlike later processors. Proliant DL370 G6 servers are a good example of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=pXfrfbw4LXQ
>Guy built an exhaust box for his server
Nice idea. I also noticed when my server is on it makes the room 10 degrees more hot. Perfect in the winter. Sucks during summer.

>>JBOD
>FUCKING KIKE,
>>NOT USING RAID 6, WITH NODE REDUNDANCY.
>FUUUUCCCCCK OFF

god you're a dumb nigger aren't you.

seen that one before, he really needs to upgrade a little to avoid having a 600w space heater running 24/7

Fuck off, bixnood.

here you might learn something if you rub a few braincells together baarf.dk/

>build a NAS
>most HDDs can now do 200MB/s with worst case of 100MB/s
>gigabit network limits everything to less than 120MB/s
>can't take advantage of RAID read performance
... cheap 10GbE when?

Cheap 10GbE has been around for years now what rock have you been living under?

>Specify you question
please fix

buy 2x 10gbe NIC's, one for server, one for desktop($60 total). 10gbe cable = $10~20

The 10gbe switch is going to be the most expensive part. shit is $1k+. Better off doing a P2P connection.(cable goes from server to directly to desktop)

Going P2P kinda defeats the purpose of a NAS.

Unless you buy multiple NICs and build your own 10GbE switch/router too, which might not actually be that bad of an idea. Hmmm.

Am I retarded?
Looking to get a SAS backplane but all the ones I see that claim to have SAS support only show SATA connectors on the back Like the link below. Does this shit work? It sketches me out buying a SAS breakout to SATA then taking it back to SAS with the back plane
Also Will I realistically hit 12Gb/s? with my drives? I've got 4 12Gb/s adn 4 6Gb/s But all the back planes / Enclosures I see are 6 Gb/s

amazon.com/Kingwin-Enclosure-Internal-Support-Optimized/dp/B01HE4A0DG/
/

>Going P2P kinda defeats the purpose of a NAS.
Not if you're just using it as a file server, which seems to be the case for most people here

or set up a LAG bro.

File servers generally serve multiple devices, not just one...

LAG?

Link Aggregation Group

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

Really only doable if you have multiple nics on a device, and your switch needs to support it.
I've got it setup on my desktop, and my Server, It's more useful then setting up P2P 10Gig in the fact that it has more throughput to your entire network, but not as fast as 10Gig

Oh that. Tried it years ago, didn't work out. I'll try again, thanks for the reminder.

>It sketches me out buying a SAS breakout to SATA then taking it back to SAS with the back plan
Yes. The SAS drive-side connector is almost identical to SATA. You just can't do multipath, since that's the only thing the SFF-8482 connector has that the SATA connector doesn't.
>But all the back planes / Enclosures I see are 6 Gb/s
Not sure. If it's a pure passthrough enclosure, then it doesn't necessarily determine the speed - that's just a rating for the minimum it should theoretically be able to handle. If it's a true backplane/port multiplier, then you would need to buy a 12g one.

>Not sure. If it's a pure passthrough enclosure, then it doesn't necessarily determine the speed - that's just a rating for the minimum it should theoretically be able to handle. If it's a true back plane/port multiplier, then you would need to buy a 12g one.

Right but IF I run a 12gb/s on 5, will I really be missing out on much? Can drives even hit that threshold?

I set up a 100TB ubuntu server install with snapraid and mergerfs. I have smartmontools sending me e-mails if any smart errors occur, but is there any web GUI dashboard solution I can look at for HDD info, stats, % full, SMART info, etc?

Grafana should work for you.
Or ELK but ELK is probably overkill.

Look into docker implementations, it's a good way to learn, and a way to (sort of) easily deploy services you're unfamiliar with