/spg/ - Smart Phone General

BLACKEDberry edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

>Verizon users
Ask to compare between phones that are supported in the Verizon's website, it has basically anything that works. They dont really support chinkphones like oneplus 6, xiaomi, huawei, etc nor they do play nice with unlocked phones unless they're Motorola's or Essentials

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread Should I get a used BLACKEDberry BLACKED edition for $300 or a Keytwo for $650?

Attached: file.png (754x769, 1.09M)

>Should I get a used BLACKEDberry BLACKED Edition for $300 or a Keytwo for $650?
I have a KEYOne, and I've touched KEY2 - the keyboard is much better, but I wouldn't pay 650 bucks for it. Either wait for a price drop within a year like it was with KEYOne or get a KEYOne bronze/black in the meantime. It's a good phone.

Attached: 27d9f6d28a2aacc6c9b4b5a8946c8d1b86ddf729cc1e7a3baf07e66c1f24e867.jpg (30x24, 750)

What makes the keyboard better?
I read that it's harder to use the keytwo as a trackpad and I also read you could swipe to type on the physical keyboard, that instantly sold it for me!

The vertical distance between keys help, the fact that it's not glossy is also nice. And typing with one hand on KEYOne is tricky - the phone is top-heavy, so it's hard to type and hold it at the same time, the KEY2 is better since it's not as top heavy. They really improved the typing experience.

How do I pick ROM for my MI MIX?
I just want something with most recent Android, most customisation, without bloatware and somehow stable.

Also does anyone know if ARCore support is just matter of Andoid Oreo or its hardcoded to work only with selected devices?

The price is inexcusable right now.

Official LineageOS without Gapps

Yup, but it would drop so who cares

>Should I get a used BLACKEDberry BLACKED edition for $300 or a Keytwo for $650?
>spending more than $50 on a phone

Attached: 1304376955947.png (500x375, 299K)

What's a /good/ price for Redmi Note 4 / 5 3/32GB? i.e how much does it cost when it's on sale.

Gegone poorfag
The hardware is worth 300$, it's 4GB RAM and a keyboard that no other phone has. My PC keyboard alone is 200$, and I would pay that much for a phone keyboard if there is one on the market.

Attached: n900.jpg (474x368, 25K)

What are the risks of unlocked bootloaders?

Anything would be able to modify /system without being spotted. Root is always a risk, but it's very inflated.

I've got a BLACKED keyone and it's pretty nice. I spend most of my time in SSH, Clover, or Android messages so the keyboard gets plenty of use. For emulation there's no competition, having a keyboard to map keys to frees up screen space that would've been used for virtual keys. For DS emulation it's especially comfy since the 2:3 screen ratio is exactly that of two stacked 4:3 screens and no virtual controls mean I can actually use the touchscreen for its intended purpose.

Yeah, it will work,
Just make a mi account and request the unlock code as soon as you can, because you have to wait 360 hours or so,
And if you want to root make sure to use magisk from xda developer (it's open source) and not something like supersu, kingoroot or something (shady, owned by some chinese company)

Well you would love KEY2 then because the keyboard is much better, the hardware is improved, but everything else is kept, so it's a straight upgrade without any downsides

>Gegone
kek
and I'm not a poorfag, I just don't see the point in wasting $XXX every year on something that will be obsolete anyways. You can grab a cheap smartphone on cricket for $20 that will literally do everything a normal person would typically need

~120€ from chinaman, 20-30€ more purchased locally.

I have small hands, I want one-handed operation and I don't consume much media through my phone. The original SGS was the perfect size and the last phone I had that matched it was the SGS4 mini. That had bonus points for SD card and removable battery too.

At $650 I'd rather wait. I bought my keyone at $499 and I'd likely do the same with the key2 once it drops that low.

Same here. It was a pain to find a 4.5in phone with SD card and removable battery. I finally settled on the J1 2016 and have been very pleased with it.

>I just don't see the point in wasting $XXX every year
There is a saying "a greedy man pays twice", it applies to your argument. First off, even the KEYOne has 4GBs of RAM and is getting Oreo, so it will last 4-5 years from now, because it is pretty decent. But a 50$ phone that would be past the point of relevance already when you buy it is a thing you do need to change every year, yeah. And also "everything a normal person typically need" is the lowest common denominator, it's the bare minimum expected from the phone. I want my phone to be above that, because I am spending a considerable amount of time every day using it - I want it to be comfy and feel good, I don't want it to just barely fit the purpose. It's not like 300$ on a phone is a big deal anyway, especially for the quality you are getting. I've been using Photon Q for 2 years, and that thing was just 150$, but it had the best keyboard ever. Too bad they never made a good followup.

Attached: 1483812455465.png (225x227, 119K)

Ruh-roh, someone got triggered about their expensive toy :^)
How am I being greedy? It's called frugality, not greed. I typically get 3 to 4 years on my cheap phones so I'm not paying twice on anything. If you don't bog your phone down with 50 million apps and keep it clean, it will last a few years no problem. But I'm very thankful that you big spenders waste $300 to $600 on these toys because that makes entry-level phones actually pretty descent. Because a $20 phone, while 15 times cheaper than a $300 phone, it is definitely not 15 times less performance or quality, maybe 2 or 3 times less, which is hardly noticeable for someone like me who doesn't stay glued to the phone 24/7 like an needy instagram whore.

>How am I being greedy?
The meaning of this saying is that if you go cheap the cheap thing would break down faster. Well, congrats on your 3-4 years on a 50$ phone, for me it would be the browser that kills it in a year. Also there is a considerable gap between 300$ and 600$ but whatever. There is no physical keyboard on a 50$ phone anyway.

Is ZTE Nubia Z17 still worth ? and is there hope for a update to Oreo

Attached: ThinkNoose.png (256x256, 27K)

Cheap does not have to mean poor quality. Samsung makes great entry-level phones for a good price. And why would you want a physical keyboard on a phone? That's just a bunch of moving parts that can break.

Is there any good enough $50 phone? Genuinely curious

Should I root my Nexus 6?
Is Oreo worth the root?

Looks good, thanks.

Anyone know about the ARCore? ()

People really struggle understanding that just because a phone has good specs on paper, does not mean it'll last long. There are a whole slew of issues that will arise if you opt for cheaper phones - and of note, when I say cheaper, I don't mean in a pure money sense. You could buy an LG at launch for $800 and that shit will still give you issues (idk if they've fixed them, sworn off them as a brand tbqh).
You really have to look at build quality, software quality, and software maintenance but unfortunately that requires a lot more effort and people just want a decision made for them NOW - so they go for whatever phone is being shilled like crazy around here, typically a xiaomi device even though they've proven time and time again they're not afraid to cut build quality corners, push out shit updates, and keep relatively new devices on ancient android versions while pushing their own shitty version scheme.

I really really regret preordering with amazon gift cards rather than just going to best buy. I'm so tempted to just cancel it and go buy one at best buy, but i'll never get my money back from amazon since gift cards.

never again.

Attached: file.png (1001x559, 193K)

The more I look at the phone the more I start seeing an all-screen phone in a case with a keyboard on it.

Mi 8 or Oneplus 6?
The lack of headphone jack on the Mi 8 is a big bummer, but on the other side the price and camera seems to be better on the Mi 8.
Also, judge me as much as you want, but I do enjoy the MIUI botnet.
The Oneplus 6 has a headphone jack and the alert slider looks useful, but it's pricier for pretty much exactly the same specs.

I was done with Xiaomi after the Redmi 2. When it was new, it did everything I needed, but the problem was that it just didn't last. The soldering on the WiFi antenna was atrocious, the phone began randomly rebooting after a year of use (this was not fixed by a software reset), and the battery was also worthless after about a year. Just about the only good thing about it was you could flash away MIUI with something decent, but the already marginal camera quality suffered dearly as a result (under less than ideal conditions it honestly looked worse than my sister's iPhone 3GS). Fucking thing died completely less than 2 years after I bought it. And yes, I bought it because of Jow Forums's shilling. Sometimes that works out (Thinkpad, Seiko SARB), sometimes it doesn't (Xiaoshit).

I bought a 32GB iPhone 5s on the cheap as a "temporary" phone, and I've ended up using it for over a year and a half. Unless you must own a new device, the ancient iPhone is superior in almost every way, and the official support is brilliant. Plus the size is more palatable than the gigantic shit Xiaomi is peddling now.

P20 pro or S9+?

Attached: 1531790384998.jpg (1024x683, 116K)

just pulled the trigger on the nokia 6.1 because of amazon's prime shilling day. pretty excited lads.

Attached: Screenshot_20180629-143025~01.png (567x743, 290K)

You'll be a lot less excited when it gets dropped from getting updates and your bootloader remains locked.

I'd get the Oneplus 6 since it's more hassle free

You don't need to spend 2 days flashing ROMs just to make it somewhat usable

Where are the manlet phones?

How do you organize your photos? Do albums feel clunky, or am I just doing it wrong? Pixel 2 XL

Samsung Galaxy J1 2016. It works amazingly well and does not feel like a $50 phone. They're $20 on cricket where I got mine. It has a removable battery that lasts me about 4 days on a charge and a SD card slot that I use for my mp3 library.

Grabbed the essential ph-1 for 250 on Amazon Jew-Day, I am ready for my Bluetooth headphone revolution, take my body.

Don't buy Redmis since those are their shitty budget phones.

XZ Compact phones.

Itoddler phones are for manlets and thots

Honor View10 $400 should I pull the trigger

Is Samshit my only option when it comes to a phone up to 300€ with OLED and reliable telephony functions?

for me, its the s9
recc me some apps and games NOW

Attached: 1531417900827.jpg (1000x1000, 1.35M)

>mobile gaming
cringe

fuck off

ok sorry :/

>That basedboy playing Zelda and boom beach on his phone

Thanks user, I'm the "should I get p20 pro or S9+?" Poster and you narrowed it elegantly

Attached: 1531699142082.jpg (994x787, 94K)

downloading boom beach right now

>No TWRP for Redmi 4 Prime
>You can compile it yourself though :)
Surely someone has compiled one for R4P already? Or is TWRP for a similar device compatible?

based

>hardware is worth $300

Why did I get a redmi 5 plus for $160 with 4gb ram and a 12mp camera then?

Z1 Compact

There is unofficial treble for it, also treble twrp

-redmi 4 prime on oreo Pixel experience user

Nokia also made shitty budget phones, but they fucking worked. I paid $50 for my Lumia 520 back in December of 2013. Great little phone. Had good battery life, was comfortably sized and was made of good materials, call quality was decent, audio quality was good, and with decent lighting the camera really, really punched above its weight. PLUS it got updates while I owned it. I had to move to Android because of the app situation, but I handed the Nokia off to my mom and she still uses it to this day. All she needs is camera, text, email and WhatsApp support, and for those things it keeps chugging along (at least for the time being). The only work I've done to this phone is a battery replacement, at the 4-year mark. Which in my books is reasonable.

So, if Nokia can make something great for $50, why the fuck can't Xiaomi remotely get their shit together on something that cost more than twice as much and came out almost two years later? Chinkshit in general just doesn't work, because Chinese people have such a piss-poor attitude toward QC

Barely used/like new older high build quality devices like iphones are great, you'll get them for much cheaper and they'll last a very long time. Typically people upgrade every year to the newest so they're desperate to get rid of it too even though they've barely actually used the device.
Just gotta do your homework before buying, xiaomi's are examples of good on paper, bad irl. Been using mine for 6 months and I can't wait to get rid of it, no amount of custom rom is going to fix how shitty this build quality is, how they refuse to release source so custom roms can fix things, and I generally don't like giving control over to a random on xda.

>Typically people upgrade every year to the newest so they're desperate to get rid of it too even though they've barely actually used the device

My friend was able to get an iPhone 7 on the cheap because of this.

>Mutual acquaintance, March 2017, posts to Facebook "omg dropped my iPhone 7, brand new now has a small fucking dent in the corner nobody but me cares about, life is ruined"
>Later, in October 2017: I HAS TO HAVE THE iPHONE X, NEED CASH ASAP SELLING MY 7
>Friend, remembering earlier Facebook post: "I would give you $400, but man, that scratch, probably not worth much more than $300 now, I'd say even that is generous"
>Acquaintance agrees to sell it for $300 because "NEED TO GET TO APPLE STORE NEED CASH"
>Gets a fucking 11-month-old phone for less than half the original retail price
>Just because of a scratch and a new model
>mfw

Don't hate the Applefags, embrace them. Feed on them and their vapidness like a vulture feeds on carrion.

Attached: 1529404445987.jpg (1280x1920, 490K)

thoughts on moto g 6?

Nokia 7+ or Xperia XA2 Ultra? Why? Or am I missing another option.

Coming off the Nexus 6 (was a tank for 4+ years btw) and I can't go back to a small babby phone. Looking for a solid replacement.

Better than redmeme 5 :)))

I'm currently on holiday in the USA I have an honor 8 and I can't connect to the network at all (Verizon) I'm stuck with 3-g AT & T or 2G T-Mobile

What the fuck

Verizon uses CDMA, Honor 8 doesn't have CDMA.

Wait for Mi Max 3

Did I don goof?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 19.59.56 copy.jpg (1410x1474, 376K)

Yes. Sorry user, next time ask first.

explain plz

you didnt buy a s9

It's not a Redmi Note 5

This is Note 9. Say something nice about it.

Attached: DiUM2p9VMAUtZhT.jpg (504x560, 38K)

Verizonfag here. Why should I consider anything bit Motorola?
>inb4 flagshit "features"
I just want a smartphone that has basic capability and doesn't cost a fortune. Fuck off with the gimmicks.
>inb4 fuck vzw
I'm not gunna argue they suck but they're literally the only service provider in this part of Montana unless I wanna pay thousands per month for a satellite.

the back is ugly but the rest is nice, the yellow pen is very ostentatious, its gonna be the airpods (woah look at that pen, that dude has a 1k phone) of android
> le basic features
> cheaping out on a SMARTphone in the internet age
yikes
wont buy a dumbphone but doesnt want le gimmicks, really makes you think

why is one camera smaller than the other

Attached: 1498452982844.jpg (312x524, 28K)

I thought that was the case

Sheeeet

Best Phone for U.S under this umbrella?

> $500 & under
> 5.8in+ screen
> good battery life
> headphone jack
> not the Nokia 7 plus

optional but preferred:

> OLED screen
> Good design
> Expandable storage

All non joke answers are appreciated, have an attractive smiling girl as thanks.

Attached: 1520821335988.webm (640x640, 1.36M)

Aperture size.

borrow 30 bucks and get OP6

ID go for the op6 because the Xiaomi will start failing in a year

haha long boy

So basically all recommendations here now boil down to
>Xiaomi something something
or
>Moto something something

heh. how did every other maker become so irrelevant?

Attached: 1531500785794.png (500x465, 192K)

I have a Moto G4. Planning to fall for the redmi note 5 meme. Should I?

s8

Smart pones are for faggots

Checked

Attached: 1529567639889.gif (500x380, 780K)

Attached: BLEH.jpg (718x718, 125K)

Checked, based, and redpilled

Attached: kenan.jpg (251x251, 19K)

ebin

Attached: 1502868567403.png (600x899, 369K)

Truly based.

So what are some decent phones under 200EUR? Do I just go for chinkshit or get something else?

put me in the reddit s᠋o᠋y᠋boy screencap

Attached: soy-640x600.png (640x600, 115K)

based and redpilled, a good get

Does it come with a dialing wand?

cheggggged :^) le bateman meme

CONFIRMED

Attached: too soon.jpg (262x221, 16K)

Witnessed. Phonelets absolutely irrevocably BLOWN the FUCK OUT

>living in a country where carrier and phone model choice have anything to do with each other
>2015 + 3