Hello, never mind us...

Hello, never mind us. Just a bunch of characters you still can't use in a file name in 2018 because of some retarded design decision Microsoft made 35 years ago.

Attached: ur9u498894.png (613x151, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: a.png (128x55, 3K)

>2018
>still using Wangblows

The only one most Unix filesystems can't use is / and it's annoying as fuck. I can't imagine not having all those other ones too

Why are those reserved characters anyway?

I'm on Windows 7 and I can use []{};`~ in file names.

Literally who cares? Why would you ever need to use those in a filename?

No you can't

I use [ and ] in particular in file names all the time.

Attached: niggers tongue my anus.png (386x212, 7K)

Attached: screenshot.png (160x76, 2K)

Brainlet

How the fuck is that annoying. It would be more annoying if it actually WAS allowed.

most retarded thing about windows is that it allows fucking whitespace in filenames, not even talking about case-sensitiveness.

I wish Unix filenames were more restricted.
Here's some good musings on this shit: dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html

What the fuck do you expect?
Do you want to type "cd le\/funny\/filename.com\/index.html"

/

>what are quotes

What if the path you enter is not the name of a file, but a series of folders?

i still don't use them on linux too because they suck

Wait, does Microsoft still exist? Lmao

Oh shit, that's a good point. Still slightly annoying though.

> ~/Documents/Coding/main.cpp

How is your computer supposed to tell if you're opening "main.cpp" inside folder "Coding", or "Coding/main.cpp" inside folder "Documents"?

That also applies to the rest of these chars.
Some shells use these characters as part of its syntax. All this is also filesystem dependent

the following regex should describe pathnames / filenames everywhere on every OS fully:
^[a-zA-Z0-9_]+$
and paths should be separated by forward-slash.

by royal decree, I sayeth, this is now a standard. bow, peasants, bow to your new sanatized filenames

Nah, the rest go in quotes

>actually someone on this shitty website recognising their mistake
are you okay user? it was nice to meet you if you're like this everyday

Attached: 1407082708983.jpg (251x226, 8K)

Its not THAT uncommon.

Always a file.
If you want to open "main.cpp" you would have to cd into ~/Documents/Coding.
Not a good idea, just saying it would be possible.

cause they can interfere with directory paths. e.g. putting a slash in a filename will cause the computer to treat the first half of the file as a folder, and the second half as a file

/ argument flags
\ path separator
* globbing
[ ] batch script operators of some sort
: dunno
; dunno
> file pipe left
< file pipe right (?)
? globbing
` command substition (?)
~ shortening file names

those filesystem naming libraries keep at least 20 people employed. are you trying to get them fired?

It's possible to get a bad filename on gnu/linux by copying stuff from another unix filesystem that allows them.
When all else fails.( i.e. rm ./filename )
stat or ls -i to find files inode number.
find . -inum [inode_number] -exec rm -i {}\;
>delete file
find -inum [inode_number] -print0 | xargs -0 -I '{}' mv '{}' new-filename
>rename file

90% of those ret/g/ards won't even get this

>be linux
>create folder called ~
>rm -rf ~
>home folder gone
fucking shit neckbeard os omg reeeeeee

Why does this bother you?

>> file pipe left

Attached: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.jpg (640x360, 36K)

[ ] has been allowed in file names in Windows for ages now.

>gimp's save-for-web plugin default filename related

Attached: [Untitled].jpg (640x360, 25K)

>tfw I like to make my anime folder names match MAL, meaning colons in them
>since I use GNU/Linux this is totally fine
>once had to copy files elsewhere for a roommate to get to them because he refuses to stop using Windows, but aside from that it's been great using proper names

Attached: *[]{}:;<>?'~.png (1322x867, 1.2M)

/ and null
/ being the directory separator, and null being the string terminator, both necessary for actually writing and storing paths. absolutely anything else it fair game, including newlines

i don't think it's unreasonable to;
- disallow non-printable ascii control characters
- enforce utf-8
- disallow newlines (i've never seen this used legitimately)
that said, things like leading dashes should stay, blocking those is microsoft-tier

I name all my files and folders random strings of letters like fiojsef.

The people that would even want to use those special characters in file names are in special needs classes anyway. Computers should not be for them.

i don't even need a files and directories tree, i work directly with inode numbers

Oh my Stalman...
>good point
Most fucking obvious thing... yeah it is GOOD POINT. But how fucking dumb you must be to not have thought about that?

>that said, things like leading dashes should stay, blocking those is microsoft-tier
For what do you want leading dashes for? Blocking them would make scripting so much easier.

because dashes are common in writing, what's wrong with me naming something "-01- song name.mp3"? just use --, it's good practice for other reasons, too

Dashes are less common in writing as a leading character and filenames aren't prose anyway. The problem is exactly that because they're possible you need to remember all these safeguards (that don't always work--not all commands understand '--') like "for file in ./*" instead of "for file in *".

i still think it's misplaced
that is, using a dash at the start of a filename is more desirable than interpreting filenames as arguments, i think the fix should be in preventing filenames from being used as arguments by mistake

>not all commands understand '--'
This doesn't really detract from your point, but basically every "library" which handles command line arguments (including the POSIX standard getopt) supports doing this.

-- basically, banning leading dashes in filenames is a workaround. a hack. it doesn't solve the real problem

as an example, should we also ban filenames like "funny kittens'); DROP TABLE something;"? because the argument against leading dashes is the same, programs interpreting the name in a way it shouldn't, it's not the name's fault

Well, the real problem ultimately is the Unix "everything is a dumb byte stream, use ad hoc parsing of text everywhere".

...and banning leading dashes, or even the double dash, is a hack around this nonsense.

i just think it's better to make safer tools, than to rely on safer inputs
if it wasn't possible to work with any kind of name, things like filesystems would fall apart

>i just think it's better to make safer tools, than to rely on safer inputs
I mean, yes, the way things are (and will be) that's what we'll have to do. But they wouldn't necessary have to be this way--it's just the Unix way.
>if it wasn't possible to work with any kind of name, things like filesystems would fall apart
Again, you're just thinking in the Unix box.