How much time do you spend researching your PC build?

Attached: 96560-7.png (800x533, 707K)

All in all around 3 months

None at all. I buy the latest Alienware.

From 3 to 6 months

maybe 3hours. doesn't take long to realise you are all idiots buying multicores and thinking it will help you in games

or that more than 8gb+ is pointless or that 10/11series is shit because it cant overclock and a 980ti with a volt mod is almost as powerful as a 1080ti but half the price or to get a CRT and not waste thousands on monitors with minor updates trying to fix the problems of LCD.

i take way more time researching things like mouse/keyboard/mouspad than any thing els spend years on end researching that stuff but im pretty sure i have optimal atm so yay.

I spend enough time on Jow Forums that I am never not researching my next PC build.

Are you fucking retarded? It doesn't take a genius, why would it take you more than 1 hour tops if you are not completely illiterate?
>or that more than 8gb+ is pointless
That depends in your uses, heavy multitasking can take up way more, for my work 8GB is unusable, between the ram hog that is Chrome, the bloated IDEs from JetBrains, VMs and other shit, less than 16GB leaves me too short.
Take your gaymer head out of your fat ass.

It's all so confusing now. Seems like it used to be higher price = better once you get past a few of the basics like AMD vs Intel and Nvidea vs Faggotry

Attached: 1530114504637.jpg (675x592, 73K)

several months or just a many hours in a month.

the main thing to consider is timing. do you need it now or a few months time? then you can consider current or yet to be released products, for example waiting for Ryzen 2 etc.

how long do you intend to use it for before upgrading, 5 years? resolution as well

This is my theoretical upgrade, but I'm waiting for the next CPU series to release before considering it as mine is still good

Attached: Setup July 2018.jpg (952x1178, 106K)

33 years

Huh? You don't know how to build computers already?

You just build it man, there's manuals in all the boxes if anything

Have you decided if you're going to splurge on that 10Mhz 386? Or is a 6Mhz 286 good enough?

>500 dollars for a cpu
>300 dollars for 16gb of ram

My i7-6700k was 200$ from micro center on black friday
My 16gb of ram was 50$

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (2450x2325, 142K)

Aussie dollars

> 2018
> Building your computer

Cant build what i want. I own 512gb ssd debian macbook air and i7 920 box i bought in 2008 filled with HDD's thats now my server

All i could possibly want now is that Silent Fanless Passive Xeon Airtop 2 or that Talos with Power 9 ....

Attached: airtop guts.jpg (2337x1038, 1014K)

you do realize there is a big sale on newegg rn right? Like I think I saw the i7 8700k for like half the cost on there

Mine was incremental. I don't think I've sat down and bought a fully PC in a single go in years. What happens is I usually ask myself what I want from my PC and what is its weak point in that area?
>Bought an i5-4690k
Encoding times were garbage but it gamed well.
>Skylake released. Bought i7-6700k and 16GB DDR4
Encoding times got better, gaming was kind of unchanged mostly.
>Ryzen came out and shit stomped Skylake Bought an R7-1700X
Encoding times are astounding use less juice and pumping out less heat than the 6700k.
>Video editing started getting starved from only 16GB RAM
Go and buy another 16GB.
>Power supply died
Go out and buy big boy Seasonic Titanium rated unit
Repeat ad nausem. I'm currently sitting with a R7-1700X, 32GB DDR4, 4 SSD's and an $880 GTX 980Ti I bought at launch.

However I am getting to the point now where I'm looking to retire my SSDs in favor of a single 2TB 970 Pro m.2

I used to just put together part lists for fun. Low noise HTPC, SFF NAS/home server, Optimal budget build, ridiculous high-end multi-GPU watercooled build, etc. I've also helped several people put together lists, so at this point it's pretty simple for me. Pick a processor, find a CPU cooler if you need to replace the stock cooler, decide what features you need in a motherboard, pick compatible memory, grab a solid state (NVMe for high end, SATA for mid or budget), pick a GPU that fits your needs and budget (preferably integrated for non gaming builds), pick a PSU (I basically pick whatever wattage I need in an EVGA G2/G3 or SeaSonic Focus+ Gold or Prime Gold, whichever is cheapest), and then pick a case. Cases are very subjective, if I'm putting together a list for someone else I try to let them pick.

What makes the choice easier is knowing which brands and models are good and which are not. Samsung makes the best SSDs, SeaSonic and EVGA PSUs are some of the best, MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus motherboards are usually the best combo of features, quality, and reliability, although Gigabyte's gone downhill recently imo), etc.

In my experience cases, motherboards, and cooling are the parts that take the longest to figure out.

Richfag detected

not really. I make OK money. It's easy to get new parts when there are plenty of people online willing to buy your stuff. Shit my i5 + motherboard and i7 + motherboard sold for within $50 of what I paid brand new because of the Intel badge.

I kind of just get lists off PCpartpicker and then just change them to suit my needs.

honestly just a few hours, at the end of the day it'll work regardless and most hardware these days is good enough for what i need to do. i think for my first build i only took about a week, it was like a 960 + i5 4680 w/ 8gb of ram. i'd just hang out in irc channels and ask people "hey is this good or bad" and go off their consensus if i was trying to compare two similar things

I've got a 1700, 16GB DDR4, four SSDs (one NVMe) and a GTX 1080 and for the entire build I paid less than $1500 after tax and shipping and everything. That's not even one paycheck and I don't make very much money. It's also really easy to sell your old shit, I sold the i5-4690k with motherboard, 16GB DDR3, R9 290 + case and PSU for $400 after about four years of use.

They're Australian dollars

I want /v/ to fuck off with gayming advice

I don't have the wherewithal to do a ton of research on computer parts anymore. I tend to go on PCPartPicker find a list that looks good and then just change a few things to adjust the price down to my budget.

I read every manual before buying anything

800 dollars is loadsamoney.

I gotta be sure to research everything and be confident to pull the trigger.

if you spent more than 30 minutes working out what you need you're a confirmed brainlet.

What's your budget for a good gaming PC. What do you think of people who get 1080 TI's and stuff for their builds?

>Watching a lot of build videos and reviews for components.
>Do that on my shitty old laptop because I don't have enough money for anything else.
One day I will make a build similar to the ones I'm watching right now, and it probably will be when the current ones are 4 or 5 years behind on specs

>What do you think of people who get 1080 TI's and stuff for their builds?

Who tf are you asking? personally I have a 1080ti so clearly I think that is a reasonable purchase that is within a reasonable budget for me.

A good measure of what your budget should be is how much money can you save in a month? if you're spending more than a month's savings on a pc you probably shouldn't buy a pc.

Like 2 days tops.

This but unironically.

the only thing i researched was how to make the phanteks enthoo evolv not suck donkey shit at cooling, a few minutes after i finished my build.

had to buy a custom top exhaust to allow for decent airflow. worth it.

Attached: IMG_20180221_214447990.jpg (2000x2666, 1.99M)

Deadass? Ohhhhh

Seeing as how I use Linux exclusively, I have to take the time to be sure all of the hardware is supported and preferably blobless.

1 year, if something better comes by then i just buy that part if it costs the same, otherwise i buy my planned build.

>980ti with a volt mod
searched the internet but don't get more than forum posts leading nowhere. can I get more on this?

I follow the template and let /pcbg/ build for me.

Because he is full of shit. Even if you did volt mod a 980ti, its cannot reach the levels of the 1080ti.

newfag here, whats this template and whats /pcbg/?