Will Linux ever take over desktops?

Attached: Hmmn.jpg (415x415, 17K)

Only when manufacturers start shipping their computers with it.
/thread

nope, unix on the desktop died in 2009.
There's no expectation that a clone will perform any better.

Doubtful.
GNU/Linux maybe.

Unix was designed to run on mini and micro-computer servers. It is a very poor fit for the PC desktop.

>what is Apple
I mean, they're pretty awful these days, but they've been keeping the Unix desktop alive if you think about it.

no but having an option that costs nothing is a good thing

Probably not, but it doesn't matter anyways

No. The very nature of open sores development will prevent this.
Go away Richard.

I believe it can. But people will have to pull some sticks out of their asses when it comes to FOSS to some degree. See Steam's success which made it more viable. Not saying FOSS is bad or unneeded, but purists that want to keep proprietary away in all it's forms are realistically speaking a problem

>r asses when it comes to FOSS to some degree. See Steam's success which made it more viable. Not saying FOSS is bad or unneeded, but purists that want to keep proprietary away in all it's forms are realistically speaking a problem
you're the problem, please fuck off and install windows

I believe we need both. We can't get anywhere without allowing normies to use their favoured software as they move over to GNU/Linux, but at the same time without some standard of purity that the FSF provides, we'll lose our own principles.

>you're the problem
It's amusing how you can't see that you're the greatest barrier to your own success.

If you think about it some more, the majority of "normal" people do all of their daily computing on a *nix machine - Android and iOS.

Asking for a "year of the linux desktop" right now is kind of like going back to the 1960s and waiting for a year where a specific breed of horse is the most popular for pulling carriages. It's just not connected with reality.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1449588311340.jpg (445x364, 64K)

I don't care about being "successful", i care about free software -- i couldn't care less if it is never the mainstream because it's not my fucking problem

Attached: 1531877041765.jpg (415x415, 20K)

>muh sekrit club
You really are an idiot.

Attached: 1531877041765.jpg (955x415, 42K)

I'm not the one struggling with basic reading comprehension. I'm not opposed to more people using free software, I just understand that it's not a fucking popularity contest. I don't care because it is entirely irrelevant. It has literally nothing to do with it being a secret club. Please end your pathetic existence.

Linux already has taken over all the desktops in my house, two desktops and two laptops with Linux on them all, not a windows os anywhere

This.

I'd argue it would be necessary to start paying developers to spend their time to integrate a working system. RHEL is the closest to it, but not really meant for the home desktop experience. Also, it'll require support from brand media applications such as DAWs, video editing, and other shenanigans, as well as "muh gaymen" PC.

Another aspect is that there are many distributions. For Windows... it's Windows 7 or 10 realistically. Does MacOSX, it's whatever the latest update is. Linux has Ubuntu, but there are way too many choices.

The last piece is it needs a technical support team. We can google our problems as the superior Jow Forums can, but most PC blokes might need to call in for support in doing shit. But really Linux is easier to use in the long run with the tools provided.
>given your installations work

>Will Linux ever take over desktops?
You'll have to ask yourself who are the people who buy desktops and for what purpose. If they are gamers then it can happen if games are ported and so on. If desktops also include laptops then it pretty much only needs preinstalled Ubuntu. Laptops replaced desktops because people didn't need all that power, now tablets are replacing laptops because people don't even need laptops. Tablets already come with Android so some of the so called desktop users are already using the Linux kernel. They just aren't desktop users. In the future they won't even need tablets since they can dock their phones to a big screen. Only the people who need to have an ergonomic computer for long time use will keep using desktops with replaceable parts and accessories.

Anyone other than those shrinking desktop users are using something other than Windows. Mobile Windows never took wind. Windows is pretty much a dying platform and Linux is everywhere. That's why Microsoft is trying to dive in to the Linux game now to stay relevant. If game developers start focusing on something like Ubuntu then even home desktop users will leave Microsoft. That leaves professional environment which advances the slowest, so Windows will stay there the longest but not forever.

Attached: mind.jpg (479x366, 264K)

No, but it will overtake OSX.

Triggered

Not soon. You guys should start unifying the system. Just make something like Debian work out of the box with most modern Linux software (without user having to input dozens of terminal commands), and choose 1 DE, while dropping the rest.
Add everything you can to the repositories, not just your favorite selection of FOSS

Attached: deb1.png (2500x2500, 177K)

based unifying retard

>You guys should start unifying the system.
>and choose 1 DE, while dropping the rest.
So you don't have any idea how this works? People are free to do what they want and that creates alternatives. One of those alternatives rises up to be the market leader. It might be replaced with something else which then becomes the market leader. End users choose what they want and they are the ones who can unify anything by all selecting the same thing. You can't force people to stop creating stuff. You also can't force people to stop exploring alternatives. The alternatives will always be there and nothing will change that. It's the nature of this type of licensing. What you can do is test all those alternatives, choose the best option, aggressively shill it to everyone you know so it gains users and then you donate money to that project to make sure they stay up. Don't try to outsource this to "you guys". You need to act if you want changes.