Anyone ever looked into building your own charging station, namely level 2...

Anyone ever looked into building your own charging station, namely level 2? My dad is an electrician and wants me to look into making them himself and then installing them for the price it would cost of just buying a retail charger (without installation). He said he thinks it'll be around $100 to build, then he'll charge $850 total for the charger + installation. He said he'd put me in charge of this eventually which would be awesome but I'm curious if this is feasible or not.

Attached: EV_Charging_Stations_infographic.png (2363x1174, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rmSYcZAwetA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, I drive a hydrogen powered vehicle. no need for facade of saving the Earth.

I do too but I'd love to make some money off those that do drive them

I don't get what's the thing you're paying for.
Do you live in a place with 120V AC and need a converter to normal voltage?
Do you need an expensive proprietary plug? Maybe a cable?

I just don't get what's there to build and why running a short high power cable from one place to another would be so expensive.

youtube.com/watch?v=rmSYcZAwetA

Basically vid related. He wants to be able to make a level 2 charging station from parts he can buy himself, build the unit and install it for less than it would be for the average consumer just to buy a retail unit, as those cost around $1000.

This guy has a couple longer videos about DIY charging stations that I'm going through now and it seems pretty feasible considering my dad can get parts for wholesale prices.

He legally couldn't sell them unless he got them certified, which would cost too much. One fire and he would likely go to jail.

Very good point. I found some licensed kits that would work but they're hundreds of dollars and not a hundred dollars. Still better than the $1000 I guess.

>DC fast charge
>3 phase AC
???

What is rectification
What is all 3 end up being DC in the end anyway because there is no such thing as an AC battery... Yet

Do level 2 chargers have the rectifier in the car?

how do they all work for all different cars

so does his just dump as much from mains as possible basically

there's nothing inside except a 12v PSU to trigger a relay and then a board to sense cars charge from 1 of the pins which shuts the relay off

I've never had an electric. Does it actually take DAYS to charge these things to full with the basic level one charger?

yeah it takes days the idea but is you plug it in every time you get home so you're just replacing what you used

Attached: Tesla-charge-times.jpg (4000x1750, 751K)

Imagine not being able to drive for 4 days after your car runs out of charge.

yeah and you can't even kill yourself because it's only 120v

>4 days at 1.5 kwh with 120v
>15 hours at 7 kwh with 240v
fuck man
depending on how much you drive, gas might be cheaper

unless you're paying $40/kWh then no

>Americans STILL use 120v
>mfw

Attached: 1531194862198.jpg (250x174, 6K)

can't even boil water with a kettle LOL

Uhmmm just like........ Microwave it??

>mfw Americans have to run multiple phases to specific outlets to run any remotely heavy draw device

Attached: 137593505136.jpg (600x800, 61K)

what?
I have an electric kettle and it works fine
American here

We actually use 240v power lines but the voltage is reduced to 120v at the outlet. The ones for electric stoves and dryers are all 240.

why

Can't trust Americans with electricity

Because we're dumb like that and want our special snowflake voltage. A better question is why Japan uses pussy-tier 100v with mixed 50/60Hz circuits.

>To raise the temperature of one litre of water from 15°C to boiling at 100°C requires a little bit over 355 kilojoules of energy. An “average” kettle in the UK runs at about 2800 W and in the US at about 1500 W; if we assume that both kettles are 100% efficient† than a UK kettle supplying 2800 joules per second will take 127 seconds to boil and a US kettle supplying 1500 J/s will take 237 seconds, more than a minute and a half longer.

and that's 100% efficient

if i ever get an EV it will have to have something like this built in or else it's too tedious for me.

Attached: .gif (790x480, 80K)

don't bother replying to europeans, they can't be educated
they think voltage is equal to temperatures, and we can't boil water unless we have over 212 volts

they can boil water with 120 volts because their water boils at 100 degrees, but they make sure to have 240 volts because boiling isn't enough to save them from the polluted water of the time of plagues, and they now have to use double boilers to go up to 200 degrees

>only 240V supply
>then wireless

56hours later

and who gives a shit when it automatically charges every night?

kek
On what planet is a night 56 hours?

you're using an EV from 100% to 0% every single day? fucking brainlet kys

>you actually potentially use your cars range?

it's an EV not a grand tourer retard

>he can't afford an EV

ahhaha holy shit, maybe next summer

DC motors are three phase AC too

>more than a minute and a half longer
O, the horror! Wat exactly are you dumping an entire "litre" lol of boiling water into and watdafuk is the hurry? For crying out loud, ninety seconds, life must suck being a clockwatcher.

The worthless shit millenitards whine about...

Do you realise how much tea people drink in the UK? Best case of 90 secs per kettle boil would save over a week of time over a lifetime

muh housing market
muh retirement

OP would ou be so kind and tell me the manufaturer of our car, rly interessted in that

>be yuro
>charge in half the time it would in the united states of school shootings

Americans can't get 240V out of their standard power outlets.

Attached: HatobaTsugu.jpg (900x1200, 98K)

Then why is it so hard to charge your EV at 240V?

Attached: WALL-E-382.jpg (1435x597, 276K)

>3-5 miles of range per hour
>literally slower than walking

Only if the battery was empty to begin with. Most people will keep their battery full just by charging overnight every night, because they will only use less than 20% per day.

resistive heating is 100% efficient

It will depend on the EV.
Tesla's are heavy and wide, which makes them inefficient in terms of aerodynamics and acceleration.
So you need a lot of energy per km traveled.
Tesla's also have big batteries, which take even longer to charge but that's not a disadvantage - you should always look at "km/h" charge speed not the time to fully charge.

I think most other EV's will charge overnight even with weak American basedlectricity.

There are two problems with this analysis. One the most obvious is that the British drink a lot more tea, so even if the kettle is faster to boil they still wait longer for tea. Second is the problem that large portions of the US don't use electric stoves or kettles, but boil with a gas range.

Because it is cheaper to run most 120v lines and a few 240v ones than to run all 240v.

This is actually a really good thread for Jow Forums, but I would recommend /diy/

What heavy-draw device do you use in your bedroom?

My wheelchair, to move my fat ass off the toilet.

Houses are only wired for 240 for the range and dryer. Some newer houses have an extra in the garage tho.

>240 is faster that 240

Attached: brainlet clap.png (488x463, 28K)

You can make any branch circuit in your house 240 with a screwdriver and 5 minutes

>charging load 7-19.2 kW
Impossible for my house, max 14 kW 2 phase.

>be american
>buys a tesla
>100 amp eletrical service
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

There is some retardism going on in electrical systems where batteries are "trickle charged", PWM charged, DC charged, AC charged(lmao), current-based charging etc.

They're just describing the algorithm to manage the charging. It will ALLWAYS be DC with an offset over the current battery voltage level.

Same goes for 3-phase motors which are called AC, DC or some other stupid variation. In reality they're brushless 3-phase AC motors with rpm dependent frequency and always connected to a ESC which converts DC to whatever the motor needs.

highest buzzword to content ratio award

Attached: 1531872351038.jpg (960x969, 83K)

d-delet

Attached: cry.gif (500x280, 1017K)

Attached: 1531352902931.png (752x604, 64K)

literally feeling the tears welling up rn

Heat is being lost outside of the water dumbass, not to mention the constant decay of heat to the ambient air. The longer it take the less efficiency you have.

meanwhile I could just go on the gas station and in at most 1 minute I'm already loaded for hundreds of miles

You know why that other stuff is more expensive ?

Because it is built to certain specs, designed not to cause a house fire.
Likely parts of the whole thing is listed with UL.

Electric will nearly always be cheaper, unless you've got your car hooked up to a diesel generator.
Yeah some household outlet might take a very long time to charge but fully charging a 100kW Telsa will only cost you ~$12 depending where you live.
A chevy bolt (60kW) would cost ~$7.20 to charge fully and get 238 miles of range.

>I'll pray for you in heaven
>It's so cold
hmmmmmmm

The chargers are standardized. Good luck copying that and meeting regulations.

There's nothing stopping you from making powerful air core transformer, which wireless charger is. Losses are tiny in a proper setup. Worst case scenario you pay double for full tank but without messing with the wires and while getting free garage heating.

There are true DC motors though. You use a conductor disk with magnets creating transverse field though it (front to back) and put current from shaft to the rim. Inductance is tiny so a shit ton of low voltage current is required. You can however use it as mechanical capacitor, because it can accumulate power as a flywheel and release a shit ton of current instantly. A peculiar feature is that you can attach the magnets directly to the rotor conductor disk and it will still work the same way.

It's true though. All but few motors are AC in nature. BLDC are plainly 3 phase AC, if you take one apart your will not see any difference from a regular 3 phase AC motor. Maybe it will have internal 3 phase inverter or it will use permanent magnets instead of rotor windings but that's it. Even those cheap "DC" brushed motors are really AC, the mechanical commutator converts DC to AC.

hope you like double the power bill due to inefficiency on top of slow charging.

We use the 240V stove top for that. Or 120V microwave.

fetuses are not humans