What can I do with this? After learning python I'm thinking of jumping ship to functional programming...

What can I do with this? After learning python I'm thinking of jumping ship to functional programming. Can it land me a job?

Attached: haskell-logo-with-name.png (397x131, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltalk#History
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Can it land me a job?
no

Just learn Idris. Depended types are the future.

what do you mean by functional programming and why do you think python can't do it

obviously you can get a job as a functional programmer just look at nodejs jobs user

i think clojure has a much better chance of graduating from meme-language status

Clojure has been getting people jobs for years but it will never be mainstream

and how is that any different from Haskell?

i'm not sure of the differences in syntatic sugar between Haskell and Clojure (i'm an OOP guy so i feel both languages are inherently syntactic North Korea) but Clojure running on the JVM means it is way more portable and sandbox-able, which is a good way to keep the dangers of LISP under control

Nobody has ever held down a job while writing Haskell

fine, good point. i guess i heard some larper dude saying he got paid for writing haskell on Jow Forums, but 0 larpers as professional clojurists. assumed it wasn't larpage at the time; now i know

there is erlang. i know for a fact that some telecom companies use it (it's named after Ericsson iirc). so maybe functional programming has a niche. otherwise it's useless

it will give you a future life of depression looking at everyone else's shit code in crappy languages.

Once you get into the ivory tower you can't leave. You'll be doomed to feel like you're swimming in sewage whenever you're forced to use another language. And what kind of faggot needs a job?

i'd like some fries with my order

"Functional programming" is a stupidly broad brush to paint a shitton of different languages with, and just because one functional language has a bright future of industry adoption doesn't mean all the others get to come with it
Like, OOP was the dominant paradigm for like 15 years but did you ever hear of someone getting a job writing Smalltalk?

>did you ever hear of someone getting a job writing Smalltalk?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltalk#History

It actually had a decent run in the late 80's/early 90's. The language may not be as timeless as C, but it has contributed a lot to the development of design patterns and other high level concepts we take for granted today.

Attached: 1420177771641.gif (500x334, 982K)

>Can it land me a job?
They only use it in finance

Professional clojurist here, AMA

Clojure is a lisp, Haskell is what the M-lisp fags have always dreamt about + a shitload of weird syntax because of the monads and the type system

Can confirm, fintech guys are control freaks, they want to run everything with the absolute certainty that it actually happened - what's better than a purely functional prog lang for that? I'm actually surprised they've not switched to Idris yet

> :-D emoji for someone who actually is a pro

okay, sorry, i don't know what you mean by "what the M-lisp fags have always dreamt about"... am i supposed to know what M-lisp is?

>t. identified as "OOP guy" earlier in thread

What emoji?
By the way at the beginning of the time - when lisp was still popular - there was a proposal to make a lisp with a syntax that's not just a bunch of parentheses, because they were apparently freaking out the n00bs. It would've been called M-lisp - as opposed to the S-lisp, made up by the (((S-expressions))) . Of course, there is nothing on earth as autistic as a lisp programmer, and so the proposal was just forgotten.
I mentioned it because a lot of concepts proposed for an M-lisp implementation can be found in Haskell as well: for instance, the way the functions are called

You need to be familiar with Haskell and FP constructs to do anything in Idris.

Wire uses Haskell so there's some people getting paid to write it. It's getting some love.
The list of industrial usage on their wiki is clearly outdated.

M-expressions were part of McCarthy's original description of Lisp. The earliest Lisp implementations used S-expressions only with M-expressions being intended to be implemented later--but eventually people realized they liked writing and reading Lisp with S-expressions. MLisp was one early implementation that did have M-expressions.

memeing it on Jow Forums?