/ag/ - Audio General

dead general more like deaf general
>friend posts on snapchat his new crosley-like turntable and record collection
>posts videos of one of his records playing on it and it sounds like shit
>ask him what turntable he got to talk about it, maybe offer to let him listen on my system
>leaves me on read

Attached: in-sama1.jpg (1280x853, 253K)

Other urls found in this thread:

audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/balanced-audio-
stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/118/index.html
stereolifemagazine.com/reviews/item/1025-acoustic-zen-matrix-
audioasylum.com/reviews/Cable/Acoustic-
positive-feedback.com/Issue42/psaudio.htm
vhaudio.com/tunami.html
vhaudio.com/oyaide-c-004.html
vhaudio.com/oyaide-r1.html
vhaudio.com/oyaide-wpc-z.html
6moons.com/audioreviews/resolution/opus21.html
stereophile.com/cables/765/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=X1Y4N3RCY9Q&t=10s
bristolauctionrooms.co.uk/217-lot-360-A-Sony-stereo-music-system-hmk-3000-and-Sony?auction_id=60&category=&department_id=&exclude_keyword=&high_estimate=0&keyword=guitar&list_type=&lots_per_page=10&low_estimate=0&month=&page_no=0&search_type=&sort_by=&view=lot_detail&year=
bristolauctionrooms.co.uk/217-lot-361-A-vintage-Sanyo-solid-state-stereo-music?auction_id=60&category=A09&department_id=&exclude_keyword=&high_estimate=0&keyword=&list_type=&lots_per_page=10&low_estimate=0&month=&page_no=3&search_type=&sort_by=&view=lot_detail&year=
mh-audio.nl/CancellationFreq.asp
tripp.com.au/sbir.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Balanced Audio Technology VK-200 200 watt per channel solid state amplifier

audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/balanced-audio-

technology/vk-200/prd_115631_1583crx.aspx

powering Hales Revelation III 4 ohm Floor Standing Three-Way 10" woofer

speakers
stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/118/index.html

over Acoustic Zen Hologram II 12' speaker cables .

stereolifemagazine.com/reviews/item/1025-acoustic-zen-matrix-

reference-ii-hologram-ii

Amp is powered via an Acoustic Zen Tsunami Plus power chord (Zero crystal

copper) audioasylum.com/reviews/Cable/Acoustic-

Zen/Tsunami/cables/44055.html

out of a PS Audio Duet component level. AC cleaning and protection unit

positive-feedback.com/Issue42/psaudio.htm
fed by an Oyaide Tunami 1.5 meter cable
vhaudio.com/tunami.html

terminated (by me) with Oyaide P/C 004 connectors which are Beryllium

Copper plated with polished Platinum and Palladium

vhaudio.com/oyaide-c-004.html

plugged into an Oyaide R1 AC duplex vhaudio.com/oyaide-r1.html

of the same metallurgy with an Oyaide wpc-z
billet Aluminum and Carbon Fiber wall plate.

vhaudio.com/oyaide-wpc-z.html

For the source I use a Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD Player with a 24/96 Digital

Input 6moons.com/audioreviews/resolution/opus21.html
This is a two piece unit with separate power supply and is connected with an

Umbilical from Ridge Street Audio; Exousias 999999 pure silver with gold

plated d sub compact copper terminations
This is powered over an Acoustic Zen Krakatoa Power Cable (Silver+zero crystal

Copper) 2 meters. audioasylum.com/reviews/Cable/Acoustic-

Zen/Krakatoa/cables/14/143646.html

It is feeding the BAT VK-200 over Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II xlr
Interconnects 1.5 meters.
stereophile.com/cables/765/index.html

cost new around $15,000

youtube.com/watch?v=X1Y4N3RCY9Q&t=10s

Attached: hales.jpg (738x519, 49K)

>Volumio on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a HifiBerry DAC+
Is there any better, cheaper, faster streaming solution than this? I mean, there are network streamers that cost between 300 and 2000 bucks (Lumin, AURALiC, Sonos, Denon, Yamaha, Oppo, Roon, Bluesound, Cambridge Audio), yet this simple DIY device costs about 100 total. 10 bucks more if you need a specific case for the HifiBerry.

Is most audio tech really that much of a scam?

you realize the sound quality out of that setup is shit and about the same as streaming from a iPhone X?

I need speakers for my pc setup for around 500$, they need to be white and preferably black details. I have 200cm*60cm table so I have a lot of space for them.

Attached: iu.png (976x549, 530K)

How so?
>192kHz/24bit high-quality Burr-Brown DAC
Is this a poor DAC?

genelec 8010

Attached: rs_IMG_1244.jpg (2000x1500, 331K)

Where do you live poorfag

Best bookshelf speakers for under 300 eur?
Mostly for music, but occasionally movies and games

I appreciate you taking the time to list all your components. You say the system cost $15k new? Based on all the components that seems like a good price, I know BAT makes 5 figure amps. Their Reference is $25k, I think. How long did it take you to put this all together?

kef q100

Attached: 360EC755-23D1-486D-A4E7-8CAB86771A2D.jpg (1000x666, 74K)

yamaha hs7 / 8

Attached: $_86.jpg (1024x768, 65K)

Day 14 of waiting for my new speakers.

Attached: IMG_2935.jpg (1200x1600, 297K)

How much space is really needed behind rear ported monitors like the jbl lsr305 etc?

The center of my ports are around 5" away form my wall and there is still a little boomyness on certain songs, but nothing drastic. Would they need to be 10" or 20"+ to make a real difference?

Should I buy a pair of JBL L65 for $200 from a boomer on letgo? Ebay prices say yes.

Forgot to mention that I'm getting boom even with the Low end switch on -2

that’s boomyness is upper bass probably

Herd someone say that the audio gets ruined if you put them next to a wall, which I am going to. How bad is it?

and how much space do I have to have between speaker and wall

spending 60-600$ on new speakers is retarded unless your spending like 6,000$ you should get second hand speakers from the 90s/2000s.

I don't know

the manual says at least 20cm

Attached: yamaha-hs7-1554404.jpg (3264x1836, 1.45M)

>supporting the UK government

Why? I can afford 600$ on speakers. Im not a poorfag.

Do you lads know if a Sony hmk-3000 is any good?

bristolauctionrooms.co.uk/217-lot-360-A-Sony-stereo-music-system-hmk-3000-and-Sony?auction_id=60&category=&department_id=&exclude_keyword=&high_estimate=0&keyword=guitar&list_type=&lots_per_page=10&low_estimate=0&month=&page_no=0&search_type=&sort_by=&view=lot_detail&year=

Right era, wrong product. Looks like a nightmare to service and it'll need new caps and belts. Get a separate TT and integrated amp.

You're right. 80s is also fine.

Thanks mate I know nothing about turntables but would like one. What about this one, will it be shit as well? I've never heard of Sanyo before.
bristolauctionrooms.co.uk/217-lot-361-A-vintage-Sanyo-solid-state-stereo-music?auction_id=60&category=A09&department_id=&exclude_keyword=&high_estimate=0&keyword=&list_type=&lots_per_page=10&low_estimate=0&month=&page_no=3&search_type=&sort_by=&view=lot_detail&year=

Same problem. Unless you need something portable I'd recommend against it. I'm not familiar with any vintage TT really, but I'd pick something cheap and popular. You'll at least have access to service manuals and replacement parts. Most are belt-driven and those will all be toast.

Fair enough, thanks

I propose to categorize HighEnd as a mental illness, I believe it belongs somewhere in the schizophrenia area. HighEnd illness is displayed by phonetic halucinations which prevents enjoyment from music for the afflicted. The afflicted individual compulsively and even autistically examines the technical side of recording and music playback. He/She ignores the artistic and atmospheric side of the music.
This afflicted individual is a grateful victim of marketing department belonging to the companies which sell audio equipment. They are supporting further development of demented thoughts in the afflicted individual, who then tries to resolve his/her illnes by buying overpriced equipment, which will never bring him/her satisfaction. The unambiguous top of the polished fart are overpriced tube amplifiers with THD levels in units of percent ingnoring the basic laws of EMC, mains filters (or EMC power supply filter), and gold plated digital audio cables.
Suggested treatment - Audio therapy in the form of visiting live undergound gigs (preferably with bands playing pvre trve cvlt orthodox norwegian black metal) with cheap audio quality and half-deaf sound engineers serving powerful D-class PA systems.

tl;dr

because if you get some thing from the 80/90/2000s second hand for 100-600$ you get some thing that sounds as good as 3000$ new speakers today

why do you believe so

>Herd someone say that the audio gets ruined if you put them next to a wal
Thats called SBIR (speaker boundary interference response) and you can use it to your advantage sometimes (by nulling peaks and vice versa). Heres some sites that help you calculate the cancellation frequencies.
>mh-audio.nl/CancellationFreq.asp
>tripp.com.au/sbir.htm
Keep in mind you are calculating from the FRONT baffle/face of your speakers, not the back or rear panel. So if you have a super thick speaker thats 20" deep, your speakers front face can't be closer than 20" from the front wall unless you flush mount them.

In general it's recommended to have your speakers front baffle as close to the front wall as possible, so you move the cancellation frequency into a higher frequency thats easier to acoustically treat. But these are general guidelines, and every room will have its acoustic quirks so you will have to experiment with placement. It's very handy to have a measuring mic and program like room EQ wiz for this.

I have Rokit 8s so far and the bass ports are front facing. I'm pretty close to a wall and have really noticeable standing waves around 125 Hz. Should the wall directly behind the monitors have absorption or traps in the opposite corners?

You should use this for the next OP

Attached: 1381057672006.png (2560x1440, 1.01M)

Seconded

You want AT LEAST a foot, give all three if you can

been a few years. what happened to klipschhorns?

Deezloader isn't initializing the Deezer API, is this happening to anyone else?

I have paid $ 25 on thuis trust tytan 2.1 60w
good deal?

Attached: 216650720_19019b.jpg (800x590, 87K)

>spikey dust covers

Attached: 1530894327393.jpg (500x499, 20K)

>be me. 11. remember dad's old speaker setup
>go to garage to find where he stored them. only the receiver remains.
>infinity kappa speakers gone to goodwill long time ago
>whydad.png
>begin quest to find speakers at thrift store that arent shit
>be 12. find polk audio 5jr pair at a thrift store.
>beat to shit. 1 ruptured tweeter. spend every single one of my 30 dollars on them.
>blast shitty 12 year old music taste over them all summer.
>"ported speakers have better bass!" multiple times considered grabbing dads drill and hole-saws from the garage and ruining my speakers.

Thank god i didnt. I still have them today. Ive considered trying to restore the enclosures somehow but im not sure the best way to do it.

Attached: 9qn3dk64asx4.jpg (600x800, 58K)

can always go the professional route

this kind of speakers will always be shit but for that price it's ok

i would probably get twice as much enjoyment out of 25 mcdonalds cheeseburgers, so no user.
no you did not get a good deal.

if you spent $35 more for second hand speakers from the 80/90/00s you coudl have gotten $3000 sounding speakers.. until you spend $6000 or more it's better off getting used $60 speakers.

what do you mean? having somebody else do them?
Ive been doing light restorations on speakers i find at thrift stores for a while now and have worked as a carpenter in the past. Having somebody else touch my speakers, they might as well fuck my wife while they are at it.

well if thats the case, diy it all day man

Dude doesn't actually have an idea of what he's talking about he's just shitposting

how can we trust the rms told by the company?

Thanks

Well they only have a LF and a HF switch on the rear. I have both on -2 because it gets boomier if I switch up the low end, and they get too harsh with the high end switch. My only problem right now is space as far as I can tell.

bump

Attached: rs_IMG_1364.jpg (1500x2000, 254K)

Day 15 waiting for my speakers.

Attached: 318harbeth.H302fig3.jpg (600x415, 56K)

Is the JBL LSR305P worth the $500AUD? Or will i do fine by getting the Preonus Eris E4.5 for $280?

what are you listening to now?

Attached: famkelouise.jpg (960x540, 66K)

All my current gear is used stuff from that time period.

You're not exactly right. Yes you're getting better stuff for cheap, but to say my $80 Kef speakers from 1990 sound better than a new pair of $2000 Kef R300s is absolutely idiotic.

decide weather or not the company seems to be reputable. or look up a review.

Haven't had speakers for 3 weeks now. Feels bad man. I have KEF speakers coming this Saturday at least.