>buy stand for laptop
>plug laptop into monitor
>close it
>put it aside, on the stand
>pair bluetooth mouse and keyboard
>use it that way
WHY?
WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS?
WHAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING TWO MICE OF WHICH YOU'RE ONLY USING ONE, TWO KEYBOARDS OF WHICH YOU'RE ONLY USING ONE, AND AN UNNECESSARY STAND WHICH MOSTLY DOES NOTHING BUT TAKE UP SPACE ON YOUR DESKTOP?
I MEAN, I UNDERSTAND THE POINT OF BUYING AN EXTERNAL MONITOR; YOU WANT THE EXTRA SCREEN REAL-ESTATE. I GET THAT. BUT IF THAT'S THE CASE, WHY CLOSE THE LAPTOP AND LOSE A DISPLAY?
THIS TYPE OF SETUP IS REDUNDANT AND RETARDED. IF YOU WANTED A DESKTOP, YOU SHOULD'VE BOUGHT A DESKTOP.

STAND NOT PICTURED HERE BUT YOU GET THE IDEA

Attached: macsetup.jpg (640x480, 57K)

Maybe they want to separate work from home, and more realistically one might be on windows and full of gaymes, the other might be linux/mac for programming or work.

But at the same time they also want to have the best of both worlds and have the ability to use either, whenever they want

I'm a STEM PhD student. I prefer the desktop set-up at work but also have to travel constantly to present my data at conferences/give presentations at my university, and I like already having everything on my comp without worrying about moving data over from a desktop to a separate laptop whenever I have to give a talk.

This guy obviously has a KVM switch to connect his hard drive and his Apple to the same computer so he can switch between them over the cloud
By the way that's a Phantek case right? Good taste

Understandable. But with the "desktop"-esque setup at work, why not just use the laptop's built-in controls to manipulate onscreen data on both the laptop and the external monitor rather than having a bunch of redundant peripherals?

>I MEAN, I UNDERSTAND THE POINT OF BUYING AN EXTERNAL MONITOR; YOU WANT THE EXTRA SCREEN REAL-ESTATE. I GET THAT. BUT IF THAT'S THE CASE, WHY CLOSE THE LAPTOP AND LOSE A DISPLAY?

I've been using computers since the 1970s (seriously, fuck you, young punks) and to this day, after working with them almost daily since 1975-ish in various forms and factors, I've never ever ever once found myself in a situation where I find multiple physical monitors to be useful to me.

I currently have a nice ThinkPad T420s, and I can attach an external monitor to it that I have sitting on the floor behind me, but I don't need it and would find it useless overall. I'm not interested in having to shift my vision from one display to the other, back and forth, to get shit done.

Sure, I'd love to have a 2560x1440 IPS display sitting here on my desk right now but I don't (the one I have is basically an old TN 1440x900 panel and the T420s has a 1600x900 in it so that's why I don't need the desktop display).

If someone wants to donate a 2560x1440 IPS display to me, great, thanks, I'll pay shipping, but aside from that, I'm fine with 1600x900 for the future, it's enough.

There are certain tasks that one might want several monitors for. Namely producing music (VSTs on one screen, main tracking DAW on the other) or video editing (controls on the laptop's display, video playing on the monitor).
I mean, I don't know what you do with your computer but those are just a few tasks that begin to feel really cramped when you're working on one little display.

>I've been using computers since the 1970s
Post old-ass wrinkly hands with timestamp otherwise I don't believe you.

Attached: disapproving head shake.gif (209x213, 1.73M)

the thing I can't stand is people who use both a trackpad and a mouse simultaneously.
explain yourselves.

Attached: double mice.jpg (640x480, 83K)

Why do you give a shit?

I don't understand it either, I would rather have some ultralight (long lasting) Ultrabook for mobile work and a performant desktop for home work.

Currently thinking of getting a T300LA transformer, the 13.3 inch model with i5 or i7 u CPU and 8 GB RAM. They go for 200 € now on Ebay. Worth it?

My first machine, sonny, deal with it.

As for my hands, with the middle finger up for you, I'll think about it.

Bitch.

Attached: Altair8800.jpg (910x408, 69K)

>he doesn't have his laptop hooked up to a kvm so he can switch between his desktop and laptop

Hmm...still no proof to be found...

Could we have...dare I say...a LARPer in our midst?

Attached: Screenshot 2018-07-18 at 7.51.10 AM.png (683x504, 137K)

Come on, we all know everyone who posts here is a 21 year old college dropout with a drinking habit.

sad thing is there are some people that will use a laptop as a desktop and never as a laptop

so use the cloud???

ahem.... I'm 25.... but ye you're right give or take 4 years

>Why close the laptop
Why would I want to look down at a display when my monitors are at perfect head level? I can tuck away my laptop nicely behind the monitors but opened it would take up a load of space on my desk.

Attached: IMG_20180718_162849~2.jpg (3024x3159, 1.62M)

Put the laptop on a stand so it's at eye level.
Then stretch your arms out straight in front of you like pic related so you can reach the keyboard.

Attached: 1279-061b.jpg (700x574, 63K)

But then how would I piss of people around me with a mechanical keyboard?

>Put the laptop on a stand so it's at eye level.
Even that's not necessary. All you have to do is position the monitor above the laptop.

oh my god that tablet is about to fall off