Google must've been hit very hard by the new fines

Otherwise they wouldn't have to make this pathetic attempt to defend their anti competitive practices

>Android has created more choice, not less

>If you buy an Android phone, you’re choosing one of the world’s two most popular mobile platforms—one that has expanded the choice of phones available around the world.

>Today, the European Commission issued a competition decision against Android, and its business model. The decision ignores the fact that Android phones compete with iOS phones, something that 89 percent of respondents to the Commission’s own market survey confirmed. It also misses just how much choice Android provides to thousands of phone makers and mobile network operators who build and sell Android devices; to millions of app developers around the world who have built their businesses with Android; and billions of consumers who can now afford and use cutting-edge Android smartphones.

>Today, because of Android, there are more than 24,000 devices, at every price point, from more than 1,300 different brands, including Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Polish, Romanian, Spanish and Swedish phone makers.

>The phones made by these companies are all different, but have one thing in common—the ability to run the same applications. This is possible thanks to simple rules that ensure technical compatibility, no matter what the size or shape of the device. No phone maker is even obliged to sign up to these rules—they can use or modify Android in any way they want, just as Amazon has done with its Fire tablets and TV sticks.

>To be successful, open-source platforms have to painstakingly balance the needs of everyone that uses them. History shows that without rules around baseline compatibility, open-source platforms fragment, which hurts users, developers and phone makers. Android’s compatibility rules avoid this, and help make it an attractive long-term proposition for everyone.

Attached: remove app lmao.gif (720x405, 3.66M)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.google/around-the-globe/google-europe/android-has-created-more-choice-not-less/
europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4581_en.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

link

blog.google/around-the-globe/google-europe/android-has-created-more-choice-not-less/

Let us uninstall this garbage then

They didn't even remove chrome, they just took off the home screen shortcut.

The Lawsuit is all about the GApps framework, not the apps itself. Stop lying. For once the EU did very good.

Well this is their "proof" that you are free to chose your apps.

>Stop lying
What was I lying about? Everything from the OP is in google's official blog, I even linked it.

>Well this is their "proof" that you are free to chose your apps.

Very true, and out of sight out of mind is how 90% of the world operates. Most people would consider that removed.

What did actually happen?

google got fined $4.3 billion today

EU gave them a couple of months to stop abusing their power by forcing chrome and Play Services onto everybody. Or they have to pay a €4.3 Billion fine

they to have pay regardless

Oh. All the better

Attached: 1514945568358.png (750x780, 77K)

Wow, that's nice. Not that it would make stock ROMs equal to custom ones in terms of freedom, but it's definitely a step forward.

>just as Amazon has done with its Fire tablets and TV sticks
I thought Google and Amazon were on bad terms with each other.

Do people intentionally post the link in a follow up post in an attempt to bump their thread?

Good. Doesn't even matter what it's for. Fuck em.

I am curious though, what exactly did they do to get fined?

Attached: 1488327626352.jpg (225x211, 13K)

Personally I think that's a bad idea. Although I do agree people should be able to choose to use what they wish, for the average person if they uninstall their browser and uninstall the only source of apps that they know of, they're going to be completely fucked. There would literally be thousands of customer service tickets every single day dedicated to telling people how to restore their browser and app store.

Either way, Im sure Google will for the most part keep doing what they're doing, stretch out the appeal process as long as possible, and then pay the 4.3bil euros over the course of like 10 years. All this will do is take away from the interest gained on the money that's already in their accounts between now and when the fine is actually paid. Also if you think this has more to do with Google's nefarious deeds than it does about the fact that the EU is bleeding money and in desperate need of cash wherever they can get it, you're naive. I don't think that Google is innocent or right by any means, but I dont think the EU are patron saints either.

I didnt think you could bump your own thread anymore on Jow Forums

DO THE EUROPEANS SINCERELY THINK DEVELOPERS ARE GOING TO WANT TO DEVELOP FOR LIKE SEVEN PLATFORMS AND SUPPORT THEM ALL SIMULTANEOUSLY?

TWO PLATFORMS IS ENOUGH. SOMETIMES A DUOPOLY IS NECESSARY.

This isn't a technology thread, just more normalfags trying to cram politics into this website.

I just forgot it
everything is explained here europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4581_en.htm
>Also if you think this has more to do with Google's nefarious deeds
yeah it does, EU is pretty strict about their anti trust laws and regularly fines its own companies

>Implying normals aren't too intimidated to even go into the actual application settings and remove them
Does the play store have the play store in itself?

So is Apple getting the same fine? After all, iOS is even more anti-freedom.

no. read the press release for why google was fined

Sure, but they just fine google more than everyone else because reasons. Id be really curious where that money actually ends up.

They wouldn't do it on purpose, but I totally could see my mom accidentally doing something like that and then thinking her phone is "broken" because she's a technological idiot. I know my mom isn't the only one like that either

>phone manufacturers install bloatware apps like facebook that you cant uninstall
>google takes all the heat because they provide something to use for the most common tasks like a browser, music player, video player, etc
Literally, why isn't Apple getting the same shit? You can't even remove their apps from your home screen and most of their apps remain as system defaults even when you install another app to replace them.

That's why Amazon is mentioned. Google is showing that the Android platform allows for choice even when it goes against Google's interests.

fuck the EU, they are a bunch if ignorant splooges

EU: gimmie 5 bazillion dollars cause you been a bad Google

Google: GFY & GTFO & STFU, android is distributed free to phone makers, its not Google's fault what they do with free software, they have the source code and can rebuilt or reconfigured to use any search engine they want, its not Google's fault they are ignorant and lazy cucks.

i think they fined google 5% of their yearly revenue. no idea about where the money ends up.
and don't like the usa aren't doing the same to eu companies.

next they want to sue microsoft for forcing winedows update and internet explorer on everyone?

the EU are shit tier, they got swamped by nigger and muslim immigrants and now they are trying to figure out how to feed and house them all, should of sank all those immigrant boats in the sea, sharks got to eat too you know

>samsung rolls their own browser as the default, even though chrome is installed
>samsung rolled out bixby as the default assistant even though google search is installed
It seems to me that being anticompetitive isn't really the problem here, just most manufacturers didn't bother competing.

>its not Google's fault what they do with free software, they have the source code and can rebuilt or reconfigured to use any search engine they want, its not Google's fault they are ignorant and lazy cucks.
You clearly haven't read the source. Google forbids them from using anything else than the android version Google provides. And they expressly force their gapps and shit onto it.

Based EU making ignorant hillbillies buttmad

Attached: 170.png (1200x800, 454K)

t. Alphabet inc.

They actually already did one of those, underage-kun.

>hurr EU bad
>google good
here is the press release for you corporate bootlickers. read and understand it before you make any further retarded claims about the case

europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4581_en.htm

Attached: vO7lRZ7.jpg.png (621x702, 56K)

We just keep on winning.
First we put a stop to datamining with GDPR
Then we almost manage to sanitize the internet with article 13, sadly that hasn't happened yet
And now we're BTFO'ing Google for being generally shitty against phone manufacturers, and as a result their users.

Attached: 1529864101065.png (450x450, 89K)

how does Samsung get away with it

Who the fuck uses Android forks?

what do you think the European Union is, a bunch of corporates that want to control and dominate all of the EU,

>simple rules that ensure technical compatibility, no matter what the size or shape of the device
false. they've been working to assure every past-year version become obsolete

>if they uninstall their browser and uninstall the only source of apps that they know of, they're going to be completely fucked

not really. it means a manufacturer could choose to deliver phones with Opera preinstalled in replace of chrome, which today is not allowed by google policies

>Apple devices are typically priced higher than Android devices and may therefore not be accessible to a large part of the Android device user base

Android poorfags BTFO

Samsung rolls their own stuff on top of what Google provides.
Google pretty much enforces a minimum of what all Android devices should have and it's up to manufacturers to put their own defaults above those Google supplied if they want to. Most don't bother and just shell out to various corporations like Facebook to install their apps by default but there's no real alternative app store or browser with a big enough weight they can go to these manufacturers and say "hey, we'll give you X million if you put our app on your devices as the default browser/appstore".

gdpr doesnt stop datamining lol

>but what about apple?
This is the about the same thing that fucked M$. They're using their monopoly power to force other companies, while Apple owns and operates its devices and their software.

What if the EU could crack Google and force GApps license into at least a visible source type deal, if they want to preload it with everything.

Attached: 1530995110143.jpg (600x394, 45K)

Yeah, Microsoft will get it too for Cortana and Microsoft Store in Windows next.
Because Apple doesn't license iOS out to other manufacturers to install on devices they won't get it even though their behavior with app defaults is pretty anticompetitive.

They should have mentioned AdBlock.

> sanitize

Do you mean "sterilize"? As in exterminating the politically-incorrect people?

There's tons of Google shit on my phone I simply cannot uninstall. Lying Google.

If Google actually put emphasis on stock android, and aftermarket android distributions I'd be telling the EU to fuck off, but they don't.

The argument isn't really about not being able to uninstall it, it's about it being the default so people will use it by default, and that manufacturers aren't bothering to put any other defaults instead of them, except Samsung.

Isn't that what actually happened with Windows N edition removing IE/Windows Media Player?

Yeah.
Basically, in the EU if you don't control the hardware your software is going into then anything that is default to your software that there is competitive software for is anticompetitive.

>The Commission's fine of €4 342 865 000 takes account of the duration and gravity of the infringement.
>4,342,865,000
>not 4,294,967,295

Attached: trh3.jpg (1280x720, 39K)

Is not about the default apps or being able to uninstall google apps, is about that they shouldn't force manufacturers to ship phones with that stuff already installed.

The money from these anti trust fines is distributed between the EU members in the same ratio they contribute to the EU household. For instance Germany will get roughly 900 M.

Fuck Google. I hope everything related to them dies. Yes, even YouTube.

does this mean that i can finally uninstall the shitloads of google apps on my phone?

>yurotrash this delusional

Attached: 729.gif (340x340, 137K)

So why hasn't apple been sued over this? They come stock with safari and every single web browser on their phones has to be based on safari
The EU are losing their fucking minds lately

>Sure, but they just fine google more than everyone else because reasons.
Because Google makes that much more money. The purpose of these fines isn't to kill the corporations, but to hurt their bottom line enough that it hurts.
They're not going to fine a corporation that only makes 1 billion/year for 1 billion, and similarly it would make no sense to fine a corporation like Google for a few million where that wouldn't even amount to a slap on the wrist.

Wtf EU finally did something right

>every single web browser on their phones has to be based on WEBKIT (AKA KHTML).
Fixed.
Also, Apple doesn't own a search engine, which is what the EU's case is all about.
If you use Android, you MUST use Google's search engine. No choice.
With iOS you can use whatever you like as far as search engines go.

I want to have f-droid and firefox preinstalled damnit!

Also a foss launcher.

>should of

Attached: miyamoto-trinen.png (610x404, 295K)

Um what?

Attached: Screenshot_20180718-212015_Brave.jpg (1440x2406, 320K)

Apple aren't forcing other companies to bundle a software suite with an OS. It's all their own walled garden.

This this this
Also, if your company ships at least one phone with Gapps, then they're forbidden to release phone without Google Play Services. That's probably one of the reasons no company tries to release a LineageOS+F-Droid based phone nowdays.

You can't change my mind about the fact that Europe has just been directly attacking SV giants lately. Honestly it's almost comical how blatantly abusive the government is.

It's literally punishing Android for being open source. Microsoft and Apple get away with it because people literally couldn't change it if they wanted to? What if internally Chrome was only pretending to be an app: it's actually used in the backend a la electron to render the UI. Sure, it's open source and people could remove it, but, couple chrome with literally everything in the phone and it's not like any vendors would bother to remove it. Honestly, I can easily imagine a world where this is the reality and the EU just doesn't understand the difference.

It seriously seems like the EU expects Google to be a charity: their things are all free because they are a company that sells advertisements. This is in no way a secret. Just like their other products, Android is successful because its free for vendors and users.

There are other options in the phone market if you don't like it, just like how their are other options for search engines. And OP's webm isn't a lie, there are other options for your browser in Android (as well as search engine in Chrome), the only way Google makes money from these is by making it the default in an otherwise free product.

And I'm not a shill; I completely avoid all of Google's products like the plague, but I don't have a senseless hate boner for them like a lot of the world seems to have. The popularity of their products is inherent to their business model. If you are some how impacted by any of googles apparent "illegal" practices, you are 100% at fault for using their services. Not a single thing about how they make money is a secret or ever was. I think it's disgusting that the government can get away with stuff like this and they are praised as heroes.

>Google must've been hit very hard by the new fines
>Otherwise they wouldn't have to make this pathetic attempt to defend their anti competitive practices

Someone doesn't know how business works.
Business fights everything. No matter how small, how petty, or how obviously they are in the wrong.
Why? Because they can.
If they accept this fine with no fuss, they open themselves to more fines in the future for everything under the sun. If they fight it tooth and nail and make them incur legal costs enforcing it, people will think twice before fining or suing them because they know a legal battle will ensue.

Mark my words, this will make Android become closed source and a paid OS for OEMs. This way Google apps will just be part of their system.

>not really. it means a manufacturer could choose to deliver phones with Opera preinstalled in replace of chrome, which today is not allowed by google policies
I've never seen a Galaxy with Chrome pre installed. They all come with Samsung Browser.

Reminder that monopolies don't exist unless caused by government regulation.

Tell them to make Apple stop forcing App Store and Safari onto everybody throats too.

It's a good way to get laughed at. Monopolies can exist with and without government intervention. The thing with the american government is that it's african levels of corrupt and so companies just buy a monopoly from the government.
Every time an american says shit like 'government causes x', the rest of the world laughs at you for not realising how disgustingly corrupt your government is.

i don't use gapps on my phone, but this is some absolute bullshit
not only can you easily replace built in apps, you can also completely replace the distribution of android on most phones, though official means (not unintended hacks)
and android works just fine with gapps entirely missing!
iOS is far, far more restricting than android when it comes to software choices

>even if end users were to switch from Android to Apple devices, this would have limited impact on Google's core business. That's because Google Search is set as the default search engine on Apple devices and Apple users are therefore likely to continue using Google Search for their queries.
Isn't Bing the default search engine on iOS?

This is very funny. Apple uses propertiary cables causing environment waste, has closed OS and ecosystem, etc. And who is worth investigating according to EU? Google for making google search default. And tell me that EU doesn't suck.

>inb4 Android's first time setup screen asks if you want either Chrome/AOSP Browser/Samsung Browser as default browser and asks if you want Google Search
It's not even hard to solve this

Attached: 1525277761797.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

I think it was for a while but after realizing how shit it was they ended up going back to Google.

>you MUST use Google's search engine. No choice.
You're retarded. Did you ever use an android device?

>if they uninstall their browser and uninstall the only source of apps that they know of, they're going to be completely fucked.
Good. Force some minimal competency down their throats, not doing it is why FANG companies got to power to begin with.

the EU wants web-pages to be streaming videos of books whose pages are turned when you call a librarian after getting an internet license to go turn the "web" pages for you on camera.

software, of course, must be sold as a physical object in town square, like they do in beauty and the beast.

>Monopolies can exist without government regulation
A product would have to be sold at a reasonably cheap price or else a competitor would enter the market.

>>If you buy an Android phone, you’re choosing one of the world’s two most popular

Kek just factually wrong, you can’t claim iOS is popular when it has less than 10% of the entire world market

>mfw europoors steal american burgerbux to support their lousy cucked up welfare state

The monopoly can lower their prices below reasonably cheap until the way smaller competitors die, there's hundreds of examples of this out there
Industries with incredibly high entry prices usually don't get any new competition at all

That would put at least a 20% dent in Google's dominance on web browsers

Looks like they're asking for a bigger fine.

That's not how it works in Roman law systems.

Wait a second... You can't actually remove some apps, can you?
I tried removing garbage like YouTube app, hangouts, play music and other google garbage and first of all I couldn't do this like gif shows only thing I could do was uninstall updates

Did they changed that?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (866x1300, 106K)

how does it feel to pay for my healtcare and neetbucks americuck

Custom ROMs are considered forks.
So, everyone using a custom ROM.

>The monopoly can lower their prices below reasonably cheap until the way smaller competitors die, there's hundreds of examples of this out there
Competitors will come back when prices are raised again. In the mean time, the consumer gets a good deal.

>Industries with incredibly high entry prices usually don't get any new competition at all
Then their products must make them so little income that investors wouldn't try to compete with them.

With that said, I suppose dropping the prices repeatedly would stop investors from trying to enter the market. To that, I don't have an answer. Unless someone more knowledgeable comments, I'll agree with you.

linus fined because most distros ship with firefox when?

Are you retarded? xDD

I'm with you on this one. One of my phones is gappless, other one has fake gapps via magisk.
I live in EU, so it benefits me.
But damn its just blatant racketeering.

>it's easy to remove an app
What about the Play services?

>You can't change my mind about the fact that Europe has just been directly attacking SV giants lately.
Good. Because they've paid off all the US lawmakers and FTC.
>Honestly it's almost comical how blatantly abusive the government is.
shut the fuck up, jewgle shill. Google's a monopoly and an abusive monopoly at that. I don't wanna live in their gulag.

ITT: anti-botnet board defending Google