/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1531944553624.png (3000x1688, 3.37M)

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/1341305/setting-up-raid-on-debian-mdstat-has-no-personalities
packages.debian.org/stable/
prism-break.org/en/categories/windows/#operating-systems
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If anyone knows how RAID works I'd appreciate some replies to this: superuser.com/questions/1341305/setting-up-raid-on-debian-mdstat-has-no-personalities

Install GuixSD

What do you think of MX Linux?

So I'm on bunsen labs, How exactly do I update to the strech repos? Do I just enable them in sources.d? and if so would that change the kernal? Can I update without a clean install?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, STILL CAN'T MODIFY ANYTHING IN MY TWO NEW PARTITIONS! ONLY ROOT CAN DO THIS. CHOWN BLA BLA BLA DOENS'T WORK!

FUCK THIS PIECE OF SHIT GARBAGE SAKE CRAP DONKEY SHINE CUNT, FUCK OFF!

linux is a kernal

Attached: GNO.png (279x96, 7K)

Wikipedia lies.

Just install Debian with lxde and enable non free repos.

Attached: ghanooplasxanax.png (178x76, 6K)

this. i'm dead sure at this point that wikipedia is financed through the linux foundation (read:nsa/illuminati) to destroy software freedom

Have you tried modifying your users groups to include storage?

nah, that's fine
/proc/mdstat only gets populated when the systemd detects an array
just make the array you want

>systemd
I meant system

Storage group doens't exist on ubuntu 16.04.

I'm no mount guru, but mount itself can dictate who can access mounts even beyond the file permissions of the mounted filesystem, which obviously makes sense since you can move them from computer to computer and there's no guarantee the users are the same.

Look up how to mount with user write access

So, when I first installed Debian on my main machine, I made a mistake and decided to also get four different desktop environments. (I wanted to make sure I find one I can settle with) Months later, I'm now stuck with a bloated PC and a lot of "duplicate"/redundant programs I don't use.

How can I properly identify and safely remove them without breaking anything? What about DEs I don't need?

Attached: 1525404753280.png (130x21, 2K)

Fresh mint 19 install, fresh i3wm install, literally nothing else, key bindings not quitting working exceot for mod+enter and mod+shift+e.
Help me Jow Forums,you're my only hope

search the package deps and manually remove them
packages.debian.org/stable/
but you're better off just nuking all your DEs and graphics drivers and reinstalling everything.

Bloat does no harm beyond using disk space, and it doesn't even do a lot of that.

Oh sounds like a feature.

You mean the special keys or the native i3 bindings?

Native, like mod+shiftt+q, and even fucking mod+d

Did you install dmenu?

>but you're better off just nuking all your DEs and graphics drivers and reinstalling everything.
Unfortunately that isn't an option for me as of now.

>search the package deps and manually remove them
I'll see if I can find the time to do that eventually.

>Bloat does no harm beyond using disk space, and it doesn't even do a lot of that.
You're right, it's not really a problem if I think about it. Still a bit irritating having three different terminals and lots of text editors.

This happened to me once, but it solved itself after rebooting, not really sure what did cause it

Id just fresh install it's cleaner

Yes
I rebooted, it's fucking killing me, I think I'll try with a different keyboard, or another layout, because I'm using french azerty

If you can call a terminal can you edit your . config in nano?

>french azerty
install dvorak

prism-break.org/en/categories/windows/#operating-systems
The notes on this could use an update, unless Ubuntu is still considered CIA-nigger tier

>when I first installed Debian on my main machine, I made a mistake and decided to also get four different desktop environments
How did you install them? Take an axe to your task-* packages.

Attached: s.png (882x625, 19K)

What changes should I make
Are your serious or is this like install gentoo

switch to dvorak. it's nice.

Had a similar problem, I uninstalled lxde but the Fucker kept showing up when I log in and 100% functional, had to do a fresh install

I don't know why everyone always talks about "bloat" like it has a single meaning. There's obviously different kinds of bloat.

A tiny 2 line code change takes almost not extra disk space, but can still make an application use tons more resources during runtime.
And then there's also the kind you mentioned where something can take up 100MB of disk space and no other resources at all leaving your system still being very light.

Personally I think the later is almost always acceptable, but some anons disagree. I wish we could keep these two things separate. I bet a lot less people would fall for "lol it's bloat" memes if they were aware of exactly what kind of bloat is being referred to.

Just fuck with the non functioning keybinds starting with the reload config reload session ones so you can see if you broke something without logging in and out constantly.

>How did you install them?
USB install with an ISO image, dual booting. Used the installation wizard to select the DEs.

I just checked it out, I think it's a waste of time

I find that bloat as in disc space is just inefficient space usage. Not bad inherently. Bloat like high resource usage that isn't bad so long as you're able to get work done why have x amount of RAM and a decent cpu to run a barebones system? Now I'd say bloat as in broken programs that eat up undue resources are bad. The reason I don't see the former 2 bad is just because an informed user can handle them.

The bloat meme is to me just end users with toasters angry about not having fully fledged performance.

Good idea, but isn't it it supposed to just werk outside of the box?

why's that?
you objectify move your fingers less per word.

Idk I don't use a french keyboard setup. So for me it does. That said I set 3 mod keys and remapped the bindings to make sense after using the native ones for a bit

Let's consider the following setup:
-1 ssd
-full disk encryption
Is there a single reason why I shouldn't just go unencrypted boot and encrypted root (with home, var, swap as files/directories inside)?
Also, uefi or bios? I have a 2k14 dell latitude

>The bloat meme is to me just end users with toasters angry about not having fully fledged performance.
Not at all. I'm not as bad as many of them but I can say for sure that's not it. Even on a reasonably high performance machine I like to keep things simple and low resource usage.

Where I draw the line is between what I'm actually "doing" so to speak, and what I'm not. If I'm playing a game then that's what I'm "doing" so I don't mind it using a lot more resources, but if I'm using a multi-featured application and I'm only using it for X then Y and Z should not be doing hardly anything or using up any resources, and all other background services should also be as low consumption as possible.

If you're trying to see a practical argument here you won't find it. It's not really about practicality. It's more about idealism or even just plain autism.
In all honesty I think being a Windows user for the first half of my life is a big reason I'm still so paranoid about bloat. I cannot stand having a machine that is doing things I neither want nor understand.

The copy past keys are spread apart, so is awsd, it might save me time typing, but I'm gonna waste a lot of time reconfiguring software and other shortcuts, and time to learn it so I reach my current typing speed

I'm currently installing Debian onto my laptop with only the DVD-1 iso and it says I'm missing non-free firmware (iwlwifi-.....). How should I go about completing my Debian install without having network issues (no ethernet port)?

Attached: 1459822681504s.jpg (200x109, 10K)

I want a reason to install Linux on my main machine.
I have Manjaro on a laptop, but I am sick of Windows 10 on my main machine. Still not enough reason to switch to Linux. Gimme some reasons and i'll do it tonight. Recruit me to the full time neet squad, Jow Forums.

>The copy past keys are spread apart
do you use one hand to type them or something?
>awsd
simple rebind.
>time to learn
took me about ~2 weeks to get back to touch touching.
It's really not as bad as you think.

Do you use two hands to copy and paste?

Attached: IMG20180719002259.jpg (3120x4160, 3.14M)

>If you're trying to see a practical argument
Not at all. Just voicing my opinion. Yours is understandable to me.

Are you trying a netinstall?

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
more control, more power. The best thing though is the sheer quality of life improvements you have with doing everything from a terminal. keybinds for anything is also a nicety whereas in windows you'd need third party hacks.
if you need games, wine is pretty great now and should just werk for a lot. So it doesn't feel non-native. There's also playonlinux, if you want a more GUI-friendly start.
Otherwise programming feels a lot better, and PATH shit is much easier on linux when you can just drop everything into /usr/bin/

Use middle click to paste text that's highlighted

Gentoo spin with Clear Linux optimizations when?

No. I found the Debian wiki page for downloading the unofficial firmware and I put it onto the bootable USB under the /firmware directory. Debian wiki is a shit. Why don't they let people edit it?
Yeah just got that. Cheers.

I use it most of the time, but the point here being 133t h4xx0r and using less mouse

>Why don't they let people edit it?
because you'd have hordes of mongs shitting it up with bad information.

>linking the ISO full of nonfree bloat

>Debian wiki is shit
It's not great no. It's a fine distro just the same. It's funny, I think theirs has redirects to the arch wiki iirc

>user needs thing
>links thing
>no don't use thing, it has other thing you not need

Choosing to do anything but netinstall will give you what Debian thinks a userland should include. If you want a distro that gives you a bare bones de userland Void is good. It didn't even have some basic things like xrdb that are included in most distros.

Just explain how to install the driver?

have any of you successfully replaced a qnx rso, for an embebbed linux distro?

user needs a WiFi dongle that works with the free drivers.

Honestly, the Arch wiki should be considered a modern internet wonder if there was such a thing.

What was the logic behind leaving the Root password blank during The Debian install again?

>just waste money on a thing so stallman won't cry at someone using an irrelevant non-free firmware
"no"

saves you time.

No one can break into root if logging into root is impossible

>Honestly, the Arch wiki should be considered a modern internet wonder if there was such a thing.
In a good way? I find its fairly tricky to get into the flow of the arch wiki, but its sure helped me out a lot and is way better than debians wiki where nothing works

It's not a 1:1 because the wiki assumes you're using Arch

it also doesn't help that most of debian's problems can be solved with ubuntu solutions. So there's not a strong reason to develop the wiki when ubuntu's sheer size and windows brainlets asking every minor question, make up for it.

Which are some recommended beginner-tier distros for a laptop?

Yeah i know, i switched to arch (manjaro) a little while ago because i wanted a more up to date system

Whats annoying is when debian issues cant be fixed by ubuntu solutions or doing so would acrew with a lot of shit

GuixSD

Manjaro or maybe lubuntu

>do you want !WIndows
Ubuntu + your DE of choice
>do you want linux
debian

>>do you want to maintain a stable server instead of using it as a desktop
>debian
fixed

xfce is a great DE though.
only minor thing is having to apply a quick fix for screen-tearing depending on your GPU.

I'd just install arch or void if you have an opinion on systemd. If Arch is too spooky void uses a simple ncurses installer who's biggest hurdle is cfdisk

That's Intel integrated graphics innit? That's not a distro issue it's a driver issue.

as well as nvidia.

bump with attention pic

Attached: 1503102702789.png (1200x796, 561K)

Why? Manjaro removes the need to dtuff around with arches installation procedure. Only thing i hate is it ships with steam and office online

Both are very trim installs. That's all honestly. Bleeding edge without being as curated as Manjaro

You dont need to put /usr and /var on seperate partitions anymore and it actually intoduces new levels of pain if you do so with systemd.
Unless you want to put your /boot on a usb drive, just go with unencrpyted boot(you still need the password actually go in to your os)
so have :
/boot - 100mb per kernel
/system - 10gb(20gb lib32)
/home - the rest
I would encrypt / AND /home with different keys/passwords.
>swap
Just make a swap file on your /,no need for a separate partition.
>uefi or bios?
I would prefer bios cause uefi is cancer, so check your bios for "legacy boot", turn it on and use bios mode if you can

So, what distro should I get if I put Linux on my main PC?
Legitimate answers only. I refuse to install Malwarentoo or "stability" OS (Debian).

Fair enough. I just dont have the time which is why you never catch me compiling

Arch based then. Debian while stable is pretty out dated which is ok for servers and all but not desktop.

I like Arch, but i'm a brainlet. Should I go with Manjaro?

Who said anything about compiling? Abs and xbps-src both offer compiling but pacman and xbps use binaries.

>I would encrypt / AND /home with different keys/passwords.
why though?

Manjaro installation is pretty easy (so is most distros). The only thing that might trip you up is the first screen where you get to choose your launch parameters

Arch isn't that hard to install/maintain. Maybe configuring a tiling window manager + bar can get autistic.

Your system drive shouldnt have any personal information on it. If its compromised they just have a os. But if they are separately encrypted, they dont have access to your personal files.

I am good at installing Arch for the most part, but I am shit at drive formatting so I need something automated. I fuck up a lot. I've practiced in VMs.
Okay. Other than Manjaro (or any Arch), what non-systemd distros are good for desktop usage and not just server usage?

Oh cool, i just recall the days of arch not having a proper installer

Wm gets autismo on any distro doesnt it?

Also with arch the one thing i kind of hate is having to relearn terminal commands because of the way pacman works. -S for installation, really?