Cost more

>Cost more
>Performs less
>Runs hotter
Is this the worst CPU lineup of all time?

Attached: Intel_pentium4_logo_original.jpg (637x811, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=578925
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how different were this compared to celerons? I had some shitty celeron pc like up to 2008 and It did everything no problem until like 2007.

The P4 had more L2 cache and ran at a higher clockspeed than the Celeron, but the microarch was the same.

I didn't know any enthusiast/gamer that had a intel CPU from like 2001-2006

there was always like 1guy with a intel but he tended to be some weird guy at a lan party with 20 harddrives in a server box.

It was ahead of AMD at times and was never as far behind as AMD has been since 2006.

this desu

Pentium M master race desu

It was dogshit compared to Athlon in every possible way, faggot.

Clock for clock, yes, but at times it was better because higher clockspeeds.

But that's more heat, though, and it cost a lot, AMD FX was fucking horrible, but it was cheap, ran a little warm, and was hot on the tail of the i7 Haswell.

Attached: IMG_20180713_145251_328.jpg (2808x2808, 1.51M)

Watch this.

Attached: HI6A3.jpg (1600x1184, 433K)

Personally I was convinced Windows XP was more stable on it compared to Athlon.

oh god this is a deja vu, history is repeating itself

Itanium 1 was worse.

I always liked the Pentium 4 Hyperthreading processors and also the Pentium D. I don't care that they made heat. They were neato.

and now we have the core i9 throttling every high-end laptop

Also I got literally all of mine for free so whatever about cost.

Celerons were just binned P4's at lower clock speeds with the L3 cache disabled in architechtures that had an L3 cache.

This is a P4 system and was actually on when this photo was taken

Attached: Gutsfuckyea.jpg (1600x1200, 647K)

How did Intel have parts of a CPU running at 7.2GHz (the double-pumped ALUs) in 2004? Still seems amazing.

fucktard long pipelines
P4 pipeline was like 34 stages in length

Pentium 4 wasn't as bad as its cousins.
P4!Celeron was almost as hot as P4, but ran way slower due to lack of HT, gimped cache and FSB.
Mobile P4 could literally burn your dick because the TDP was almost as high as for desktop versions, and heat pipe coolers were in their infancy.

IIRC P4 was the first Intel CPU to implement thermal throttling, as opposed to thermal shutdown on P3 and earlier.

here is an old ass thread talking about pipeline and p4 vs amd

arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=578925

I had a 2.8ghz northwood based celeron
Shit was fucking terrible even back then

> The only difference between the Northwood-128-based and the Willamette-128-based Celeron is the fact that it was built on the new 130 nm process which shrank the die size, increased the transistor count, and lowered the core voltage from 1.7 V on the Willamette-128 to 1.52 V for the Northwood-128.
>1.7V

Attached: 1385420494989.jpg (852x939, 325K)

I had an old dell laptop with a Pentium 4 at 2.4Ghz and 1GB of RAM. I could have sworn it was a damned desktop CPU in that thing.

Intel chipsets definitely win in stability back in the day. VIA and NVIDIA nForce chipsets were ok I guess, but SiS was complete shit. Blue screen galore.

It was one of the most successful of all time, so no.

By the time it was phased out P4 was bretty gud. As for worst CPU lineups, wouldn't that honor go to AMD pre-Ryzen or the current Intlel housfires that require 1700W chillers?

Success≠Performance

I had a Pentium 4 Northwood 2.53ghz and 512MB DDR in 2002

Good times

That's because "Mobile P4" was literally a desktop CPU in a different package.

To confuse everyone, Intel simultaneously made a second line-up of mobile CPUs called "P4-M", now those were proper mobile CPUs that only ran half as hot, but were in short supply and cost a lot (probably because the percentage of chips capable of running at low voltage was insufficient)

I have one genuine Intel board with a soldered Intel CPU and a SiS chipset. Yay for cost-cutting!

>the current Intlel housfires that require 1700W chillers?

That housefire CPU was a single overclocked Xeon 8180, an otherwise okay CPU if you ignore the price. There surely are some idiotic processors like i7-7740X, but OP asked for an entire shit line-up, and I don't think any of Intel's current series qualifies.

The original desktop series Atom was really sad, but that's less a fault of the CPU itself than of its selection of chipsets.

>AMD pre-Ryzen
125w is not a lot on an 8350, it performs decently on multi core and is cheap, the lineup does what it is supposed to do well, but the fucking tech press people who seem to think a 1024x768 benchmark means anything in this multithreaded age said FX was bad so people didn't go for it.

Well, Nickelback is one of the most successful bands of all time...

>125w is not a lot

...That's more than every single Pentium 4, even the Extreme Editions widely derided for being housefires.

The high end Pentium 4s were 130w, and the pentium D was 130w, as well as the first generation of i7s, but no one complained then, those were great performing CPUs too, those Nahlalems, but 130w is 130w no matter what it is.

The maximum for P4 was 115W. Only Pentium D went up to 130.

Shit I thought that chip of all would be 130w+

Even Intel abandoned it's microarchitecture.

The very last P4's, think it was Ceder mill, those were the ones that had the heat issues. Could be wrong but I don't think so. Intel tried to crank up the clock speed but due to the die size the resulting heat generated was a lot. Now if they'd waited till they could've shrink the die, then who knows how things would've turned out. Then the Athlon 64 came out and dominated gaming performance for a long ride. The intel chips did deliver over the Athlon in office/productivity type work but the difference was not a wide margin as to make you miss having an Intel

Yeah Cedar mill was when we saw 3.6GHz pushed on us because the Athlon X2 was a thing, my Grandmother had one with nForce 4 6150LE graphics and it kicked ass.

>forgetting about Itanium