/5G/

Finnish telecommunications company Elisa has become the first operator in the world to begin commercial use of a 5G network and to start offering 5G subscriptions.

The first person to use the 5G network was Finland’s Minister of Transport and Communications, Anne Berner.

The world’s first commercial 5G network has now been launched in the Finnish city of Tampere.

Elisa was keen to remind everyone it made the first GSM call too and it’s good to see Europe is still capable of leading the way in telecoms.

Attached: 5g-nokia.jpg (940x540, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marketrealist.com/2018/07/nokia-strikes-a-1-2-billion-deal-with-china-mobile
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

We're slated for 2019/2020 for 5G rollout with 3G being downsized to voice only by the end of this year.

I don't see any damn phones with 5G support though.

In 2018 a large amount of people still use 3G. This isn't as major as you think

Only in burgerland where people are fisted by monopolies, locked carriers, snapdildo 4g bands no one else uses and bandwidth limits.

Any modern country has or is in the process of downsizing and relegating 3G to legacy compatibility use only.

So is it recommended that I wait for 5G phones to be released for purchasing, instead of buying a phone before that time?

Yes, Qualcomm Samsung will release 5g modems by September. It will be a new feature for Iphones and even 5g laptops will also be jewed out to the masses.

Attached: 5g-patent-chart-2399.jpg (970x546, 62K)

Sure kid.
Nobody has 5G phones yet, the article is a fluff piece.

In Finland they already have 5G phones and sims

Anne Berner is a jew who wants so sell our roads to russians

Attached: berner-1200x675.jpg (1200x675, 95K)

Anne Berner is fucking evil. The new car taxation scheme is straight from 1984, glad it wasn't implemented

takas ylikselle siitä

Attached: elisa_5G.jpg (1663x1220, 325K)

En ole 13-vuotias.

Kukaan ei kysyny sulta

>Qualcomm Samsung will release 5g modems by September.

Nokia's modems and are already implemented and Nokia's supplying China Mobile, the biggest carrier in the world with 5G

marketrealist.com/2018/07/nokia-strikes-a-1-2-billion-deal-with-china-mobile

Attached: nokia_oulu_telia_5gdemo_image_14.jpg (3000x2000, 761K)

Why would we need ever more bandwidth than what we have now for mobile use?
It's already fast enough to watch video on a quality sufficient for that screen size.
Things like navigation hardly need it since maps can be cached and storage is (should be) cheap.
Music needs even less bandwidth.
And you can use Wifi everywhere which can be significantly faster.

because we can.

Attached: 1526352237918.jpg (533x800, 129K)

I recently got a VoLTE capable phone while 4G is kept for a while. Previously I used chinkphones that only really worked on 2G with T-Mobile.

640kb

Because if mankind had that mentality, we'd still be living in caves.

Mainly IoT, where wearable devices will play more inclusive role in other people's lives. Stuff like self driving cars and telemedicine is going to be more viable with 5g

Also, 5g isn't just about being faster; it's about being faster and cheaper. Who doesn't want cheap,great internet connection

I though of that as I typed my response but the comparison is skewed because we had no clue what it would lead to.
Computers have been around for a while now and I can't think of a new purpose for them popping up this last decade.
Same goes for smartphones, not that much different from 10 years ago.
Photo's, videos, messaging. All of these have been done before on pc's as well.
The only new thing is mobile streaming.
VR is failing for the 2 (or 3rd) time now to gain any relevance.
"Breakthrough" games like Ingress/pokemon go don't need that much bandwidth anyway.

No, she's not Jewish, she's Swiss/Finnish

Nokia...
>makes the best OS in the world
>Microsoft buys it
>makes the best phones in the world
>Microsoft runs the company to the ground, lays off most of the employees, takes away most of their patents
>still manages to make some of the best Android smartphones in 2017 and 2018 even though they have no experience with Android
>makes the first 5G modems of the market
>ie: it's still at the forefront of innovation
How can one company be so amazing?

Attached: Nokia-Logo (2).jpg (1243x699, 207K)

BASED NOKIA

Trip faggots are a fluff piece

I used to work at Nokia - RF department, now I'm working for Ericsson on 5G. Ask me anything.

How much will a rain cloud shit on 5G speeds?

Here it's 4g

The cloud itself, not much. There are lots of different aspects that will decrease the speeds you get from 5G bts - especially if we're talking about beamforming.

Dude even in my shitty Balkan country the norm is LTE

miks muut on niin perunoita näitten mobiiliyhteyksien kanssa?

Makes sense.
A more general question is, given all of this extra work that's happening on both the receiver and sender side, will 5G be more energy efficient in less than ideal conditions? I haven't heard much about that.

Jag talar svenska.

>good to see Europe is still capable of leading the way in telecoms.
RORORORORO

för helvete :DDD

en tiedä.jpg

vittu :DDD

>will 5G be more energy efficient in less than ideal conditions
Than 4G? No. If anything it will be less energy efficient. That's because when energy efficiency (and not the transfer speeds) is the main focus we have Cat-M.

fug :DDDD

>We're slated for 2019/2020 for 5G rollout with 3G being downsized to voice only by the end of this year.
Jesus fucking christ no.
Manually switching to 3G is a good way to bump up your transfer speeds whenever you encounter a particularly overloaded BTS.

Pipe dreams. In reality carriers will limit data out of the ass with caps.

>Cat-M
Haven't heard of it. I'm pretty much a consumer pleb, sorry for the dumb questions.
So pretty much 5G will be great for city centers, etc... for fast transfer rates. Are they going to keep 3G/4G around for longer range? Or is that a bit outside what you know?
One more thing about the weather, is fog your worst enemy?

>data cap
this is another thing that amazes me, are you from the US? How much would a 4G mobile connection w/o data cap cost you on average? In Finland it's basically always unlimited data when you want to buy mobile, you have to specifically ask for a limited connection?

>caps

Only 3rd world shitholes have data caps

>Haven't heard of it. I'm pretty much a consumer pleb, sorry for the dumb questions.
No problem man, the Cat-M is designed specifically for IoT, to be a way of long-range, low-power communication with your fridge, car, gun (we had a project like that at Nokia), etc.
>So pretty much 5G will be great for city centers, etc... for fast transfer rates.
Yes, 5G should be able to replace the fiber in highly crowded city areas. This means setting up base stations next to all kinds of business centres, etc.
>Are they going to keep 3G/4G around for longer range?
Yes, LTE is not going anywhere. As the name implies, the "Long Term Evolution" will stick for a couple more years.
>One more thing about the weather, is fog your worst enemy?
Not sure about that, haven't seen much reports on the fog being harmful to the overall signal quality.

Verizon will be the first American network to take the leap to 5G.
5G will be a complete mesh network, with repeaters replacing towers. They're gonna he affixed to the corners and rooftops of buildings.
We will use it to gain back the T-Mobile flipflopping crowd.
Verizon Stronk.
Big Red shall rise again.

Must be nice to live in an ethnostate with a NatSoc economy. I wonder how long until they go the way of Sweden.

Attached: 1460017471816.png (947x2220, 1.21M)

>gun (we had a project like that at Nokia)
Unsurprising given it's the Finns, I mean that in a good way.
Anyway, thanks mate. Makes a bit more sense now how they'll get around the range issues. Just need a breakthrough in battery tech so that downloading at 40 Gbit/s won't drain the battery faster than browsing here drains my will to live.

Enjoy your 5g house brick phones, faggots.

I'll stick to my streamlined s8 plus thank you very much.

Same, I'm from Switzerland and here I get unlimited data (4G), unlimited texts and unlimited calls within provider network and landlines for around 25-30$/month. I'm allowed to put the SIM in a 4G router and use it with my PC as well.

Bump

Finland stronk

I work at nokia AMA.

3G being removed from many remote locations (at first) in Greece in the next 2 years.
Many Airscale units have already been installed (at least in Crete, where i work)

No. Nokia is dope.

IoT has come ladies!

5G phones are the same size

Wtf is the point in upgrading when I get 5mbps on 4g

5G seems like a huge meme at the moment. All the ads for it among the normalfag media is that it's going to revolutionize stuff because muh low latency, "doctors are going to do remote surgery over the internet with VR over 5G" as if 5G has lower latency than cable and ignoring the fact that the 5G signal is going to go into fiber cables anyway once it reaches the tower. Sure it could be more bandwidth, but most LTE doesn't even reach the max of LTE's and to be honest getting +50Mps on a phone is enough already to do 99% of the things people are ever going to do on a phone.

it's fucking bullshit LTE has been for at best 5 years in most countries. hype is purposefully generated so carriers would pay more radio licences, and pay another billions of euros for new equipment.

>Mainly IoT
bull crap, most IoT connects either via wifi, bluetooth or some unusual interface. and there's a good fucking reason why IoT shit shouldn't be easily accessible via net or to have unique public ip.
>Stuff like
>self driving cars
just fucking how, faster data rates are needed to make self driving cars more viable ?
surprise, surprise, there already is a dedicated band for V2V communication (somewhere in the middle 5GHz) with amazing spectral efficiency of 1bit/Hz
>and telemedicine
i've seen this shit being thrown at every new infrastructure deployment (EDGE/UMTS/HSPA/LTE/national broadband) and closest you can get to "telemedicine" is webMD or some shitty website run by your hospital where you may be able to download your results.