Honestly, why would anyone go through the hassle of using Linux as a daily driver...

Honestly, why would anyone go through the hassle of using Linux as a daily driver, when Windows can do everything Linux does and more?

Attached: deja_q_hd_046_resized_6484.jpg (350x263, 62K)

I would think Linux is good exercise for programming, developing and troubleshooting.

But there's literally no reason to use Linux casually.

Attached: 1504733504325.gif (300x169, 1.94M)

It's nice to not have ads smacked into your face every time you press start or open an application

At least everything works the way it's supposed to.

> when Windows can do everything Linux does and more
Nope

Good thing I know how to use windows 10 because I never see ads

Yep

I am starting my first job as a graduate in August. If they ask me whether I want Windows or Linux, what should I choose? I have no Linux experience

If you have the ability to choose, go with what you're most comfortable with.

Yeah I thought that, might be more impressive if I choose Linux you know. Im a quick learner

If you want to impress with Linux, try using some distros up until you start the job.

Pro tip. You already got the job. You don't need to impress them anymore. Focus on learning how to do your job well.

>he doesn't use Windows 7

Attached: kek_wtf.gif (200x200, 1.79M)

Why would anyone use a screwdriver when, with enough force, i can just hammer screws into the wall?

few reasons : decent ui, decent programming environment, building packages from source so my running distro is under 200 megs of ram. You know, i like actually being able to use my ram for stuff instead of heaving the os masturbate with it.

>hassle
Confirmed for never even trying Linux let alone using it for a longer period of time. I use both daily and Windows is more hassle of the two.

Good advice bois, I guess getting the job done is more important than anything. I'll fix myself up with Arch when I get a new desktop PC at home.

if your goal is to lean linux then arch or gentoo are amazing starting points. Just kick the chic out of the nest to teach it flying^^ and both documentations/wikis are really cool, even for completely different distros.

There is no "at least" here. Adds in the way they work right now are irredeemably unforgivable, and absolutely unecessary

Good luck running modern Windows on low-end hardware. Also stuff like package managers are a nice thing to have.

>He compiles from source
Lmao what a retard, do you have nothing better to do?

How is spamming ads the way it's supposed to work?

Can Windows run headless now? Can you run it as a headless server with the OS itself using hardly any resources at all? I'm asking this genuinely, not sarcastically. I would definitely try some kind of Windows server if it wasn't total shit, as I have a Mac mini HTPC that I'd rather have running headless and *not* run Linux. I've got a ton of Linux servers already, between the 3 physical servers and the 4 virtual servers on one of those machines, so I really want to do something different with my HTPC. It's only accessible remotely if you're part of my VPN so I'm not as concerned about the security risks of a Windows server.

Can you work (easily) on the linux kernel on windows tho?

since i for example need a customized gcc for work... nope. But try patching the visual studio^^

iirc windows server 2016 does have a headless version

honestly at this point i find everything in linux is just simpler to use.
package managers are comfy, bash shell is comfy. on top of this you get so much choice for distros and DEs/WMs

Why would anyone submit to the botnet when freedom lets you do everything and more?

i have cl.exe and a hex editor on this computer, what should i do with it

This is, in fact, why I stopped using Linux. During my late teenage years, I hopped onto the Linux bandwagon, and I thought it was the most awesome thing ever. After setting it all up so that it perfectly fit my aesthetic and software preferences, I thought to myself "now I can finally stop using Windows!"

I was dead fucking wrong. The simple fact of the matter is, there are a lot of things you can easily do on Windows which are a pain in the ass to do on Linux. This leads to dual-booting. I found myself restarting my computer at least once or twice a day because I had to do some shit in Windows or because I needed to play a game that only works on Windows. And one day I just think to myself: "Why the fuck do I keep booting up Linux when Windows can do all of the same shit anyway?"

Here we are several years later, and I still don't miss Linux at all. I would say that the only reason one should use Linux would be for a dedicated server of some sort, or if you program for a living.

>people who refer to things as a "daily driver"
*snap*

>muh gayming

>Windows can do everything Linux does and more
linux has better programming tools

>botnet
Fucking freetard like you have nothing important to hide.

Use whatever you want you dumb faggot

Used Linux casually in 2007.
Shit was way rad, daddy'o

> it just works

>spending hours trying to get a network adapter to work
That's my experience of linux

maybe 10 years ago

was this back in early 2000s or are you just retarded?

Xubuntu
ahh, now there was a LIVE-CD.

Laptops are still a thing you know

Most lan and wlan chips are supported out the box these days

>Windows can do everything Linux does and more
>and more
Yeah, I really wish my linux machine could do this desu

Attached: windows-8-blue-screen-header.png (650x269, 30K)

Both.

I exclusively run linux on my laptops. Not to mention my ultrabooks. I have NO ISSUES. So yes, I go back to:
> are you just retarded

This is just on my personal side; I manage Linux servers from bare-metal to virtual and have no issues. again:
> are you just retarded

I do recall there was a list of non-working chips

yes
yes

On any half-way decent machine, this takes very little time and offers a lot of flexibility. In a lot of source-based distros, this also means it's quicker to add your own packages, and when shit breaks, you know where the source code is.

Then why the fuck can I just plug my PS3 controller into my Linux system and use it to play a game while attempts to do the same to using a Windows laptop involved me trying to coax the OS for an hour before eventually finding out that it requires some skeevy shareware and it doesn't act like a real driver?

>Gaming on Linux
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Actually, yes.

>computer gaymen
wew

>hex editor
This severely limits you

Linus Tech Tips once bought a network adapter that only had Linux drivers and then had to buy another, more expensive, one that supported Windows.

Unlike most of the freetards here, many people have used Windows in the last 20 years, and know most of your memes (they're not actual complaints) were fixed around the Vista timeframe. For example:

It uses RAM as a disk cache. I've lost count how many times I've explained this to the mon/g/s here. What the blue fuck is the point of having 16GB of RAM, but insisting that only 2GB be used at any given time?

This is, of course, yet another freetard argument from ignorance. The Windows memory manager is different and more modern that Linux's - and so by freetard logic, "wrong".

Windows 8.1 runs on a P4 with 1GB RAM. Not great, but it does work.

Hell, I ran Windows 2000 headless. If you're talking about Server Core, that came along with Windows Server 2008. And then there's Nano Server, which is a total weirdo. And can you define "hardly any resources"? After all, Windows hasn't pushed hardware since Vista (see above).

Even easier than on bare hardware. We call it "Hyper-V". It's actually kind of neat.

These are about the only vaguely legit points in the whole thread. My personal opinion is that package managers are for the lazy, bash is a horrid legacy CLI, and the choice argument backfires horribly: having to target 3^42 different kernel/package management/DE combinations is why nobody (important) wants to support Linux.

Meme. Little connection to reality.

This. But these days we have VMs and WSL, so you can have your Linux and eat it too if you're the

(cont'd)

This is the thing - it's ALWAYS 10 years ago in Linux land. Endless weird issues that haven't been a problem in Windows (or macOS, for that matter) for decades, suddenly crop up - and all you can offer is "user error". You guys really need some introspection on your 1% market share.

I just kek'd.

Most based user I've ever seen.

>Windows 8.1 runs on a P4 with 1GB RAM. Not great, but it does work.
That's the thing. Why should I use Windows, when some lightweight distro runs better, I don't use any Windows specific software and I'm already comfortable working with said distro?

why would you post multiple bait threads using the same bait?

> Sitting in nano , then having to feed it to a command-line compiler is not "better", and never has been. Just ask anybody who actually develops for a living.

I develop for a living. I have not ever executed the "nano" binary on purpose. The shell is better.

You either don't code for a living or you haven't been doing it for long if you think that is how you code.

okay boi

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-19_22-41-01.jpg (5520x1200, 1.47M)

The fuck is this even supposed to show?

Enjoy your first week on Jow Forums.

>Another meme with no connection to reality. Sitting in nano , then having to feed it to a command-line compiler is not "better", and never has been.
There are people who actually think this happens.
>Just ask anybody who actually develops for a living.
Well, that would exclude you, apparently.

some gay as fuck wallpapers

>Reinstalling your OS for fixing it is a normal use case
This shit still shilled like the best thing in tech.

>Windows 8.1 runs on a P4 with 1GB RAM. Not great, but it does work.
Even 2GB is shit with "supported" windows.

honestly, because it's easier to use for me. windows makes no fucking sense to me anymore after like 2 years of only using it for vidya.
>install arch
>everything just werks by the time I get a wm installed

>install w7
>spend easily over an hour setting up post-install
if you want just werks just install arch senpai.

>Meme. Little connection to reality.
As your whole post.

>install arch
>spend 2 hours following a wiki on how to install it

>install windows 10
>click on next 5 times
>done
Yeah, ok

>2 hours
are you like actually retarded? it took me at most an hour when I did it my first time and I had no idea what the fuck anything the wiki was telling me to do actually did.
you can just use an install script if it's that hard for you too btw.

>he needs a tutorial to install a linux system from chroot and still visits Jow Forums
>he also lies about windows installation process

Attached: 1425123452353.webm (506x380, 97K)

>He had to reinstall arch so many times he memorized the process
Lmao @ your life

Windows is shit. Costs money. Linux is shit. Its free.

>Pick one

windows really fucking sucks for a variety of things
their command line is cancer
no package manager
the absolute state of the %filesystem%
way too few things interfacing to plaintext
there is absolutely no reason to try and understand what it does

Attached: Warioloafing.png (2329x2027, 2.65M)

>Unlike most of the freetards here, many people have used Windows in the last 20 years, and know most of your memes (they're not actual complaints) were fixed around the Vista timeframe.
My respect for Google Translate just went up but it still has a few issues. It didn't translate "I use both daily" from English to Hindi so you missed that part. It was a pretty vital part.

When people are comfortably using Linux(+GNU) they aren't worse than the average person at using Windows. In fact they are still better at it. When the roles are reversed it's nothing like that. People who use Windows may know nothing about Linux and using it for the first time is stressful and difficult. Not because it's bad, it's just totally different from the ground up. They aren't great experts anymore, they are now total retards who can't even figure out the simplest things and that triggers them badly. This would also happen with Windows if everyone was automatically familiar with Linux(+GNU). It's not any easier or more logical.

Practically every computer comes with Windows preinstalled. People who change it to Linux(+GNU) have to do some research so they can replace the default system. It would be very, very rare that Linux(+GNU) users wouldn't also know their way around Windows well.

Attached: 1516297983089.jpg (715x557, 20K)

linux has way better performance due to no legacy bloat, and no analytics or bloatware slowing it down.
where something works on windows (e.g. miracast) that "doesn't" with linux, ot is due to vendor lockin for third party products, and lack of adoption for the open source software that accomplishes the same task

You are a contrarian and a moron, enjoy your spyware.

>$5 key on eBay is too much

linux

customizability, all around better if youre a software developer. Increases my productivity a lot

>play a game

stopped reading there

>installs ©Microsoft™©™ software in the background even if it's shit and you don't want/need it
>prevents you from completely disabling this malware-tier behaviour
ah yes, wonderful OS

i don't use windows because it works like shit.

Rams usage mostly and old computers.

Attached: 1501741935594.png (138x160, 9K)

That would be much nicer then just random black screens. Inb4 I'm holding linux wrong.

I don't know about you but I would like to see more data than "we're collecting info". At least Linux will tell you what's happening if something fails.