What has this thing done in the last 20 years to continue being relevant and rich?

What has this thing done in the last 20 years to continue being relevant and rich?

Attached: ibvm.png (1200x480, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_(supercomputer)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_POWER_microprocessors
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They exist because the US government exists. They don't have to do fuckall else but service them to stay afloat.

They keep hiring lawyers and suing everyone else for "patent infringement".

This is what all those big shit companies do (HP, Cisco, etc). They stopped innovating years ago. Now they just lobby and hire lawyers to "innovate".

>They aren't doing something in the consumer market, so they're not doing anything

Attached: 145368527400.png (300x384, 172K)

IBMs main business is in consulting.

They run corporate America
You can go to any top 500 company and they will use something from IBM
Also CPU lithography is powered by their stolen alien black magic tech given to them by the US government

IBM Plex

This

t. retard

This, whether it be software, hardware, or just consulting they are everywhere still. Although I would say the hardware end is dying out.

servers

mainframe licensing

R&D

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_(supercomputer)

Powering the world's most powerful supercomputer?

Selling Linux "solutions" to old, gray, and somewhat demented Fortune 500 IT departments who still have "nobody got fired for buying IBM" ringing in their ears.
Charging billions of dollars for support - Linux is the go-to because it's great for doing "vendor lock-in through obscurity".
Icky Blue Muck stays rich, powerful and profitable for centuries.
PROFIT.

I remember, it has its own unix OS, or am i wrong?

>research division keeps US universities at the forefront of scientific research thanks to bleeding edge supercomputers
>based IBM Plex
that's about it

this.

shit like this is why it took forever to see things like VT-x in x86 for instance because retarded LPAR patents.

except they aren't doing anything in *any* market
even their cutting-edge AI division is getting severely cut down because they can't figure out how to market that shit

we have z/OS, but in the research division I've never been asked to even touch it, and my coworkers would probably give you a blank stare if you asked them what it's about or how to use it.

AIX
pray that you never get to admin it

It’s just like other Unix system

it's not
it's a speshul little snowflake in all the bad ways

They still have a presence in datacenters, although their physical rack mounted servers are now branded as Lenovo. We run their servers for our sap systems which run like 2tb a box, and we run their a9k flash storage for our san

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_POWER_microprocessors

The Summit supercomputer contains thousands of the POWER CPUs and I'm certain they were contracted to install and support it too.

that's a statistically insignificant outlier
the fact is AMD64 holds almost the entire servers market and POWER hasn't made any significant gains
I'd certainly like more diversity in this market, but that's just how it is

IBM isn't in the server market. IBM is in the supercomputer market.

>IBM isn't in the server market.
Of course they are. What do you think POWER is used for?
>IBM is in the supercomputer market.
And the only thing they're getting out of it is PR and some research because the market is just too niche. It's not going to save them either way.

They renamed themselves Lenovo

If you have to ask, you should get off this board.

MAINFRAMES
you dumb nigger

but they just built a massive supercomputer along nvidia, and are launching new cpus/mainframes regularly

This.
/thread

mainframes, PowerX CPU architecture for workstations/servers, supercomputers, research, consulting.
IBM sold any remnance of their consumer divisions years ago

My coworker once spoke to a representative of IBM at a talk or something and apparently the guy said IBM is on the absolute shitter, and everything they're into right now is hot garbage.

Power architecture is in microcontrollers and microprocessors too

IBM still sells tons of "enterprise" software, they make tons of money on mainframes and COBOL compilers, and rake in the cash in "support fees" for all the above.
All of the money they make is then spent at IBM's various research departments.

At the end of the day, IBM is still one of the leading researching firms in the world.
They attract the best talent for their research departments, then fill their programming departments with cheap H1Bs to keep costs down so they can afford a small army of PhDs.

Consulting

This. Running a x3500 M4 as a workstation and it performs better than most prebuilt desktops and even some selfbuilt PCs.

in my division the h1bs are paid the same as Americans (???)

Supercomputers, stuff for enterprises, AI and CPUs for most consoles.

what does h1b mean?

a work visa basically

>CPUs for most consoles
They use either AMD or Nvidia CPUs now

Attached: image.jpg (600x284, 151K)

THISS
there's still no real alternative to the speed cobol runs thru flat files on tape drives

Shitskins.

>t.buttblasted kikes

That's because HPC research is mostly on distributed systems to exploit them so that they can match up the mainframes. Why would you want to do a research on a centralized system whose security, reliability & availability are superior already and without any complexity that distributed systems introduce? There is nothing much you can get from it.

started playing with shitcoins apparently

pic related

Attached: POWER9.jpg (580x537, 172K)

How we save power architecture from IBM? I am pretty sure AMD or nvidia would use way better IBM assets than IBM themselves.

Attached: 1499455833073 (1).jpg (1272x544, 115K)