How do we save the linux project?

how do we save the linux project?

Attached: Screen-Shot-2018-09-19-at-1.46.52-PM.png (907x342, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9P_(protocol)
harvey-os.org/
dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

time to abandon it for a better operating system
we just have to figure out which one

>inb4 linux isn't an operating system

FreeBSD, my man.

probably a stupid question but can you install programs made for linux on freebsd?

I'm sorry, I actually don't know. I imagine BSD is a pain in the ass. Compatibility with Linux can be hit and miss, I can only imagine how bad something more obscure like BSD is.

ok
i'm unironically considering installing gentoo so i can just compile everything

why do you want to compile everything?

can you source your argument you fucking retard
i have no idea what youre talking about

wait, what happened?

install Plan9

A 50 y/o got fired from his job because he didn't know how to use computers

*50 y/o boomer

then you don't have to worry about stuff being in your distro's repositories and being out of date
i'm using Debian right now and i've had that happen to me a lot
Void Linux also seems cool but it doesn't have the linux-libre kernel in its repos
what is plan9 even like? is that the one that's really lightweight?

It's a reddit comment, that's the source. All I did was google images linux coc and that was one of the results.
Linux now has a code of conduct because of a sjw. The coc isn't really a big deal, it's common sense stuff, but the sjw who implemented it has gotten people kicked off of open source projects before for hate speech, so some people are worried.

>then you don't have to worry about stuff being in your distro's repositories and being out of date
It's annoying, but not that hard to fix. Compiling your own programs sounds more annoying imo.

wouldn't you have to compile them yourself anyway if they aren't in the repos? at least if i have to do that all the time anyway i would be used to it plus it's probably a lot easier using portage, idk i don't have a lot of experience with compilation

I was just memeing I've never used plan9. It has some cool features though.
Compiling is almost always better than installing binaries, the only annoyance is it can take a while because automake is retarded.

what cool features? too lazy to look it up lol

Mainly the filesystem abstraction. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9P_(protocol)
Plan 9 is kinda like a modern extension of Unix and Unix ideas.

Also there is a modern successor to plan 9 harvey-os.org/

I just go to the programs website, copy and paste the wget command into terminal, and update, then install, boom easy peasy.

you mean like with a .deb file? not all programs have those

cool
Harvey OS is kind of a weird name though

Wine as an example, because Ubuntu always has an old ass version of it:
wget -nc dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable

yeah that's assuming there's a repository available with .deb files in it, not all programs have those
and it would be nice to just have all of your programs up to date including the ones that are in ubuntu/debian repos but are out of date because i'm not going to add a repo for every one of them

What are you installing? I rarely have this problem. I'm not saying this isn't a problem, I'm just genuinely curious.

the last thing I remember trying to compile was Steam's Proton fork of Wine to use it without the Steam client but I ended up giving up because it was too damn difficult

I see, I believe it.