Whats the best desktop youtube player? Minitube is nice, anything better?

Whats the best desktop youtube player? Minitube is nice, anything better?

Attached: minitube-1.jpg (1000x623, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube/issues/793
github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube/pull/867
scoop.sh/
youtube.com/watch?v=cbG34c1qorQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sNTdxN6Zgmw
cadence.gq/cloudtube/dQw4w9WgXcQ
github.com/vayan/external-video
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/15271
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

$ mpv

mps-youtube

Freetube.
MPV shills need to fuck off.

This is the correct answer, if you want the best quality and maximum comfiness levels

Attached: 1501491946371.gif (512x384, 2.56M)

What's a desktop YouTube player?
Enlighten me, what am I missing out on?

Was going to say. Whats the setting for quality

-F to get the possible quality options
-f for setting quality
I usually use -f 22 for 720p

Why not just use mpv.conf so you don't type it out everytime?

You can specify youtube-dl video selection options via --ytdl-format. By default it combines the best video and audio stream (if you have ffmpeg) or uses the overall best video.
If you want the best audio, but a smaller resolution you could use something like this
mpv --ytdl-format "bestvideo[height

--ytdl-format=bestaudio+bestvideo/best
See youtube-dl docs

Why would you need a desktop youtube player?
Just use your web browser like a normal human.

I don't need to, I just set playerargs on mpsyt to

Because some people are actually competent with computers and want the best quality and all the other features mpv+ytdl comes with. Being able to cache the whole video is pretty nice too.

>best quality
As if it makes a huge difference lmao

I don't like YT's layout for quite some time now.

Its noticeable on my display. I don't have some cheap thinkpad.

using a browser to watch youtube videos is extremely CPU intensive.

For one, you can view age-restricted youtube videos without a Google account. Actually you can do this anyway, because Youtube only restricts the main site and URLs, but youtube-dl bypasses it automatically.
Using mpv produces better quality and uses less system resources than the bloated javascript served to whatever default ffmpeg the browser ships with.

>extremely CPU intensive
This shouldn't be an issue if you have a somewhat modern pc

enjoy your spyware faggot
github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube/issues/793

enjoy your patch, faggot
github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube/pull/867

win 7 here
never used mpv or youtube-dl
what's the easiest way to use both to watch youtube videos

(not xim) it's not a "problem", but it's a drain on resources and battery life that could be used elsewhere, or not used at all.

Plus, you bypass all of {[(G**gle)]}'s JS/browser-based tracking.

google chrome

The absolute state of Jow Forums

scoop.sh/

scoop install mpv
scoop install youtube-dl

Stream youtube video directly:
mpv youtube.com/watch?v=cbG34c1qorQ

Download youtube video:
youtube-dl youtube.com/watch?v=cbG34c1qorQ

Download youtube video, extract audio, and convert to mp3 (requires ffmpeg):
scoop install ffmpeg
youtube-dl -x --audio-format youtube.com/watch?v=sNTdxN6Zgmw

Attached: 1501759285999.jpg (1054x1060, 76K)

I just set up mpv to try this out.

You gotta set it up to accept YT playlists, every video takes like 20 seconds to process, and the loading is throttled by YT to 200kb/s.

And in spite of all that, it uses...just as much memory as a chrome tab. Nice going, faggots.

b8

smtube+smplayer

cadence.gq/cloudtube/dQw4w9WgXcQ

Proof, faggot. The other problems are all searchable online and have no solutions.

Attached: Og6m9aF.png (186x157, 11K)

>what is cache
If you want to use less mem than use the conf file

youtube-dl interprets the page and then downloads the video, so it'll have to spike in memory real quick. mpv playing it is caching the entire video. If you replay it, it won't download again

>le cache

The total size of the video is less than 20Mb. You just admitted it's as resource hungry as a chrome tab and are trying to pull solutions out of your ass.

I wanted it to be a viable option for playing music playlists in the background, but as is, it's just an autistic and ramshackle alternative that's no better than the regular thing.

>.exe

Attached: 1426875680671.jpg (400x371, 48K)

Feedbro RSS reader
github.com/vayan/external-video to automatically open youtube links in mpv in one click (linux/firefox)

Youtube subscriptions go to rss feed in browser, click on them and they open in mpv
comfy

sure thing retard

Attached: hmmm.png (1724x60, 11K)

youtube-viewer with mpv.

it's only shit because of vp9. If your PC hardware is too old, it's not going to have the appropriate hardware decoder so it's going to resort to software decoding. Even if you do have hardware for it, it's not a guarantee, especially on Chrome. For whatever fucking reason, google refuses to distribute Chrome with hardware vp9 decoding enabled.

>20mb
the frames are not 20mb, they're a lot larger when decoded
are you using software decoding or hardware copyback decoding?

>set it to accept playlists
lolno, it already accepts playlists byndefault. Just put in the playlist URL

Actually try playing something, open anus faggot

This is also a lie, I just tried going back and forth in a playlist and it loads from the beginning just as usual. The whole thing is a charade.

Another retard. It specifically does not accept YT playlists without altering the url or forcing ytdl. For fucks sakes, I'm not wasting time on you addlebrained supreme gentoomales.

no it isn't a lie, that's actually how it works. learn to code instead of being a degenerate

>works fine for others
>act like a child and put the blame on the software
classic

>doesn't replay video
>goes to different video then back to old video

of course it redownloads, fucking idiot

>n-no you're just holding it wrong!

Looks like I triggered the mpvirgin crowd. I bet you mama's boys also use libreoffice and gimp, lol.

Chrome

You have to be 18+ to post here.

So go back to bed, child.

Of course it re-downloads... At 200kb/s. Look up the throttling problem for yourself.

github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/15271

This whole thing is a crock, just stick to the browser. If your POS computer can't handle it, get out of mama's basement and get a fucking job.

still searching for a youtube player that would play all my subscribed channels new videos in a single playlist.
using kodi currently but it's bloatware...

@66834002
gr8 b8

Literally said it was fixed in the link you previded. Cringe

>Because some people are actually competent with computers
>Some of as are competent at wanking, and thus use left hand only.

For fucks sake, using harder (yet trivial) way to watch videos on fucking YouTube doesn't make you competent in anything.

>harder
Your ignorance is showing. I click a link and mpv auto opens.

Fpbp.

Attached: mpv-shot0189.jpg (640x480, 59K)

mpv + your favorite GUI + youtubedl

smplayer + smtube

Yes, it's harder, yet not so hard that doing so makes you "competent with computers". Lol.

Why is it harder?

Why? You have to do extra work instead of just doing everything on your browser ffs.

But I use mpv anyways for media. It was already set up.

What did you expect from a retard?

>It specifically does not accept YT playlists without altering the url or forcing ytdl
I'm not sure what you are on about. It works just fine.

>I wanted it to be a viable option for playing music playlists in the background
Then add --no-video to the command. This way it'll only play the audio and not the video stream. Especially useful if you have problems with your internet connection.

Attached: mpv_YT-playlist.webm (954x435, 80K)

>tfw can't play 1080p unless watching on the website itself

Attached: 1493319392383.gif (640x480, 237K)

>lmao waste resources for no reason

Attached: 1512287655455.png (936x772, 28K)

Doesn't manage subscription and playlists

Did you even read the post you're replying to?

you are lying. i regularly play 1080p using mpv and youtube-dl

how is it harder. on systems with less resources, i would rather use mpv than youtube taking ages to load each page due to botnet tracking.
how is this so difficult for you to comprehend

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-22_18-25-38.png (1280x800, 142K)

>It specifically does not accept YT playlists without altering the url or forcing ytdl
It does, you fucking faggot. Are you trying to paste a link with a '&' in it? Try using the playlist itself. Not a video with a playlist at the side.

>you are lying. i regularly play 1080p using mpv and youtube-dl
Are you sure it is actually pulling 1080p videos? Last time I checked, the API only allowed 720p at most.

Could you make this intercept youtube in browser or in app. Very frustrating to get the same fucking uber eats ad all the fucking time.

youtube-dl isn't built around the youtube API. You can download (or watch) any available resolution.

Attached: youtube-dl_selection.png (1192x611, 97K)