Do you use pic related? Its the most overhyped useless proprietary documentation nightmare in my experiences, desu~

Do you use pic related? Its the most overhyped useless proprietary documentation nightmare in my experiences, desu~

Attached: cargo_cult_devops.png (2000x589, 115K)

How is it proprietary?

I like it because it make things easier, I’m sorry you’re retarded

Attached: B5016E3C-B79A-4EA7-AC0D-EA87228ACA79.gif (500x640, 970K)

yeah i'd rather babysit a server farm and generally take 10x as long to do my job.

People use Docker because they don't know about FreeBSD jails. I they think containers are the solution to their problem they should have used BSD instead of Linux moons ago. But these hipsters only use a "trendy" technology like Docker even if it's just a re-implementation of something else.

>blah blah blah this thing does it so goodly.

then why does no one use it? checkmate retard.

learn to read
>they don't know about FreeBSD jails

when drew houston debuted dropbox on HN, you must have been one of those faggot neckbeards mashing the keyboard that it wasn't that impressive and you could do it yourself with rsync in an hour. surprise dumbass, welcome to the 21st century. you can't just make something and expect everyone to flock to it because it's superior. if you don't have any business/marketing acumen then your idea isn't getting noticed.

its open source. try again
it even uses files directly from repository then compiles it.

what do you use it for anyway? its a tool for specific people

Docker is devs (who are now also the sysadmins, because they fired the sysadmins to save money, calling it devops) saying "Patching VMs is a pain! It's boring grunt work and it causes problems, can't we abstract all this shit away somehow?" Of course the answer to that is no, you can't, but they tried anyway. So now, as the saying goes, they have two problems. They still need to patch shit and worry about security, but now it's buried under this containerization layer. Further out of sight, further out of mind.

It was literally just a python wrapper overboard lxc (cgroups and namespaces) initially. You are still free to use the primitives if you’d prefer to be more autistic

I doubt that. the more likely answer is you're oversimplifying what docker, docker-compose and what kubernetes does.

this is simply incorrect. what it really was is a way to separate the code people care about from the ongoing maintainence of the backends that provide persistent storage and compute.

That sounds like chroot jails. BTW, I'd rather just stick with linux.

this. OP clearly has never worked with any real software in his life

That's the theory of it, in practice it's just an excuse to neglect both maintenance of the application and maintenance of the backend. You can see that in how you're encouraged to think of a container as a black-box sort of thing. It has stuff in it that runs your application, and you aren't supposed to much care about what that is. Certainly you shouldn't try to ssh into the thing or anything, if it has a problem you destroy it and spin up a new one exactly like it. Which is a recipe for having a container image full of shit with security holes, because hey, the thing's working, right? There was an article a while back on the decrepit state of a bunch of stuff you find on docker hub, for just that reason. Grab it and spin it up, that security shit is someone else's problem!

Same with the backend. You have a nice pre-rolled excuse that, because all the applications you're running in containers are strongly isolated, well, the host system isn't much of a concern, then, is it? Why migrate a ton of containers, patch something on the actual machine, and then move them back, it's disruptive, don't touch a running system.

Or in other words, the places that were doing security right (very few of them) with vanilla VMs are able to do it right with containers, the places that don't just have more excuses and hide their unpatched shit behind one more abstraction layer.

The problem with containers and "cloud" is people migrating 1 to 1 from traditional infrastructure and thinking it will magically solve issues. Containers should not be patched nor maintained, they should be often destroyed and re-deployed from newer images with latest patches. That implies that applications are scalable and not monolithic.

It has its use cases but if you're on AWS (and if a business is tempted by containers, they are likely interested in "cloud" as well) I don't see much point over customized AMIs with autoscaling. Personally I'd rather work with regular VMs than containers.

We use it for some of the projects at work. I can't comment on how useful it is once deployed but in development it saves a fuck tonne of time. Open almost any project and run docker-compose up then go. Doesn't matter which OS I'm on and it won't mess up my other projects. Love it.

>Certainly you shouldn't try to ssh into the thing or anything
`docker-compose exec bash` will open a shell in your container and this is encouraged behaviour.

Seems useful from my limited experience. We're not even using containers in prod yet though.

this is what NEETs actually believe

oh god sometimes I come to Jow Forums to see how to feels to be a retard

>FreeBSD user calling others hipsters

Qubes > FreeBSD if you are looking for your OS to do containerization for you

Explain to me why use this vs a VM

You have an outdated conception of computing and no understanding of Docker. A machine running init, SSH, syslog, etc. etc. plus your app has way more security holes than a container running only your app.

vm
>something goes wrong on server
>rdp/ssh to it
>figure it out why something is wrong
>spend two hours
>its just a bad config from the update last week
>fix it
>make backups
>restart it and pray it boots up
>done

docker/containers
>something goes wrong one of the server
>lmao just delete it
>put up new container within a minute
>done

vm
>something goes wrong
>lmao just load a snapshot

fixed

it's not even a VM, it's a normal process started with many isolation parameters like namespaces, capabilities and cgroups, it takes just as a normal process needs

>Dockershit
>Not using systemd-nspawn containers
glory to Red Hat

Attached: f3372968504.jpg (1600x1200, 667K)