How realistic/ hard would it be to solder your own motherboard?

How realistic/ hard would it be to solder your own motherboard?
I'm talking about buying every part separately (chipset, PCB, modules, capacitors, socket, etc...) and have it actually work with a modern day processor?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rdT1YT9AOPA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

impossible

>realistic
How can mirrors be real
>hard
Borderline impossible difficulty
>worth it
Hell no
>possible
yes

didnt a guy build an iphone in china using just parts?

>I'm talking about buying every part separately (chipset, PCB, modules, capacitors, socket, etc...) and have it actually work with a modern day processor?
Pretty much impossible because motherboards have their traces drawn by machines, one tiny fuck up and it won't work.

Could you fit it in an ATX form factor? Hell no.

youtube.com/watch?v=rdT1YT9AOPA

maybe its possible for Pentium-1, those were quite simple boards

but even the Pentium CPU is impossible thing to make by home users

Attached: 1531375443820.png (990x682, 580K)

Stupid.

Making the PCB yourself isn't happening, you could design one yourself if you got a hold of all the appropriate datasheets and get it fabbed as a one off.
The rest is easily doable, but it'll end up costing you hundreds more than buying an off the shelf product.

If you really just want to do it for fun, watch some louis rossman videos on soldering and repair, then start out by getting an old board and resoldering everything.

he was in a fab

It's probably not impossible, but a motherboard really doesn't cost that much user, you will definitely be spending a lot more on making your own than if you were to just buy one. It's not a worthwhile endeavour.

you aren't going to find a dumbed-down tutorial on "how to make your own motherboard at home". Is it possible? Yes. How possible?
First: resistors, inductors, capacitors and other components aren't just thrown there because they look cool, there are electrical engineer who spend quite a few hours making all the calculation in order to make it work. When you see a cool schematic amateur-ready, generally you ignore the whole designing phase.
Second: you have to read A LOT of specifications, assuming you can find them. I don't recon that indel or amd have hardware specifications publicly available for their processors. PCI and USB are going to be easy.
Third: the amount of interconnection you've to pull out is A LOT, more than you can do at hand.
Fourth: you're not going to be physically able to solder all the trillion components by hand, you're going to have it make it done, this step alone cost you as much as a new motherboard.

Sure, solder every connection of the socket, I dare you...

He spent a lot more for what is basicly worse than the shittiest refurb.

He didn't solder the parts though, just built it by assembling spare parts

>with a modern day processor
With a self-designed PCB? Probably wouldn't work. Modern components are too fast, so clock skew would be a big problem. It's not a matter of "connect the dots", you have to account for all the other shit.

With older tech? Sure, people have even made their own CPUs from discrete transistors.

First of all, you'd have to design it from scratch by yourself. You cannot just buy the same component and wire them as good as you are able to. PLenty of shit depends on the precise calculation designers do with the exact component knowledge and lot of hours of manpower.

It's not impossible. My dad worked for Lockheed Martin and said they would mainly use wave soldering since soldering everything by hand is extremely tedious. For a home project it's practical. I used to play around with modding Xbox controllers. Tiniest and most fragile parts.

Respect to console modders.

Attached: 3d2ca89d7bbcc5049453defe2e83d94cf06072b1a410cf4d7e83744116759997.png (873x675, 1.03M)

>that 30yo boomer who does not know how complex a computer is
lol

Attached: cool.png (380x349, 77K)

I would argue it's easier today than it has been before since the emergence of SoCs wherein the north/southbridge now sit on the chip rather than on board. You'll never get anything as compact though as modern mobos are multilayer boards with SMD power delivery. I believe some "modern" processors like the Core 2 Duo have existing pinout documentation, but AFAIK there's no real known pinout for most recent processors; you'd need to entirely reverse engineer a board, essentially.

Your reasoning assume that the only requirements for things to work out is just making the interconnections.
There's just a lot fucking more going on in a motherboard that just copper wires going around.