GPU longevity and durability: Jow Forumss experiences

I'm interested to know what Jow Forumss experience is with GPUs, specifically how many cards you have owned/used throughout your life and how many have become faulty before you simply replaced them due to old age.
I've owned the following GPUs throughout my life, and only 1 has not failed:
Radeon X800 - Never failed
GeForce 8600GT - never completely failed but had intermittent display issues
Radeon 6950 - failed completely after 3 years
Radeon 6970 - see the 8600GT
Radeon R9 390 - failed after 3 years, literally 1 day before warranty expired

Just purchased a 1080Ti, and I hope hoping, based on my previous experiences, I have a little more luck this time around.

Attached: powercolor-x800pro-scan-front.jpg (2376x1524, 354K)

I'm a young lad so I've only owned 2:
Radeon 5700 -Ran pretty well from 2010-2015 but was God awful loud. IT was a blower style and I never cleaned it. I traded it to my roommate for a mixer. I eventually did clean it before trading it and took off the heatsink but never reapplied thermal paste. He later said it didn't work and never booted...

GTX 970 - It's my current card and still goes strong. Due to GPU prices I think I'll be stuck with this one for a few years. It still holds it's own in 1080p gaming though.

also check'd

I primarily gamed on console so my history is fairly short, only ever had 2 gpus
Radeon 6670 - used from 2011-2015, worked well for the entire duration
RX 280x - 2015 - now, works well enough, I would replace it but I play games a lot less and dont really have the motive to upgrade a gaming pc

Gtx 1080 I have right now is still stuffed after it was fixed under warranty for bad solders or some shit
Never had a amd card outright fail except for a 6970 but it probably just needed a resold

HD 5770 asus cucore - 8 years and still working, it run at 90 - 96°C in most games I played since it was new

My GTX 970 lasted 3 years almost to the day. Relatively heavy usage but no mining.

ATI Rage 128 never failed 3yrs
ATI Radeon 9800 overclocked never failed ~5 years
Nvidia 9800GX2 overclocked, failed after 2 years
Nvidia GTX 275 never failed
Nvidia GTX 770 overclocked, failed after 3 years.
Nvidia GTX 1070 Alice after 1 year at least.

That R9 390 experience hits too close to home.

I bought mine new when the 300 series released and it worked incredibly well albeit hot until a few months ago when it died while I was reading a Wikipedia page. Thanks to MSI, I still had a warranty on it with a few months remaining that they honored.

I sent it to them and waited a month and a half without hearing anything until it showed up at my door.

I don't know if I received a new one or if they just fixed whatever was wrong with mine, but the one I received was incredibly hot out of the box. I reapplied thermal paste and it brought temps down a bit to an acceptable level and it's been working fine ever since.

TL;DR: MSI R9 390 died after 2.5 years, MSI agreed to honor warranty, and I hope my replacement lasts another 2.5 years

Attached: o9r.jpg (233x216, 7K)

>nvidia 6200 didnt fail but was shit
>nvidia 8800 gts 320mb failed after 3 years - got it working momentarily after baking in oven but it failed again
>radeon 5870 didnt really fail but i think one cap got blown considering all the smoke that came out of the card. still worked though.
>nvidia 670 didnt fail in 4 years
>nvidia 690 (bought used for cheap) hasnt failed in 2 years

>gtx 550 ti good but sold because underpowered
>hd 5870 that's sum good shit, still got two in crossfire after 5 years
>hd5770 died
>b403 no problems

>3dfx - voodoo 1 fanless worked hella good for 4 years, had to change because outdated.
>Riva Tnt 2 fanless - crashed after 2 years
>Nvidia 6600 gt - after one year the fan stopped working, had to buy a zalman replacement. The problem was well know on this model
>Ati Radeon 4850, 2 in crossfire. Those were my best buy, never failed, never had any problem with the crossfire compatibility, great longevity (and was okay with today games - medium settings)
>Nvidia gtx 1060 actual card, no problem atm.

>matrox mystique/Voodoo 2 never failed
>GeForce2 MX 400 faulty fan, ok with aftermarket "cooler"
>Radeon 9700 Pro killed because muh watercooling
>GeForce 6600 GT never failed
>hd 4870 never failed
>hd 7950 faulty fan, ziptied twin 12cm, still alive and kicking

Cant remember what I had before, but those cards never failed. As far as I can remember:

> HD 5770: Started to get noiser after 2 years (around the time the warranty runs out), sold it off on Ebay before shit could hit the fan
> HD 7850: failed two months before the warranty ran out, got a brand new replacement (which I sold off on Ebay)
> GTX 770: never failed
> GTX 1070: no problems so far

As much as I hate Nvidia's scummy tactics, the last two AMD cards shitting themselves around the time warranty runs out left a sour taste in my mouth, especially as those ran on stock voltages with no overclocking.

>Nvidia 5700LE
>Nvidia 6200
>Nvidia 730
>AMD 6850
>AMD 7970 x2
>Nvidia 980ti x2

None of them failed, always worked fine and I still have all of them. What the fuck kind of abuse do you guys put your GPUs through to constantly fuck them up?

3x Radeon 5830

One completely died after 4-5 years, no boot. One started artifacting after 4-5 years. Remaining one stopped booting a week ago but came back to life after cleaning and reapplying thermal paste, still going after 7 years.

670 died
Replacement 670 died so they gave me a 770
Grabbed a 970 on sale
Grabbed a second 970 on sale
Traded them for an r9 fury
Each I had for a year, then a year and a half later I picked up a 1080ti. Only the 670s gave me problems but EVGA was great about it.

old PCI cards from 1995 which did not require heatsink function just fine even now

I owned a 4870 that I was running at 115c without knowing and it still worked fine.

I'm a cheap fucker, so until the xp age I just went with whatever was already in my machine. And I'm still a cheap fucker, so I haven't upgraded in years.
>9500 GT lasted until I upgraded, now used in a media pc in the living room
>650Ti lasted until I upgraded, now used in a pc I gave to someone
>660 3GB edition, still being used in current main machine
I've never had a gpu die that wasn't already dead on arrival, first 660 I got I had to rma for that.

I've never had a GPU fail on me yet.

> Radeon 5670, started showing artefacts after 2 years
> Radeon 6970, artefacts/corrupted characters on BIOS after 5 or 6 years
> GTX 780, can't use any kind of GPU acceleration in Windows or Linux after 5 years, can only get to a desktop with software rendering in both operating systems

>Radeon HD4850
Failed in 4 years. Got decent use out of it so not mad.

>Radeon HD5670
5 years.
Bought used, was already faulty. Would crash in newer games for no reason. Still works fine in games like dota 2. Hasn't fully failed yet.

>Nvidia GTX 1050ti
Bought 1.5 years ago. Fan got dusty and started making a lot of noise 8 months in. Fixed that by oiling it. Been working fine till now otherwise.

>oem gt 530
died after 3 years
>GTX 570
never died
>powercolor hd 7950
fet of the vcore vrm exploded, removed that, the high side fet and desoldered the choke, ran for 1 more year, then the memory vrm also exploded
>xfx RX 470
ran for one year, then sold

X800 GTO - Died after roughly two - three years of use.
9500 GT - Died after a year, worst card I've ever owned
HD 7870 - Died after 5 years of use
I've had many more than just these but I can't be bothered to post them all, I generally expect a GPU to last 5 years, both in performance and longevity.

Radeon 6870, lasted 6.5 years until the vram died
GTX 1080, current card, not even a year old

ATI Radeon 4870 1gb - overclocked, used it for mining, never failed in 5 years, still have it in my drawer at home
ATI Radeon 5770 - overclocked, used for mining, started fucking up and showing lines and shutting down after two years, failed completely shortly after that
GTX 660 - overclocked to just about the maximum speed where it wouldn't crash, started shutting down and displaying lines after about 3 years, I put it back to stock clocks and it was good for another three before failing completely
GTX 1070 - didn't OC, just playing some gaymes with it, usually stays below 60C even though it's a single slot card, so far so good

Riva 128: never failed
Geforce 256: never failed
Geforce Ti4600: never failed
Geforce 8800GT: never failed
Geforce 560Ti: never failed
Geforce GTX960: never failed
Geforce GTX1060: never failed

Only card I had that died was my GTX 480, it caught fire.

c2q igpu
7950 chugging along to this day
it's loud as fuck so i run it at 0.8v and 580mhz-72% perf at like 50W

I'm still using a 560Ti from 2011, it's doing pretty well for me

Asus Gtx 1080 failed after a year and a half. Made asus send me a replacement, and that failed after a week.

Meanwhile, my EVGA 780ti is still chugging along just fine. Really makes you think, huh.

My 9 years old Radeon HD 5870 didnt fail so I still use it today. Replaced the thermal compound recently which makes it run at 70°C again.

>no-name 8MB gpu (most likely SiS chipset) - was pretty useless, wouldn't work in most computers.
>voodoo 3 16MB - I used this for like a year until I finally bought a decent computer. still have it.
>geforce 2 mx - came with my pre-built. used it for maybe 2 years.
>9700 pro - had it for like 2 years then sold it
>6800 gt - didn't die but had problems with dx9 games and corrupting textures
>4870 - I replaced it after 2 years thinking it had bad memory when it was actually the main RAM, it's been sat unused in a box since
>5850 - bought to replace supposed broken 4870. been used everyday for 6 years.
>290x - it died after 1 year (which is why I using the 5850 again and haven't bothered to upgrade because it happened around the time GPU prices went through the roof)

-Have at least two decent case fans
-Manage temperature and never run the graphics card above 90 or 80 (the less the better)
-if the graphics card is oc from the manufacturer and it doesn't manage heat well, underclock it.
-clean dust once every 3 months

S3 Virge, Voodoo Banshee - don't remember what happened to them.
Geforce 2, 4, FX 5200 - I think the fan died on the 4, but it might still be in a box somewhere.
Radeon 9550 - probably still works.
8600GT - died after a year or two, later got reflowed, worked for a few months then died again.
Radeon 3850 - still works
Geforce 240GT - still works
GTX 750 ti - current

HD5670 since 2012. works so good.