/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Attached: aAxP51R_460s.jpg (460x451, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-16-04
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAEYA7DF9891
bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-battlebox-essential-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-120gb-ssd-2tb-hard-drive-black/5848609.p?skuId=5848609
amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=pcpapi-20
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

can I reformat my windows installation without affecting my linux installation?

As long as your bootloader isn't on that partition, probably.

Why the fuck would you Linux bootloader be on your Windows partition?

You tell me sweetcheeks.

Not him but don't be a dick, it's just a warning.

Windows likes being installed to the first partition. If a distro gets installed to another partition, you might just select the whole drive for the bootloader instead of a specific partition during install. Formatting the first partition might fuck you up then.

mpv specific question
how do I make the screenshots work the exact same way they do with MPC-HC

also I'm on windows

Can I use vo=vaapi on the windows build of mpv? I'm not talking about hwdec=vaapi, I'm talking about the video output drivers. I'm on a shitty pentium laptop and the shaders on the integrated graphics is way too slow and drops too many frames. I figured that the best way to handle this is use intel's own video processor to do the scaling, color conversion etc.

How do they work on mpc-hc?

Add this to your configuration file

screenshot-format=png
screenshot-png-compression=8
screenshot-template='~/Pictures/%F (%P) %

screenshot-template='~/Pictures/%F (%P) %'
Remember to change the path.

>figuratively order an xbox one
>flurb burbops are delivered to my door

What do

Attached: plastipepe.png (640x400, 4K)

so i don't know much about crt monitors but i've heard that you can reduce the resolution a ton to get a 120hz refresh rate.
apparently i have an old crt monitor in storage but it only has a scart input (looks like attached pic)
2 questions, does scart support 120hz if the framerate is low enough, and can i convert hdmi or dvi or displayport to scart and still have 120hz?

Attached: file.png (288x175, 48K)

If your display only has a SCART input then it is almost certain to support only 15KHz hsync + 50-60Hz vsync. So, no.

Some people use the Windows bootloader instead of one for Linux

Hey, I'm following this OD guide >digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-16-04
to set up a VPN on my VPS, ran into some trouble. When doing this bit:

/etc/ufw/before.rules
# START OPENVPN RULES
# NAT table rules
*nat
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
# Allow traffic from OpenVPN client to wlp11s0 (change to the interface you discovered!)
-A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/8 -o wlp11s0 -j MASQUERADE
COMMIT
# END OPENVPN RULES

I keep going, then I disable/enable my ufw to get the new settings running, and this is what I get:
>ERROR: problem running ufw-init
>Bad argument `*nat'
>Error occurred at line: 78
>Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.

Is *nat wrong somehow? Mind you, I've replaced wlp11so for eth0. And then IP/PORT 10.8.0.0/8 I leave just as it is. Any ideas? Google is not helping a lot.

Will piracy and torrenting movies / p2p filesharing eventually become not free?

What happened to cute anime girl OPs?

Are any of the modern top tier TVs "dumb" TVs? I just want many inputs and TV settings. I don't want the WiFi shit. I don't want the netflix shit, etc etc.

I can build Trash level pc (for free of course) the parts are like from 2004 (propably, i am not sure, on one cpu was written 04 (i dont know why i assumed that to be year)) and i could use some help with identifying some ports on cd and floppy drives and on motherboards. I can post pictures, this one is everything i have (i took everything that looked like it could be working)

Attached: 20180722_182405(0).jpg (2048x1152, 661K)

Is there a point to having the windows firewall active when most routers supposedly have a firewall themselves? Are the router ones complete shit?

Attached: 1517689637862.png (332x339, 209K)

KYS weeb

You're rude :(

Do you want protection on a network level or protection on a per device level?

They can make it harder to copy files, for example, DRM and other methods such as disabling screen capture. And for monitoring, if you torrent popular shows, your ISP is bound to let you know. But even then, this varies by country and you can easily fix it by getting a VPN.
As long someone has or can access the data in some capacity, it will copied and shared. This is what the internet used to be all about, and now it's being demonized.

If I back up data on an external hard drive and store it somewhere and forget about it, use my pc for a few months and then go to back up my data again, will there be a significant difference in the quality of the data?

Will the external drive's data be more reliable because it hasn't been in use?

Attached: 1451256469460.png (582x832, 653K)

Anime website
it ok fren

Attached: f4ec3df40eaca84279b8c09fea9ae6fe6e7348f6ace6b6a1a7a1843c182f7c4f.jpg (720x775, 82K)

If whatsapp is already installed and verified via sms, can i take the SIM card out and use it without?

>>>r/anime

Unless you have a really shitty drive, you can expect them to be the same. But shit happens, that's why you keep backups.

I'd assume network level. All windows machines are static, both firewalls are running at the moment. my thinking was if the router one is doing its job, then why waste CPU time with software firewalls?

What situations (portable devices excluded) would I need both? or is it just best practice to have both?

Bearing in mind this is a consumer level router, better than some ISP-given trash but not close to Enterprise.

What does a standalone proxy provide that a VPN doesn't and vice versa?

Is there a program that will sort pictures into folders based on the date or location or should I write one?

I have something like 20-40GB of photos on my old phone and I want to have it a bit more organized

My computer keeps losing video signal at the most random things, what's up with this?

For example, video signal will turn off during loading screens, back on after a few seconds, and then the game will run flawlessly.

In Magic Arena just being in the main menu will turn off the video many times, in the deck selection too, but never in an actual match. What can i do?

thanks user

I would check the cable if it's consistently inconsistent, if it's as consistent as you claim it may be a driver issue. Taking a wild guess from what you've stated, it's cutting out when the GPU is changing it's power state/clock speed. If you're overclocking try not doing that.

Is there a way I can hook up my old 5.1 PC speakers to my TV without it being converted to 2 channel audio? Seems like every guide I've looked up uses an RCA cable

filenames and paths and stuff
with mpv it just saves to the desktop as "mpvshot-0001" except the number goes up each screenshot
thank you user

Interesting. this stuff DID start happening once a stupid friend installed a supervirus that turned the computer into a russian mess but that's mostly fixed (russian pages keep popping up in chrome though, wasn't able to remove that)

I've installed new drivers since, but the problem didn't stop (It's a gtx 1050 GPU)

sounds fucked. Install gentoo

Trying to use an amoled theme with Android Oreo but I'd prefer to use a FOSS app. Bucket on F-Fdroid only works on Nougat. What do?

Is this a pretty good deal for a prebuilt?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAEYA7DF9891

slavs are mining on your GPU m8, reinstall.

Get another drive, duel boot is nothing but issues

The processor is 2 generations old and the GPU is a little weak compared to some of the other bits. The only things that seem great are 32GB of ram and an i7. Consider looking on the OEM websites for prebuilts

gpu is a little weak? a little weak??? it's fucking worse than 750ti, of which you can make builds for less than 300 dollars

Attached: v3 middlefinger.jpg (689x524, 153K)

What's better, uMatrix or uBlock Origin in hard mode? Or is there another option?

Attached: 872999.jpg (1920x1080, 333K)

I thought umatrix replaced noscript, not ublock.

they complement each other

I'll have you know my answer was a guess. I haven't kept up with these things since I built my PC in 2011.

Didn't mean replace entirely, more like is ublock hard/advanced mode enough to not warrant umatrix which is what I've seen some people say

What is the highlit domain in pic related from my pihole?
I can't find anything online.

Attached: 1515869920332.png (441x198, 5K)

Will the viruses get removed if i use Fresh Install on w10? I have other partitions, but i doubt they're infected

Here's a much better specced prebuilt
bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-battlebox-essential-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-120gb-ssd-2tb-hard-drive-black/5848609.p?skuId=5848609

Anyone have any ideas on this?

I downloaded procrastitracker and now I'm beginning to realize how much time I am doing absolutely fucking nothing.

How do I start doing things again?

Attached: procrastitracker_2018-07-22_13-26-52.png (465x147, 8K)

Is there any way to fix a dead pixel on a monitor? Countless sites reference how to fix dead pixels, but they're actually talking about stuck pixels.

Find a hobby that makes you feel productive, typically these would be creative efforts like art and "maker" things.

Hi.
I'm making a small game and would like to have one of the worlds be themed around circuitry/electronics. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the subject.
What kind of specific things would you like to see in it? All I know of are capacitors and resistors, which I'll try to include.

Pic related is Jazz Jackrabbit, a game I used to play as a kid which also did the electronics themed stuff.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

I guess my post was too succinct to invite any realistic feedback; my bad.
I have a number of hobbies but I don't even get around to them because I can hardly focus on anything. Just want to surf the internet endlessly because it's easy and takes zero effort and provides immediate stimulation.

Just make lots of tubes and wires. Look up pictures of motherboards and copy some of the objects in. Also, experiment with making things different colors and highlighting, to give the effects of technology without actually needing the objects themselves. For example, battletoads really makes you feel as though you're crawling through the bowels of a machine, without having much technological stuff on screen most of the time.

Attached: battletoads.jpg (1280x720, 240K)

You could try a program called "Cold Turkey" that blocks the internet or something. Or maybe try to get yourself excited for some of those hobbies by reading and watching videos on said hobbies while you are endlessly surfing.

What are some good resources on learning pentesting or "hacking?" General offensive cybersecurity.

Anyone have recommendations for a tower fan? The AC is only in the main room and our bedroom gets too toasty.

Attached: IMG_20180301_181922.jpg (800x1307, 118K)

Where can I get clean AOSP apks? Is there a tutorial for compiling them?

I've been wondering this on and off for years.

Is there any way to encode mp3's at under 8kbs? and if not is there any lossy compression format that supports super low bitrates?

It protects against local threats like if one of your computers is compromised it will prevent malware from spreading from that computer to the rest of the computers on your network.

What about bitrot and that kind of thing? Or am I just overthinking it?

will I be able to block youtube ads with Pihole? If not, why else would I get pihole.

How so?

Is it acceptable to use the word "motherfucker" in a professional context?

MPEG-1 layer III aka "mp3" supports from 32kbs to 320kbs, the later MPEG-2 layer III standard supports 8kbs to 160kbs but the sample rate is cut in half.

Opus supports everything from 6kbit/s up and is objectively superior to either.

Speex which is from the same organization and is also open source supports as low as 2.15 kbit/s but does not do as well as other codecs at higher bitrates.

The lowest bitrate codec is called Codec 2 and it supports as low as 700 bits/s but it apparently sounds awful at that low and needs around 1.2kbits/s to be useful.

because for 20$ you can block any request on any machine on your network as simply as setting your dns server, as well as set up other cool things like NAS.

Okay. So the only situation where it makes sense to turn it off is where all machines are so heavily locked down they can't get infected and where no outside devices will be added.

So basically never.

Yeah there's not really a reason that I can think of that I'd want to turn it off. By default Windows Firewall also stops new programs from making outbound connections and notifies you about it, so you can override it on a case-by-case basis.

I just got banned from Jow Forums on my phone because of a post I never made. What likely happened?

No.

Someone posted something with an IP. The IP got banned. Your phone connected to the internet with that IP. The IP is still banned.

Is life really worth living?

This seems like it would be kind of a rare thing to happen but is there anyway to avoid this?

That's odd. I used that same tutorial many times. Are you sure that you're putting it in the correct place? I believe that you have to have it in the correct spot, you can't throw it on the bottom of the file. You're are putting it on bottom hence the line 78, the stock file only has 70 lines. I'm on mobile so I can't show you. But make sure to put it up top.

Search for this:
# Don't delete these required lines, otherwise there will be errors *filter . . .

And out the rules ABOVE that. Sudo ufw reload to set the changes.

I'm planning to buy a 4-bay enclosure with hardware RAID controller to run in RAID10 setup. Pic possibly related.
What happens if the enclosure itself dies, rather than one of the drives? Eg. the RAID controller itself, the enclosure mainboard or whatever, to the point it's not fixable? Can I just move the drives to a new enclosure of the same model and continue seamlessly? Or at least recover the data in some other way? Or is everything fucked if the enclosure dies?

Attached: image-979801-1-product[1].jpg (340x340, 7K)

happens quite often. only solution is to get a static ip.

I believe you shouldn't lose any data as long as the enclosure doesn't die in such a way that it writes garbage data or something. You might have to take some steps to recover the RAID so that your system recognizes it as such again, not sure I've had disks fall out of RAID in normal use before and had to do that anyway.

>phone IP banned
>rare thing to happen
Nigga my phone IP is banned like 99% of the time. Most of the time it's not even a temporary ban but a straight up blanket range block. Really fucking frustrating. Though I'm in SF gay area so that kinda explains why.
Only thing you can do is turn on airplane mode for a minute and hope you'll get assigned new IP from a different range when you turn it off. Changing preferred network from LTE to 3G sometimes helps too when you really need to get that shitpost out while on the go.

Is running two rx 580 8 gb worth it? I have the option to pick up a second one for 220$ and I dont want to miss the chance.

is a single one good enough for this monitor I just ordered?
amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=pcpapi-20
Is this monitor decent? I looked up "Best freesynch monitors" and this one seemed like a good deal.

Sorry, I am a mongoloid and I am in need of assistance. I have a spread sheet, and I have two lists, I would like a selection in both these boxes to result in a number, an addition specifically, in the third column.
I thought an IF statement like this;
=if(A1="example",20,if(B1="example2",4) or =SUMIF(IF(A1="example",20,OR(B1="example2",4)))
(though in reality it's much longer, the lists are big) would work however I can't find a way to add the numbers together or the formula straight up doesn't work, it just displays the "20" in the case of the first. Thanks for any help provided, I'm a stupid boy trying to learn and I can't think of the syntax to search Google with.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 9K)

Best hex editor for Windows?

Attached: hex.png (128x128, 666)

>You might have to take some steps to recover the RAID so that your system recognizes it as such again
Any pointers as to what the steps would be? Tried looking it up but not coming up with anything specific.
My fear is that when I move the (all healthy) drives to a new enclosure it may not recognize that they were in an array already and try to initialize them, thus fucking everything up. I never did RAID before so I'm a brainlet when it comes to that.

Surely there's a better way to do that.

When I moved to where I am now I couldn't post from my mobile network even if I was in my own house because it was already banned so that's probably what happened

Use a VPN?

I don't think it would reinitialize them without you telling it to... I remember I had a RAID5 that would sometimes fall out of RAID when I booted into linux from USB but can't remember how I fixed it since it was years ago, don't think it was that hard though

Why do people have to lie on the internet?

Which gamepad should I get for retropi/linux computer?

You sir are a god. Thank you for the detailed response, you've brightened my day. Watching a linux conference about codec 2 now and its fascinating.

There is, if you enjoy being Hiro's little bitch.

Attached: jews.png (462x118, 2K)

All right, thanks anyway. Still a better solution than no backup at all.

Logitech f310, plug and play on retropi