How's your game coming along?

You *are* indeed working a videogame in this day and age, right?

Attached: Untitled.png (1652x988, 551K)

Other urls found in this thread:

khronos.org/opengl/wiki/,
ogldev.atspace.co.uk/
learnopengl.com/
opengl-tutorial.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocode)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What happened to lollydev? last post i saw of him was about how he was working out urine flow rates using NIH data, he was gloating that the government was helping him make a loli game this way.

Attached: goncern.png (253x199, 6K)

it's been an opengl rendering engine for the last 2 years fml

Fuck off, neet

What has?

How hard is it to create a 3D game with a single arena and character?

Pretty vague question. You just need some javascript and Unity.

fucking pedo

There is literally nothing wrong with being a pedophile.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1600x900, 181K)

>trying to learn how to make sprite art and 8/16-bit music
>keep switching between godot and sfml
I've been slowly working on my game since December but college and life shit just keep getting in the way. I don't even have a definite art style yet so nothing to show off as far as sprites and textures go.

Attached: 1366918218100.jpg (300x294, 18K)

gret mem :D

i'm not a child, so no

Is there some guide to get me started on making games in C, I have no idea how to render things in OpenGL/SDL

Not a complete guide, you'd have to use different ones and try to integrate.

Are you sure you want to do this to yourself? At least use a modern language like C++ or Java's openGl wrapper.

I have:
A pretty fast batched renderer for animated and static models and my own binary model-format (with a converter from gltf)
Using newer opengl features I have like 2 opengl rendering calls.
Needs texture support at this point, but I have to see which way would be the best first (since I want to minimize rendering calls and memory transfers).

A 3D physics engine, which can do capsule-capsule, capsule-triangle and capsule-obb collision and resolution.
It's pretty fast too (since I kind of ignore rotation It is even faster than bullet or the like). Practically just needs a broadphase now.
Since its based on capsules I can even do CCD projectile physics. I also enjoy the interface to it, since it is kind of an immediate mode physics engine.
All memory is in your hands, and not in some stupid ass "physics world".
It's directness and simplicity is really nice. And even for that alone it was worth doing it.

Some form of "scene-graph", although mine is more like a tree of trees, so that the direction of manipulation is always clear, and the whole structure can be traversed in the most efficient way possible (just a loop through the array).
Also this way memory becomes no problem, since fragmentation doesn't happen (if one uses it the way I do).

And some convenience stuff, like a separate debug-renderer.

Everything written in C (apart from the gltf converter, which has a dependency on a library written in C++).

I'm OpenGL is obstruse because the names are just horribly confusing, but it's a C-API, so it's not hard to use in C (using "modern" languages makes using opengl harder, and not simpler).
Nowadays I just read the official documentation at khronos.org/opengl/wiki/, which might be the best place to learn about stuff if you kind of have a general idea about things.
As a complete beginner I read a ton of tutorials and all where kind of bad in some places and good in others.
I think these ones were ok:
ogldev.atspace.co.uk/
learnopengl.com/
opengl-tutorial.org/
But I don't really know.
The math is the most important anyhow, so you need to know your transforms and such.
All animation tutorials I have seen suck hard though. Maybe I should do one, but it's so much work.
Casey from Handmade Hero should do one, he knows his shit, having programmed granny.
Handmade hero is a good Ressource for a lot of things when it comes to programming vidya. And he programs everything live.

Also, I wouldn't use SDL. I'm more happy with glfw (right now, but it might change).

the gaming industry has become a heap of spam since 2012

Did Gaben do something in 2012?

I'm a stupid fucking nigger and I like writing bad amateur code in C, shouting "PERFORMANCE". Please fuck me in my pretty boy asshole and help me become a REAL programmer.

Don't be so harsh on yourself, user.

I AM TIRED of writi BAD CODE
I AM FUCKING TIRED OF SITTING THERE PULLING MY HAIR OUT BECAUSE MY CODE IS A PIECE OF SHIT AND DOES NEEDLESS OPERATIONS BECAUSE I WANT PRETTY CODE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Maybe just take a break and learn by reading some books?

THERE
IS
NOP
TIME TO READ BOOKS I CANT EVEN PASS FIRST YEAR COLLEGE BECAUSE MY NAZI PROFESSOR KEEPS FUCKING ME IN THE ASS AND SMILING ABOUT IT

Then stop being a jew

>Gaben
I really did not know who he was until 2 minutes ago

I just finished writing some collision code for a platformer I'm writing in rust. It seems solid enough now but I'm worried players will make or break it in more ways than I could ever fathom

>since I kind of ignore rotation It is even faster than bullet or the like
dont fool yourself into thinking you're getting performance gains just because it has to do one less transform per triangle
the collection detection code in bullet is probably better written than something you've come up with yourself

The performance gains are not in the collision detection but in the resolution.
There is rotation of objects (obviously), but things don't rotate when resolved (just like you would do with character controllers in games anyway).
This does save me actually quite a bit of work.
Also there are books about collision detection and reading the bullet source is possible, so I don't know why you are thinking my solution must be worse.

> year

Does your game run on linux? I would be willing to play it for a while and see if I can find any bugs.

Thanks user I'll check them out

not saying it's worse just saying don't get into the habit of lying to yourself about the performance of your own code when you aren't sure

>IVAN developer
let me suck your dick please

>for(int running = 1; running; )
I really hope you're using running in your loop somehow.

Yeah, that is a bad habit, which can happen.
But I set out to make this "physics"-engine not because I thought I would have better performance,
but because I disliked the interface of all physics engines I have found (all of them are kind of the same, some "world" on which you time-step).
I wanted something more immediate, where I decide exactly what happens by simply calling what happens.
Also with my position based approach some things are more obvious to do.
This gives me more freedom, and saves me from duplicating state.
I initially thought my performance would end up being worse (because I never did this before), but it wasn't the case.
It's more than good enough, and everything went better than expected.

Some years ago I made a small tower defense in Java from scratch. It was a university project so I had a team of 4 people.
All the graphics and sounds were made by me in Photoshop as well.

Attached: TD.jpg (1367x666, 315K)

Sick fuck

thats usually what a variable is used for, yes.

it's gonna be a city building game but more focused on global economy and government

forgot image

Attached: citybuildingblender.jpg (1920x1080, 326K)

Can anyone please give me some guides, books, or general tips for becoming a better programmer?
My programming consists of 30 minutes of thought per function. I just cannot shake the feeling I could be writing better, faster, simpler code.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

I'm already writing in C++

We did the same thing, but I'm in Sweden. I guess you are in Germany?

If you want to become a better programmer then stop writing C++.
I'm not even joking.

Do you use pen and paper/think before you program? I felt that first coming up with the pseudo code was a big improvement for my programing ability, there's a reason it's a tip everywhere.

I can't, I have to get past first year college and to do that I must be really good at C++. I cannot even imagine what'll happen next year with SDA and functional programming.
I mean, I tried Java and just breezed through a small book about it and aced a dozen hackerrank challenges. The syntax made so much god damn sense.
Yes but I end up like a mad scientist with a bucket full of trash next to me.

I want to do something with the id tech 4 engine
I hope id tech 5 and 6 get released to the public soon.

Attached: 1321821162763.jpg (582x480, 63K)

> I tried Java and just breezed through a small book about it and aced a dozen hackerrank challenges.
Wait, so you are doing good in Java but not in C++?
>Yes but I end up like a mad scientist with a bucket full of trash next to me.
Do you try to come up with everything at once, or do you break it into small parts?

Dude Java makes me go Elliot Alderson on xanax.
>everything at once
Yes, I hear noises in my head and thoughts buzz around like flies. I cannot sit down and think without shaking my legs and getting pissed off from his constant mocking.

So you only have problems with the C++ language it self?
Then you are obviously not writing pseudo code first, since that wouldn't be any different between the two languages. Maybe you should start with that.

I just don't see the point in C++ at all. It's needlessly hard and the stuff I want to do with it are often niggerlicious.
>pseudo code
How do I learn to write pseudocode?

Terrible.
It keeps repeating infinitely and never progresses to any particular point.

Attached: ouroboros.jpg (736x1085, 186K)

I have never used it, just C/Java/AVR assembly, so I can't speak for it.
>How do I learn to write pseudocode?
It's literally writing what you want the program to do for you, basically the algorithm, then you just have to translate that into the specific code. So if you have the pseudo code it should be much easier for you to "translate" that into C++ code than to come up with the C++ code directly. The pseudo code will also "work" for any language, since that's kinda the purpose of it.

There are many ways to write pseudo code (here are some en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocode) and the level of detail will wary depending on what you will use it for. I personal do it very basic when writing for myself.
like a program to write number 0 to x I would have it be:
for i 0 to x
write i

Or something similar

Of course not. I'm writing a compiler instead.

Trying to learn opengl but im a brainlet

is game maker really that easy?
something a brainlet like me could use?

What's the name of the genre TLOZelda is?
>has rpg
>has VN
any good knockoff game

it doesn't really have one
'action adventure' is what most people call it but thats pretty vague

sounds like a psychological problem

you can use bullet without stepping the world, i use it just for the collision and do the convex casted movement

What do I do about it? I can't afford expensive medicine or regular talk sessions.
That sounds like a Eureka moment for me. Thanks bub!

stop feeling insecure over your own abilities and focus on improving instead of telling yourself how bad you are

this

I'm asking about the genre because that is what I have in mind on doing after this summer break is over. I need to find related reference to do the project.

>If you want to become a better programmer then stop writing C++.
I would say to the contrary.

zelda is programmed like every other action game

The thing about low-level languages is that you have to know what you're doing to do it right.

Fuck off to /agdg/

you will never beat L.O.R.D.

That's with pretty much everything.

Not really, javascript is much easier.
A language where you would need to care about terminating zeroes is a heap of trouble to be honest.

Yes, but it sucks for that.
It could be much easier, and in fact I made it easier for myself.
Bullet fucking sucks in general. The code is a mess, the resolution isn't even any good.

But you are also a faggot.

>Yes, but it sucks for that.
how exactly? I'd rather use Bullet than learn the most efficient algorithms for the collisions between every shape
the only disadvantage is having to keep another copy of the transform data

what if you write C++ like C with classes

Excellent retort there. You absolutely blown me away with your riveting revelations.

Deprecated paradigm.

Then don't use C++.

Why deprecated?

what's the alternative then? C with structs and function pointers?

i can't imagine a big game without OO but maybe that's because i'm a pleb and it infected my brain

Because RAII exists as well as the confirmed fundamentals:
>abstraction and polymorphism
>reusability
>encapsulation

Start using the features that C++ 11 and onward gives you.

>maybe that's because i'm a pleb and it infected my brain
don't fall for the anti-OOP memers
they're lead by a bunch of C grognards from the 80s who like procedural programming arguing against a strawman of cargo cult Java programmers

any good beginner asset tutorial for action game?

probably, look one up for whatever tool you're using for development

Haha. Really?

>I'd rather use Bullet than learn the most efficient algorithms for the collisions between every shape
You would. I wouldn't. There are books about collision detection, and I picked out the ones I need. They even have code examples.
It took me a few days and I had implemented every one I wanted to have. It's not hard.
I tried reading through bullets code, and it's fucking garbage. Thats mostly because I hate C++, but still, it's no wonder the dude is still "trying" to port this shit to 3.0 and into a C-API.

"Classes" are a shitty ass concept that is even made more shitty in C++ by being implemented in a retarded way.
Just learn C. It's simple, it gets shit done. No worries.

Games don't need OO at all.
MOST Devs think that hierachical construction of game-entity behaviour is a retarded idea in 2018.
C++ Classes are used for dynamic dispatch and the like, but even then there are still pitfalls.
Function pointers are not really needed too.
Just program your game, and don't worry about generalizing everything _before_ you have written anything at all.

to be fair, java must be destroyed. a language that requires an IDE to write is fucking worthless to me.

No, not really.

There we go, fucking C fags raid a good thread again.
Fuck off, scumbag. Nobody wants a 10 page tooltips display and reading documentation as to the chronological calling of functions.

Yes
Everyone railing against OOP are people who learnt to program before it became popular, every paradigm is bad when treated as a silver bullet that can solve every problem, which is ironically what they're trying to do with their newly proposed paradigms like data-orientated design
OOP is good for games when used correctly

Go fuck off to /agdg/ where you came from.

>"Classes" are a shitty ass concept that is even made more shitty in C++ by being implemented in a retarded way.
Haha. Wrong. OOP was excellently implemented in C++. What the fuck you on about?

What's the problem with IDEs? Even for simple languages they are better than simple text editors.

>It's not hard.
It's not hard, but it's a mathematical problem with little room for innovation or personal preference so having the most efficient algorithms programmed by someone who knows what they're doing is better than me doing it myself
Calling it bad just because you don't want to use it is retarded, but I can see you're complaining about classes being bad aswell so apparently you have a severe case of dunning-kruger syndrome